Men's Vogue September 2007 : Tony Blair by Norman Jean Roy

MissMagAddict

Reaction score

image source | mensvogue

By Roger Cohen | excerpt: The garden of the British high commissioner's residence in Pretoria commands a fine view of the South African capital, an unlovely town distinguished by a lone architectural jewel, the Union Buildings with their semi-circular limestone colonnades. Cannon salvos and a white-gloved honor guard had welcomed the U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair earlier in the day to this colonial-era monument, home to the presidency, and I had thought: He will miss the heady pomp of office even after a decade as prime minister. He will miss the red carpets, the tensed bayonet-clutching soldiers, the gun salutes, the leaders like Thabo Mbeki waiting to usher him into the inner sanctums where history gets shaped. Power is adrenaline; the Sicilians say it is better than sex.

But sitting then with Blair—at the end of his four-day trip to Libya, Sierra Leone, and South Africa—on the manicured lawn of one of his country's diplomatic outposts, tea being served, the June sun setting with African abruptness, it was clear that he was already looking forward, beyond being Europe's most powerful head of state, to other grand challenges: "Call me a wild-eyed optimist, but I do think there are lessons from Northern Ireland for the Middle East. What it requires is an absolutely intensive focus."
With Blair, you begin and end with the eyes. His dark suits and white shirts and generally modest ties (with an occasional splash of Paul Smith boldness) are unremarkable, sending you back to his most arresting feature. Blue and warm in laughter, the eyes can harden to a gemlike intensity that has its measure of ice. This is his talisman. It is an expression that speaks of the willfulness beneath the geniality.

He fixes me with that gaze and says, "Look, it won't happen without someone there in the Middle East. The only reason we got the breakthrough in Northern Ireland was that we did in the end focus on it with such intensity over such a period that every little thing that went wrong—and everything that could go wrong did at some point—was all the time being managed and rectified. Jonathan Powell, my chief of staff, once said to me that the important thing about this is that at any time we can't solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again. What you never do is let the thing govern itself."

Call this the bicycle approach to peacemaking: If you don't keep moving forward, especially when the bombs go off, everything topples. But, I put it to Blair, had the Bush administration not done the exact opposite with Israel-Palestine: allowed the mess to fester because Washington is a one-issue town and the issue has been Iraq? He pauses a moment—unusual in a man of such fluid articulateness—before saying, "Put it this way: I am glad they have now focused. Because my view of the Middle East is that we are on a long-term mission to sort it out. If you look at extremism in Pakistan or Chechnya or other parts of the world, extremism on the streets of Spain or France or wherever, it wasn't born there but imported in."

Sort it out—a bloke's colloquialism that says Blair does not believe in half-measures. At 54, three years past a cardiac procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat, he has not mellowed but hardened. The 9/11 attacks on the United States produced what he describes as "a moment of complete and total conviction." It helped him identify his goals, despite post-Iraq approval ratings in the U.K. that hovered in the low thirties, near Bush's in the U.S. That certainty, unshaken by the mayhem in Baghdad, involves a belief "that we have to root this terrorism out" in what he sees as a generational fight against Islamist fanaticism. Blair believes much of that struggle depends, because of its religious and strategic charge, on the Israeli–Palestinian confrontation. This holy terrain is where, as Blair once put it to Congress, "the poison is incubated" before ending up in Glasgow or London or New York.

ugh, I almost get sold by Cohen's semi-poetic description but boo hoo, I can always trust Blair to burst the bubble for me, he's persuasive like every other Englishman but something on the way keeps giving it all away.. :magic: :lol:

Clothes that catch her eye sounds like a nice read.

thanks for the pic and article, Maggy Mag!. :P:heart:

Nicolas Sarkozy is at the moment in the US... maybe our (I'm so sad to say this) President is gonna be on the cover of Men's Vogue...
+ I've heard Anna Wintour wrote a letter to Cecilia Sarkozy (on-off Nicolas Sarkozy's wife, a real Femme de Pouvoir, not to say a b**** .... ) because she happened to know La Première Dame de France wore Prada, too... and maybe to do an itw about her, at the same time...
Honestly I must say Anna Wintour is way much chic than Madame Sarkozy... She dresses good but wears it bad...

oops sorry this is ab. not the subject....

MMA thanks alot for posting. :flower:

I like the cover,always thought he is handsome,and the colour scheme is nice.Wonder what oter pictures are like.

+ I've heard Anna Wintour wrote a letter to Cecilia Sarkozy (on-off Nicolas Sarkozy's wife, a real Femme de Pouvoir, not to say a b**** .... )
Oh oui, une très belle salope.
I would not be surprised by a Sarkozy cover. He is very American in his style and his politics, so that would make sense. Now if only he could stay there forever...

this is the worst magazine ever. about as interesting as door nails.

At least when it goes bust, they can blame the 'overall bad environment for print magazines' rather than realising it's simply becoming a bad magazine. It's stopped being sold in shops in my country, which I did mind when I realised I'd missed the Federer cover, but every issue since won't be a loss.

Hm Hmmmmm...

Friday August 16th
Russell Labosky, creative director at Men's Vogue, has resigned.
Mark Jacobson, photo editor at Men's Vogue, has resigned.
Maria Sacasa, communications associate at Vogue, has resigned
source | fwd

^^WOW,i guess this magazine is going to fold aswell.To bad i loved it. :(

source | wwd

MINUS AND PLUS: This month, just as Men's Vogue goes to 10 issues a year, it's lost its third staffer and added one. Associate editor Ashley Muldoon followed creative director Russell Labosky and photo editor Mark Jacobson out the door — like them, without another job lined up. A spokeswoman for the magazine said Muldoon was leaving to be a freelance writer, and that Tasha Green, previously assistant to editor in chief Jay Fielden, has been promoted to associate editor. Her arguably unwieldy portfolio includes "grooming, architecture and design." Corey Seymour, who spent a decade at Wenner Media — including a stint as Hunter S. Thompson's assistant, and later as senior editor at Men's Journal — has joined Men's Vogue to be senior editor. "Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson," the book on which Seymour shares credit with Jann Wenner, will be released Oct. 31.

As for those other empty spots on the masthead, associate art director Courtney Sava has been promoted to art director, "overseeing all art, photo and design for the magazine." The spokeswoman declined to say whether the magazine would be making more hires in the department.

However, she denied contentions made by sources close to the magazine that the departures reflect growing staff dissatisfaction because the two-year-old title is strained for resources, both human and financial.

Seeing a magazine slowly go downhill is always sad in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->