Sabato De Sarno - Designer, Creative Director of Gucci

MissTweed.com

STEFANO CANTINO APPOINTED CEO OF GUCCI

Stefano Cantino was named CEO of Gucci this week. The 57-year-old Italian has the toughest job in the industry. Turning around Gucci with sales collapsing in China and a designer who does not appear fit for this position. It's not going to be an easy ride.

Cantino has never been the boss of a luxury brand. He knows a lot about marketing and events - having looked after these sides of the business for many years at Louis Vuitton and before that at Prada. But it's not the same as being the CEO, especially at a €10 billion megabrand that's seen its sales and crucial "buzz" collapse in the past year under new designer Sabato de Sarno.
De Sarno, like Cantino now, was also an untested choice when he took on the top job.

Why couldn't Kering hire someone like John Galantic as CEO? Galantic used to run Chanel in the US and built the French fashion brand's online business. He was available.

Instead, Tod's Group, which is now part of the LVMH galaxy, hired him and he's now managing director. Maybe Francesca Bellettini, Deputy CEO of Kering in charge of Brand Development, did not want a strong CEO so that she could have a say on the way Gucci was run? Cantino's appointment is cryptic.

Cantino, who joined Gucci May 2024 as deputy CEO, will report to Bellettini, Kering said. He will also have a seat on Kering's Executive Committee and will succeed Jean-François Palus,
Kering's former managing director as of January 1, 2025.

LVMH encouraged Cantino to find opportunities outside of the group when he left on April 30, people with first-hand knowledge of the matter said. That's why he could start on May 2 at Gucci. If the French luxury group wanted to retain him, it would have enforced the non-competition clause in his contract that prevents people from joining a major rival immediately.

"I am confident that, building on what has been set up over the past 15 months, Stefano and the Gucci team will succeed in the mission to take Gucci back to the leadership the brand deserves," Bellettini said in a statement published on Tuesday. Let's hope that she is right.

Cantino was in charge of events at Louis Vuitton and was never keen on inviting independent media like Miss Tweed who potentially had the freedom to criticize the brand. He did not send an invitation for the last Gucci show either.

At Louis Vuitton, Cantino was the boss of Julien Guerrier, the talented editor who built Louis Vuitton Edition from scratch over 20 years and started the City Guides collection.

Guerrier told people behind closed doors that Cantino did not understand how books and the publishing of great photographers and writers were good for Louis Vuitton's image.
Due to this clash of visions, Guerrier left in 2022 to start Chanel's publishing house. He had great ambitions for that project. He died suddenly in January 2023 at the age of 46. Since he passed away, Chanel has not yet found a replacement.

Many big luxury brands have publishing departments. Dior puts out several books a year and has a strong dedicated team. Hermès has one as well, responsible notably for the Monde d'Hermès booklet which is always full of photos of art - not only the brand's products.

Since Cantino joined Gucci in May, many positions in the communications and marketing departments have yet to be filled, sources close to the brand have said.

Palus has not been interacting much with the teams.
People at Gucci were told to report to Cantino even before his nomination was announced this week, sources close to the brand say. Investors may want to ask Kering about the choice of Cantino versus other candidates.

It's just like the nomination of Palus as CEO of Gucci following the abrupt departure of Marco Bizzarri in July last year. Palus is not a product or merchandising maestro.

Finance and strategy are his strengths. People informed of the decision say Kering CEO François-Henri Pinault's promotion of Palus was a reward for loyalty over many years. It is a timely reminder that Kering is still a family-led company. Being CEO of Italy-based Gucci too meant Palus could claim the attractive tax conditions reserved to people coming to Italy that would safeguard the wealth he accumulated over the 33 years he worked for him and his father François Pinault. Palus helped make the Pinault family one of the wealthiest in Europe. They owed him this move.

Investors like to hear that nominations, particularly for that of CEO of Gucci
, Kering's main source of revenue and profit, are based on merit not on favors and tax considerations.

Sure, Palus is a trustworthy lieutenant but talent, vision and experience growing brands is what investors want to see in terms of background when hiring someone to run a brand as important as Gucci.

He died suddenly in January 2023 at the age of 46. Since he passed away, Chanel has not yet found a replacement.
omg i just find out this! what happened??? :/
Finance and strategy are his strengths. People informed of the decision say Kering CEO François-Henri Pinault's promotion of Palus was a reward for loyalty over many years. It is a timely reminder that Kering is still a family-led company. Being CEO of Italy-based Gucci too meant Palus could claim the attractive tax conditions reserved to people coming to Italy that would safeguard the wealth he accumulated over the 33 years he worked for him and his father François Pinault. Palus helped make the Pinault family one of the wealthiest in Europe. They owed him this move.
where is he now?

This hilariously transparent advert came up on my recommendations:

I already expressed my point of view in the SS25 collection thread but I think his team did a great job this season in releasing many interesting bags:
- The half moon shaped top handle in Ancora red waxed leather looks really luxurious and desirable. I really like the unusual shape but I think the shape itself will prevent it in turning into an IT bag
- The GG Milano bag would be the perfect commercial IT bag: the GG embossed one is perfect for tacky people who want to show off logos. The quilted one looks more elevated and fashion forward, it is definitely my favorite. The smooth leather one is not my favorite cause the leather looks quite wrinkled and aged in the website images, it would further wrinkle in no time

Anyway I think there was a huge improvement in the accessory department from the first to the second show:
- First show had that horrible Gucci luce that resembled a Guess bag priced at 3k, plus those clownish platform loafers. It's ridiculous they only pushed the Jackie (that is already an heritage bag) and the Jackie Notte as bags.
- Second show had: leather boots, new desirable bags, nice fashion jewelry with chokers and foulard

LVMH encouraged Cantino to find opportunities outside of the group when he left on April 30, people with first-hand knowledge of the matter said. That's why he could start on May 2 at Gucci. If the French luxury group wanted to retain him, it would have enforced the non-competition clause in his contract that prevents people from joining a major rival immediately.
This is the best part of the article: you know there's something wrong when a company like LVMH allows someone to switch to the the biggest competitor in less than week, hence invalidating the non compete agreement previously signed...

omg i just find out this! what happened??? :/

where is he now?
on the death of Julien Guerrier. Julien had joined Chanel in September 2022 to lead the 7L ...

Palus is still in gucci as ceo till end of the year technically

Alessio Vannetti Gucci chief brand officer /ex Valentino is supposed to be leaving as well now ........not even a year after being appointed :popcorn:

I guess the Catino clean up crew has started lol

on the death of Julien Guerrier. Julien had joined Chanel in September 2022 to lead the 7L ...

Palus is still in gucci as ceo till end of the year technically
Still in shock for his death? heart attack? he was young!

Alessio Vannetti Gucci chief brand officer /ex Valentino is supposed to be leaving as well now ........not even a year after being appointed :popcorn:

I guess the Catino clean up crew has started lol
omg noooo really??? he is cutting heads right away!...crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chops
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->