So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Models need to be confident and establish confidence through work experience and developing their style, however I also believe in trial and error. By this, I mean models can make mistakes with the style they incorporate into shoots, there is usually a lot of portfolio building and photographers can approach models. I have seen the most successful models come into the industry with a developed style, and I believe this is one of the reasons behind their success however other less knowledged models can lack understanding of bringing their style and personality into shoots.

Anyone also noticed this or encountered this through experience? I am also quite keen to hear people's thoughts on how they perceive themselves and also how they see other models, do you think models get self conscious of their style, looks, work? Do you think common models compare themselves to each other?

I believe there is less jealousy amongst the top models but I can see that if models were to develop an attitude, they might not last because of the negativity.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does it typically take the big NY agencies (Ford, Elite, Fusion, DNA, etc.) to respond to online submissions? What would you say is the longest and shortest amount of time would they take?

Also, big thanks for this thread and especially to BetteT for all this great information!

you girls are lucky, I cannot even dream of modeling, I am 5 feet tall. My cousin is my height at the age of 12. Some people came to her school to talk about modeling with the girls.

Does a top model have to usually sign a model release prior to shooting or doing any modelling work?

you girls are lucky, I cannot even dream of modeling, I am 5 feet tall. My cousin is my height at the age of 12. Some people came to her school to talk about modeling with the girls.

Well, don't be sad, height isn't the only thing that matters. :flower:

Classic Modelling

Hello

I went to Italy recently and was told by a model agent that Asian models are "in" at the moment in Europe. I was thinking about going back into modelling as I used to model in my teens and thought about "classic modelling". I'm Eurasian, 5ft 10 and 30 years old who looks 25.

Does anyone know about classic modelling, especially in London?
How do I go about trying to see if I can be a classic model?
What about my age?
Are eurasian looks in at the moment? What is in at the moment with models?
What kind of work would I do if I were a classic model?

Sorry for all the questions, but just thinking about this to raise more cash.

"Classic" models don't do a lot of fashion ... mostly commercial. Unless, of course, if they are famous and are still working when they get older. Then they may book some fashion and runway and even cosmetics, if the producer is looking for a known face. So, I would suggest that you head to agencies that have commercial divisions ... that would probably be your best chance.

It will be hard to start all over, however because there are tons of excellent working models who are aging (unfortunately, you are considered classic at about 25). and already have been fully developed ... with good skills and a strong portfolio. And even then, most don't work past that age because there is not much demand. But if you have the look that an agency wants, it's not impossible.

I don't know about exactly what they want in Europe, but in the U.S. Eurasian or mixed race models have been in demand for quite a while. It is partly because so many people can relate to these models. And also because their look is rather ambiguous ... hard to really determine what the model's heritage is. So they can do a lot of different looks and it works.

I have this really massive meeting with IMG models later this week and was wondering if anyone here had some tips?
just quickly an overview of my modelling career so far: I entered a local modelling contest here in new zealand, I made it into the finals but I didnt win because I was legally to young, but the agency sponsoring showed some interest in me and then eventually signed me! Because of high school i have only done a handle of jobs, but i love it! Now im finished high school, potentially i could look at doing more.

So my agency put me forward with this meeting with IMG global top model scout Jeni Rose, which is an honour in itself. There are 12 other girls Jeni has requested to see, many of which I know and are quite talented.

Does anyone have any advice particularly to do with IMG? what kind of girls do you think they are look for? What do you think i should wear and how do you think i could make myself stand out more from the other girls?

Thanks, love this forum thread guys!!

I can't tell you what IMG is looking for ... because that can change from week to week, depending on the market in your part of the world and who they already have on their board.

But what they always want to see is YOU .... without much makeup and hair all done up, and without being cluttered up with accessories. They need to see the raw material that will be working with, to determine whether or not you possess the natural attributes that they need. So, go with no makeup ... or at least minimal makeup like a tinted skin cream ... they will want to see your skin. Pull your hair back off your face so they can see your bone structure. Wear simple, body conscious clothes ... so they can see your shape. Not sexy ... just close to the body. Bring or wear heels in case they want you to walk for them.

