Ryan Murphy vs. Kings of Leon and Slash

thank you for that link :flower: i have learned something today. we'll have to agree to disagree however since i do believe that professionally it would've had the selfsame effect if kings of leon made a stink about their song getting used by the american idol gang. it's the same audience. and i guess, by this measure, it makes it even more foolish for kings of leon to get in a spat with the show since, according to the link, glee could just shoot a live episode and/or stage a concert to inch around the permission issue....:innocent:

True. They do not have strictly to have their permission, they could just cover the song, pay them the highest rate for royalties and comply with a bit more restrictions than usual. But why would they? Like you said it yourself, the profile of Glee is much higher in the Us than the profile of KOL, why would they need to use songs by artists that do not want to be associated with them and i'm sure most pop artists are falling over each to have their songs in an episode.
That's exactly why his hysterical reaction to it is baffling, but like you said we just have to agree to disagree.

KOL songs have been featured on the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show so I doubt if they really are "above" licensing their songs for mass consumption. If Caleb's statement to US magazine (quoted below) had been the only response, then KOL would have had the high ground, but unfortunately they lost that position when the other member got involved.

"This whole Glee thing is a shock to us... At the time of the request, we hadn't even seen the show. This was never meant as a slap in the face to Glee or to music education or to fans of the show. We're not sure where the anger is coming from. We just said no to a license for a TV show, which we do a lot."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->