Real Models Vs Real People

Discussion in 'The ETC's of the Modeling World' started by softgrey, Mar 18, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

how do you feel about the many mainstream amreican women's magazines using real girls/women for their fashion pages rather than models...

lucky does this every month...we see pics of the editors, pr people and other fashionistas...

teen vogue likes to use a bunch of real girls...

glamour uses women of different body types to show you what's best for you...

do you enjoy seeing real people wearing the clothes and looking good...does this help you relate to a look better...or are you turned off by this...would you rather see a model and then imagine yourself in the outfit...

plese share your thoughts...thx

:flower:

2. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Models all the way.

3. marc jacobs addict

marc jacobs addict New Member

models. hands down. :flower:

4. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

I like seeing real people in street fashion but in editorial spreads I prefer models.

5. FC5

FC5 New Member

models over 'real' people (models are still real people you know ;) )

and models over celebs :angry:

6. marc jacobs addict

agreee!!! i cant stand to see celebs on fashion magazines.

seriously, how long has it been since an actual model graced the cover of vogue???? :angry:

7. faust

faust New Member

agreee!!! i cant stand to see celebs on fashion magazines.

seriously, how long has it been since an actual model graced the cover of vogue???? :angry: [/b][/quote]
    Who reads Vogue? :yuk: :ninja:

8. Sloan

Sloan I love model_mom!

As far as high fashion magazines - Models All the way. I hope that they start using more and more models over celebs.

I don't mind some of the more "down to earth/everyday" mags using real average looking people sometimes in addition to models. It is nice to mix it up once in awhile :flower:

9. pennyfei

pennyfei Member

as a traditional, i want to see the models simply because they are MODELS.

10. pointup

pointup living in the sprawl

i love that lucky uses "real people" for the fashion pages of like what to buy, how to acheive a look, etc..

but i very much agree that models for editorial spreads

11. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

I don't think being a model is a special talent given to a certain few. I think it would actually be quite interesting to see a non-model done up and doing an editorial because I think a lot of women out there are able to do so. That said, I still like to see models, but including non-models is a very interesting concept to me.

12. marc jacobs addict

Who reads Vogue? :yuk: :ninja: [/b][/quote]
    obviously i do. :innocent:

13. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

Models!!!!!!!! The clothes look much more appealing.

14. tiffany

tiffany Active Member

I think sometimes using non-models can be very interesting, but I usually prefer models in editorials -

although technically isn't anyone who is "modeling" clothes - whether a professional or not - actually a model? :innocent: just a thought..

15. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

both......depending on the situatuion

16. Luna

Luna offline.

I like seeing normal people... I'm short as crap... and definitely not a size -1.... Models always make me feel like a heffer. :p They're pretty to look at, though. I guess I like a mixture. :p

17. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

thanks for all the feedback folks...the board seems to be pretty divided on this topic...i would personally like to see more models...i think they do a better job of getting an idea accross...also, they fit the samples...which only come in one size...

i like to see profiles of real people, where they shop, products they like, etc... and i like street style photos alot too...

:flower:

18. Amara

Amara New Member

Why don't we call them non models instead of real people...I have always disliked the idea that many have that if you are a model or are thin then you aren't a real woman.

My opinion is, non models, models, celebrities I don't care who wears the clothes as long as they look good. Although diversity is always nice to see and it's interesting to see magazines try something different.

~Amara ^_^

19. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

obviously i do. :innocent: [/b][/quote]
    Same here.

20. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

Agreed, these generalizations are a little off. Models are "real people" just as much as "regular people" become models if they are modeling clothing.
    However, I must say that I would rather see experienced and beautiful models wearing the clothing. Quite simply, they just look better in it than you or I ever would. If all I want is to see a regular person wearing the clothing I'll go outside. I look at fashion magazines and runways shows as a means of escapism. I am not interested in seeing any Jane Smith modeling for Chanel. Also, people are more willing to buy the clothing if it is being worn by someone attractive. Finally, as difficult as it is for me to admit it, that Versace gown will always look better on say, Karolina Kurkova, than that it ever would on me! :lol: