The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fewormany: I like the idea of an elephant print! Indian or African elephant?:wink:

Trenchcoat: The only one I have seen for sale was a sice 2, which would be too big. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a coat, I need to know I won't drown in it!:D I am not dead set on that coat though. Another nice grey tweed coat would do the job as well:wink:

Scarves: I also get a lot of wear from my lightweight scarves this time of year. Even when it's warm it can get really windy, so I usually always have a scarf with me. This spring I've mostly been wearing the leopard print one I got back in March, or a super lightweight cashmere one with an eyelet fringe in pale pale grey.

Colours: I'm still a little colour obsessed, and have been experimenting a lot to find shades that work well for me. I'm giving grey a second chance, as I've found pale (dove?) grey suits me really well when I have a bit of a tan.
I've also long favoured navy blue, but I've recently found that indigo is much better for me, probably my very best colour. I'd love to find a dress and/or a scarf in indigo, but so far no luck.

Spring/summer wardrobe: Argh, I am so frustrated with it. I had really hoped to make some improvements to my s/s wardrobe this year, but so far it's not looking good. I had a big clean out in May and was left with one dress (blue/green/yellow floral sundress, very garden party appropriate but not so versatile), one skirt (black), a sleeveless olive green shirt/blouse and a short sleeved white shirt as the only items that are summer-y. So far I've been wearing jeans and a white shirt (long or short sleeved depending on the weather) most days this spring, trying to change it up with accessories and shoes, but it's getting to be a bit depressing! I can't seem to find anything I like, so I'm already looking forward to autumn! :P

On the plus side I actually found three bikinis last month that I loved, which I never do, so now I'm all set if it should ever get warm enough to go swimming here.

Last edited by a moderator:

andotherstories.com

I'm searching for ages for the perfect white silk shirt. I think Equipment is way too expensive for me now. I found this one from &otherstores and it looks chic. But I'm not familiar with the store. Can anyone tell me anything about the quality or the store in general?

& other stories is owned by HM. They have a lot of nice stuff, but the items tend to have more synthetics. The brand didn't work for me, because the fit was always wrong. It seemed to be designed for tall people like you, trenchcoat:wink: I preferred the quality at COS, but you can probably find some gems at &OS as well:smile: I think the white shirt might be a bit sheer though. I would look at the seams especially, when assessing the quality. If you are worried it will wrinkle, you can try to scrunch a piece of the fabric in you hand and hold for a few seconds. If it has already wrinkled, it will probably wrinkle easy (after wearing a blazer for an example). If it was a more expensive shirt,thetop button would also have been covered by the strip of material that covers the other buttons, but that might not bother you?

Went on a major gap-filling excercise for daily summer basics: 2 summer cardis in black and gray + 1 chunky gray knit, 3 tees in white and gray, 3 pairs of socks, one pair black ballet flats, and also finally found a lovely off-white cotton eyelet lace top, which works perfectly to "soften" my harsh black items and also goes with every single skirt I have. Just what I needed. None of them are major buys, but these practical items are important to have a smoothly working wardrobe, and so happy to have a few items ticked off my list!

Still hunting for my more "main" items for my professional wardrobe, dressier tops and dresses and shoes. Might have a look in Rome next week. Toodloo!

& other stories is owned by HM. They have a lot of nice stuff, but the items tend to have more synthetics. The brand didn't work for me, because the fit was always wrong. It seemed to be designed for tall people like you, trenchcoat:wink: I preferred the quality at COS, but you can probably find some gems at &OS as well:smile: I think the white shirt might be a bit sheer though. I would look at the seams especially, when assessing the quality. If you are worried it will wrinkle, you can try to scrunch a piece of the fabric in you hand and hold for a few seconds. If it has already wrinkled, it will probably wrinkle easy (after wearing a blazer for an example). If it was a more expensive shirt,thetop button would also have been covered by the strip of material that covers the other buttons, but that might not bother you?
Thanks for the tips.

@Fewormany: if it can be any consolation, I feel much more scandinavian chic than parisian chic these days :wink: I would really love to see those shorts. Funny about the shoes - seems like every danish fashion blogger with respect for themselves has a pair of Stan Smiths these days.

