So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Modeling "abilitiy" is not a factor that they consider when you are trying to get repped by an agency .... if that is what you want to know. It's always about how you look, first and most importantly.

"Great Models" have "THE look" ... it's pretty simple. Not so great ones .... just work but never become famous or rich.

My point is ... that if you don't have the look (the current look that they like, as fashionkitten says) ... it doesn't matter how good you can pose or walk ... the modeling skills won't help you get signed. That's why modeling "schools" are basically a rip off.

But .... if you do get repped, then you will be expected to dig in and learn everything you can ... they will want you to practice, practice, practice (test shoots) and to get feedback from your agent, and to use that feedback to get better. And attitued is very important ... when you get this feedback and also when ou go on casting calls, and when you work for clients. You will be expected to keep smiling no matter what and to do exactly as you are told. This is called "developement" ... a normal stepping stone for newly represented models (new faces/in development). Your agent will coach and guide you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told a thousand and one times "You should be a model" or "Wow you really should model!" by random people on the street/friends/family etc. much to my awkward distress. But I feel like there is a point where people look past your physical features and only at height/body-type and think "model". I'm 6'1, ***Edited*** , but I never ever thought that I could be a model, I'm not the most secure person on earth but one time, my friend (a girl) and I decided on a whim to send photos of ourselves to a few different NYC agencies. I received a few rejections and a few no-responses. I didn't have my hopes up or anything. And I realized that people in the fashion industry will have completely different views of you than people who see you in the street will. Those people will want to see how you translate in printwork/catwalk, while people on the street just see a tall figure. I think that is something that people who wish to become models have to realize, because one or two people on the street tell you, you are gorgeous, does not mean you should rush out immediately and try to become a model, it takes so much more than (externally and internally). I hate to sound like a pessimist right now but I feel like I speak the truth (somewhat). It is completely different to be approached by a random grandma in Walmart than by a model scout from a reputable agency.

Question: what are the odds you call an agency and tell them your height/stats/hair color, and they sound interested, knowing that they receive floods of emails/photos from aspiring models everyday? is it more efficient or will they not even consider that?

You are soooo right about what the agencies are looking for, as opposed to what grandma on the street likes to see. Agencies are looking for something specific and that depends on their market, their clients and who they already have as models.

Regarding your question: They need to see you or your pics ... telling them your stats doesn't tell them anything that they care about this early on. Stats are pretty standard ... so almost every person who is interested in being a model will be pretty close to that standard. After that, it's all about how you look in photos and then in person. So if you call ... they will just tell you to send pics ... which doesn't mean they are "interested" or that you have a fighting chance.

The most "efficient" way is to drop in at their open calls (usually one day a week for a couple of hours ... they will look at anyone who walks in) .. because you will get immediate feedback ... yes or no. If it's no (and it usually is, so you have to have to be able to hear that, but if you are going to be a model, this is something you will hear an a regular basis, so you must get used to it) ... you might get some advice regarding toning up, seeing another agency who likes your type, or any other little tidbits. That won't happen often, but it could be helpful in determining if you might still have a chance anywhere in this biz.

Then, because an agency's needs change as they loose models and get new clients, it's good to repeat it every 3 to 6 months ... just in case they now need someone of your "type".

Yes ... go to their open calls or resubmit photos if you can't walk I ... until they tell you to stop. :wink:

Yes ... go to their open calls or resubmit photos if you can't walk I ... until they tell you to stop. :wink:

I know there are online applications too that you fill out some details and send photos but when they reply it is either come and see us or sorry you are not the right look. I know you can keep reapplying to them, the agencies I know can say keep trying also. I just didn't think that after a rejection you could keep trying. Good idea to do it after 3-6 months rather than do it every week or two for example. Giving it some time, do you think the looks they are searching for change every 3-6 months roughly?

What they are looking for can change daily or it might not ever change if you do not have the look that they like. However if you pound them with pictures or show up every week you will just irritate them and you don't want to do that or they will never talk to you. But you don't want to give up right away because sometimes things do change .... unless everyone is telling you that you are just not suited to modeling at all. So .... every 3 to 6 months keeps you in the loop, but it doesn't come across as annoying.

So.. let's say you have great bone structure, a unique face, and various agencies have expressed interest in you.. but you're body isn't 110% runway ready (1-2 inches off from high fashion standard). Will an agency turn you down if you're not in tip-top shape at that point? Or will they be able to see your potential and help you lose the inches/let that be a part of your development?

Also, how common is it to agencies to invest their time in their model's body/diets? My friend who was with Ford talked of them asking her to go to these fitness classes. Does the agency pay for that or is that coming out of the model's bank account?

So.. let's say you have great bone structure, a unique face, and various agencies have expressed interest in you.. but you're body isn't 110% runway ready (1-2 inches off from high fashion standard). Will an agency turn you down if you're not in tip-top shape at that point? Or will they be able to see your potential and help you lose the inches/let that be a part of your development?

