Model's Age - How Young Is Too Young?

Just sick to me.

Like I said - hire them from 16 years old.

And like ppl suggested nudity only from 18 and such.

It also just makes a lot more sense, since when they cast 14-15 year old girls whose bodies are still changing before they reach 18 years old - and then most suddenly disappear cause their hips/breast are too large and etc.

I was modelling lots back in 2008 travelling around NYC, Europe etc. Just getting back into it a bit again now because went off and did other things. To answer your question though to be honest I think it depends a lot on the individual as to what age is right - but in general i'd say 13 is way too young for sure. It's an industry where I definitely don't think they have your best interests in mind and at 13 IMHO your too much at risk of just being exploited and not having the life experience to push back.

Women's fashion is about youth and delicacy. That (14 year old) girl who opened Dior captures these things perfectly.

Pardon?
Could you please explain this....

Women's fashion is about selling clothes to adult females. ie females over 18.
Not 18-20 but 18+ up to 110 years old or whatever number you like.
Advertising - sure above average but not impossible. NO 30+ year old woman will look like a 14 year old including you and I.

I was modelling lots back in 2008 travelling around NYC, Europe etc. Just getting back into it a bit again now because went off and did other things. To answer your question though to be honest I think it depends a lot on the individual as to what age is right - but in general i'd say 13 is way too young for sure. It's an industry where I definitely don't think they have your best interests in mind and at 13 IMHO your too much at risk of just being exploited and not having the life experience to push back.

I was scouted from 14 and I am sure everyone would have described me as really mature etc and all the other things mentioned in this thread but now as an adult looking back...NO WAY. I am ecstatic I didn't start at 14. Way too young. I would have missed so many childhood experiences. You have decades of being an adult but only SEVEN years of being a teenager.

I say runway ONLY 18+. No exceptions.
Say you are 16 and the look of the moment... well sorry but life is unfair. It's like students graduating right at the GFC peak. Right person at the wrong time.

^ Also think of all the things that models have to deal with.. certain pressures to look a certain way, perhaps they find themselves in uncomfortable situations but they think if they say no to these things then it's the end for them.

It's why having a great relationship with your booker and agency is soooo important.

I was scouted from 14 and I am sure everyone would have described me as really mature etc and all the other things mentioned in this thread but now as an adult looking back...NO WAY. I am ecstatic I didn't start at 14. Way too young. I would have missed so many childhood experiences. You have decades of being an adult but only SEVEN years of being a teenager.

I say runway ONLY 18+. No exceptions.
Say you are 16 and the look of the moment... well sorry but life is unfair. It's like students graduating right at the GFC peak. Right person at the wrong time.

Thanks for this perspective. I totally agree.

Thanks for this perspective. I totally agree.

My pleasure.

Don't even get me started on how the idea of children being presented as the ideal for females is just...wrong.
People get sad when children spend their time making shoes or soccer balls (child workers) but to advertise clothes... no that's desirable and attractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my days I was the first going to the designers and saying that I wouldn't mind wearing the see-through piece or the huge cleavage. Why? Because I will never forget the show where the girl opening was 14 and with bare breasts. I don't even know how that isn't illegal. Since then I grew very aware of my colleagues ages and since I was already 19 when I started, I thought I could minimize any damages by telling the designer who the girls above 18 were and how we wouldn't mind wearing the "sexiest" outfits to protect those kids.

When you are 14 you are afraid of saying no. That's the truth. You are afraid the designer will think you are some kind of puritan and choose another girl instead of you. It's crazy.

14 year old Mad manning from Agency Arizona and Society was exclusive today for LV. Why can't they wait a few years?

^ The youngest newcomers are around 15-16... Serge Rigvava for example.

I'm wondering why many designers always book the very young model to present the clothes even if thier real target is adult. :unsure:

So, a Portuguese TV channel just released a piece on this issue. They went to talk to that girl who was a Dior exclusive (can't remember her name). Her booker excuse is "the girl was working with her mother cleaning houses, if she's of age to clean houses, she's of age to work as a model". Then Karl is asked why does he chose girls so young and if the clothes would look better in someone older and he is all like "my clients want to see the clothes in this kind of body".

Sigh. :ermm:

This probably isn't much consolation, but Mad Manning is 15. Her thread mentioned her being 14, but that was like 6 months ago. She was 15 before the Cruise show.

^ Also think of all the things that models have to deal with.. certain pressures to look a certain way, perhaps they find themselves in uncomfortable situations but they think if they say no to these things then it's the end for them.

It's why having a great relationship with your booker and agency is soooo important.

Most important for young girl, I would say.

You should all watch this documentary - Girl Model - about 13 year old Russian girl who was sent to Japan for modeling.

Depressing, real and just astonishing - truth about this industry,.

Here is the link:
http://www.sockshare.com/file/14C45FA80F0F0AA6#

the creative director of chloe says that they don't use girls under 18 in this video.. ha ha yeah right. why lie?

So there is a photographer named Daniel Jaems who often shoot very exposed image of male models which is fun and easy on the eyes Today he posted a photo of a 17 years old male model with quite lot to show and I posted under 'is 17 considered as an adult in Hungary' Then I got blocked
I mean it is a question which do not imply anything and even if so this behavior of this photographer only makes me think he has something to hide which is quite disgusting Considering the gay identity of this photographer I am more disturbed by what I have seen and was treated by

I would prefer that models for adult clothes would be 18+ or 21+. First of all, these clothes are mainly for adults, and the youth obsession is getting old and kinda creepy. Also, teenagers can be more naive and impulsive, and a lot of them want modelling so desperately they're less likely to say no especially if their family is depending on them. And most of them probably don't know about the dark side of modelling and just have big dreams of making it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->