The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Glad you like the bag!

Yes, I think the arch support is good. I haven't worn the heeled styles, just the one I got another pair of, but these sell very well here. Nordstrom also carries them (in probably the usual wide range of sizes).

It has gotten quite cold, so I think I am going to wear something different than I originally planned. Probably my black pencil skirt (which is stretchy!), black cashmere sweater, leopard pumps, leopard wrap, and black tights with bark shimmer, which I think will look good with the leopard print. I haven't tried this on together, so not sure yet (as you say) how the silhouettes will work together.

@Fewormany: It is, and I love it. It is just .. and I thought I would lever say this, I really don't feel like wearing black. Sounds like great sale purchases!

Also, you men have it so easy :lol: I kind of envy you, mostly because it must be such a bliss - that's what I looks like when I look at my boyfriends wardrobe at least. He usually wear jeans, a t-shirt and a sweater or a shirt and a pullover, the same leather jacket every day, 3 different pairs of shoes (one for different occasions). Sometimes I feel like it would be so much easier just having ONE of each instead of having 7 different kinds of outerwear and 15 pairs of shoes. But then again, kind of boring I guess :whistle: (disclaimer: I know not ALL men dress like this).

@Ta-ta: I spent 10 minutes of my lunch break yesterday quickly browsing the stores near my job, and quickly decided that I must have something better at home. I did get a white tee though. It is on my SS list, but Gina Tricot had one in the excact shape I wanted (not easy to come by, everything is too sheer nowadays), and in organic cotton, so I bought one. I need to try it on, but I think it will be perfect. So not totally unsuccesful after all. Today I would rather go to the gym and go pick up a necklace I have been searching for and finally managed to track down.

Regarding tonight, I still don't know what to wear and I don't know what we will be doing - my boyfriend has 4 exams in January and is kind of stressed out about it, so we will be eating at home (ordered sushi yesterday) and then maybe going out afterwards, maybe not. No matter what I am sure I will find something to wear without going shopping :wink:

Happy NY to ya'll!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Betina: If you don't mind the 3/4 sleeves then the Saint James sounds very much like what you are looking for. It's fitted but not tight and not too long, and the cotton is very soft so it tucks easily into skirts if you like wearing it like that. I've worn mine A LOT since I got it in August and it doesn't show much signs of wear yet, so I am very happy with the quality. They have both navy and black striped ones (as well as other combinations, I have the ecru/navy).

http://www.boutique-saint-james.com/women-nautical-striped-t-shirt-lightweight-jersey-p363.html

I forgot to ask you where the cardigan is from? :flower:

@Tata: Thanks for the tip! I'll make a note for my next pair of heels, I saw some nice ones there. I like that the heels are a little more substantial, and the arch support looks good too. I also like the ballet flats you got! :smile:

I haven't decided what to wear tomorrow either. Right now I would most like to wear my pj's and curl up on the sofa... ^_^ I am thinking perhaps a black tulip shaped skirt with the white silk draped top, but I'm not sure if the shapes work together. I will try it on later tonight. I could wear a pencil skirt instead, but I am going to a dinner and I want to be able to eat and be comfortable. :P If I go with the black/white combo I will need some colourful accessories too to avoid the waitress-y look, but I haven't thought that far yet.

I also wore the new bag out yesterday and I actually quite like it. The size and shape is perfect, and the gold chain adds a nice detail to an outfit I think.

Oh my, that sounds perfect! My only worry is that it will be too big, since I am a size 34 and the smallest size is 36. How is the sizing in your opinion? And thanks, you are a dear!

The cardigan is from H&M of all places! I rarely buy anything there anymore, but this piece is really nice, and I have been eyeing it online, so finding it IRL and having a gift certificate was perfect.

I feel you regarding the PJs. Your actual outfitplans sounds nice, though :wink: Maybe with coloured shoes or a bright lipstick ? I bet your new bag might help shoo away the waitress look as well.

Happy New Years :smile:

^^ No problem! :flower: The sizing is french, so a 36 equals a regular 34. I usually wear 34-36 in tops (more and more 36 these days... :doh: ) and I took a 38 in this top. The 36 fit me too but I felt it was slightly short on me, and I also wanted more of a relaxed fit.

