Ryan Murphy vs. Kings of Leon and Slash

LolaSvelt

Reaction score
Kings Of Leon and Slash have been blacklisted from Glee, the show's creator Ryan Murphy says.

US rockers Kings Of Leon turned down the show's request to feature their hit Use Somebody, and Ryan admitted he still hasn't got over the snub.

"F*** you, Kings Of Leon ... they missed the big picture. They missed that a seven-year-old kid can see someone close to their age singing a Kings Of Leon song, which will maybe make them want to join a glee club or pick up a musical instrument," he told the Hollywood Reporter.

"You can make fun of Glee all you want, but at its heart, what we really do is turn kids on to music."

Kings Of Leon frontman Caleb Followill said the feud had got out of hand.

"This whole Glee thing is a shock to us," he told the US magazine.

"At the time of the request, we hadn't even seen the show. This was never meant as a slap in the face to Glee or to music education or to fans of the show. We're not sure where the anger is coming from. We just said no to a licence for a TV show, which we do a lot."

Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, who reportedly described Glee as "worse than Grease, and Grease is bad enough", also provoked Ryan's wrath.

"Usually I find people who make those comments, their careers are over; they're uneducated and quite stupid," Ryan responded.
Nathan Followill responded with:
“Dear Ryan Murphy, let it go. See a therapist, get a manicure, buy a new bra. Zip your lip and focus on educating 7yr olds how to say f–k.”
...and now Murphy calls Nathan 'homophobic':
"Just read Nathan Followill's Tweet…in which he implied I should ‘get a manicure and buy a bra.’ Wow. That's a homophobe badly in need of some education. I'm all for manicures, don't wear a bra. Would guess most gay dudes don't. But it's telling that Nathan can reduce a group of people to a mean-spirited cliché, in a time where young gay men are killing themselves all over the country because of hatred like this.
That said, I would love to sit down with Nathan or any member of Kings and Leon, and tell them how on Glee we actually love their music, and support their artistry…but cannot condone or even laugh at their clear disdain of gay people. "
Sorry, love, he wasn't being being homophobic. He was comparing you to a whiny b*tch, which you are. Overdramatic twat. Also...way to be hypocritical Ryan. Preaching to us about bullying. Look at you now.

Also...'mean spirited cliche'? Has he not seen his own show?

One more reason to hate Glee - the contrived, preachy agenda-pushing, auto-tuned piece of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a HUGE KOL fan but honestly, whenever they get so overly defensive about things like that they just come across stupid :doh: IMO Nate's comment did sound a bit homophobic - not saying he is homophobic - and it puzzles my mind why KOL's publicits lets them react to such reports like that, even if it's just on his personal Twitter but that's not the first time Nathan has had to apologize for insulting another celebrity. Not that I think Nate shouldn't be allowed to express his opinions on his Twitter it's just that it seems to affect the way the public thinks of the band as a whole.

That being said, that Glee guy does sound like a seriously self-absorbed and pathetic person :lol:

I hate Glee. Anyone that doesn't like Glee gets my full support.:lol:

i hate it too. ryan murphy is just being a bitter queen because the world doesn't revolve around him and his overrated dreck of a show.

i certainly don't think any single one of them are homophobes and to suggest that is equally ignorant and as lola said also quite hypocritical. personally i don't necessarily feel offended by that comment. i've certainly heard much worse and so much of it rarely gets called out in that vein,unfortunately. of course,he could have done without the bra bit but again,that murphy character provoked them so his mouth perhaps overloaded his bum in the heat of everything.

and lola,i do agree with you on the cliche bit. i mean didn't he just finish posting what "self-centred a*sholes" they were?

all parties involved have displayed their unprofessionalism. for any popular music artist to not know about glee (especially, with its audience), shows how far out of touch they are with the industry in general. kings of leon isn't some indie band that plays the bar circuit; they could use the exposure to an audience like glee's no matter the personal opinion of the show.

and ryan murphy needs to take it down a notch: while i do think the statement made by the kings of leon bandmember smack of homophobia, there exist a number of groups that would've pointed that out relatively quickly. for him to stoop down to their level by keeping up this statement back and fourth really reveals something less-than-savvy about him.

It's such a pet peeve of mine when people start a sentece with "Dear ...., let it go" and then they add another insult since that is clearly the only thing that will keep this silly thing going instead of just dropping it. Caleb already issued a statement in the original report anyway so there wasn't really any need for Nathan to pick the matter up and further insult that Glee guy.

all parties involved have displayed their unprofessionalism. for any popular music artist to not know about glee (especially, with its audience), shows how far out of touch they are with the industry in general. kings of leon isn't some indie band that plays the bar circuit; they could use the exposure to an audience like glee's no matter the personal opinion of the show.

and ryan murphy needs to take it down a notch: while i do think the statement made by the kings of leon bandmember smack of homophobia, there exist a number of groups that would've pointed that out relatively quickly. for him to stoop down to their level by keeping up this statement back and fourth really reveals something less-than-savvy about him.
They said they never watched the show. They never said they hadn't heard of Glee. They didn't even make fun of Glee like he claimed they did. They also said that they didn't want to overexpose that particular song (which had already been overexposed), so no, they really didn't want the exposure. They are already huge. At least here in the UK.

