Knitting!

Discussion in 'Workshop - DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Elegance.Is.Refusal., Dec 2, 2004.

1. Elegance.Is.Refusal.

its nearing winter in jolly old england and i was just wondering how many people knit?! because i love my scarves and love knitting i find it addictive how sad! i can only knit scarves tho straight lines and all that!

just wondering really if anyone out there likes to knit one pearl one aswell!?

2. urd

urd Active Member

i just finished knittind a black wool poncho. i can't describe myself as a greatest knitter in the world but i foud several different knitting istructions for a poncho from the net, just try google...

3. paprika_hiccup

paprika_hiccup Reanimated

Hi there :flower: Welcome to the TFS--

I design knitwear and love everthing to do with knitting :heart:

I love the basic premise of it especially-- that it is one looooong piece of twisted fibers, twisted and knotted in all different kinds of ways to produce a garment.

I've been hand-knitting and crocheting most of my life- my grandmother taught me as a child. Now I am working with a CAD program on my own designs and a double-bedded machine and even working on a brand new kind of design program myself. It has kind of usurped my own fashion-type work, but its really fascinating and may prove to be very innovative.

As for your question:

Knit one, purl one will produce a ribbed fabric if you knit all of the knits and purls all of the purls. Ribbing is stretchier than reg. garter knitting (knit one row, purl one row) and it is reversible.

K1, P1 will produce a seed stitch if you knit all of the purls and purl all of the knits (as they appear on the previous row). Seed stitch will produce a bulkier fabic that is also reversible. It's a very simple and attractive stitch.

I recommend that you buy a knitting stitch dictionary which will have swatches of hundreds of differnet stitches and directions on how to make them. Most will also have basic garmet shapes in them, too, in case your inspired to go beyond the scarf. :flower:

Try Amazon.com or half.com, you can get used knitting books for very cheap. Lots of people start knitting and then quit :cry:

I am always willing to help out a fellow knitter, so if you have a specific question obout something, feel free to message me :flower:

4. Elegance.Is.Refusal.

thanx for the advice i always seem to take up knitting every year because i love scarves you can never really have enough can you!

and for novelty purposes love making poms poms and putting them on things not really knitting but going along the same lines!

i do think knitting is lost on some people more people should take it up even if its something to do while watching the telly!

5. urd

urd Active Member

knitting while watching tv is quite addictive. now i feel i'm just wasting time if i'm reading or watching tv without knitting.. i'm so sad.....

6. clueless

clueless New Member

I've only recently learned how to knit.....and that's all I do, knit. I can't make anything at all, so it's like, uh, a blanket...yeah! A blanket...

7. Elegance.Is.Refusal.

im gonna start knitting another scarf soon i'l soon be back to those nights of sittin infront of the telly knitting away to my hearts content!

8. Aziandoll

Aziandoll New Member

I crochet... I want to try knitting, but it seems a bit complicated right now. So, I just crochet scarves, too! :smile:

9. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

PAPRICKA IS ALSO KNITTING ME A HAT!!!!!!!!

i've knit a mini sock before. my mother is an avid knitter

10. urd

urd Active Member

i promised to knit socks for my boyfriend. any advice? pom poms?

11. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

we have a whole thread on pompoms... :mrgreen:

12. helena

helena Swim Upstream

softgrey - are you still up?

13. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

pompoms...

14. urd

urd Active Member

u gotta luv them :heart:

15. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

I used to knit... I was forced though. Damn sexist boarding school. I was thinking of taking it up again though... more for artistic purposes than utilitarian though

16. urd

urd Active Member

thank god i'm right handed. knitting at school wasn't easy for lefties

17. Hanne

Hanne Storm & Sommer

I haven't properly knitted for ages...I recall knitting a sweater for my sister when I was 10 (and wanting to wash it before giving it to her..I scrank the pretty sweater so it afterwards only fitted her baby-doll :doh: )..but since then nothing..and I'm having trouble remembering different ways of knitting that I once knew :(

18. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous Active Member

I'm a crocheting maniac. If you're on my christmas list, expect something made of yarn. :wink:

Knitting is next..!

19. Hanne

Hanne Storm & Sommer

Whats the easiest way to learn how to crochet ??.. from the looks of internet sites..it looks difficult like its something you need to watch being done in order to "get" it :unsure:

20. fortezza

fortezza New Member

Yes I knit. My grandmother showed me how when I was a kid and a few years ago I took it up to try to quit smoking.

Unfortunatly I still smoke but I have tons of scarves :lol: