The 100 Movie Challenge (2012)

I think that The Virgin Suicides was a movie to watch when it came out, I don´t think it´s that great 13 years later. Late 90s´ movies were about American Pie and the sort so this melancholy movie that portrayed teens in that way was sorta of a breakthrough. Plus a lot of the hype was about Sofia being Francis´daughter.

01. Letters to Juliet
02. Scary Movie 2
03. The Heartbreak Kid
04. Yes Man
05. Meet the Fockers
06. The Woman in Black
07. A Few Good Men
08. Meet the Parents
09. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
10. My Cousin Vinny
11. E.T.
12. Memoirs of a Geisha
13. Good Will Hunting
14. It's Complicated
15. The Big Lebowski
16. The Lion King
17. The Bodyguard (It's a classic! Love this movie.)
18. Hellboy 2
19. Pan's Labyrinth
20. Die Hard 3
21. Star Trek (JJ Abrams version)
22. Red
23. Avatar
24. Little Shop of Horrors...it was my first time seeing it and it was hilarious! I think it's a new a favorite.
25. Midnight Cowboy...it was kind of depressing.
26. Their Eyes Were Watching God
27. X-Men: First Class
28. The Red Violin

29. Knowing

I think that The Virgin Suicides was a movie to watch when it came out, I don´t think it´s that great 13 years later. Late 90s´ movies were about American Pie and the sort so this melancholy movie that portrayed teens in that way was sorta of a breakthrough. Plus a lot of the hype was about Sofia being Francis´daughter.

Yeah, I remember really "identifying" :rolleyes: :lol: with it when it came out, I was like 12 or 13. I actually really liked the book though, I went back to read it not so long ago. The book is less ethereal and mysterious than the movie. Although I think there are many great things about the movie such as the cinematography, soundtrack, and costumes/set design, those things are usually the highlights of Sofia's movies though. I'd like to see her direct a movie that just dug a little deeper than usual.

Anyway, I haven't posted in over a week:

45. The Seven Samurai (1954)
46. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
47. The Game (1997)
48. King of New York (1990)
49. The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)
50. I Saw the Devil (2010)
51. Moneyball (2011)
52. Thank You for Smoking (2005)
53. Salt (2010)
54. Taken (2008)
55. Never Let Me Go (2010)
56. Sexy Beast (2000)

I wasn't impressed with Moneyball at all, but I don't know, if I knew anything about baseball I might have liked it and I was equally unimpressed with Brad Pitt's performance. I do not get the nominations at all. Anybody in the Best Actor category must win over him, but I'm not too worried. :lol:

bezimienna how did you feel about the virgin suicides? i was pretty disappointed in it, but i found myself still thinking about it days later. i wish it had given more insight into the girl's minds. kirsten dunst was lovely though.

I couldn't agree more, although i have to add it's one my favourites movies because of the music and images and how it was developped, The virgin suicides was pure art for me... but it's tue, at the end i was like... i would've like more insight to the girl's mind as you pointed.
I might be wrong, but it seems that sofia doesn't like to reveal a woman's mind and what's inside of it, there's some sort of play with femeninity and mistery of what's really going on, same happened in Marie Antoinette... more than what's in the surface, never insight on how she really felt about all.

finally have some time to add movies I had watched this year before I entered the challenge ^_^

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo |USA (2011)
2. Big Love (Big Love) |Poland (2012)
3. La Princesse de Montpensier (The Princess of Montpensier)|France (2010)
4. Róża (Róża: Rose) |Poland (2012)
5. Somewhere |USA (2010)
6. The Bodyguard |USA (1992)
7. Troy |USA (2004)
8. Testosteron (Testosterone) |Poland (2007)
9. The Virgin Suicides |USA (1999)
10. Tre Metri sopra il Cielo (Three Meters above the Sky) |Italy (2004)
11. Wszystko, co kocham (All That I Love) |Poland (2010)
12. Sala Samobójców (The Suicide Room) |Poland (2011)
13. W ciemności (In Darkness) |Poland (2011) - hope it'll get Oscar this year, great one.

Last edited by a moderator:
JANUARY

1. The Staircase (2004)
2. Murder on a Sunday Morning (2001)
3. Twelve (2010)
4. Margin Call (2011)
5. BASEketball (1998)
6. The American (2010)
7. Project Nim (2011)
8. Buried (2010)
9. Seeking Justice (2011)
10. The Descendants (2011) x2
11. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
12. Up in the Air (2009)

FEBRUARY

13. Bridesmaids (2011)
14. Tower Heist (2011)
15. The Roommate (2011)
16. The Artist (2011)
17. Secretary (2002)
18. Drive (2011)

I finished The Artist. The last half is better than the first. But still, it's no masterpiece and doesn't deserve the title of Best Picture. It's more style than substance. I do think the dog should be nominated though - he was brilliant :heart::lol:

I never got why everyone was obsessed with Maggie Gyllenhaal back in the day - but now I do: Secretary! How ridiculously cute was she in this film? She reminded me of (an awkward) Karlie Kloss. I see Maggie in a whole different light now. I enjoyed the film but at the same time it wasn't amazing, so no bold.

Plowed through some stuff I've been meaning to see for a while ...

26. High School (Frederick Wiseman, 1968) - One of the documentarian's best, a very cool time capsule
27. Fantastic Planet (René Laloux, 1973) - Otherworldly animation
28. Bend of the River (Anthony Mann, 1952) - Jimmy Stewart western with stunning location shots of Mt. Hood and the Columbia River
29. To Live and Die in L.A. (William Friedkin, 1985) - Fun 80s cop movie
30. Hannah and Her Sisters (Woody Allen, 1986) - Top shelf Woody
31. Island of Lost Souls (Erle C. Kenton, 1932) - Delightfully depraved Dr. Moreau adaptation
32. Red Psalm (Miklós Jancsó, 1972) - Lyrical commie mood piece
33. Fear and Desire (Stanley Kubrick, 1953) - The legendary director was still mortal when he made his first feature (so he later disparaged it)
34. The Razor's Edge (Edmund Goulding, 1946) - Best Picture nominee with a great cast - and precursor to the superb Nightmare Alley - but this hefty 2.5 hour drama needed a trip through the shears
35. Daisies (Vera Chytilová, 1966) - A forum favorite?

28-Beneath The Darkness (US 2011). It was nice to see Quaid in a darker role but the movie is bad, I ended up fast forwarding a lot of scenes...
29-War Horse (US 2011). At times it was too overdramatic but that´s Spielberg´s style, isn´t it? I liked it, it´s a good movie with lots of production value.
30-Midnight In Paris (Spain/US 2011). I think Allen is way overrated but I liked this movie very much, Wilson was playing Wilson which I didn´t like that much but still, great movie.
31-Beginners (US 2010). It´s not a bad movie but I couldn´t quite connect to any character...
32-Hugo (US 2011). Gorgeous movie. I didn´t expect it to be about George Melies so that was a nice surprise. Loved the sepia tint and the steampunk vibe. Definitely Best Picture material. Anyone spotted Dali? in which scene?
33-The Tree of Life (US 2011). Beautiful and haunting movie but maybe too experimental, it felt like two different movies. Hunter McCracken was great.

I'm in! This year I've seen:

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo | The best movie released in the last years in my opinion, I admit I wasn't a big fan of Rooney before, but she really nailed it, plus the soundtrack is great as well, Trent did a great job [even including Enya :rofl:]
2. Into the Wild | I had always heard tons about it, so I finally decided to see it. I certainly don't regret it, it's one of the best movies I've seen the last years, really worth-wacthing it.
3. Trainspotting | Same with above, I mean how could I not love Ewan :heart:
4. Scarface | Finally decided to watch it, it's a bit long, but I'd recommend it.
5. Un Cuento Chino | Beautiful Argentinian movie, Ricardo is great again!
6. Donnie Darko | Probably my favorite movie with Jake Gyllenhaal.
7. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows | Quite amusing!
8. Annie Hall | Loved it!
9. Control | It's a good one for Joy Division fans, I think it might not interest those who don't like the band, it's nice to know where all his dark, depressive inspiration to his lyrics come from.
10. A Clockwork Orange | Re-watched it since it had been a long time since I last saw it, I think it's not necessary to talk about it.
11. Vicky Cristina Barcelona
| Saw it twice this year, Penélope Cruz is amazing in it, probably my favorite 'light' movie of the year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

12. The Shawshank Redemption (as mentioned before)
13. Sleeper | Totally crazy but quite original and funny, it's interesting how people back in 1973 imagined the future...Not my favorite Woody Allen movie though.
14. The Virgin Suicides | Nice, but it didn't amaze me...I liked it a lot though, the movie is somehow very sunny and bright, despite its sad and melancholic story. I wish it could have gone deeper into the girls' life, but I guess that's how Sophia Coppola's movie works?

Going slowly but I'm going to see The Descendant this week and I'm having a movie session with a friend, so I hope to see some other good films. ^_^

1. Bee Movie (2007)
2. Clash of the Titans (2010)
3. I'm Still Here (2010)
4. Frost/Nixon (2008)
5. Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008)
6. Mary and Max (2009)
7. 50 First Dates (2004)
8. Revolutionary Road (2008)
9. And Now for Something Completly Different (1971)
10. The Bride Wore Black - La Mariée Était En Noir (1968)
11. Pigsty - Porcile (1969)
12. Rope (1948)
13. Repulsion (1965)
14. Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
15. The Page Turner -
La tourneuse de pages (2006)
16. Requiem for a Dream (2000)

17. Secrets & Lies (1996)
18. Life of Brian (1979)

19. Night on earth (1991)
20. 2 days in Paris (2007)
21. The Mummy (1932)
22. La Strada (1954)
23. Intermission (2003)
24. Fight Club (1999)

25. Whatever Works (2009)
26. Trainspotting (1996)
27. Blue Velvet (1986)
28. Miss Pettigrew lives for a day (2008)
29. Frozen (2010)
30. Daybreakers (2009)
31. Stripes (1981)
32. Monty Phyton and The Holy Grail (1974)

Favourites in bold.

1. No Strings Attached
2. Rise of The Planet of The Apes
3. Tangled
4. The Artist
5. Eat, Pray, Love*
6. Mulan
7. Half Nelson
8. He's Just Not That Into You*
9. Albert Nobbs
10. Big Miracle
11. Miracle
12. Reel Injun (a documentary about how Native Americans are portrayed in film)
13. Anne of Green Gables
14. 50/50

Watched this week...
15. Patch Adams*
16. The Kings Speech*

I really loved The Kings Speech, I had seen it before, but the second time around make's me appreciate the story ever more so. It truly deserved the accolades it got.

Also, I have to say, I feel so slow with this challenge. I haven't even made it to 20 yet! But I think it's mainly because school work get's in the way and I've also been marathoning Doctor Who while trying to complete this challenge. I'm almost finished with the tv show and then it'll be back to watching more movies! Anyone else feel the same way?

*Watched in my film class

Okay - thanks! :smile:

1. Cassandra's Dream
2. Moneyball
3. An Education
4. Drive
5. Real Steel
6. Gone Baby Gone
7. Morning Glory
8. Reality Bites
9. Sixteen Candles
10. Annie Hall
11. Mr. Brooks
12. Pride and Prejudice
13. The Help

14. Sylvia

I never got why everyone was obsessed with Maggie Gyllenhaal back in the day - but now I do: Secretary! How ridiculously cute was she in this film? She reminded me of (an awkward) Karlie Kloss. I see Maggie in a whole different light now.

Yeah, I loved her in that!

13. the descendants... [i went to see this reluctantly and was pleasantly surprised. they pulled off some of the best comedic moments i have seen in a recent movie, and also some of the sweetest, saddest moments. i still don't think it's really Best Picture material but it's not a waste of 2 hours like i thought it would be. the girl who played Clooney's eldest daughter was a star. :heart:]

14. cinema paradiso...[oh this is such a beautiful movie. :heart: if you haven't seen it....please watch it....it will warm you from the inside out.]

i thought i watched a fair amount of films but you guys are putting me to shame...:innocent:

01. Letters to Juliet
02. Scary Movie 2
03. The Heartbreak Kid
04. Yes Man
05. Meet the Fockers
06. The Woman in Black
07. A Few Good Men
08. Meet the Parents
09. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
10. My Cousin Vinny
11. E.T.
12. Memoirs of a Geisha
13. Good Will Hunting
14. It's Complicated
15. The Big Lebowski
16. The Lion King
17. The Bodyguard (It's a classic! Love this movie.)
18. Hellboy 2
19. Pan's Labyrinth
20. Die Hard 3
21. Star Trek (JJ Abrams version)
22. Red
23. Avatar
24. Little Shop of Horrors...it was my first time seeing it and it was hilarious! I think it's a new a favorite.
25. Midnight Cowboy...it was kind of depressing.
26. Their Eyes Were Watching God
27. X-Men: First Class
28. The Red Violin

29. Knowing

30. Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant...terrible movie.
31. Austraila

19. The Door in the Floor (USA, 2004)
20. Poetry (South Korea, 2010)
21. Death of a Cyclist (Spain, 1955)
22. Pina (Germany, 2011)
23. Beginners (USA, 2010)

24. The Pianist (France/Poland, 2002). Hadn't seen this from beginning to end since it premiered back in 2002.. I didn't remember how good Adrien Brody was. :heart:
25. Birdsong (UK, 2012). Good-looking actors that can't act, the occasional flashbacks of the French countryside is what made me endure the 3 hours but I wasn't moved by the story at all.
26. George Harrison: Living in the Material World (USA, 2011). I assume this would be quite an experience for a Beatles fan, which I'm not.. wish the way it's all narrated had been either more general or analytical (like in No Direction Home for example) so that the topic could grab you and make you generate something, if only curiosity or a mental debate.. instead my interest for the band remains intact, and right around zero.

Count me in!

1.Wild Target
2.Cherrybomb
3.December Boys
4.13Hrs
5.Rise of the Planet of the Apes
6.Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
7.Rabbit-Proof Fence
8.Desperado
9.Passion Fish
10.The Quiet American
11.Restoration
12.The Shipping News
13.The Life of David Gale
14.Donnie Brasco
15.Amelie
16.The Station Agent
17.A Bout de Souffle (Breathless)
18.Proof

Films 7 through 18 I've watched on hulu. I started off the year focused on the films starring HP actors (along with rewatch of the HP films as I finish reading the books). However, I decided to go back to hulu again (I've kept my account there but haven't used it in years) and look for films. The time limits hulu imposes on some of their films has kept me too busy to continue watching non-Potter films starring Potter actors. But I think I'll have time soon.

Oh, and spare yourselves David Gale and The Station Agent. They are bad films made watchable only by talented actors and even the actors don't make them worth watching.

I'm kinda late but I'm in, too!
What I've seen so far this year (that I remember:(

01. The King's Speech*
02. Midnight in Paris*
03. The Royal Tenembaums*
04. The Darjeeling Limited*
05. Love and Death*
06. The Ides of March (very good)
07. The Artist (interesting, but unimpressive)
08. Bridesmaids :yuk:

*not for the 1st time (like I do with books, instead of reading many different ones, I keep re-reading the ones I love, and keep re-watching the movies I love :meow:)

Want to see:

09. Play It Again, Sam
10. Hannah and Her sisters (shame, shame, shame on me for not having seen it yet)
11. A Música Segundo Tom Jobim
12. J. Edgar
13. Margin Call
14. Drive
15. Crazy, Stupid, Love (although it doesn't seem like a very good movie :innocent:)
16. Jules et Jim (re-watch)
17. (Kubrick's) Lolita (re-watch after I finish re-reading :lol:)
18. Domicile Conjugal

I know I'm late but count me in! My movie phase has started recently, I'm kind of taking a break now but this thread just fueled it again lol.

Movies I've seen this year:
1. Gaslight
2. The usual suspects
3. Bringing up baby
4. Les Diaboliques
5. Kind hearts & coronets
6. The trouble with Harrry
7. Suddenly, last summer
8. Arsenic & Old lace
9. To have and have not
10. The big sleep
11. Lolita