@Caramel:
I feel you in regards of the summerwardrobe. I am mostly wearing jeans and a tee/tanktop too. I am even wearing ancle booties because sandals and flats doesn't really speak to me ATM, despite the weather.

@Trenchcoat:
I bought (and returned within the same hour) an &Other Stories silk shirt last year. The silk quality is very thin and therefore something that I could absolutely see slipping in the seems, like my H&M silk shirt did. I would try mid-ranged brands in the sales, like InWear, if it is available in your area.

@Melisande:
sounds like a good haul :wink: Have a nice trip to Rome - I am so jealous.

I haven't really been very 5 pieces french wardrobe-y this year. My style has changed so much, and despite the fact that I still feel that building your wardrobe slowly is the best way, it feels good to now have a wardrobe that fits my needs and doesn't lack simple basics like black jeans, tanktops etc. That being said, I really hope that I soon will reach a place where I can take it slow for a couple of months. I feel like I need to explore combinations with my current wardrobe to figure out what I will need in the future.

Heres some of the things I've bought, but haven't yet shared with you guys.
Forgive me if some items has already been shown - I've lost track.

- H&M bikini top - so flattering
- Ganni kimono - I am so in love with this!
- Ganni dress. Bought at their sample sale. Not something I would have bought usually and perhaps not something that will stay with me for decades, but I really love the cut and the colour (and I NEVER do colour :wink:), and it is so great with my ASH spiral boots and a leather jacket.
- Ca'shott slipons. Bought with a gift certificate I won. Somewhat different from what I usually wear, but I really like them and have worn them quite a lot already. Mostly with jeans, but they will be great for my leather skirts and stripe sweaters, come fall.

534fb60761c53ffd34b424f54ee6310c.jpg

85f35e5086d816d95a2e247d599a2709.jpg

a588da11c8a0712779c2a3b3e122f66a.jpg

7b388eadda72786ad4c9f32f0b5415e0.jpg

Pics via hm.com, ganni.com, iloveshoes.dk

I am getting really tired of online shopping BTW. I really think it is a hassle ATM, especially regarding that tee that I am returning since it is faulty, and Nellys returns policy is so difficult that I am just considering giving it up, if it hadn't become a matter of principle now. I will definetly try to be better at shopping IRL, in my own town, since we actually have some great stores.

------

Moving forward I am considering getting

- A black suede biker jacket. I wear my leather jacket a lot, and sometimes it would be nice to have something to change with, also I find that the suede gives a softer look, that I really like
- The Malene Birger scarf I was talking about a couple of pages ago - I wanted to pick it up when in Copenhagen anyway, but I am not sure I will go there any time soon, so I might just order it online (totally rejecting everything I just said above :wink:)
- A black dress. Just cannot decide if I want something fitting and draped, or something looser but still with a defined waist.
- Perhaps a white dress. I have one, but I am considering selling it since it is not really me ATM, but mostly because it needs to be ironed before your wear it, and I simply do not have the patienece.

For fall
- A big grey wool scarf (perhaps ACNE canada)
- A black sweater
- A gray basic top with long sleeves - and perhaps tees in the same model as my new tanktops, in black, white and grey, if they turn out well.

eizhowa Thank you :flower: Ah, thank you for the kind words! BF isn't that fussed about my style, he just doesn't like the fact that I don't like myself. Used to be a lot more confident, but I'm working on it.
Trenchcoat Will send you a DM with the link! I really like that & Other Stories blouse, by the way!
Melisande Thank you so much! I'm joining you on the hunt for white tees, I managed to destroy two of 'em, unbeliavable!
Betina, love all of your pieces! That kimono is gorgeous. I always love everything you buy, we should go shopping together, so I could steal stuff you pick out, haha. :P

I am still waiting for my ASOS dress to arrive, and pretty impatiently waiting for the sales ... I hope COS has a good one, I want a lot of things!

eizhowa Thank you :flower: Ah, thank you for the kind words! BF isn't that fussed about my style, he just doesn't like the fact that I don't like myself. Used to be a lot more confident, but I'm working on it.
Trenchcoat Will send you a DM with the link! I really like that & Other Stories blouse, by the way!
Melisande Thank you so much! I'm joining you on the hunt for white tees, I managed to destroy two of 'em, unbeliavable!
Betina, love all of your pieces! That kimono is gorgeous. I always love everything you buy, we should go shopping together, so I could steal stuff you pick out, haha. :P

I am still waiting for my ASOS dress to arrive, and pretty impatiently waiting for the sales ... I hope COS has a good one, I want a lot of things!