What you do and say can make a slight difference ... if they like the "raw material" that they see. They will like a girl who is positive and self assured without having an attitude . If they decide to rep you, you will have to follow their guidance to prepare yourself to be marketed (yes, you are just a commodity) .... so let them know that you are open to suggestions and criticism. If you come in looking right .... like a pro model on a casting call (see my suggestions, above), it will make them think that you know a little bit about how to present yourself and may not be a rank amateur. Don't be afraid to ask questions if they show any interest in you ... it's OK to be interested in what they expect from you.

Good luck!!

thank you so much for the tips!!

I can't tell you what IMG is looking for ... because that can change from week to week, depending on the market in your part of the world and who they already have on their board.

But what they always want to see is YOU .... without much makeup and hair all done up, and without being cluttered up with accessories. They need to see the raw material that will be working with, to determine whether or not you possess the natural attributes that they need. So, go with no makeup ... or at least minimal makeup like a tinted skin cream ... they will want to see your skin. Pull your hair back off your face so they can see your bone structure. Wear simple, body conscious clothes ... so they can see your shape. Not sexy ... just close to the body. Bring or wear heels in case they want you to walk for them.

What you do and say can make a slight difference ... if they like the "raw material" that they see. They will like a girl who is positive and self assured without having an attitude . If they decide to rep you, you will have to follow their guidance to prepare yourself to be marketed (yes, you are just a commodity) .... so let them know that you are open to suggestions and criticism. If you come in looking right .... like a pro model on a casting call (see my suggestions, above), it will make them think that you know a little bit about how to present yourself and may not be a rank amateur. Don't be afraid to ask questions if they show any interest in you ... it's OK to be interested in what they expect from you.

Good luck!!

thanks for your advice! just thought I would update you with how my meeting went in case there are any girls here interested in IMG. The meeting lasted only 3 minutes long (as to be expected). Jenni Rose was there and pretty much just asked for your name, age, year in school and height. She was impressed with my height, but the way you know Jenni Rose is interested in you is that she will video you for her records. Sooo I didnt get videoed which I was guttered about! The only girls she seemed to be interested in were the girls who were 13!

Yep ... generally, the youger the better, with most agencies.

There are a couple or reasons for that:

The first is that youth sells, and it's much easier to make a young girl look older (while still maintaining that young bright eyed and dewey look) than it is to make an older girl look like a pre-pubescent gamine.

The second ... is that the younger they are the more time the agent will have to develop them and the more time that they will be able to work (since careers don't last more than just a few years). It's about maximizing their potential profit.

Thanks for sharing ... what you experienced is very typical of what any aspiring model can expect.

Male Foreign Modeling in Asia

Hi Guys
Just came here to ask to you dudes if i got chances to work on Asian market? :D

My name it's Hadrien, 17, Brazil i'm 5' 10" or closer to 5' 10.1" ***Edited*** Per our Community Rules which state that members may not talk about weight, size or diets.
I'm half Portuguese, German, Dutch, Spanish, and Brazilian-Black.

I'm looking for something to work and travel

So i've heard/read about Caucasian (or Latin like me) modeling in Asia, i know i'm not tall anyway, my face its not the gorgeous one so i don't have a lot of chances to modeling in Brazil.

So i though Asia could be a chance, 'cuz the minimum height it's more short compared to Brazil and my face it's not pretty! but i'm Different in asia's land, my appearance it's not very European, i'm black hair, dark eyes, and clear skin, my lips are big from my black origins, and my jaw it's more large like German.
*** Edited *** ... please see thread rules ... which state the this thread is not for aspiring models to ask about their suitability and nor to provide pictures of themselves ... and the Community Rules which state that members may not link to nor direct traffic to their blogs.

