Pushing the envelope - avant garde style

it needs a certain kind of destructive energy that may basically be the same thing as what wiw referred to as creative energy.
it is based on things that have already been there before you, like tradition.
you have to know them well in the first place because, without the subjects of destruction, you cannot destroy/create anything.
you understand what they are, then some of you might come to have some drive, or volition against them. and you learn to see your own direction you wish.
so mostly the avantgarde are able to be a classic, orthodox dresser beautifully too, if they had to. maybe they have mastered the fundamentals. that's part of why instant avantgarde is impossible.

^ nice post !

what about Lynn Yaeger? is this just wacky or avant garde? she has always confused me as far as definition of style goes...educate me.
flowers.gif
anyone read her article in the last vogue us ?
insane !
but i'm going off-topic !

indeed... I would say that most people who are truly of an avant garde style are not lovers of the spotlight. the want for attention, opinons and acceptance, imo, is basically the antithesis of someone who is avant garde.
and maybe this is also a reason a lot of the photos in this thread are generally black and white or beige. neutrals..

colour doesn't hide anyone.
it's like when i am on the bus and take a red book out of my bag. everybody turns to look at it.

what does everyone think??

i was reading through the older posts before i saw the last page in the thread, with all the colour...
i really love this one :crush: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=449913&d=1242320247 the jacket even matches her hair.

it needs a certain kind of destructive energy that may basically be the same thing as what wiw referred to as creative energy.
it is based on things that have already been there before you, like tradition.
you have to know them well in the first place because, without the subjects of destruction, you cannot destroy/create anything.
you understand what they are, then some of you might come to have some drive, or volition against them. and you learn to see your own direction you wish.
so mostly the avantgarde are able to be a classic, orthodox dresser beautifully too, if they had to. maybe they have mastered the fundamentals. that's part of why instant avantgarde is impossible.

That is very true. I feel that most avant-gardist are very open ppl. In order to truly formulate a style of this caliber, one must be very aware of not only what is behind them, but also what is in front of them as well as what is to come. That also goes back to the whole idea of ppl believing something is avant garde due to a lack of knowledge about the genuine origin it hails from.. ex: Kate Lanphear's style

Good pt. about the very minimal, but unexpected use of color, Gius.
Perhaps in the mind of an avant gardist, texture and silhouette take precedence over color...?
I feel that texture and silhouette have a more permeating affect than color in regards to this style of dress...
Color can be so haste and all-consuming when you think about it... the exact opposite of what an avant garde dresser strives for...
Texture and silhouette, however, are two elements that will cling to the memory and resonate at all levels.. at the emotional core as well as the mental core..
it can truly be a feast for the senses... it's an enigma, whereas excessive amounts of color may just give everything away... much too soon.

Color is there to support and/or highlight rather than lead the way...

I think Marni designer Consuelo Castiglioni's style is avant garde...
She is elegantly esoteric..

00550m-1.jpg

00550m.jpg

ccastiglioni_120208_07.jpg

3019MarMarWeb.jpg

source: style, zimbio, thesartorialist

I think I finally get the concept of this thread...
The difference between eccentricity and being avant garde is that being avant garde is quieter, less attention-seeking. It's being different, but by accident. Eccentrics are different because they try to be; the avant garde happens to be different, but is following its own momentum.

Or, at least, that might just be the line we draw to rationalise the fact that there are some looks that seem to work in a full, sophisticated way; and there are others we just don't. Could be entirely arbitrary.

That said, I love all of the pictures in this thread (apart from maybe some of the guys with the very bright colour, perhaps a bit too 'NOW' for me). So maybe there is something intangible but real which we're tapping into here?

I've been thinking a lot about the way I dress recently and find that I'm torn between aiming for something beautiful, artsy and which I will look back on in ten years and still find balanced and not dated... and between looking fashionable, so that people will know I'm so fashionable and be like, oh, yah, you're so cool, yah? :D :D. I feel like I'm maturing and hopefully I will break out of the chrysalis of topshop into the avant garde... or at least, halfway there.

That's an interesting question, especially for the people who don't work in fashion -can you be avant garde and still have a practical wardrobe? The Hannelore pictures make me think yes.

I think I finally get the concept of this thread...
The difference between eccentricity and being avant garde is that being avant garde is quieter, less attention-seeking. It's being different, but by accident. Eccentrics are different because they try to be; the avant garde happens to be different, but is following its own momentum.

Or, at least, that might just be the line we draw to rationalise the fact that there are some looks that seem to work in a full, sophisticated way; and there are others we just don't. Could be entirely arbitrary.

That said, I love all of the pictures in this thread (apart from maybe some of the guys with the very bright colour, perhaps a bit too 'NOW' for me). So maybe there is something intangible but real which we're tapping into here?

I've been thinking a lot about the way I dress recently and find that I'm torn between aiming for something beautiful, artsy and which I will look back on in ten years and still find balanced and not dated... and between looking fashionable, so that people will know I'm so fashionable and be like, oh, yah, you're so cool, yah? :D :D. I feel like I'm maturing and hopefully I will break out of the chrysalis of topshop into the avant garde... or at least, halfway there.

That's an interesting question, especially for the people who don't work in fashion -can you be avant garde and still have a practical wardrobe? The Hannelore pictures make me think yes.