I strongly disagree. KOL obviously does not have any interest in having their music raped and destroyed on a show like Glee. They do not appeal to 12 year olds, and they don't wish to. That doesn't make them indie, that just make them sensible.

I had to google Glee, didn't know what it was. It wasn't pretty. Very American, very disgusting and fake.

While i find Nathan's comment homophobic i also find Murphy's lynch against every single artist who refuses to give rights to their songs disgusting by now. Plus, he's taking himself far too seriously, almost as if he sees himself as a leader "of against bullying gay people" agenda in HW. i mean, i'm all for standing up when it comes to certain issues, but i cannot help myself from thinking he's not doing the same thing "in return" which was quite visible in Glee (as he's a writer) with Kurt's storyline with Finn (for those who don't follow the show: Kurt is gay, Finn's heterosexual and Kurt was in love with him and went after him after Finn's repeated displease with it which resulted in Kurt "diagnosing" him with homophobia after Finn broke down and called him out in homophobic manner. after that, writers didn't touch the subject from Finn's perspective until, after repeated comments circling on the net from displeased fans and double standard, only the second season started). anyhow, in a weird way,this "scandal" reminds me of that episode.

God, I hate Glee. It's reeks of the kind of American cheesiness lapped up by the lowest common denominator. There's not an iota of wit or irony or subtlety to be found anywhere, but is riddled with every conceivable type of cliche followed by moralising that's so staggeringly and unabashedly patronising that I find it an insult to my intelligence. Ryan Murphy is an arrogant tosser who seems to be taking his show and the hype way too seriously.

I watch Glee and I enjoy it. And I still think Ryan Murphy is being a self-absorved idiot. Who cares if KOL don't want to give their musics? Shouldn't that be their right, in the 1st place? Also, Nathan's statement was unnecessary, but calling it homophobic seems a little over the top.

They said they never watched the show. They never said they hadn't heard of Glee. They didn't even make fun of Glee like he claimed they did. They also said that they didn't want to overexpose that particular song (which had already been overexposed), so no, they really didn't want the exposure. They are already huge. At least here in the UK.

glee is the number one show among 12-17 year olds in the united states, and the number four show among 18-49 year olds in the united states. even on an 'off week' the show rakes in four to five million viewers and during good weeks this soars to TWELVE MILLION VIEWERS in the united states alone. that's more than watch the MTV Video Music Awards; do you think they'd decline an appearance on that show because "they haven't heard of it?"

secondarily, the songs featured on glee go on to have a second life as hit downloads on itunes. it's the only show on television that directly incorporates the music of popular artists into its weekly storyline. in that way, it's significant no matter your opinion of the show. it's like an artist five years ago saying "i never heard of itunes and i don't need that exposure." it's simply not logical for a popular recording artist which kings of leon IS no matter what they say. i've been to one of their concerts, they're in the business of turning tickets, make no mistake.

being "huge" has nothing to do with it. they are not the best selling artist of all time. they could use the boost in sales and image a show like glee provides period. an argument about not needing the exposure like glee's would work perhaps for an indie band that does NOT want to cultivate a popular following. but CLEARLY kings of leon is not on that path.

i don't understand how ANYONE can watch glee and learn anything from it. even with the gay/bullying story-line which i believed was dragged out and honestly was exploiting a greater issue to make the show have some merit or influence on pop culture. its putting itself on a pedestal now but cue the sharks.

and glee is not the only form of media to give a band exposure and good for kings of leon to do what they please, with THEIR song. not everything is about sales and getting #1 on iTunes by having auto-tuned actors "sing" their song. how about integrity, which obviously glee nor murphy have. nathan's comments were not homophobic, uncalled for yes, but please, i'd be pissed to if some idiot told me to f off because i didn't worship his show.

rant over :flower:

i don't understand how ANYONE can watch glee and learn anything from it. even with the gay/bullying story-line which i believed was dragged out and honestly was exploiting a greater issue to make the show have some merit or influence on pop culture. its putting itself on a pedestal now but cue the sharks.

and glee is not the only form of media to give a band exposure and good for kings of leon to do what they please, with THEIR song. not everything is about sales and getting #1 on iTunes by having auto-tuned actors "sing" their song. how about integrity, which obviously glee nor murphy have. nathan's comments were not homophobic, uncalled for yes, but please, i'd be pissed to if some idiot told me to f off because i didn't worship his show.