When I mean Asia, countries like (Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, China)

I'm more interested in Japan market, 'cuz i started to learn a little Japanese and it's more known here in Brazil, i've saw a lot people from here (Brazil) goin' to there, people from all types, japaneses decedents, Indians, blacks, whites, short, tall.
Maybe I’m not fine to a runaway model, but there are others kinds, like commercial model…
I know some Japans foreign agencies like Avocado

i would like to know about you guys do i have any chances? I'll be fine if I don't! :D

Hi! well, I'll try to help you in the nicest and shortest way. I tried to sum it all up in two points:

1) You're too short to be a fashion male model (I'd say 180cm is a very rare exception some agencies make when they find someone who consider special, but it usually takes more inches for any boy to be easily successful as a fashion model)… and you're barely close to exception borderline, and even if you were 180, I'd wouldn't say you could feel lucky at all... 'cause, like I said before, that's very difficult to happen, and personally I don't even see any model factor on you… and that takes me to my second point:

2) Your look it's not on the commercial side of modeling, not on the high fashion either. There are some models that somehow share both of these characteristics I'm going to mention, so they can work for both markets, but if we have to divide it, it would put it this way:
Commercial boys: Stereotypical sexy guys, usually hunks with perfect bone structures, bodies and proportions, and beauty closer to pedestrian aesthetics that will make it easier to relate to for costumers.
High fashion boys: Boys who are not that hunky, in fact they are usually not athletic at all… but their faces reflect a type of beauty that can go from a look closer to the commercial aesthetics, or maybe something more quirky, since high fashion allows itself to play with unusual representations of beauty.

… but I'd say, the thing most successful models have in common, is their "model factor" (as Tyra and cheesy as it sounds, I know, but I can't find a better term :lol:). That…"something" that sets them apart from "regular people" like you, and me, and many other members from here. For short models it gets even more difficult, since they not only need to stand out from regular people, they also need to stand out from other models that could be as gorgeous as them, but way taller… so successful shorties really need to have that Je ne sais quoi about them… that extra aura, an indefinable quality which makes a model the most captivating from a full room of competition. That factor could be related in rare cases to personality, but the special physique is a must. Proportions is another subject. A perfectly (or close to perfect) proportioned face and body surely helps a lot, and you don't have them, and that's very important for the industry 'cause good proportions gives you good angles, and the more good angles you have, the more photogenic you are, the more chances you get. Sometimes, in high fashion, they allowed themselves to hire not so "proportioned faces" all the time, but again, at least their bone structures are interesting enough to call the clients attention. You say that your face is not pretty, but I wouldn't be so harsh on myself if I were you… maybe you're just not born for modeling :smile:

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Welcome to the Fashion Spot! :flower:

As a brand new member you probably have not learned the rules here, as outlined in the Community Rules (link at bottom of every page) nor realized that this thread had rules (indicated by the title, which says "read post #1").

So I had to remove the parts of your post that are not allowed, but left an explanation. Normally we would just remove your post ... but since you are new, we will leave it and legola's response up for you to see what he had to say.

He's right about height ... it's very important. Even in Asia. And your face/bone structure is just as important, no matter what kind of modeling you might do. So, if you are under the standard height requirement, it becomes much more important to have an exceptional face. There are literally thousands and thousands of guys who do meet the height requirements and have the right looks too who want to be models ... so you can understand why it is so difficult to compete if you don't have it all.

WE are not experts here. Only the agencies there can advise you if you are suited to their market. Each agency may be looking for something different than the other, so send your pics to as many as possible. You will quickly find out if there is any interest in you. Of course ... if there is ... you will have to fly there to go see them at your own expense.

Thanks for answering me :D
Well i though too i was too short but searching in agencies website i could see models more shorter then me, i can see guys less angular than me and more simple look.

I'll try to take some pics and send to a lot of agencies to wait for what they say!

No I'm not considering web modelling. It doesn't sound like real modelling.

It isn't.

It's pretty much online prostitution: you're paid to perform sexual activities or to engage in fetish play / role play with clients.

However, some good knowledge of modelling is most certainly an asset to webcam work and will strengthen your success: knowing your good angles, having strong understanding of light, etc, but a wannabe fashion model going into webcamming would most certainly be let down if she's thinking it is in ANY way similar!

I've thought about hand modelling, but it sounds really stupid. But it looks easy. I'm too short and imperfect to be a fashion model, but I always get compliments on my hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->