Ryan Murphy vs. Kings of Leon and Slash

I love how people in here are somewhat implying how above and beyond KOL is to even be featured in Glee.

And from what I've read, most of the people defending KOL as purely innocent in the matter and downright blaming Ryan for the whole issue really are stemming their opinions on from their Glee hate.

I'm sorry, but if you don't like Glee, then you can just say so. There's no use trying to defend why you hate it by calling it contrived, stupid, or filled with less than amazing singers because really Lea's resume can prove otherwise. Just say you don't just because you don't.

that might hold water if they knew what "glee was! you're projecting your own knowledge and opinion about the show onto them when their statement runs counter. further, if they wish not to associate with the show, perpetuating this fight does nothing but make that association stronger.

Do you actually believe they do not Know what Glee is? Or that they do not have people that explain to them in detail what Glee represents? If it's a good or a bad idea that let them use their music? That they just dismiss it because they do not watch it? They are a million dollar business now, those decisions are taking carefully.

Regardless of my opinion about the show, Glee is everything that KOL try not to be, you do not need to be a marketing genius to understand that being associated with a show that your core fan base does not identify with, it's not a good idea. They clearly have no problem perpetuating the idea they are the anti-Glee, they are accused of being sell outs so many times, that they will hold the fact that they refused to be part of one of the most popular shows in America as a badge of honour.

Oh wow, what a whiny egocentric b*tch that Ryan is. What did he expect, that being featured on Glee is so prestigious that it can't be turned down ? Yes it can, sorry moron.

Do you actually believe they do not Know what Glee is? Or that they do not have people that explain to them in detail what Glee represents? If it's a good or a bad idea that let them use their music? That they just dismiss it because they do not watch it? They are a million dollar business now, those decisions are taking carefully.

Regardless of my opinion about the show, Glee is everything that KOL try not to be, you do not need to be a marketing genius to understand that being associated with a show that your core fan base does not identify with, it's not a good idea. They clearly have no problem perpetuating the idea they are the anti-Glee, they are accused of being sell outs so many times, that they will hold the fact that they refused to be part of one of the most popular shows in America as a badge of honour.

then, why say it? that's the thing about public statements....:innocent:

Oh wow, what a whiny egocentric b*tch that Ryan is. What did he expect, that being featured on Glee is so prestigious that it can't be turned down ? Yes it can, sorry moron.

how dare he? he only lords over a ratings' hit that won the golden globe for best television series, comedy or musical. how dare he have any airs! :rolleyes:

i've met producers who put together one off-off-broadway show with more haughtiness than this exchange has let on.

It's annoying how some people can be like "I hate Glee because it's too mainstream!". Same thing goes with other pop culture sensations, like Lady GaGa or Paris Hilton. We all get it, you are indie and you hate everything that's popular, but I don't see the need to bash it. I personally is a fan of pop culture but I never call indie bands "stupid". Anyways back on topic, I do agree that Ryan Murphy blew it out of proportion. As for Kings of Leon, it's their loss not Glee's.

it's also kind of funny that kings of leon let american idol use their music but not glee.

it's also kind of funny that kings of leon let american idol use their music but not glee.

Well there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee. Besides the fact that Glee is much worse. It would be the height of preciousness not letting random people that are participating in a contest cover your music.

Plus I do not know about copyright laws in America, but in the UK you do not need permission from the band to cover their songs the way American Idol and X Factor do it. If then the show itself wants to cover the song, like the winners song in the X factor , basically what Glee is asking, only then you will ask permission to use it from the copyright holders. You still can cover the song even if they refuse, but the use of the song would be much more restricted and the royalties much bigger.

Well there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee. Besides the fact that Glee is much worse. It would be the height of preciousness not letting random people that are participating in a contest cover your music.

Plus I do not know about copyright laws in America, but in the UK you do not need permission from the band to cover their songs the way American Idol and X Factor do it. If then the show itself wants to cover the song, like the winners song in the X factor , basically what Glee is asking, only then you will ask permission to use it from the copyright holders. You still can cover the song even if they refuse, but the use of the song would be much more restricted and the royalties much bigger.

they used the song as the closing number in the american idol concert series; you definitely need permission for that sort of thing. and those concerts certainly have the same amount of tween sensation/cheese factor as an episode of glee.