rant over :flower:

kings of leon share a record label with the likes of ke$ha, barry manilow, whitney houston, and others. to pretend that they're this intense music band that's careful about the exposure of their music is a joke. they are a popular recording group looking to make a buck and for them to spew their blind ignorance in the furtherance of that goal is simple foolishness. for ryan murphy to continue it, redoubles that foolishness.

and if you don't like the storylines, don't watch the show. this is about whether or not it's a smart decision as a PROFESSIONAL musician to turn down that type of opportunity. and clearly, it's not. do you think they're going to sell some records by NOT appearing on the show? doubtful. just like i doubt glee is going to win any viewers by perpetuating this fight.

glee is the number one show among 12-17 year olds in the united states, and the number four show among 18-49 year olds in the united states. even on an 'off week' the show rakes in four to five million viewers and during good weeks this soars to TWELVE MILLION VIEWERS in the united states alone. that's more than watch the MTV Video Music Awards; do you think they'd decline an appearance on that show because "they haven't heard of it?"

secondarily, the songs featured on glee go on to have a second life as hit downloads on itunes. it's the only show on television that directly incorporates the music of popular artists into its weekly storyline. in that way, it's significant no matter your opinion of the show. it's like an artist five years ago saying "i never heard of itunes and i don't need that exposure." it's simply not logical for a popular recording artist which kings of leon IS no matter what they say. i've been to one of their concerts, they're in the business of turning tickets, make no mistake.

being "huge" has nothing to do with it. they are not the best selling artist of all time. they could use the boost in sales and image a show like glee provides period. an argument about not needing the exposure like glee's would work perhaps for an indie band that does NOT want to cultivate a popular following. but CLEARLY kings of leon is not on that path.
Who is saying that they are?

Did you ignore my comment when I said that they didn't like that their song, Use Somebody, was getting overexposed? Of course they didn't want to use it again. It's really as simple as that. I have no idea why you are talking about their popularity. They are popular enough. All you need to do is look at how many hits their songs get on YouTube. It might not be on the same level as Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga, but the alternative/indie genre is not as accessible as the pop genre, evidently.
and if you don't like the storylines, don't watch the show. this is about whether or not it's a smart decision as a PROFESSIONAL musician to turn down that type of opportunity. and clearly, it's not. do you think they're going to sell some records by NOT appearing on the show? doubtful. just like i doubt glee is going to win any viewers by perpetuating this fight.
I find this comment absolutely ridiculous. They can do whatever they want to do.

They clearly do not want to be associated with the Glee brand and i can totally understand why.
Plus KOL already have a huge credibility problem at the moment, the last thing they needs is hordes of their core fan base to speak in outrage against it. Yes they are not an indie band now, but they were a very successful indie band, they are still trying a totally impossible balancing act between totally selling out and pleasing the original fans.
I do not Know the why the wrong kind of exposure , even if it brings in the millions, is a positive thing, Glee is a joke, as a KOL fan, the last time i said something positive about them was when they refused their music to be used in this god awful TV show.

Who is saying that they are?

Did you ignore my comment when I said that they didn't like that their song, Use Somebody, was getting overexposed? Of course they didn't want to use it again. It's really as simple as that. I have no idea why you are talking about their popularity. They are popular enough. All you need to do is look at how many hits their songs get on YouTube. It might not be on the same level as Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga, but the alternative/indie genre is not as accessible as the pop genre, evidently.
I find this comment absolutely ridiculous. They can do whatever they want to do.

either you espouse an idealistic view or an ignorant view of the realities of the PROFESSIONAL music business. again, if they were an HONESTLY independent music band (independent meaning NOT depenedent on a record label), then you might have a point, but these record labels demand certain sacrifices in return for the MILLIONS of dollars they dole out. that's why ACTUAL independent musicians refuse to sign with MAJOR labels like that. it compromises the integrity FROM THE JUMP.

They clearly do not want to be associated with the Glee brand and i can totally understand why.
Plus KOL already have a huge credibility problem at the moment, the last thing they needs is hordes of their core fan base to speak in outrage against it. Yes they are not an indie band now, but they were a very successful indie band, they are still trying a totally impossible balancing act between totally selling out and pleasing the original fans.
I do not Know the why the wrong kind of exposure , even if it brings in the millions, is a positive thing, Glee is a joke, as a KOL fan, the last time i said something positive about them was when they refused their music to be used in this god awful TV show.

that might hold water if they knew what "glee was! you're projecting your own knowledge and opinion about the show onto them when their statement runs counter. further, if they wish not to associate with the show, perpetuating this fight does nothing but make that association stronger.

Ryan does need to take a chill pill and KOL have always had a reputation of being a-holes so what's new there. But at the end of the day Paul McCartney's handing him unheard music and Madonna gives access to her whole catalogue so who cares if one band doesn't want to be on your show.

I can't believe how this whole thing has blown up. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Both were being insulting and condescending to each other... no doubt about that. But Ryan Murphy didn't need to get so worked up over KOL refusing to allow their song to be used in the first place. It's their right, Geez

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->