Marc Jacobs F/W 09.10 New York

i love this vision of the 80's waaaaaay better than last winters. but id agree with the earlier posters: it looks more marc by marc jacobs than regular marc jacobs and it lacks his normal tongue in cheek-ness. what makes these pieces any different from the original 80's horrors?

Very gaudy and over the top, but I have to admit the collection looks fun. I can't wait to see these looks in some amazing fashion editorials.

i do like it despite the fact that it looks a little gimmicky to me. ^ i agree i can't wait to see it in print.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Nocomment! I just ignorant Marc Jacob and LV for long time!!
I would love it If I'm hight!!

MJ used to be my favorite designer, but it seems that the past few years he's just declined, or maybe just headed in a different direction that doesn't appeal to me anymore :ermm:

^ This actually is quite reminiscent of past season LV collections.

No question in my mind, when Marc changed his own look, the sensibility of his own label changed as well ...

^ I guess I meant earlier Marc Jacobs line, not so much LV though. I agree with others that think the line is a little too "literal" in its 80s interpretation. While I feel experimenting is great, I like cohesive as well I guess :doh:

Another magnificent collection!!!! just wonderful and marverlous!!!!!

oh i really love this collection. sure the 80's thing comes off tacky but if you look at the whole collection from another point of view, you can see that there's soo many stunning seperates that i wouldn't mind having in my warddrobe. it's a really fun and cool collection and that's why i love it.

I agree! Come on. It's not *that* tacky. And besides there are always a few adjustments between the collection they show and the one in stores.

as a whole, this isn't much to my taste. HOWEVER, there are a few pieces here and there that i just adore.

There are definitely great pieces in there but the more I look at some of them the more I see Lanvin(different seasons combined). In total I wasn't surprised nor impressed.
I know that the economics have reach low levels but there are designers who have definitely exceled, even if lot smaller in production, hype and budget.

ugh, gotta say i hate this whole 80s throwback trend. it was bad enough the first time, it doesn't need a revival !!

LES/Brooklyn hipsters STAND UP!!!
that's about the right market for this stuff...
but they will just go to goodwill and buy an authentic 80's piece...or get the knkock off at h&m...

btw- i was around in the 80's and no one looked this bad:innocent:!!!...
i really think this is just a joke..
and the real money will be made in the accessories and with MARC by mj...
he's so comfortable that he can afford to take a season off really..
not like he's going out of business due to one bad collection...

:P

and this is BAAAAADDDD>>>>!!!!>>>>:yuk:...:sick:...

some of the hair and mk up is pretty good from a costume-y point of views..
that one girl looks JUST like Tina Chow~!...:shock:
* not that most of you even know who that is...

:lol::lol::lol:

that one girl looks JUST like Tina Chow~!...:shock:
* not that most of you even know who that is...

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's eerie how much she resembles Tina.

Whilst I agree with your idea with fashion acting as an antidote to reality; I think you're forgetting a vital point. Films, music and art are accessible and relatively affordable. High Fashion is neither. Furthermore, the people who have the luxury of purchasing these pieces - I think its safe to say - aren't affected by the economic crisis and don't need an escape.

Besides, one of the things that separates Marc Jacobs from the rest, and what makes him such a brilliant designer is that he obscures his references in his collections.

This is the first time he has blatantly taken an inspiration "The 80's" and not bothered to elaborate on it. That is what is most disappointing to me. Theres nothing new here because its way too referential.
But fashion is completely accessible. No, not everyone can afford to buy a piece from this collection, but anyone can afford to take inspiration from it. It's exactly the same as in the 40's. Movies weren't only an escape because you could sit in a theatre and become engrossed in the story playing out on the screen. They were an escape because the people, and particularly the women, could emulate the glamorous, sexy, beautiful people they saw on that screen without having to buy an original Adrian creation to do so. How else do you account for one of the most troubled periods in modern history also being one of the most glamorous in terms of fashion?

And I don't know that I agree with you that the Marc Jacobs customer wouldn't really be affected by this economic mess. Generally speaking his clothes appeal to the fashion hungry, particularly the young and fashion hungry, people who would gladly save half their paycheck for 3 months straight or max out a credit card just so they can get that "It" jacket from MJ. Sure he gets clients that have money to spend, but I'm sure that a significant portion of his clientele are people who make themselves afford his stuff.

That's why I think this collection, though not his best, is still very smart. It's going to create desire in people, and desire is the only thing that's going to get someone to buy in this economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This collection almost hurt my eyes with all those bright colors!

I think evetually it will grow in me!
atm I'm not so sure if I like it

his LV S/S 2009 was sublime , this is just utter garbage in comparison , its entertaining yes but , I do hope he is through with this 80s bug and goes back to the quirky clothes he makes , this is just too costumey and literal and horrendous , but he can have his off season ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CincyCritic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->