Oscar Pistorius charged with murder in death of model girlfriend

According to People.com his bail was granted.
I will never understand how people can actually kill someone and get off so easy ...

Oscar Pistorius Granted Bail in Murder Case
Pistorius' longtime coach, Ampie Louw, had said before proceedings began that he is considering putting his runner back in training if he is granted bail to allow him to "get his mind kind of clear."

Louw said he realizes that the Olympic athlete might not be emotionally ready to give any thought to running.

"The change is that he is heartbroken, that is all," Louw said in the courtroom, surrounded by reporters and television cameras. "For me it is tough to see that. Not to be able to reach out and sit next to him and say, 'Sorry, man, it was a terrible accident.' But I cannot do it, I must just sit here in court and that's all.

"The sooner he can start working the better." said Louw, who was the person who convinced the double amputee to take up track as a teenager a decade ago.
cbsnews.com

I didn't want to quote the whole article because it was rather long, but these paragraphs particularly stood out to me. I don't know why exactly but it seems a bit gross to me that Pistorius's coach would even consider something like this right now. I mean, would he even be allowed to compete in competitions? It's not like he's allowed to leave the country anyways. I think it's the statement where the coach says, "sorry, man, it was a terrible accident" says it all. It's far to lighthearted of a statement almost. And it doesn't capture the severity of the situation, it sounds exactly like how a lot of other people are viewing this case, that Reeva died in an "accident." An accident would be if she had died while doing something mundane, that wasn't as a result of someone else's behavior. To me, this isn't an "accident" and I'm quite upset that others don't see it this way either. I guess this case has really gotten to me, I seriously hope that this doesn't turn into an OJ-type case, that would be terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the absolute incompetency of the prosecution. I mean they contaminated the crime scene and made an officer who is also facing attempted murder charge represent them and lead the case. Pistorius' lawyer made the prosecution into absolute jokes yesterday in a way I don't think has ever been seen in a public case such as this. It is obvious that he murdered Reeva but the prosecution's lack of evidence is going to be their downfall.

^ It's also money-related. Public or state officials often don't get paid as much and so perhaps aren't the highest quality of legal representation. On the contrary, someone like Pistorius can afford the best attorneys who are sharks and ready to find as many loopholes or mistakes as possible. When money is no object, it's possible to create a "dream team" a la O.J. Simpson. I watched that trial when it was happening, and it was truly amazing to see that defence team at work. They did whatever they could to create "reasonable doubt" and in the end, the jury bought it. And I use the word "bought" here deliberately.

It's sad, but money talks.

i dunno how i feel about this really. the only thing i've been able to reconcile with from all the accounts of his actions leading up to this was that this guy was super-paranoid. the whole case has been really bizarre....from the lead investigator being taken off for his own murder charges......the accusations that investigators trampled on evidence.....the dramatic 4 day bail hearing.....not only does it all rekindle memories of oj but it also reminds a lot of the amanda knox case.

^I agree that his actions could be the result of paranoia. So he could be insane. The other alternative is that he murdered his girlfriend. He did not, in a sane condition, try to shoot an intruder.

I think he's guilty, guilty, guilty.

1. Did he forget he has a girlfriend in the middle of the night while sleeping?
2. Why would an intruder be in the bathroom of all places, with the door locked?
3. Why the need to shoot an intruder FOUR times? One would suffice, maybe 2 if you were extra paranoid. One shot would make an intruder run.

I'm sorry, but saying he's innocent is believing an extraordinary lie. It's a good lie, but it's a very obvious lie.

Would you want to vulnerable to your boyfriend being able to brutally murder you because he was groggy or thought you were an intruder? What would that say about your society or your country if he'd be able to get away with that? Think about it like that.

Don't think about it in terms of, oh, we have to give Oscar the benefit of the doubt. Think about poor Reeva.

I think the fact that he's on bail is an insult.

Plus, even if he thought it was an intruder ( that I do not believe for one second), he would still be a murderer. What type of person hears a sound and decides that the best course of action is to pick a weapon and kill? And apparently the "intruder" was actually hit with a baseball bat.

