Met Costume Institute Gala 2019 : Camp: Notes on Fashion

Some members in the forum might have better interpretation to the theme (if they were invited)

What a waste of an event!

I was really looking forward to this and 90% of the people look like they are attending a Carnival party. Such a shame that instead of Haute couture, stellar creations, all you see is trashy dresses with feathers. The Met is not about fashion anymore but about who creates the most buzz with their look. Oh well.

I see that most of the people interpreted Camp as feathers or carnival. Whatever, Ididnt't expect much.. Most of the looks are too simple or too tacky.
Best dressed to mer are Anna in Chanel, Florence and Saoirse in Gucci, Gaga in Maxwell because of her attitude, Aquaria in Margiela, Hailee in V&R and I actually liked Kim in Mugler.

@Benn98..Wait, I thought I was the resident expert in that whole men-in-skirts movement.

Speakin of which...how handsome does the cast of B'ways "Ain't Too Proud" look in their Thom Browne finery? (src: justjared)

upload_2019-5-7_13-14-23.jpeg

Céline looks amazing. Great look!

another year of pretty gowns and very few following the theme, which is disappointing cuz camp is fun!

kudos to janelle (as always), billy porter, tracee, violet, ezra, lupita, brandon urie.

i'm very disappointed no one wore this:
viktor-rolf-fall-2005-ready-to-wear-00470h-hana-soukupova.jpg

camping & camp

cr: vogue

That's funny, people in the same thread complained that no one looked 'chic' and that it was too wacky and now there were too many pretty gowns? I guess there's no pleasing everyone, but I think there were plenty of looks that I wouldn't define as pretty or conventional.

I think it was an enjoyable red carpet! It's best not to take it too seriously.

Ezra, Tracee, Cody, Elle, Janelle, Saoirse, Florence, Laverne, Billy, Zoe K. and dare I say Kim were my favourites.

Last edited:
Also forgot Madelaine Petsch who looked magical in Gaultier. It's a shame not enough people are talking about this look.

onUJrRf.jpg

zimbio.com

And of course, I can't forget Aquaria and Violet as well as Lily-Rose in vintage Chanel.

TvryxTk.jpg

1QqdVpy.jpg

pdwkg3y.jpg

zimbio.com

I don’t get some of the comments guys...
I think this is a good MET GALA!
You seems to forget that those people are celebrities, they are very cautious about their image, their « brand » as annoying as this might be.
That’s why Gwyneth will always be boring, the same for Gisele!

Unless you have a stylist like Cardi B has who is willing to push things in order to secure the fashion pedigree of their artist, we won’t see really amazing runway pieces.

I would have loved to see Vintage Dior by Galliano on the RC but Dior will never let anyone wear something from a previous designer under a new creative direction.

It’s a pity that the Met Gala RC is really focused on the celebrities because I think some of the socialites really dressed well for the event.

Of Course it’s a circus...As every entertainment event is. That’s what draws people in.
I’m sure the majority of the people are excited to go see the exhibition based on the excessive coverage of the Redcarpet!

I don’t get some of the comments guys...
I think this is a good MET GALA!
You seems to forget that those people are celebrities, they are very cautious about their image, their « brand » as annoying as this might be.
That’s why Gwyneth will always be boring, the same for Gisele!

Unless you have a stylist like Cardi B has who is willing to push things in order to secure the fashion pedigree of their artist, we won’t see really amazing runway pieces.

I would have loved to see Vintage Dior by Galliano on the RC but Dior will never let anyone wear something from a previous designer under a new creative direction.

It’s a pity that the Met Gala RC is really focused on the celebrities because I think some of the socialites really dressed well for the event.

Of Course it’s a circus...As every entertainment event is. That’s what draws people in.
I’m sure the majority of the people are excited to go see the exhibition based on the excessive coverage of the Redcarpet!
It’s not that I have a problem with the event being celebrity driven...it’s more an issue that the current crop of celebrities we have to endure are all extremely tacky and very low brow...this generation of celebrities are not chic, and none with a lick of personal style or propriety.

I love 90’s and early 00’s celebrity red carpet and off-duty fashion. Even some of its more outrageous moments showed that the celebrity had some concept of culture and style and individualism. Björk in the Swan dress is so endearing for many reasons, but as silly as the dress is...her messy bed-head hair and natural, make-up-free rosy cheeks are a smart and chic balance to the campy dress.

That same dress, if worn last night, would be worn with some giant Victoria Secret wings, bedazzled platform boots, spike-studded shoulder pads, a face full of cheap, glued on rhinestones, a showgirl feathered headdress and a team of two assistants trailing behind with blue silk flapping in the wind to mimic the water the swan swims in.

Anna's gown was designed by Karl before he died. That alone just makes her dress even more special to me.