Also, how common is it to agencies to invest their time in their model's body/diets? My friend who was with Ford talked of them asking her to go to these fitness classes. Does the agency pay for that or is that coming out of the model's bank account?

I would advise getting your body to runway standards before having a go. Unless you have an out of this world amazing look, agencies would rather sign someone who is runway ready rather than waste time waiting for a girl to get there.

Let's be very careful here ... we have a rule that we may not discuss weight or size anywhere in tFS.

However I will say this and then we can move on:

If (and that is a big "if") they like you but your body is not the right shape they might tell you to get in shape and come back so they can see you again. Not very likely they would take you before you do that. So dsamg's advice is right on the money.

And no ... they don't pay for anything that the model must do to prepare herself to work. The model is actually "self employed" and works for herself so she must bear all the costs of doing business. The agency gets paid from commissions from the model's work ... when they actually find her work.

Once in an extremely rare while, the agency might "advance" monies for something, like housing or travel, but the model must pay them back ... we have a thread about all of that: The Truth about Modeling Expenses ... Who Really Pays?

If modelling is low paid, what are other model related jobs to do on the side?

There's always web modeling/p*rn ... which many model wannabes fall into ... so be very careful about anything you do in front of a camera if you ever want to be a legit model. Pictures can come back to haunt you. But the pay can be pretty good .... depending on how mush you show and do. :smile:

There are also legit companies who provide "models" (all they want is a pretty face, so you don't even have to be tall, but you should be sexy) for demonstrating and handing out products at conventions and shows ... like perfume, beer, and other goodies. It's minimum hourly pay, and you have to dress they way they tell you ... usually a bit sexy. It's called promotional modeling.

There are also legit companies who provide "models" (all they want is a pretty face, so you don't even have to be tall, but you should be sexy) for demonstrating and handing out products at conventions and shows ... like perfume, beer, and other goodies. It's minimum hourly pay, and you have to dress they way they tell you ... usually a bit sexy. It's called promotional modeling.

What specific companies offer this type of vacancy or were can you search for job vacancies of this sort?

I don't know .... I would suggest you just Google for promotional modeling.

I hope you are not considering web modeling ... that's not only a bad career move, it's extremely dangerous!

No I'm not considering web modelling. It doesn't sound like real modelling.

I think dropshipping is a good idea. I know some companies allow you to partner with them. You get to model the garments and promote the products and you get a commission. This is available in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a question related to the industry, which I haven't found the thread for, so I thought I'd post it here..

How long does it typically take for a model to stop going to castings and become a direct-booking thing? Does it depend on how long she's been in the industry for or is it when she gets to do a first compaign or something? Please, give examples, if you know.

I think it is most likely down to exposure and establishment of the model so might not depend on time but rather depend on development of the model's work.

Some times I think it can develop pretty fast especially if the model already has contacts and portfolio images. Other times might take a bit of time.

I think that if the model is being featured in magazines and gaining the exposure then she's out there, most likely if the model is being featured on an agency's website will also help because clients may use the online service to book a model, also models tend to go on websites when they have strong portfolios, or a decent amount of portfolio images. I'm assuming that most models featured on the website are part of direct booking services as well, as I know some models are signed with agencies but not featured on the website. I think it all depends on establishment and strong portfolio work from test shoots and editorials and possibly good exposure.

I hope some one else offers a more accurate answer if I am wrong! Interesting question.

She's pretty much right. There is no set time. And it partially depends on development, but it largely depends on what the clients think about her. But if she's going to be big, it usually happens fast .... first year, probably. The agency will control the speed a bit ... making sure she's ready .... but even for them, the faster, the better. They don't make any money until she's up and in demand.

Models are commodities ... just like food on a grocer's shelf. The storekeeper (the agency) does what it can to advertise the merchandise to all their potential customers ... and then everyone hopes for the best. If no one buys ... they don't stock it anymore. If many customers buy it and like it, they will remember and come back to buy it again, repeatedly. Then other customers learn about the product and come in to try it too. At that point, the grocer no longer needs to put out ads and signs ... the customers already want it and know where to get it.

If i have gone to an open call with an agency and they took test photos of me and told me they wanted to represent me and then i went back a few weeks later and took some more pictures but they never called me back after that. Should i try at other agencies or is that a stupid idea?

Keep trying. Especially if you got a nibble, like this one. Hit every agency in your area ... and do it again in a few months, if you don't hear anything, then again.

Most of the time it's a matter of timing. They may love your look, but if they already have a model or two with a similar look, they may not need you now ... but might, in the future. You never know when they might get a new client who needs a model like you or loose one of their ones that you could replace. If you are getting a positive response from legit agencies .... but they don't sign you ... go back every few months, to see if anything has changed.

That's how modeling works ... even after you get an agency. You go on a ton of casting calls and go sees ... before you get anyone to hire you for a single gig. Expect more "no"s than "yes"s ... but keep going until you are 100% sure no one is interested at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->