MET Costume Institute Gala 2018:"Heavenly Bodies: Fashion & the Catholic Imagination"

Just saw Elon Musk and Grimes photo. gagged and pulled out my throat. Too good to be true

Issa Rae

Joe Jonas

Adut Akech

Lena Dunham

Hailey Baldwin

Deepika Padukone

Adwoa Aboah

Yara Shahidi

Alek Wek

Anya Taylor

Cynthia Erivo

Kiersey Clemons

Diane Kruger

Mindy Kaling

Gabrielle Union

Andrew Garfield

Poppy Delevigne

Paris Jackson, Stella McCartney & Miley Cyrus

Ansel Elgort

Emily Ratajkowski

Jaden Smith

Cindy Crawford

Laura Harrier

Kate Upton

I have a soft spot for Grimes but she does have a few double standards and therefore makes total sense with garbage like Elon Musk..

Natalia and Alex looked great :heart:.. I thought Shailene and her ‘flight attendant of this Mars-bound aircraft’ getup was one of the worst but nah, she was just two years too late for the futuristic theme, the absolute worst for me was Selena Gomez.. I feel like in general it must be difficult to dress her and make her stand out because she doesn’t have anything physically remarkable going on and to keep putting her in these tragic creations by Coach (of all things) that literally look like a DIY project of old curtains or a pillow cover plus psychotic hair that’s supposed to drive attention immediately to the ethereal face she does not have, why...

Also secretly amused by how null that Emily girl becomes the moment she covers her boobs :lol:..

Last edited by a moderator:
Best
Taylor Hill, The Gucci Squad and Christian Louboutin were realy fun and kitschy in all the right ways.
Juliette's look was a little too 80's for my taste but it was wonderful.
Anne Hatheway wearing my favorite Valentino dress even if totally out of theme.
Kim K was perfect, on theme but not try-hard, same goes for JLo.
I've grown tired of Zendaya but that dress is glorious either way, best dressed for me.
Eiza Gonzalez giving me telenovela villain vibes mixed with Walter Mercado, so bad it's good.
Andreea Diaconu looks was so expensive and chic.
Diane Krueger, it's a bit too much for her height but it does make for quite a moment from behind.
Rihanna as the Pope, obviously.
Anna Wintour in that pristine silver look, the cross was in theme yet tasteful.

Nice try but...
Imaam Hammam we've all seen Balenciaga single seam and chou dress and this is nowhere near that level of perfection.
Blake Lively, her crotch is so distracting and I hate printed thights.
Madonna looks like she Pretty in Pink'd her dress with some cheap table cloth, the idea is not bad but the execution is messy af plus her face looks so droopy with that veil.
Ariana Grande too much highlighter and that headpiece looks like it belongs on a five year old bed. The dress would have looked cute in her otherwise.
Cardi B is just too overwhelming, a sexy Virgin Mary look would have sufficed.
Rooney Mara looking like a wax statue is not surpising but kind of sad considering I liked that Givenchy dress.
Frances McDormand. It doesn't suit her but at least she had fun.

Worst
Scarlett as a soccer mom in a fundraiser gala was particularly awful.
The SL squad looking haggard in those sad glittery rags, no glamour.
Lena Dunham looking like one of the ugly step sisters in an 80's remake of Cinderella.
Kate Upton, that dress is too tacky even for her.
Cara Delevingne looks lie she dyed her hair in her home's sink and that dress makes her look like a confessional booth.
Sofia Coppola was carrying so much fabric on her small frame it made me uncomfortable.
Chadwick Boseman's suit is wearing him, too much of everything and he looks like the Pope Mobile came to life.
Greta Gerwig looks like a demented nun ala Nurse r*tchet.
Lena Waithe, sorry but that's tacky, period.
Shailene Woodley.

A Met Gala Cater Waiter Tells All!

written by The Daily Front Row
May 25, 2018

What’s it like to work the Met Gala?
It’s like any other catering gig. I held a heavy-*** tray of Aperol spritzes for 90 minutes before I got a break. My back is so f**ked up!

And you’re in great shape!
Right!? I was excited to work the event. They wanted model staffers, so I thought I’d be one of the guys in tuxedos, greeting guests on the steps of the Met. Nope!