Gaga's entire Maxwell ensemble might not as campy as others but the performance that she built around it catapulted her attendance into one of the most memorable moments of the Gala. I honestly thought that she would adorn herself with either Gucci, because of the event sponsorship or Margiela.

I would have thought to see far more Tomo Koizumi - the way he was welcomed to the New York fashion scene just three months ago and the way his dresses fit the theme. Yet I have only seen one dress from him in the background of a MET Gala picture.

I love 90’s and early 00’s celebrity red carpet and off-duty fashion. Even some of its more outrageous moments showed that the celebrity had some concept of culture and style and individualism. Björk in the Swan dress is so endearing for many reasons, but as silly as the dress is...her messy bed-head hair and natural, make-up-free rosy cheeks are a smart and chic balance to the campy dress.

So true, and what a perfect example of camp!!

I'm also with @June too regarding the near absence of Tomo. It must be a 'money' thing, meaning he doesn't have the budget to participate? I think? I also don't recall seeing any Matty Bovan or new designers. And as a man, I'd personally have gone for KTZ. But I get that it's still business as usual, see SLP and LV.

It’s not that I have a problem with the event being celebrity driven...it’s more an issue that the current crop of celebrities we have to endure are all extremely tacky and very low brow...this generation of celebrities are not chic, and none with a lick of personal style or propriety.

That same dress, if worn last night, would be worn with some giant Victoria Secret wings, bedazzled platform boots, spike-studded shoulder pads, a face full of cheap, glued on rhinestones, a showgirl feathered headdress and a team of two assistants trailing behind with blue silk flapping in the wind to mimic the water the swan swims in.

I also love those redcarpets but that’s what we are left for!
Celebrities totally understand the impact of a look at the MET. And so are brands now...
And you know that some people are afraid of the idea of being in the worst dressed list...Even at the time when being « the worst dressed » can be good!

Céline Dion in Vêtements or in a reverse Dior Couture suit with the sunglasses is more camp than the look she had at The MET.

What irks me is that James Charles was there - if there had to be a youtube beauty blogger, SURELY Jeffree Star would be the logical option?? He’s established at least in the beauty world, and had mingled with certain people at the Gala aka KarJenners, plus he is FAR campier and more colourful/flamboyant than James Charles’ boring half-arsed attempt at camp. He seemed to think being gay and wearing makeup counts as camp? No no.

Also, those bemoaning the interpretations of camp at the Gala, I think, maybe haven’t read Sontag’s Notes on Camp. To summarise, she uses phrases to describe camp, including: contains a large element of artifice, exaggerated, androgyne, life as theatre, Being-as-Playing-a-Role, Art Nouveau, naive, genuine, extravagant, camp is a woman walking around in a dress made of three million feathers, seriousness (but seriousness which fails as it is too much), ambitious, glammmmmorous, amoral and apolitical, glorification of “character”, Greta Garbo, vulgar, democratic, playful, enjoyment, Oscar Wilde.

It seems a lot of people latched onto the ‘feathers’ aspect of the notes...

What irks me is that James Charles was there - if there had to be a youtube beauty blogger, SURELY Jeffree Star would be the logical option?? He’s established at least in the beauty world, and had mingled with certain people at the Gala aka KarJenners, plus he is FAR campier and more colourful/flamboyant than James Charles’ boring half-arsed attempt at camp. He seemed to think being gay and wearing makeup counts as camp? No no.

They are both repellent fame whores, no one of their ilk should have been invited. I do not know if Jeffree Star is the logical option if you take in account the fact that he's been involved in several racist incidents. What is ancient news in certain corners of the internet, could very well have been picked up by mainstream news as an unnecessary point of controversy.

The theme is lost on me, I can only see tremendously tacky "costumes" the usual KK grotesques and no fashion, but I concede I'm not the right person to judge of the quality of the presentation. It's entertaining to look at though.
Said that I am i awe how exquisitely beautiful Lily Rose looks.

There are quite a few good looks that would have been amazing for last years theme "Heavenly Bodies".

Also, those bemoaning the interpretations of camp at the Gala, I think, maybe haven’t read Sontag’s Notes on Camp. To summarise, she uses phrases to describe camp, including: contains a large element of artifice, exaggerated, androgyne, life as theatre, Being-as-Playing-a-Role, Art Nouveau, naive, genuine, extravagant, camp is a woman walking around in a dress made of three million feathers, seriousness (but seriousness which fails as it is too much), ambitious, glammmmmorous, amoral and apolitical, glorification of “character”, Greta Garbo, vulgar, democratic, playful, enjoyment, Oscar Wilde.

It seems a lot of people latched onto the ‘feathers’ aspect of the notes...

Yeah, I still have a bone to pick with her about Greta Garbo, whose films and entire cult I love! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->