Maximilian Davis - Designer, Creative Director of Ferragamo

The crystal stuff is sold out but I’m concerned regarding the bags. None of them is appealing…
It's quite interesting that a sparkly two-piece and a dress sold out before one of the Wanda bags or those Gancini heels. They need to push those bags more because I haven't seen then since the runway show.

The collection preview seems to be doing well so far:
Ferragamo’s Gobbetti Touts Davis’ Designs
Ferragamo CEO Marco Gobbetti expressed satisfaction with the reception of creative director Maximilian Davis' collections as the company reported growth in profitability and sales.

By LUISA ZARGANI
NOVEMBER 8, 2022, 2:53PM

MILAN — Marco Gobbetti has full confidence in Maximilian Davis’ design skills as he leads the Ferragamo turnaround.

During a conference call with analysts on Tuesday evening to discuss the performance of the luxury brand during the first nine months of the year, which saw a 17.2 percent increase in revenues, the chief executive officer and general manager touted the success of Davis’ first collection, shown in Milan last September for spring 2023.

“His style is now out in the open, he is an elegant designer, his clothes are elegant, and they have a high component of sexiness,” said Gobbetti of Davis, who was appointed creative director of Ferragamo in March.

While starting from tailoring, Davis offers daily pieces that are “also sportswear, technical and versatile. He has an incredible level of taste and a very specific style in mind. He knows where he wants to go and has a good eye,” continued Gobbetti, saying that Davis had already “done a lot of work on shoes and handbags.”

Responding to an analyst, he said “compared to other designers, [Davis] is quite specific, and his offer is special and unique, without a high degree of branding and logo, marrying very well with the heritage and positioning of Ferragamo in luxury. It was a successful start.”

While the bulk of Davis’ designs will be available in stores next year, Ferragamo unveiled an edited preview of his debut collection, called A New Dawn, available to purchase for one month ahead of its official spring 2023 release, as reported.

“It was delivered on time and fully, and we are very pleased with the increased agility of our supply chain, which performed very well,” said Gobbetti. The capsule has so far received “a strong endorsement,” although he admitted it was “quite early” for a final review. But he underscored that it was a “relatively low volume of product delivery. The main objective is to keep the conversation going with customers.”

Gobbetti trumpeted continued growth in revenues in the third quarter, “ensuring especially the quality of sales throughout all our distribution channels” at full price. “We delivered progress in our operating profit and cash flow for the first nine months, while implementing the planned increase of marketing and communication expenses.”

In the nine months ended Sept. 30, net profit, including a minority interest, jumped 69.2 percent to 67 million euros, compared to 40 million euros in the same period last year, on revenues that reached 921 million euros. This compares with 785 million euros in the same period last year.

Operating profit climbed 34.8 percent to 114 million euros.

Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization were up 19.5 percent to 241 million euros.

Retail sales rose 17.5 percent to 667.6 million euros, while the wholesale channel registered a 26 percent increase in sales to 260.4 million euros.

In the nine months, revenues in the Asia Pacific region registered a 2.1 percent increase to 315.7 million euros, representing 34 percent of the total. They were down 5.4 percent at constant exchange. The performance was impacted by the persistence of the restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, in particular in China.

“China in the third quarter started off positive and the trend continued until early or mid-August, but started deteriorating with the new restrictions and was negative in September, which was significantly more difficult than July and August,” said Gobbetti. “October was the same as September, traffic was down and the consumer sentiment not the same as July and August.”

However, the executive emphasized that he was “confident that when the zero-COVID[-19] restrictions are lifted, business will improve. We have so much newness and opportunities,” although he admitted to limited visibility. At the moment, 10 percent of Ferragamo’s stores are closed in China and 70 percent of units are impacted by some form of restriction, he noted.

Korea and Taiwan continued to perform well, and Southeast Asia accelerated, while Hong Kong and Macao remain “difficult.”

Sales in Japan were up 19.9 percent to 72.8 million euros.

The Europe, Middle East and Africa region posted a 37.3 percent increase in sales to 202.1 million euros, accounting for 21.8 percent of the total. “It was a very good quarter in Europe, with record tourism boosted by North Americans, and very strong business,” said Gobbetti.

Revenues in North America were up 29.6 percent to 276.7 million euros, representing 29.8 percent of the total.

Sales in Central and South America rose 37 percent to 60.7 million euros.

By category, footwear sales climbed 23.5 percent to 419.6 million euros and leather goods were up 13.1 percent to 388 million euros.

Shoes and leather categories combined represented 87 percent of total sales.

Apparel was up 32.4 percent to 59.8 million euros.

Gross profit increased by 24.4 percent to 662 million euros. Its incidence on revenues was up 420 basis points, driven by the improvement of the full/off-price ratio and the positive impact of currencies.

“The quality of sales is one of our priorities, and we significantly decreased the percentage of off-price sales to the mix, which reinforces brand equity and the timelessness of our products,” Gobbetti observed.

Healthy margins allow Ferragamo to offer “important leverage for the investments we want to make in 2023,” he said. “While mindful of the environment and the volatility of the context, if anything we are ever more convinced of our investments.”

Gobbetti said the company was “fully on track on all its strategic priorities.”

In the nine months, operating costs amounted to 548 million euros, up 22.5 percent, and capital expenditures totaled 30 million euros compared with 26 million euros last year, mainly due to renovations of the retail network and investments in the digital channel.

Gobbetti said the company has “a healthy inventory, which is under control and slightly lower than the previous year. It’s an orderly transition, I don’t expect significant write-downs.”

The adjusted net financial position was positive for 353 million euros compared with 265 million euros positive at the end of September 2021.
WWD

The collection preview seems to be doing well so far:

WWD

It sounds like the capsule that was available for purchase wasn't a commercial exercise so much as it was about keeping the conversation around the collection going.

I don't think we'll be able to make any worthwhile assessment of Davis's commercial impact until this time next year.

Imo he still has a lot to prove when it comes to delivering the actual, literal goods.

well according to gobbetti ricardo's burberry was a huge success as well
i don't for a second believe this guy is going to last at ferragamo

But his Burberry is successful. We maybe hate it on the creativity side but his clothes sold well in Asia, especially his TB monograms stuff.
His departure is more about the company's internal arrangements rather than his performance. He delivered the numbers the suits asked him for.

Maximilian already has a strong start with his debut. If he can keep the same momentum with each collection then he has nothing to fear.

For the bags and shoe departments, it'll take time. I feel like these days it gets harder and harder to create an It bag or It shoes. But the aura of good clothes can have a positive effect on these two departments.
I mean it takes Riccardo 5-6 years to create the Agora so as long as the clothes are good MD will be fine.

I don't hate the new logo, at least it's not the same old sans serif like someone said on the first page.

I'm also ok with them dropping Salvatore's name from the brand since Ferragamo, as long as I've known of the brand, has been mostly referred to by the singular surname anyway - e.g. no one ever refers to a pair of Ferragamo shoes as being from "Salvatore Ferragamo".

Wonder what's going to happen to the shoes and bags - I was sad they discontinued the Sofia, but my Vara and Varinas are some of my favourite shoes and I hope they don't go into cost cutting and eliminate things like the different widths you get shoes in (one of the few brands that does that). It's never been the hottest brand of the season as long as I've been alive, but it was a reliable source for quality classic shoes that didn't pinch and wouldn't shock your granny. I would be sad if that was lost in the search for buzz (Ferragamo was hardly in pre-Nicolas Balenciaga or pre-Galliano Dior levels of moribund before).

^I'm cautiously optimistic - it was a good start, and had an actual point of view which is something that seems to be missing from some of these new gen designers at much bigger houses (coughmatthewilliamscough). Ferragamo is never going to be McQueen, and I don't want it to be, but the fashion offerings could be stepped up a notch without ditching the classics they're known for.

I like the new Ferragamo Logo for itself, but I think it doesn't fit to the brand, because of the heritage.

The reintroduction of the Saint Laurent "Rive Gauche" Logo is something different.
Hedis vision was to use the "Saint Laurent" Logo for Ready to wear.
He wanted to use the "Yves Saint Laurent" Logo by Cassandre for Couture. (as would be historically correct). Slimane wanted to work with both lines.
Slimane has bought a Building for the couture ateliers on 24 Rue de l'université in his YSL time. He has even modernized the building to have a new base for YSL.
Slimane's contract was prematurely terminated by Kering before he could implement his vision.
YSL-Couture was buried by Kering
This is also the reason why there are many misunderstandings about the "Saint Laurent" logo.
Don't forget:
Slimane had previously worked under Yves personally and was a friend of Pierre Bergé. He knew exactly how to manage the legacy.

Correct but remember that Hedi wanted the control over the beauty and fragances , which have been sold to L'Oréal by Kering.
Also Gucci Group then Kering never had the company nor the rights for YSL Haute Couture. They belonged personnally to Yves, it was a separate entity which operated independantly from Del Sole, Ford or Pinault. Couture rights (and most of the archives) were then inherited by Pierre Bergé and now his heir.
So I don't know what Kering promised Hedi but they knew full well they were not allowed to do Haute Couture. And aren't still now, at least without the approval of the heir.

So I don't know what Kering promised Hedi but they knew full well they were not allowed to do Haute Couture. And aren't still now, at least without the approval of the heir.