Did you enjoy the experience?
I would have been so bored to be a guest. It’s not exciting—at all. You show up, do red carpet, you have cocktails in the Egyptian room for an hour, and then the A-listers show up right at the last minute. This year was Catholic-themed, and there was a church choir singing. And then they sat down for a dinner that went super fast because Anna [Wintour] is a stickler for efficiency. They were on our ***es about timing. I get it. Whatever!

Keep going!
Madonna! Her performance took way too long to get going. All the celebrities were leaving. They put six of us waiters by the exit of The Met to direct people to a different exit. People were not having it. They were like, “F**k this! This dress is so crazy huge. Let me out now!” Madonna started her set with singing monks and it would have been cute if they sang for a minute, but she let them go on for like five minutes, which is why everyone peaced out. Rita Ora and a bunch of models were like, “Bye!”

How were the celebs behaving?
People were so obnoxious. Of course, it’s not the ones who are actually famous. It’s not the Hugh Jackmans. [Redacted teenage C-lister] pulled me aside from my duties and asked for bread. He wasn’t at a premium table, so he hadn’t been served yet. Sorry! There was also this other model who I had to look up on the Internet. [Ed. note: One of the most famous models in the world.] When we were telling people they had to use the alternate exit she said, “You can’t hold people here against their will! That’s illegal. That’s kidnapping.” The way she was behaving was disgusting. She was complaining to us about how heavy her dress was. Did anybody force her to wear it?

Maybe! What were the rules?
Our cell phones were confiscated the second we walked onto the property. No texting, no photos. I’m surprised they didn’t make us sign an NDA!

Thank heavens for that! Did they discourage you from talking to the celebrities?
They wanted us to limit our interactions. They didn’t want to seem messy. Their whole thing was about focus, precision, and speed. When we were serving, the only thing we were allowed to say was, “May I?” There was no, “Heeey, want a spritz?”

What time did you arrive?
We showed up at 2 p.m. in dress pants, dress shoes, a belt, and a white undershirt. They give us a button-down, a bow tie, and an apron. Then we started rehearsing. We had three days of rehearsal.

Three days!?
We had a French service rehearsal, because [redacted editrix] requested French service. We all had to go down to the caterer’s head office and practice French serving a table while we were timed. Originally, they wanted to do old-school spoon-and-fork French service, but they didn’t have enough servers. They finally decided to use tongs.

What was the other rehearsal for?
The day before the event was rehearsal for choreography of service in the actual Met. On the day of the event, we did a full rehearsal before they put us into place at 6 p.m. with our trays of drinks.

How much does this gig pay?
I got $30 an hour, which is pretty low. I usually make $40–$50 an hour in this type of gig.

Was there a lot of binge drinking?
Some celebrities tried to take bottles from the bar and hid them around the museum so they could have their own stash.

Did you see smoking?
Everyone was smoking constantly throughout the party, but they were mostly into e-cigs this year. Some celebs were walking around blatantly smoking weed pens.

Did you get a chance to have dinner?
They always feed us. This year, it was big pans of lasagna and salad, and a vegetable lasagna for people who don’t eat meat. There was also a peanut-butter-and-jelly station for those who didn’t feel like waiting in line for the lasagna. I couldn’t resist!

This conversation gets better by the minute. Which celebs did you serve?
Andrew Garfield grabbed a glass of water from me. It took everything in me to not tell him he was fabulous in Angels in America.

Would you do it again?

Probably not. The real celebrities, like Sarah Jessica Parker, were lovely. It was the people who are trying to make it in the Hollywood game who were the most obnoxious. I wouldn’t work it again, but obviously, if I’m invited as a guest, I’ll go.

Source: Fashionweekdaily.com

Ok I know I’m coming in 6 months too late, but is anyone going to say ANYTHING about Ariana Grande?? Imo one of the best dressed. She went all out on the theme, the colours of her dress are breathtaking, her bronzed goddess skin goes perfectly, she’s not wearing a stupid *** halo but instead a gorgeous, soft and radiant bow, and LOOK AT HER NAILS DAMMIT. Plus her usual eyeliner only adds to it all. It’s not surprising she did well with the Met because she’s a Halloween fanatic and always rises to that occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->