Model's Age - How Young Is Too Young?

^ As a European, in my opinion nudity should only be even thought about when the model is 18, artistic or not.

^ As a European, in my opinion nudity should only be even thought about when the model is 18, artistic or not.

I completely agree with that. What I've heard about Europe's(or parts of it) take on nudity is that it's not always associated with sexuality. It's not seen as vulgar or salacious, it's just seen as a body. Although I doubt many of the people who see these ads know that some of these models are teenagers.

Although, nudity is perceived differently in Europe, so I suppose some pictures of young models that Americans consider wrong Europeans don't see a problem with

You have a point here, but regarding ads and commercials, Europeans are sensitive about child like young women being exposed. It is a constant theme of talk here, too. It is not like everyone runs naked around here and nobody even shrugs their shoulders. Art is different matter, I guess I have heard some Americans who can be terrified with naked sculptures or paintings, it sounds a bit weird to me, so maybe the cultural difference is there.

For example, we have this sauna culture here in Finland. I have heard numerous times foreigners being shocked when Finns are naked in there. But the thing is, for most of us sauna is private, with your own family, thing, you really don`t see all of us going to public saunas. We have them yes, but the minority uses them. Between men it is different, they usually have these special sauna nights at someone`s house, when they just do sauna, eat and get drunk :lol: But it is pretty much the only place (except our summer cottages in the middle of nothing) ppl are without clothes.

Sorry about the rant, but I have often felt the need to explain myself when the talk comes to "Europeans perceiving nudity very freely". It is as much of generalizing as "all the Americans are uneducated rednecks", though the matters are different, but you know what I mean? This is not any kind of offense to you Squillance, this all just crossed my mind from reading your comment. And I am not offended by your comment, so please do not take my (too long) post as an attack :smile:

You have a point here, but regarding ads and commercials, Europeans are sensitive about child like young women being exposed. It is a constant theme of talk here, too. It is not like everyone runs naked around here and nobody even shrugs their shoulders. Art is different matter, I guess I have heard some Americans who can be terrified with naked sculptures or paintings, it sounds a bit weird to me, so maybe the cultural difference is there.

For example, we have this sauna culture here in Finland. I have heard numerous times foreigners being shocked when Finns are naked in there. But the thing is, for most of us sauna is private, with your own family, thing, you really don`t see all of us going to public saunas. We have them yes, but the minority uses them. Between men it is different, they usually have these special sauna nights at someone`s house, when they just do sauna, eat and get drunk :lol: But it is pretty much the only place (except our summer cottages in the middle of nothing) ppl are without clothes.

Sorry about the rant, but I have often felt the need to explain myself when the talk comes to "Europeans perceiving nudity very freely". It is as much of generalizing as "all the Americans are uneducated rednecks", though the matters are different, but you know what I mean? This is not any kind of offense to you Squillance, this all just crossed my mind from reading your comment. And I am not offended by your comment, so please do not take my (too long) post as an attack :smile:
not offended at all, thanks for the insight

The girl who opened the Dior couture show is apparently only 14?

Good for her that she's able to relieve her family of money troubles BUT for Raf to have a 14 year old open his show in a completely sheer dress is beyond crossing the line. She's a little girl still, yes she's happy to be doing this but to me this isn't something a girl would do if she wasn't desperate for the money and opportunity. The people of Dior should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry to rock the boat, but I think that 14 is a fine age for a catwalk model. Women's fashion is about youth and delicacy. That girl who opened Dior captures these things perfectly. I'd say that 14 should be the cut-off age, though.

In reply to an earlier conversation - I'm from Europe (though not continental Europe), and I believe in artistic nudity.

One agency did tell the girl she was too young

I think the cut off age should be 16 at least (though I prefer 18), the fashion world is a dangerous place for a young girl. Where did the "no girls under 16" rule go, or was that just a trend

A girl who comes from a poor background and has just become the breadwinner of her family, she's gonna have a hard time saying no to things she doesn't wanna do and she'll be more willing to put up with abuse. Also, a teen model will have a different probably not so modelesque body once she hits adulthood.

^ Gemma Ward comes to mind...

It's difficult to say.. I get that modelling can be an amazing opportunity for these girls.. she's probably not even making that much because she'll have to pay agency fees, test shoots, pay for casting clothes and travelling and model apartment fees so I really hope she gets a lot of work.

Monika Jagaciak and also Cindy Crawfords daughter Kaia started with the tender age of 13.

Telling a 14 year old you'll give them lots of money to wear a sheer dress in a room full of people is usually child abuse, but not in fashion! :rolleyes:

Telling a 14 year old you'll give them lots of money to wear a sheer dress in a room full of people is usually child abuse, but not in fashion! :rolleyes:

Well that's a very cynical way to look at things.

More trying to be sarcastic...it's upsetting to me that this is accepted as a standard. I have no problems with nudity, or nudity on the runway, but I think the girls should be of an appropriate age.

I have always said that the industry should go back to hiring girls at least 16 years old.

So he's seeking inspiration from an 11yr old in order to appeal to adults? :rolleyes:

Meet the 11-Year-Old Star of Acne’s Fall 2015 Campaign
By Paige Reddinger | September 1, 2015

Acne has tapped an 11-year-old boy to front their Fall/Winter 2015 campaign. Frasse Johansson, the star of the campaign, happens to be the darling (and too cool for school) face behind the Swedish brand’s new ad line up. He is the son of Acne’s creative director Jonny Johansson and was shot by photographer Viviane Sassen, who shot Acne’s campaign last season as well.

“I’ve seen this new generation’s attitude to fashion where the cut, the shape, and the character of the garment is the crucial thing, rather then seeking approval from society or to follow set norms,” said Jonny Johansson. “I immediately pictured Frasse, since he embodies this new breed to me. I asked him and I’m happy that he wanted to be a part of the campaign.” This will definitely make for a good #tbt photo for Frasse Johansson in a few years, right? The campaign will run in outdoor advertising in New York, London, Paris, and Hong Kong. The Fall/Winter 2015 collection will be available on acnestudios.com and in Acne Studios stores on September 10th.

Source: Fashionweekdaily.com

^^Could it be b/c he has nothing to say ... and he's saying it with his son? Look at his quote. Could it be any more insipid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->