They were never going to do an Haute Couture showing. It was aways just ‘couture’ because they can get away with it. Hedi circumvented with crediting it as ‘YVES SAINT LAURENT COUTURE by Hedi Slimane’ with the Cassandre logo and ‘Yves’ doing the differentiation. No ‘haute’ and all the legalities with it. I imagine if he didn’t leave and wanted to push it they’d just do two womenswear shows with one acting as the ‘couture’ show like how his last one went. Still quite unnecessary now with Anthony’s latest womenswear collections being more the show pieces most couture shows are.

I recon I haven't been in a Ferragamo store in years, for me it was all old lady garments and grandpa ties. So I went to get impressions. The new collection was certainly a departure from that and the capsule available right now is quite enjoyable, but:
1) it's not extremely different from what you can find at lesser know brand (ombré tops, strassed trousers)
2) bags aren't good enough yet (Wanda is quite meh)
3) the price point is not justified yet, they're pricing like they're Gucci or YSL, but are still very far behind, in term of brand premium.

It would be funny if Alessandro Michel lands here , because their stores are always empty and YSLforever correctly said their pricing is on par with Gucci, YSL and even Prada.

Ferragamo Sales Decline Slightly in Q1 as US Weighs

Sales at Italian luxury group Salvatore Ferragamo declined by 6.5 percent at constant exchange rates in the first quarter, hit by a slowdown in the US market, the company said on Thursday.

Revenues totalled €278 million ($305 million), broadly in line with analyst expectations of €280 million, according to a Refinitiv consensus.

At the end of February, the first products designed by the new creative director, Maximilian Davis, arrived in the group’s stores.

However, they have “not yet contributed meaningfully to the sales performance”, chief executive Marco Gobbetti said in a statement.

Sales in North America fell by 23.4 percent in the quarter, mainly due to the rationalisation of the distribution network, while they posted an improving trend in China.

The Covid-19 pandemic crisis has hit family-owned Ferragamo just as the company was striving to rejuvenate its historic brand, famous for the shoes worn by Hollywood stars such as Audrey Hepburn.

Gobbetti, who joined in early 2022 from Burberry, has promised a quick turnaround, vowing to increase investments, revamp stores and attract younger customers to double 2021 revenues to almost €2.3 billion by 2026.

“We remain confident in our plans and confirm our mid-term ambition”, he said in the post-results conference call with analysts.

Analysts outline that quarterly sales are still highly exposed to the old collection and the wholesale channel the group aims to streamline.

“The results are not meaningful for assessing the potential of the new product offering,” Intesa Sanpaolo analysts said in the bank’s daily report.

Davis was appointed creative director in March last year as part of the new CEO’s plans to revamp the brand.

By Claudia Cristoferi, Editor Federico Maccioni
BOF

The messiest part about the whole thing is while Davis' first collection has already been available online for a couple of months, it has only arrived in stores a couple of weeks ago.

I really want Davis' tenure to be successful, but I'm not feeling too hopeful...

The first thing I did when reading this news was going to the website and have overall view of their bags offering…
It makes sense…
They have a terrible line of bags and shoes. It’s either very bourgeois and boring or either old fashion and ugly. I only saw one good looking bag at a very fair price…

I still think that raising the prices on the first season of Maximilian was a bad idea. Ferragamo’s direct competition is Tod’s and at Tod’s they have a better looking line of bags and a very coherent line of products overall at a better price range.

This decline in sales is a wake-up call to accelerate Maximilian’s creative imput into all the parts of the brand. Prefall is arriving soon in the stores and FW will start arriving by late August but Maximilian needs to be hands-on the permanent collection.

It has the potential to work but all the potential has to be exploited. His sophomore collection had more commercial appeal overall than the first one. The marketing and business side have to step their game up tho.

I have just spent the week in Venice (Venizia) where they have a superbly located shop, with a much better location than Chanel, Gucci or YSL. Millions of tourists are passing by this shop every year.
They have not even remodeled it, it's exactly the same as in 2018, the uniforms are the same, the windows are super lame compared to the rest of the streets, and I saw no-one with a Ferragamo shopping bags but tons with other brands (Celine, YSL, Chanel, Hermes, BV, you name it).

I think the problem is that it isn’t a status symbol or marker of wealth nor is it cool, fun, or edgy enough at the moment, despite it being a storied house, which is what drives a lot of sales in the luxury market. Until the brand can make a splash in either category, it’s not going to get much visibility or sales.

It's still way too early to to make any assessments. The new Ferragamo has only been in stores for how long?

A 4% drop in revenue after a huge rebranding and a completely new assortment is not that crazy.

That said there's no apparent IT shoe or bag. And with a relaunch like this, it really needs one. Or two. Or three.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velaryon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->