This End Up - How to Wear Avant Garde Designs

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Many avant garde designers create things that should come with an instruction booklet on how to tie, button and wear them...labels that say 'this is the front and that is the back'...
or even sometimes an arrow saying--------> 'this end up'

^_^

this thread is for members to help one another figure out and wear these clever creations with confidence and ease...

so ...
if you have any items which just make you go...:unsure:....
'what am i supposed to do with this thing'...???

post them here and we will try to help you figure out 'which end is up'...

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Tao f/w 06 capelet -2pc set

first up..
this is a rosebud capelet...
blk wool jersey...
lost of ties and buttons on the inside that can obviously be done many ways to create various effects...
and only one of the pieces has one 'armhole'
i have photographed both pieces front and back...(inside and out)
then there are closer detail shots of the insides because this is where all the buttons and things are...

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 8
so--
what am i supposed to do with this thing?...

:wink:

oh brilliant! :D

Can I just say how smart you were to get the jersey version? Mine is the grey wool with a pale blue flower and, although it is absolutely gorgeous, a lot harder to work with than this version. :doh:

The style looks pretty similar though...I need to spend some time with mine before I can offer suggestions. :wink:

softie, thanks so much for starting this thread! :kiss:

So one puts their arm through the whole and encounters an assortment of varying wrap techniques! Who knew?! :shock:

It's so beautifully perplexing - a majestic puzzle of sorts. I've looked over the pictures twice already and have yet to muster a coherent suggestion. Perhaps you could omit the extra armhole completely, drape the right shoulder with the cape, wrap the remaining portion of the cape under your left armpit and over your left shoulder once and then fasten the buttons so both sides meet on your chest...?

^ Utterly confusing; even more so than the piece @ hand...

.....:doh::hardhead::lol::blush:

Beautiful piece nonetheless, Soft... :heart:

^^yeah, a one armed piece is always a mental and physical challenge, unless you live in twin peaks world.

omg, i have a christopher kane THING that's perfect for this thread!! I'll photograph it soon...

wiw..i will give you a hint..
one piece is layered ON TOP of the other...

:wink:

and i did lay them right side up..
let the tag be your guide..

^_^

Here are some runway pics for inspiration....click to make them bigger. This is more like the version that I have though (rough wool).

{firstview}

Attachments

• tao shawl front.jpg
    tao shawl front.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 40
  • tao shawl back.jpg
    tao shawl back.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33
were you able to find yours on the runway laika?

mine wasn't there...i looked and looked...
so i'm totally on my own trying to figure it out...
i know i figure out one way..and a little variation of that...
but there have got to be so many more ways to wear it...
:ermm:

is yours the same 'inside' as mine?...
same ties and buttons etc...?

i guess it would be ok just as a really chunky scarf even...

now I understand the obsession with the grey flannel roses tao top. its from the same collection. I could totally see this piece worn as a throw or shawl. the roses are the best part and they would look great thrown about in a casual manner.

soft, I am pretty sure that mine is identical to the runway pic I posted (but in grey). That's how I would like it to look anyway! :lol:

The placement of the rosettes is identical to yours, and so are all the ties and buttons. What I don't understand, is how to get the plain edge of the smaller piece to hang below the ruffled edge of the larger one (in the back).

Are you layering the armhole piece over or under the other one? :ermm:

lucky, you're right...it needs to be worn casually, I think....no added drama necessary. :cool:

hmmm...
armhole piece over...
and the rosettes hang below...

the way i have it...it looks way more like a real shawl than it does in the pic...
more like a capelet really...with the armhole...

ok, so how do you attach the two pieces then? Do you use the ties to put them together, and just close up all the buttons?

My issue is that rosettes bunch up under the flat piece and look very bulky...perhaps it's because the wool has more volume than the jersey. :unsure:

great thread. i love that capelet things- gorgeous.

i have a pair of yohji trousers in fine wool and mohair that are just HUUUGE - like mahoosive (in a size 2) that i bought a few years ago in a closing down shop. the woman told me that i should pin them in . . .? anybody know what i am talking about? no belt loops on them, so they are not even classic paperbag style.

I'm curious what you guys would do with this yohji apron dress. I tend to lean towards simple and uncomplicated so I would most likely do a muted patterned tee and either my yohji docs or tall ann d. boots, but I also have a tissue thin charcoal/white striped turtleneck (the jcrew ones) that I though would be nice under it as well. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

anastasia.net

Attachments

• YXD55150.JPG.jpg
    YXD55150.JPG.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 7
A tube top and tall tall heels.

Fash ho, make it into a paper bag waist. take it to a tailor have then cut slits in the fabric (instead of attaching loops) then take a bit of fabric or leather and string a belt through those loops...voila...wear it with a slim navy turtleneck and tall pumps

I'm too old for a tube top, but I actually like the idea for a younger girl.

how about this?

marni

Attachments

• 37080378KZ_ma2.png
    37080378KZ_ma2.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 2
neither.

I dont like the idea of the striped turtleneck because it's almost like you're attempting to normalize the Yohji piece. what about a fleshtoned top?

:heart: Love the title of this thread! It's so true. So many people get turned off by avante garde simply because they are scared of trying it on (this includes me!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->