You are so sweet, and I would love to do that. You coming to Denmark any time soon? :wink:

@Betina: I LOVE the ganni dress, in fact it is almost...ALMOST exactly what I'm looking for!! The top is really exactly the silhouette I'm looking for...the skirt, as usual, is shorter than what I need...the colour is not a colour I do either, but I'd take it too if I liked the rest of the dress enough. Ah, when will I meet you, my dream dress??

@Juliette: I somehow managed to destroy three more tee-shirts and tanks since then!! Which leaves me with some more tee-shirt shopping. Notwithstanding, I think I'll return either or both of the tees I got yesterday, not sure I like them too much...:S Tees are deceptively simple and the ones I usually get were sold out in my size, so I compromised...hmm...

@eizhowa: your enthusiasm for the Porsellis is contagious! They are gorgeous, and I'm getting intrigued by them too...and the colour you've chosen is really gorgeous...I have a jacket in that colour so it would work for me too.... It could be an excellent substitute for black, grey or brown basics. I usually avoid buying non-black shoes because I hate the hassle of polishing them with the right color, but the exception is with patent leather and dark suedes. I have patent leather shoes in red and violet too, and they're my favorites. I wish I could share with you my black-skirt karma; I have 8 black skirts and I love them all! I had some of them tailor made for me; that may be your best option for simple and yet specific basics like this.

Speaking of biker jackets, I have a question for you girls: I have a biker jacket in violet/lavender leather of all colours...how would you style it?? I end up wearing my distressed burgundy leather jacket more, but I want to make better use of my violet one too...I feel it could be a bit too...ostentatious if I'm not careful. I used to like wearing it with my wispy silk chiffon skirt with pastel watercolour print, but that died on me. I guess I'd recommend grey skinny jeans for others, but I don't do skinny jeans.

Now with these new replacements and a few gaps filled it's time to do a re-shuffling styling session with my wardrobe and make sure I'm getting the most of all I own.

Speaking of biker jackets, I have a question for you girls: I have a biker jacket in violet/lavender leather of all colours...how would you style it?? I end up wearing my distressed burgundy leather jacket more, but I want to make better use of my violet one too...I feel it could be a bit too...ostentatious if I'm not careful. I used to like wearing it with my wispy silk chiffon skirt with pastel watercolour print, but that died on me. I guess I'd recommend grey skinny jeans for others, but I don't do skinny jeans.

How about a white dress or that cream crochet (?) top you just bought?

- and thank you - the ganni dress is great! I do not think it is short though, but perhaps that is because I am as well.

@eizhowa: your enthusiasm for the Porsellis is contagious! They are gorgeous, and I'm getting intrigued by them too...and the colour you've chosen is really gorgeous...I have a jacket in that colour so it would work for me too.... It could be an excellent substitute for black, grey or brown basics. I usually avoid buying non-black shoes because I hate the hassle of polishing them with the right color, but the exception is with patent leather and dark suedes. I have patent leather shoes in red and violet too, and they're my favorites. I wish I could share with you my black-skirt karma; I have 8 black skirts and I love them all! I had some of them tailor made for me; that may be your best option for simple and yet specific basics like this.

* skirt envy *:D Maybe having someone make it for me is the best option, like you mention. Hmm... * goes to thinking box *

I have a love relationship with Porsellis because they are the only shoes that do not hurt my feet and look good at the same time:blush: And they come in so many delicious colors:wink:I have had my tan ones for a year, and the color has fortunately not faded yet. I don't know where I would get ginger/orange (or Damson!) polish in my town:rolleyes:

Betina: I look forward to see how you style the kimono! Such a beautiful piece.

