Target's "Go International" with Luella Bartley

Thank you! I was just wondering why someone posted it then...too bad b/c that label is awesome. By the way, I absolutely love your blog! I read it at work everyday....shhhhh.

I don't think that people keep asking when the line is debuting...they keep calling their Targets to make sure the line will be in their local store and the people tell them different days when the line will be out on the floor. Someone was told the 29th, and the woman at my Target told me it was there already (clearly wrong info)...but I don't think anyone is in the dark about Feb 1st on the Target website.

this is a looong post i like to write

i just wanted to let everyone know that at my target they already have luella stuff up. it's not all of it, just some. i have no clue why it's out a week before *shrugs*

they had short miniskirts that had pleats in the front in white and green, and longer skirts in khaki, they are cute, decent material. i think you can see them in the teen vogue spread. they were $25 i believe

they had really cute puffed sleeved tees with a zipper "pocket". the zipper had a heart shaped pull tab with luella on one side and the target bullseye on the otther. it came in white and peach, about $13 i think. they were really cute and surprisingly form fitting [usu. clothes are target are cut so boxy] but the tee material is kinda cheap and rough so i didnt buy it. i wish it was soft! they also had a cami in the same material with 4 buttons up the front, the buttons are really cute.

i also saw a beige short sleeved blouse with a collar and ruffles in the front, blue and white short sleeved shirts that had epaulets on the sleeve. they also had some shirts that i didnt pay attention to, in multicolored print. i forgot what the prints were but i remember thinking they were kitschy

i saw 3 different types of jeans [in junior's sizes]. one light wash with distressing/holes, one dark wash and had star cutout design on the side. i cant remember much about them bc i didnt really look at them. they all have the luella tag with the horse and heart stiching the back [reallly cute]. also white and i think it was pastel green denim jeans.

i saw that loud red blazer someone posted up above and also a navy with white contrast stiching blazer with very slightly puffy sleeves, cherry print lining inside and a belt thingie that goes on the sides. sorry i cant describe it correctly! i really liked that blazer, itd be cute to wear in the spring. the luella buttons on it are what makes it cute. it also came in white.

the leather jackets were $150, distressed looking

and that plaid poofy dress was also available...this girl picked it up and asked me if i would honestly wear that bc it looked so 80's. i thought it was cute though! :(

overall, the stuff really is cute but i just wish some of the stuff had nicer material. i cant wait to see the other stuff too like the black and white striped skirt but i'm not anticipating anything sooo amazing that i have to have it. i dont think the accessories are up yet but i hope i see them soon cuz i love cherry print :smile:

if anyone else sees the stuff b4 the release date of feb 1st, please share bc im curious

julie83 said:
this is a looong post i like to write

i just wanted to let everyone know that at my target they already have luella stuff up. it's not all of it, just some. i have no clue why it's out a week before *shrugs*

they had short miniskirts that had pleats in the front in white and green, and longer skirts in khaki, they are cute, decent material. i think you can see them in the teen vogue spread. they were $25 i believe

they had really cute puffed sleeved tees with a zipper "pocket". the zipper had a heart shaped pull tab with luella on one side and the target bullseye on the otther. it came in white and peach, about $13 i think. they were really cute and surprisingly form fitting [usu. clothes are target are cut so boxy] but the tee material is kinda cheap and rough so i didnt buy it. i wish it was soft! they also had a cami in the same material with 4 buttons up the front, the buttons are really cute.

i also saw a beige short sleeved blouse with a collar and ruffles in the front, blue and white short sleeved shirts that had epaulets on the sleeve. they also had some shirts that i didnt pay attention to, in multicolored print. i forgot what the prints were but i remember thinking they were kitschy

i saw 3 different types of jeans [in junior's sizes]. one light wash with distressing/holes, one dark wash and had star cutout design on the side. i cant remember much about them bc i didnt really look at them. they all have the luella tag with the horse and heart stiching the back [reallly cute]. also white and i think it was pastel green denim jeans.

i saw that loud red blazer someone posted up above and also a navy with white contrast stiching blazer with very slightly puffy sleeves, cherry print lining inside and a belt thingie that goes on the sides. sorry i cant describe it correctly! i really liked that blazer, itd be cute to wear in the spring. the luella buttons on it are what makes it cute. it also came in white.

the leather jackets were $150, distressed looking

and that plaid poofy dress was also available...this girl picked it up and asked me if i would honestly wear that bc it looked so 80's. i thought it was cute though! :(

overall, the stuff really is cute but i just wish some of the stuff had nicer material. i cant wait to see the other stuff too like the black and white striped skirt but i'm not anticipating anything sooo amazing that i have to have it. i dont think the accessories are up yet but i hope i see them soon cuz i love cherry print :smile:

if anyone else sees the stuff b4 the release date of feb 1st, please share bc im curious
Hmmmm....where do you live?

