MET Costume Institute Gala 2016: "Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology"

My favorites...

Emma watson...out of water bottles?? Whoever made this worked hard and it could potentially help benefit the environment. Awesome. Learning about her dress made me curious about the stories behind some of the other dresses. For example Kata Mara's is clearly made out of a trash bag. Beyonce's (kind of a letdown) looks like recycled plastic bottles or rubber.

Nicole Kidman...!!!!! Stunning!!!!

I love how some celebrities interpreted the "age of technology" theme as modern eco-friendly(I.e. Emma Watson, Kate Mara) while others went the more sci fi/futuristic route. Some went with more robotic/mechanical themes. While most just went with the most basic interpretation and just wore metallic colors.

Also really liked/loved Kylie Jenner, Zendaya, Cindy Crawford, Jordan Dunn, Julie Mackelowe, Poppy Delevingne, Zoe Kravitz, Solange Knowles, Kanye West, Mackenzie davis, Rita Ora, Fka twigs, Kate mara, kate Bosworth, and Lady Gaga.

Zayn Malik would been better without the suit underneath just the robotic arm.

MASSIVE letdown by SJP. What in the what??? There HAS to be a story behind this. That's the only explanation!

The men were also a big letdown. This was a good theme for the men to really get to bring it and have fun and none of them really did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that KK incorporated the theme into the design. #wearabletech

In the red carpet pics, it didn't really translate, unfortunately. I guess because it was daylight out. But inside the party, this must've looked pretty spectacular!

--------

At Monday night's New York Met Gala held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the theme is Manus x Machina, and technology is hitting the red carpet. Model Karolina Kurkova revealed on Twitter that she is wearing a dress designed by fashion house Marchesa's Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig, embedded with IBM Watson technology that reacts to social media in real-time.

The dress is covered in fabric flowers with LEDs inside; as users on social media respond to the Met Gala, the flowers will glow brightly. Marchesa told CBS News there are five key emotions it will search for on social media: joy, passion, excitement, encouragement and curiosity. When it detects these emotions, the dress changes colors in real time.

*cnet.com

More than ever it feels sluggish whoever going all ball gown glamazon.

Snoozefest, a lot of boring outfits from the runway like Louis Vuitton and Gucci. Nothing out of the box, daring or new. Seems to me the designers are trying to keep their signature as much as possible so they get recognized by the public as much as possible but that makes it so dull.

Omg, 22 pages of mostly custom looks and I can count the good ones on one hand!! Nicole Kidman, Liu Wen, Kate Mara and Claire Danes. It seems people either didn't get the memo at all or when they did, it was executed so poorly. The worst of the lot are actually the pop tarts: Madonna, Taylor, Nicki, Lorde. Alicia Vikander and Charlotte of Monaco can be added to that as well!

Where are the big names this year??????

Liu Wen is hands down the best dressed. She looks so elegant and I just love that she wore Iris. :wub:

Beyonce and the Kardashian troope never disappoint, their style is consistently horrific.

Is there a woman in show biz more mind blowingly pointless than Blake Lively and her princess dresses?

Best of the night hands down is Nicole Kidman, i kind of like Danes 'dress, but this wearable tech smacks a bit too much of My big Fat Gypsy wedding, the fact everyone thinks it's preposterous when the gypsies do it, but it's ok for everyone else, doesn't really sit well with me.

Is there a woman in show biz more mind blowingly pointless than Blake Lively and her princess dresses?
:lol: Poor Blake :lol:

My expectations weren't high but I'm surprised there are so few looks that I like. Maybe I'm just bored by the generic looks and terribly confused by the incredible ugliness Louis Vuitton seems to be peddling

this event is just horrible... Emma Watson looked stunning though...and Tisci is the worst designer of the moment... I love Madonna but she is supposed to be the queen of reinvention. She already wore these straps and had an exposed bum on Grammy's... It is kind of tiring now...

...i kind of like Danes 'dress, but this wearable tech smacks a bit too much of My big Fat Gypsy wedding, the fact everyone thinks it's preposterous when the gypsies do it, but it's ok for everyone else, doesn't really sit well with me.

:lol::lol: I have to agree with you here! I do think the theme was really very easy to execute, and there were subtle ways to incorporate the concept without looking like a clotheshorse. Which was why I went with those 5 women.

With all that said, no Mugler, none of the Japanese clan (CDG/Junuya/Yohji/Sacai etc etc) and one measly little Paco Rabanne and Iris van Herpen! Meanwhile there's a sea of LV, Prada, Chanel, Ralph Lauren, and Balmain...... basically Vogue's top tier advertisers?? Yep, can see beyond the smoke and mirrors here.

Best:

Nicole Kidman :heart:

Liu Wen in Iris van Herpen

Kudos to Emma Watson/Calvin Klein. Something I can only praise and definitely the most appropriate for the theme.

Claire Danes in the dark

Amber Valletta

Most of the women in Prada (Mia W, Mia G, Stacey, Emma S, Katy). Yes, Katy's hair was awful but she had a stunning dress.

Worst:

Everyone in Balmain

Everyone except Lea in Louis Vuitton, especially Taylor Swift who looked beyond ugly anyway.

Everyone in Givenchy

Solange and especially Beyonce (not a surprise, the latter always looks dreadful. STOP MAKING YOUR HAIR BLONDE)

Nicki Minaj

SJP :sick:

... and a lot more.

Overall, really disappointing. This theme obviously didn't work.

Great theme this year, too bad some people ignored it.

Is it just me or were there a lot of D-listers this year? (Tyga, Halsey etc)What happened to the exclusivity?

I'm so appalled no one wore Chalayan.

The best (ignoring the theme, which hardly anyone cared about...):

Anna Ewers
Fei Fei
Naomi watts
jemima
Naomi Campbell

I didn't care for either Claire Danes dress nor Emma Watsons recycled dress, so the fact that they cared about the theme is sort of irrelevant...

Worst:

Irina Shayk
Katy Perry (I can't even see the dress because of HAIR)
Madonna
Niky Minaj
All the LV looks except Lea.

Great theme this year, too bad some people ignored it.

Is it just me or were there a lot of D-listers this year? (Tyga, Halsey etc)What happened to the exclusivity?

I'm so appalled no one wore Chalayan.

Anna Wintour is in controll of the guest list...

Really surprised that no one wore Balenciaga. The silver dress with boots would have been great look. Maybe they won't allow celebrities wear the looks until they hit stores.

My favorites were Claire Danes Nicole Kidman and Liu Wen. I also liked Kendall Jenner and all the models wearing Balmain (Joan, Jourdan, Cindy and Doutzen) and the worst were SPJ, Kris Jenner and Taylor Swift.

My favorites were Jessica Chastain Mia Wasikowska and Fei Fei Sun, they were stunning.

Lupita Nyong'o 's hair looks like a big pepper mill:rofl:
but her gown is adorable though:heart:

Cindy looked absolutely amazing... probably her best Met look in ages...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->