@Fewormany: if it can be any consolation, I feel much more scandinavian chic than parisian chic these days :wink: I would really love to see those shorts. Funny about the shoes - seems like every danish fashion blogger with respect for themselves has a pair of Stan Smiths these days.

I don't feel bothered, my style never was french anyway and I don't expect it to be in the future. :wink: I know they are very popular in the blogosphere but I rarely see them in everyday life. I bought them because they are the perfect combination of white with (mint) green and they are very comfortable. Not to mention a reminder of the nineties when I wore them as a kid :lol:.
By the way, I really love the color green of the Ganni dress. I wouldn't mind an item of clothing in that color. :heart:

BTW: the shorts are on my Pinterest. (And I checked eizhowa they're Indian elephants :wink:)

@MelisandreI can see how you would recommend it with grey skinnies. For some reason I imagine a jacket like that with a long dove grey dress. Violet and light shades of grey are a perfect match in my opinion. :flower:

Oooh I knew I could count on you for great ideas! Thanks! :flower:

@Betina: I actually DO have a white sundress that would go well with it! Why I never thought of it, I do not know.

@Fewormany: Now a grey long skirt/dress is something I had not even considered, but it would actually be a perfect addition to my wardrobe/style...hmm!! Wow, inspired...new wishlist forming in my head...

I've had a new awakening towards grey recently. It's a great neutral colour that's not harsh like black, while still being versatile and practical too. I agree, it goes beautifully with pastels such as lavender and dusty pink...
My sister wears a LOT of grey...so much so that her 1.5 year old baby pointed to a picture of an elephant and said "...Mama!"...LOL!!

@eizhowa: I agree, the colour variety of Porsellis is simply beautiful...I prefer their colours to Repettos. Gotta love Italy...though I do feel loyal to France :blush:

I decided to return the ballet flats I got, which were too fragile and unsupported. I got instead some sneaker-style ballet-flats with rubber soles, which I realized would take the place of not only my zombified black ballet flats, but my Docs and sneakers as well, for walking purposes. Three in one, perfect for travel! Which is important to me. They were not necessarily to my taste, so I sewed some black ribbons to them so they tie around the ankles and look extra romantic. Now they're practical and cute, rather pleased :heart:

^You are so crafty, Melisande! If you need shoes with good support I wouldn't even consider getting a pair of Porselli flats though. They are very thin and have zero cushioning. It is not a problem for me at all, but I understand that other people sometimes get foot-aches because of it.

Why, thanks! Well I just really needed shoes that pack lightly and withstand a lot of walking, also in the countryside, so I preferred ones that hug the feet and have some traction, unlike regular ballet flats. Rubber soles are a happy thing for walkers :wink: I usually don't have a problem with flat ballet flats, except when they are too narrow or gape.

Spring purchases 2014

Time for an update on my purchases I think:smile:

My purchases this spring:
1. Simply Solid silk/wool scarf
2. Uniqlo mens cashmere sweater in black
3. Uniqlo mens cashmere sweater in grey
4. Uniqlo mens merino sweater in navy
5. J crew linen sweater in rust
6. J crew wool trousers

7. Ralph Lauren tweed blazer - to be resold. It was too big, and an identical blazer just sold on Farfetch for 700% more than what I paid for it:innocent:

jrqqop.png

annliz.com/jcrew.com/uniqlo./farfetch.com

My favorites were by far my Uniqlo cashmere sweaters and the grey scarf.

I also bought some basic tanks, two tees and I picked up some very inexpensive thick wool sweaters for Uniqlo as well, but they are just for layering (with at least two sweaters underneath) when it is freezing here, so I am couting those as basics.

I feel I have done quite well, but hopefully I will be able to continue to buy less and less, as I build a more complete wardrobe. Anyone else feel like they are making progress?

Melisande:
Well, in that case I should mention that Porsellis have adjustable laces:flower: I have a size 37 and a pair in 38, and both fit great after adjusting them:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dolixx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->