Lula #8 Spring/Summer 2009: Chanel Iman by Damon Heath

Even though I can't Chanel as a model, there should have and could have been more expression in this.

Oh my gosh I'm been hanging out for the next issue of Lula for ages.

I hate Chanel Iman though so this cover doesn't do ANYTHING for me. Maybe there is another cover?

i don't think so... :ermm: has Lula done multiple covers before?

On one hand I am glad that Lula is expanding their choice of models, buuuut...the cover is less than stellar, to say the least!

I don't know, I'm just so disappointed in Lula (especially for being a biannual magazine, I feel like they could have conjured up something a little more magical/exciting!) I feel like so many magazines start off as wonderful, and then, somehow, (in my opinion) become utterly dreadful (Nylon, Preen, etc.) I just really hope this "curse" isn't happening to Lula, because I honestly thought its wonderfulness would last forever :(

Ermm....you guys do know that 'antebellum' means PRE-civil war, correct? In my opinion, this cover looks absolutely NOTHING like the antebellum south (a vision I'd rather not conjure). Rather, this reminds me of the vacant portraits of housewives and/or school photos from 1950s America. I do see the slightly disturbing undertones in it, but certainly not pre-civil war references!

Ermm....you guys do know that 'antebellum' means PRE-civil war, correct? In my opinion, this cover looks absolutely NOTHING like the antebellum south (a vision I'd rather not conjure). Rather, this reminds me of the vacant portraits of housewives and/or school photos from 1950s America. I do see the slightly disturbing undertones in it, but certainly not pre-civil war references!

Thanks for that... because the first thing I thought of when I saw the cover was Coretta Scott King.

I do agree with the others that said they feel uncomfortable about it. I definitely felt the same. I guess it will be interesting to see the editorial that goes with it. I'm hoping to see another cover as well.

I do think she looks gorgeous but..I agree with the whole styling of this very old portraits of wives..like this is how it shud look
65tsee.jpg

same source jus edited

Last edited by a moderator:
^
:lol: that was my biggest pet peeve in American history last year - people who didn't know what antebellum meant. And here I am not thinking, and using it incorrectly. But I still think the styling makes me think of generally that area, but obviously Reconstruction. When I first saw the image the first thing I thought of was of Beloved.

I think everyone here knows what antebellum means. We've got a smart group of people on TFS and I'm sure our schools taught us that antebellum means pre-Civil War.

I won't dispute that the cover looks like it could be the style from the '50s or '60s. However, one can also date it back to the antebellum. There's something about the collar and the little bow.

I don't know how I feel about the cover. It looks like Chanel sat down for a yearbook photo.

Photo source: gonemovies.com

Attachments

• GonePrissy2.jpg
    GonePrissy2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2
  • virginia2.jpg
    virginia2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 5
^ I actually had no clue what antebellum meant, maybe they only teach it in US schools?

I still hate the cover, i was waiting for it to grow on me.

I think the vacant stare ads so much to it. It reminds me of those vintage portraits in which the people are always very stern or vacant...you wonder what they were really thinking. I don't get how the styling is offputting, I doubt they're trying to suggest anything.

I quite like it, Chanel looks lovely.

OMG,Here it is!!!
I dunno what to think...I was expecting something different.I like the vintage look but It should have been a bit more colourful, it's more appealing.Dunno maybe it will look far better in "person"... I must admit I love the headband and did you guys noticed that in the preview shots posted in the Cover Rumor Thread,Simona McIntyre wore the exact same headband only in a different colour...Maybe there's a link between those 2 shoots

I'm also hoping for another cover. Can't wait for the content, I wonder what their theme was for this issue, the 50's??

she's in total Luella SS 2009 ....
collection that I loved .....

catwalking.com

imo it looks more like when the Slaves got freed .... once they achieved the access to Universities etc.
And I'm sure it's not innocent (or maybe we shouldn't see every black on a cover as a direct sign to Obama election etc.)

I like it ... but there's really something lacking .... just one thing would make it look gorg' for a cover !
you wonder why they take off these things there were on the veil ... maybe it disappeared during some other shootings ... :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->