Models Who Weren't Scouted

Reaction score
Meaning they decided they wanted to become a fashion model without being scouted first, and then they pursued it and "made it in".

Sources would be great, especially interviews. I'll go first:

Gwen Lu: http://my.asiancemagazine.com/news/2010/06/18/get-to-know-gwen-lu
How were you discovered?
I walked in to the one and only model agency that once existed in Penang.

Colette Pechekhonova: http://jacquetta_wheeler.tripod.com/articles/fashiontelegraph_new_waifs.htm
Colette's "discovery" came through the most modern of means: the Internet. She sent photos of herself via e-mail to the Nathalie agency in Paris.

Tao Okamoto: http://www.adversus.asia/fashion/models/tao-okamoto-interview/
How did you start modeling?
I sent my pictures to my first agency in Tokyo.

I don't have a source but it is commonl knowledge that Doutzen Kroes sent her own vacation pictures to an agency.

Monika Jagaciak wasn't discovered either, right? I remember reading something about her going into a model search in a mall at Poland.

Is it wrong that when I read the title, all I could think of was Jade Cole, the undiscovered supermodel? :lol:

if getting into a model school means "non-discovered", then Emma Pei, Kiki Kang and Du Juan are on the list.

Doutzen wasn't "discovered" either.

well abbey wasn't "discovered" too, she did Girlfriend CoverGirl model search in Australia.

and Ginta Lapina, she won a model search in Latvia.
Lu Wen, Sigrid Agren, Constance Jablonski were the winners of model search too.

I thought Abbey was scouted while on a beach with her grandmother? Or something like that... That's the story I seem to recall hearing from her in videos.

Sessilee Lopez
Growing up, Sessilee dreamt of modeling but didn't think her dreams would come true as she suffered from eczema and was extremely self-conscious about being darker-skinned than her sisters. But she managed to muster up her confidence and begged her mother for six years to be a model. Her mother fully supported her and even sold their house to move to New York in pursuit of Sessilee's modeling career. And in 2004, Sessilee was discovered at an IMG open casting call where she was signed.
modelinia.com

Joan Smalls
Frequent comparisons of her body type against the models on the tube convinced Smalls that she could make it in the industry,
while an episode of E! True Hollywood Story provided her with enough industry insights to believe that a modeling salary could
mean a better life for her and her family.

In 2007, Smalls jumped ship from Puerto Rico to New York City, where she promptly found professional representation with Elite Model Management.
askmen.com

and jessica stam wasn't "discovered" to..... well was she?

Jessica Stam was indeed discovered. She's mentioned the story countless times that she was discovered by an agent in a coffee shop in Canada.

On a side note, most of the Brazilian models WERE discovered.

Great thread idea :flower:

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of agencies/models create interesting storys about how a girl was discovered rather than actually telling the truth about how she just sent some pics in, it's a lot more exciting when you hear a "cinderella story" about a normal girl who was just eating in Mc Donald's or sleeping on train or working at a fruit stall etc.

But it's also great to hear about models who actually wanted to get into modelling and decided to send some pics or enter a search, if they have the passion and determination from the beginning they'll probably do better.

Constance Jablonski
When Elite hosted their French Elite Model Look contest in 2006, she took part and discovered her love for modeling.
modelinia.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->