Parsons School of Fashion, New York

I KNOW!! I took a course with her at LCF back in the day and she was phenomenal!

i'm really thrilled about this and for her. like you said,she has such a great history as a teacher. and as a designer i really hope her vast knowledge and experience with textile design will be emphasised. it's such a rich area i feel has been abandoned in american design. she is a master in so many ways but that element particularly she is an absolute genius.

I'll be starting at Parsons here in August for my BFA in Fashion Design. I am so excited! After quitting my job last fall just to have time to devote to my portfolio- it was all worth it!

^i didn't even know they had one?
i'm pretty sure they have classes, but the program is for Fashion Design.

I have been searching but couldn't find it on the site, are there scholarships for Parsons, and how much can the undergraduates international student benefit from?

thank you:wink:

I live in the UK so my high school qualifications will be British but I am considering going to university in the US (and Parsons is one of my current choices) and I'm wondering if I will have to take SATs?
Also, I have three citizenships - or I will do by the time I apply for university - and since I'll be an American citizen as well as a British one, will I have to pay international student fees?

Admission Policies and Factors

Admission requirements:

* Required: SAT Reasoning Test or ACT

Very important admission factors:

* Rigor of secondary school record
* Standardized Test Scores
* Talent/Ability
* Academic GPA
* Level of Applicant's Interest

Important admission factors:

* Interview

Considered:

* Class Rank
* Application Essay
* Extracurricular Activities
* Recommendations

You have to take SAT so better start now :smile:.

I wonder if Parsons has summer school for students from other colleges :smile:.

Admission requirements:

* Required: SAT Reasoning Test or ACT

Very important admission factors:

* Rigor of secondary school record
* Standardized Test Scores
* Talent/Ability
* Academic GPA
* Level of Applicant's Interest

Important admission factors:

* Interview

Considered:

* Class Rank
* Application Essay
* Extracurricular Activities
* Recommendations

You have to take SAT so better start now :smile:.

Ah, okay! Thank you very much :-)

Also, I have three citizenships - or I will do by the time I apply for university - and since I'll be an American citizen as well as a British one, will I have to pay international student fees?

I'm pretty sure it's not according to your citizenship, but your mailing address. If it's outside the US, then I'm afraid you might have to pay for the fees.

I wonder if Parsons has summer school for students from other colleges :smile:.

Yes, they definitely do.

For anyone who's interested, I emailed the school and found out that for BFA courses international students don't have to submit SAT scores, they have the same tuition fees for everyone (dosmetic and international students) and if you have a US citizenship but live elsewhere in the world you can still apply as a dosmetic student. :smile:

Confused about the Parsons Challenge

Hello, I'm applying to parsons this fall, I'm a little bit confused about the parsons challenge:
Explore something overlooked within your familiar surroundings and daily life. Choose one object, event, activity, or location.

Interpret your discovery through 3 pieces of art using any medium. Support each piece of art with an essay of approximately 250 words each. The series you create should convey a conceptual and creative response of the subject matter you have chosen to discover.

Acceptable media can be any visual art form such as: drawing, video, photography, sculpture, 3D work, collage, digital images, etc. All 3 pieces of art may be created with the same media, or different mediums.

Your work will be evaluated on the concept conveyed through your writing and visuals and the relationship you create between the two.

I've read it over and over but still i am confused, if you have already done it, please explain it to me and break it down for me please, I'm really confused.

I haven't done it but I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about Parsons?
Sorry for this useless reply.

I don't really know much about it, apart that its one of the best fashion schools in the us, and that its really expensive.

Welcome!

This thread has been merged with existing thread about Parsons. Please do a search before starting a new thread, per tFS Community Rules. If you need help about how to do a seach (it can be complicated here), see the Member Support & Feedback forums ... there is a thread for Newbies and a thread about how to search.

Im no adept expert at this but let me give it a try (Im an intl college applicant and have been going through such kind of things :doh:)

Explore something overlooked within your familiar surroundings and daily life. Choose one object, event, activity, or location.

It's clear here. You choose one and only one in the list to use as your theme (if you're comprehensive type, choose event. If analytical, choose object. Just my suggestion)

Interpret your discovery through 3 pieces of art using any medium. Support each piece of art with an essay of approximately 250 words each. The series you create should convey a conceptual and creative response of the subject matter you have chosen to discover.

Acceptable media can be any visual art form such as: drawing, video, photography, sculpture, 3D work, collage, digital images, etc. All 3 pieces of art may be created with the same media, or different mediums.

You're expected to tell your story/thought/analysis about the theme/concept you choose (one object, event, activity, or location) and to tell them (story/thought/analysis etc.) through 3 art pieces composed by yourself. Your pieces are not necessarily in drawing, it can be in the form of video, photography, sculpture, 3D work, collage, digital images, etc. You can combine a number of the medium listed in one piece. Your 3 pieces can also be made of 3 different media
Write essays that clarify your ideas, vision, anything that you want Parsons to know about the pieces.
Your work (essay and art piece) should be analytical and personal (The series you create should convey a conceptual and creative response of the subject matter you have chosen to discover.)

Your work will be evaluated on the concept conveyed through your writing and visuals and the relationship you create between the two.

They want relationship between essays and art pieces. They expect to see what you've written in the piece you send.

Just my thought but hope this helps. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im no adept expert at this but let me give it a try (Im an intl college applicant and have been going through such kind of things :doh:)

It's clear here. You choose one and only one in the list to use as your theme (if you're comprehensive type, choose event. If analytical, choose object. Just my suggestion)

You're expected to tell your story/thought/analysis about the theme/concept you choose (one object, event, activity, or location) and to tell them (story/thought/analysis etc.) through 3 art pieces composed by yourself. Your pieces are not necessarily in drawing, it can be in the form of video, photography, sculpture, 3D work, collage, digital images, etc. You can combine a number of the medium listed in one piece. Your 3 pieces can also be made of 3 different media
Write essays that clarify your ideas, vision, anything that you want Parsons to know about the pieces.
Your work (essay and art piece) should be analytical and personal (The series you create should convey a conceptual and creative response of the subject matter you have chosen to discover.)

They want relationship between essays and art pieces. They expect to see what you've written in the piece you send.

Just my thought but hope this helps. :flower:

This makes sense.

Does Parsons have any courses that would suit someone who wanted to be a fashion buyer, stylist or editor??

Okay so i'm looking at the fashion marketing course (AAS) and it looks amazing! My GPA at the moment is 2.5 though...... :S I haven't completed my BA yet, i graduate in 2011... So my goal is to get accepted into the Spring 2012 course.... Do youthink Parsons is extremely strict on GPAs?? In terms of communications and writing I average 70-78% it's just some stupid electives that brought my average down!!!!! :(

They want to see a strong portfolio and they don't particularly want to see anything fashion related. They want to see that you have god-given artistic talent. Life drawing, design concepts, materials and processes etc. If you have a killer portfolio you may get full scholarship. They like to reward raw talent. The rich kids who aren't as talented but have money are there to pay the bills.

Thanks for that Metronomic, I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not... because I don't need a portfolio for entry??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->