I do not know the law in South Africa but in the overwhelming majority of countries this does not constitute self defence, you cannot simply randomly shoot people as a precaution, and he would still be charged with murder.

^I'm not sure of South African laws but I know in the US you can legally shoot/attack people who break into your home.

^You can in the US, but you there are circumstances where shooting multiple times at an intruder to make sure he/she is dead can be considered manslaughter, or justifiable homicide.
Lawyers have to try to prove whether you were in danger when you killed him/her vs. you were no longer in danger but you killed him/her anyways.

^Sorry it's not justifiable homicide, it's actually imperfect self-defense. You get charged for manslaughter when you are proven to have imperfect self-defense.
It's perfect self-defense if you're in danger and imperfect self-defense if you're no longer in danger.

Trying to prove justifiable homicide (no sentence) depends on the circumstances. If Reeva was completely unarmed (and from what I read she was) and the prosecution can prove this, he can't claim justifiable homicide (let alone any type of self-defense). Maybe it's different in South Africa, but preemptive self-defense (cases in which one kills another on suspicion that the victim might eventually become dangerous) is considered criminal, no matter how likely it is that one was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add, Charlize Theron is from So Africa. So you're probably wondering what this has to do with the price of tea in China. Years ago when she won her Oscar, her bio became more prominent and one of her childhood experiences was mentioned in the media. Her mother had shot and killed her alcoholic/abusive father inside their home. Her mother did not face any charges because in that case, it was deemed self-defense.

So going back to Pistorius, I think the law would be the same - he needs to prove self defense. All signs right now do not appear to help him, despite the almost-comedy-if-this-wasn't-tragic circus surrounding the prosecution team.

To add, Charlize Theron is from So Africa. So you're probably wondering what this has to do with the price of tea in China. Years ago when she won her Oscar, her bio became more prominent and one of her childhood experiences was mentioned in the media. Her mother had shot and killed her alcoholic/abusive father inside their home. Her mother did not face any charges because in that case, it was deemed self-defense.

So going back to Pistorius, I think the law would be the same - he needs to prove self defense. All signs right now do not appear to help him, despite the almost-comedy-if-this-wasn't-tragic circus surrounding the prosecution team.

Well depends what is to be considered self defence, one thing is someone faced with an unarmed intruder shooting because he/she thought that person had a gun even if it hadn't, probably he could get away with this in South Africa or the US, another is actually going after the intruder to kill him.
Not even Edward Norton's nazi character (another out of the way reference) in American X could get away with it without being convicted.

But writing this is almost ridiculous, there is no way you can savagely kill your girlfriend the way he did and then pretend it was a mistake.

^I'm pretty sure an unarmed intruder is not considered a danger to your life when you're the one armed with a bat and a gun.

TBH I don't think I've read about any case where self-defense/justifiable homicide was proved when the intruder was unarmed and the "victim" was armed with a gun...

If an intruder does come into your home it is easy for them to just go into the kitchen and get a knife or another weapon. It's interesting because that debate came up last year here in the UK. I mean they shouldn't be in your home in the first place so the question is who has more rights in that case?

This doesn't apply to Pistorius at all obviously but it's probably something they'll bring up.

but she wasnt an intruder so he is obviously guilty what are they can going to argue? he was stressed out from his fame or some bs that it was too much pressure?

But writing this is almost ridiculous, there is no way you can savagely kill your girlfriend the way he did and then pretend it was a mistake.

Agree. I would have to pick my jaw off of the ground if he managed to escape this by the skin of his teeth.

Is someone else following the trial? :ninja:... I think I'm doing it just to get upset, his lawyer's attitude revolts me.

I've been paying attention to it. It is almost crude to say this but his lawyer has been excellent in the way he's ripped everyone's statements to pieces. That's why Pistorius hired him. Pistorius is also playing the role of the victim incredibly well. There is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be found not guilty even though to me he clearly is.

Yesterday I´ve heard that his defense claims that he cries like a woman... who else thought of The Simpsons´Ned Flanders? this is such a joke :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nelliewillshowuhowitsdone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->