Did Ryan really had to respond with F you? He just made a huge red mark on Glee's face.

how dare he? he only lords over a ratings' hit that won the golden globe for best television series, comedy or musical. how dare he have any airs! :rolleyes:

Yes how dare he. Even with all the awards in the world, nor KOL nor anyone should feel compelled to accept this proposition just because the show is successful :rolleyes: A lot of people think Glee is rubbish by the way.

I cannot wait till Glee's 15 minutes of fame are up and we don't have to hear about it, in the same fashion we don't hear about Desperate Housewives anymore. I enjoy the music on the show and Sue Sylvester is a hoot and a half, but the show is so painful to watch because of how brutally awful the writing is. I can't stand all those sassy characters and how cliche everything is about them.

And Ryan Murphy needs to start acting like a grown-up not a butt-hurt teenager. Badmouthing KOL (I don't even care for them) and then acting so high and mighty when they respond? Seriously, grow up dude. Not everyone is in love with your show as you are.

they used the song as the closing number in the american idol concert series; you definitely need permission for that sort of thing. and those concerts certainly have the same amount of tween sensation/cheese factor as an episode of glee.

You do not need to ask permission to perform a song live. The US law is actually the same as UK law. I checked.

http://www.indieguide.com/wiki/page/Copyright_for_Cover_Songs_and_Loops

Plus American Idol and shows like those pay royalties to the publishers of the songs to use their catalogue. Like any LIVE venue would, is not like every week they go after the artists asking permission for their songs to be sang.
If they want the record then to be sold, the way they do in the X factor with the winners song, then they do have to ask, not that they will strictly need their permission.

Regardless, there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee, it would be ridiculous to the extreme to forbid your song to be sang by participants in a contest, the show has no particular agenda. It's not because
Glee is frankly tacky and watched by tweens that would be bad for the KOL brand to be associated with it.

Sorry but having your music feature on a reality show vs a prime time award winning comedy/drama is way more satisfying as an artist.

Most if not all actors/artists want any type of reality show to go away. I doubt The Who would rather their music be on the Amazing Race over CSI. Lou Reed said no to Susan Boyle. There was some "press release" saying it was a mistake by the producers but notice he hadn't denied the story.

Anyone else remember when Britain's first reality show group Hear'Say performed at the Brit Awards the whole room booed them. It was really embarrassing for them.

Reality show winners are not 100% respected in the industry. Music insiders hate what Simon Cowell has done to the music industry especially the whole hoopla around Xmas No 1.

You do not need to ask permission to perform a song live. The US law is actually the same as UK law. I checked.

Plus American Idol and shows like those pay royalties to the publishers of the songs to use their catalogue. Like any LIVE venue would, is not like every week they go after the artists asking permission for their songs to be sang.
If they want the record then to be sold, the way they do in the X factor with the winners song, then they do have to ask, not that they will strictly need their permission.

Regardless, there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee, it would be ridiculous to the extreme to forbid your song to be sang by participants in a contest, the show has no particular agenda. It's not because
Glee is frankly tacky and watched by tweens that would be bad for the KOL brand to be associated with it.

thank you for that link :flower: i have learned something today. we'll have to agree to disagree however since i do believe that professionally it would've had the selfsame effect if kings of leon made a stink about their song getting used by the american idol gang. it's the same audience. and i guess, by this measure, it makes it even more foolish for kings of leon to get in a spat with the show since, according to the link, glee could just shoot a live episode and/or stage a concert to inch around the permission issue....:innocent:

Well that was way too rude. I would never call myself a tween but I love the show and so do many grown up people I know. And although RM can be annoying sometimes I still have more respect for him than those KoL guys who I couldn't care less about.

It's not because

As if tweens don't listen to Kings of Leon. :lol:

I'm so sick of Kings of Leon and their fans acting like they're the second coming of The Band or something when they're just another mediocre rock band. :rolleyes: You might as well be listening to Nickelback.

I hate Glee. Anyone that doesn't like Glee gets my full support.:lol:

im with you
i have no idea what the law says about this, but i saw the pilot and that was enough.
KOL may not be the best band in the world, but they are fine
Slash is a legend

As if tweens don't listen to Kings of Leon. :lol:

I'm so sick of Kings of Leon and their fans acting like they're the second coming of The Band or something when they're just another mediocre rock band. :rolleyes: You might as well be listening to Nickelback.

Where was the part that is NOT because it's frankly tacky and watched by tween did you and the last poster before you did not understood. :rolleyes: Sometimes I despair...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->