Nothing the avant gardist does is by accident. A lot of thought and conscious effort goes into every aspect of their style.
This style of dress is one that requires lots of thinking + pondering...
very cerebral as well as organic...
However, because it is such a personal, subjective experience, the avant gardist never looks overt or fussy...
because it is their natural disposition to be dressed as they are..

Eccentrics definitely want to be different, too. Some want to seek attn and others really don't give a damn. However, unlike an avant gardist, Eccentrics never really capture that sense of timeless. I feel this happens because they are mostly hellbent on setting themselves apart from the 'now'. Whereas avant gardists aren't really following a scale of time... their instincts and motives are from within.... it's somewhat of a war raging with themselves... to do what has not been done and never repeat themselves... it has nothing to do with society or what society may think of what they're doing...

You can definitely be avant garde and still have a practical wardrobe. As softgrey mentioned, most avant gardist have many classic pieces in their wardrobes. The classic pieces serve as a basis... like clay that is ready to be molded into something subversive + fresh by way of styling and/or the aid/support of garments specifically derived from the science of avant gardism as well as counteractive garments... two elements, that, otherwise, would never have been paired together...
ex - mixing Yohji with J.Crew & vintage pieces.. but in a thoughtful, elegant, timeless manner... one that defies the trends and satiates the desire to find new light in a dim surrounding...

Uberwench, you can shop wherever you want! There are no restrictions! That is the beauty of it... it's all about what you do with the items... and how far you're willing to push your mind and bend the rules...

Loving this thread. I only skimmed the first couple pages, now I may even be so bold as to subscribe. I'm bust trying to tie avant gardism to music and art without being pretentious or hi-jacking the thread...

wiw- you seem to have an excellent grasp of this entire concept...

tFS member petite lucille recently posted a cute shot of herself in WAYWT...
very cool use of colour...
i will have to pull it over here ..
:P

here she is...
isn't she adorable..:P
val.jpg

^ Ty for posting, softie!

She looks lovely... :heart:
That is a perfect example of breathing 'new life' into nostalgic/vintage pieces...
There is nothing costume-y or retro about it... the colors are beautifully subdued too...

i've just read this, thank you!!! especially since i always think people stare at me and go: "she must be in a play or something..":lol:

it's funny...
because i went to a b-day party at a bar where there were all people from the fashion industry and i brought some people who aren't...
and the people who aren't asked- so, who is with the party?...
and i said -'all the people who look like they're wearing a costume!'...

but, they weren't avant garde...maybe they were just a little 'over the top'...
:lol:

i just re read this thread and i have to say that this was a very inspired and interesting conversation with some great points and some great questions...
very thoughtful...very cool...
:heart:

a couple of months ago, my bf's mom asked me what kind of clothes i design (still in university) and she asked me if i did avant-garde designs, and i replied: well, if we think of the origin of the concept, the first-liners in battle who are most likely to be crushed, then yes.:rofl:

and she always says that it's impossible to buy me things because i like strange things, a couple of times i pointed out that most of the ensemble were basics:lol:

I always thought Avant Garde was more fashion art, someone who puts together an outfit that tells a story . Not just throwing on a bunch of different textures and colors and "standing out"

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Weird is Wonderful (and Bankable)

Your weirdness is valuable. Here’s why:

Weird has less competition.
Weirdness, by its very definition, is a deviation from the norm—the opposite of a commodity. Weird makes its own markets. Weirdness makes its own rules. Weirdness provides breathing room and leverage.

Weird is less painful.
To fit inside the cookie cutter, you have to lob off a part of yourself. It hurts less to just be authentic. Stop exhausting yourself pretending to be someone or something you’re not.

Weirdness fosters community.
Weird does not equal alone. Google anything you like, and there’s probably a fan club in support of it. When you admit your weird interests or hobbies or skills, you can and will find others who understand, empathize, and share what you thought was an isolating trait.

Weirdness creates automatic notoriety.
Whatever is most unique about you will become your defining trait. This is how we end up with nicknames and calling cards. And when your calling card is actually special, it’s easy for others to remember you. Wouldn’t you rather be “Amy with the trapeze company” than “Amy with a Y”?

More weirdness means more freedom.
When you’re not trying to fit in, you’re free to stand out. Standouts, if you hadn’t noticed, command respect and attention. Sometimes stepping out of line means you don’t have to wait to do what you always wanted to.

Weird calls for premium pricing.
Different isn’t always better, but better is always different. Take advantage of the fact that most people won’t ever dare to be deviant (even positively deviant), and price your goods, services, and qualities accordingly.

Weird is nontransferable.
You can’t get a degree in being weird. There’s no official uniform for the weird (contrary to what you learned in high school). You don’t lose your special qualities if you lose your job. You can’t forget your weirdness in your other coat. Weirdness—the kind that isn’t an act—is a part of you. And while it might be bullied into hiding or hidden in plain sight, it’s not something you can ever truly lose.

Weirdness: it’s great for parties.
It’s not small talk when you bring up your big weird thing. Weird done right (that is, honestly and positively) is captivating and attractive. Weird is not creepy: weird is what makes life less boring.

forbes.com​

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think she's weird...i think she's boring!...

*yawn*...

^_^

^Haha... that's brilliant! I guess I'll continue to be weird... I'm pretty good at it. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"