Luella Bartley at Target
Kara G. Morrison / The Detroit News
January 26, 2006
T he British are coming!
OK, make that one Brit.
Target stores -- sticking with their slick trick of working with fashion designers on exclusive merchandise -- will start stocking clothing and accessories by Luella Bartley on Wednesday.
The former fashion writer for British Vogue has a style called "ironic punk-preppy." She's designed pleated schoolgirl skirts, leather biker jackets, printed button-down shirts and fun accessories that range from $9.99 to $149.99.
Two cute items are a cherry-print clutch purse for $16.99 and a cherry iPod holder for $12.99. Bartley won't be a Target fixture, however. Her merchandise will only stay in stores for 90 days. Other collaborations will be announced this year as part of Target's Go International program of collaborating with internationally known designers on women's fashions.

here's a pic from the story

Attachments

• luella mp3 holder.jpg
    luella mp3 holder.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
Target's fashion foray may hurt clothing stores
Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:02 PM ET

By Emily Kaiser-Analysis
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Target Corp.'s <TGT.N> latest fashion foray, with clothes from trendy British designer Luella Bartley, could spell trouble for apparel retailers, who are already facing a lack of must-have spring styles.
The collection from fashion writer-turned-designer Bartley debuts in Target stores on Wednesday, and the discount retailer says it will be gone by April 30. It is the first in a series of exclusive, limited-engagement clothing lines that Target calls "international flights of fashion".
The idea is to get them in -- and out -- of stores fast to create a sense of urgency for shoppers who are savvy to the fact that "Hurry! Sale ends Saturday!" often means "New Sale Starts Monday!", and routinely hold out for bigger bargains.
Target has already built a reputation for trendy-but-cheap clothing and home decor through deals with designers such as Isaac Mizrahi and Michael Graves. The international flights campaign takes that a step further by adding global designers who aren't well known outside wealthy fashionista circles, and making their styles affordable for the mass market.
The strategy piles more pressure on traditional apparel retailers who have enough trouble convincing shoppers to pay full price. Analysts say chain stores haven't done themselves any favors this season with spring clothing that look much the same as last year's array of tank tops and cargo shorts.
A Merrill Lynch research note summed it up in a three-word headline: "Fashion lacks excitement."
"Overall themes are not very new and give the customer little reason to shop this early in the season," Merrill analyst Mark Friedman wrote. "Warmer weather in certain regions is helping but generally this is not a good sign for spring."
FAST AND FURIOUS
Target's new advertising campaign for the Luella Bartley line hammers home the point that the styles will be available for only three months. Analysts say that is an important and persuasive message to consumers that they really will miss out on something special if they don't act fast.
The move comes as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. <WMT.N> is adding more upscale clothing to its stores, but analysts said the retailing giant has yet to dent Target's fashion niche.
European retailers such as Sweden's Hennes & Mauritz AB <HMb.ST> have been at the forefront of so-called "fast fashion", stocking trendy clothes hot off the runway and replacing them frequently with new styles.
Fast-fashion retailers have trained their customers to buy now instead of waiting for clothes to go on sale, which not only boosts profits but also gets customers into stores more often to check out what's new.
Traditional chains including Gap Inc. <GPS.N> are trying to shorten the time it takes to get new styles from sketchpads to shelves, but they still lag well behind speedsters like H&M.
Taking on Target is a tough proposition because some 54 percent of consumers who shop at mall-based stores also go to mass merchants like Target and can easily comparison-shop, said Marshal Cohen, chief analyst at consultants NPD Group.
"The consumer has already embraced Target as a fashion resource," Cohen said. "Target's growth now is getting that higher-fashion consumer, the one who wants to be the first on the block with a trend."
That's where hip Luella Bartley comes in. Her handbags sell for up to $2,000 at luxury stores like Neiman Marcus, but her clothing is much better known in London than in the United States. Target has not yet posted prices for its collection.
Wendy Liebmann, founder and president of WSL Strategic Retail, said Luella may not be a household name here, but Target has built a reputation as an anointer of what is fashionable, and can transform a lesser known designer into a celebrity simply by choosing to carry her products.
"It just enhances the buzz, the fact that she's not very well known," Liebmann said.
The peril in promising a limited engagement is what to do if products don't sell out by the deadline. Target's Web site this week had dozens of styles from Italian fashion house Fiorucci marked half off. That trendy brand was also supposed to be available at Target for only a limited time.
But NPD's Cohen said that is simply a part of fashion, and there will always be more misses than hits. The key is to get mistakes out of sight quickly -- by selling them online instead of in stores, for example -- and find something new.
And whether Target succeeds or fails with this fashion flight, "it sends a message to the Street and to the competitors that we're in the game," Cohen said.

I only saw a small peice of the commercial last night so I rushed to Target this morning to be sadly dissapointed. I cant wait till Wed, I hope the merch is cute in person!

How many of you are going to be at the store on Wednesday morning? I hope that people around here, who don't know the first thing about labels, won't be doing the same. I really, really hope not b/c I won't be able to go until the evening!:(

lucy92 said:
well, target is sending the fashion editors to a new jersey store (jersey city) to allow them to buy the clothes.

so maybe the collection wont be available at all stores (why wouldnt they bus them to a closer store?)

Midtown to Jersey City isn't that far. :unsure:

julie83 said:
i was at the target here in sugar land/sw houston :smile:

Ohh wow, I wonder if they have it at the Target on SanFelipe(by the Galleria). I might just call and ask.. Thanks.:flower:

Scans of the ADs from the New USWeekly

http://imageshack.us

scans are from
ljuser: marcjacobsluvr
hot_fashion community on lj

Last edited by a moderator:
shiiiiiiiiiiiiut. im buying that brown dress ASAP when it comes out!!!! :buzz: :shock:

Omg the bomber jacket and that blouse are fabulous :heart: :heart: :heart:
Thanks for the scans!:flower:

prettyjuice said:
shiiiiiiiiiiiiut. im buying that brown dress ASAP when it comes out!!!! :buzz: :shock:

i have the new usweekly that those ads are in and the dress is BLACK it just looks brown in the scans...

i love the dress :heart: i think i may get it for my school dance.

FashionRoyalty said:
i have the new usweekly that those ads are in and the dress is BLACK it just looks brown in the scans...

i love the dress :heart: i think i may get it for my school dance.

Yeah you and 50 other girls....that's one thing that sucks about this, EVERYONE will have this stuff. I see girls wearing Target sh*t everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annhedonia Beretta
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->