Hmm, I might have to pop by H&M and have a look...how is the length on you? I can't remember exactly how tall you are, but I think we are somewhat similar in height, and I always have problems with long cardigans too.

Re. NYE: I don't own any colourful shoes, but I might take a tip from Tata and wear my leopard print scarf/wrap. :wink:

Happy new year to you too! :smile:

^You're welcome:P I am wearing a dark green knee length Noa Noa dress I bought this year in the january sales, and nude pumps. I wore the same for Christmas:smile:

I will try to take/find a picture later.

Where are the nude pumps from btw?

Happy New years, everybody!:magic:

Trenchcoat: They are from Michael Michael Kors. I think I have them pinned on my wardrobe board on pinterest:smile: They are very comfortable. I can walk very far in 7-8cm heels.

Caramel: Yay on the bag! I considered the breton you have, but I actually thought it would be too long. I would prefer something that hits at the hip bones. I don't know how short is too short for you:P I am not looking for a crop top...

New years outfit: I actually have an outfit ready for that other party I won't be attending as well now... If I get another invite to a similar party I can wear cropped black skinny jeans with my black "suede" pumps, a navy or grey sweater and a gold pendant necklace:smile: This means I don't need to look for a party outfit any more, in case I get another invite!:D I am still wearing the green dress for this new years dinner though.

Happy New Year! :magic:

Love everybody's purchases, thanks for sharing.

I've received my 3 sale items. Acne leather trousers were too big, but there are some other webshops carrying the same trousers, but not yet for sale, so I keep waiting. Acne black knitwear sweater was perfect, but I already knew this, because I have the green version in my closet. Acne cropped jacket was a bit too small and too much cropped, not very practical for everyday wear. I'm keeping my eyes on the sale, maybe some other stuff will pop up from my list.

^Which Acne sweater was it? They make so many nice ones:wub: I wish I were Acne-tall:wink:

Betina: That Gina tee sounds very interesting... I will check it out for myself:smile:

:rofl:
The Delight o mer black.

acnestudios

They also have in new arrivals a great black blouse I like, the Anni fluid black.

Great sweater Nymphaea! :heart: I wish I was Acne-tall too...:P

Eizhowa, I just measured the top and it is 55cm long from the shoulder seam at the neckline down to the hem (size FR38). It hits exactly at the hip bone on me. I don't know if the smaller size was considerably shorter, but since it was more fitted on me it seemed shorter when worn.

By comparison I have a similar style shirt from the H&M children's department in size 164 which is 6cm longer. :P

betina The kimono sounds really nice and festive.

tata No problems with tights here indeed. :wink: I was going to say men have different problems while dressing, but to be honest I can't think of any..

I ordered a Acne sweater and sand colored chino in the sale (50% off). They were on my radar for quite a while and when both were only available in my size I took is as a sign that I had to try/buy them. :innocent:

Definitely a sign!

betina, sounds like a very successful 10-minute shopping trip :wink:

Caramel, with the leopard and the new bag, I don't think anyone will be able to mistake you for a waitress!

Just remember that those of us who are not Acne-tall may have a narrower selection of clothing, but we also have a wider selection of men :lol:

I've made a college of a capsule wardrobe with a lot of rust colours, but I tried on some rust pieces but didn't like them on me. Then I wasn't happy with my wardrobe anymore and cleared my closet and found out that I was still missing some basic items. So first I'm going to buy those first.

Turtleneck black (check)
White blouse
White tee
Grey tee
Black cami (check)
Navy jumper (check)
Anthracite jumper
Cardigan
Black skinny (check)
Blue skinny (check)
Shoulder bag
Black skirt
Grey cashmere scarf
Porselli navy
Breton Saint James (check)
Leather boots
Necklace
Anthracite jeans
Black pants
Suede black pumps
Black blazer (check)

@Caramel: that sounds great! Now I just have to see wether I can find it in-store somewhere. Thank you for the answers :flower:

I am 1.65 and the lenght is mid thigh on me. The short ACNE raya is just below knee on me :lol:

Sounds great with the leopard wrap.

@Eizhowa: It is the Vera top http://www.ginatricot.com/cdk/da/kollektion/toj/toppe/toppe-med-armer/vera-top/prod499951000.html

I haven't had the best luck with their basics in the past, but I figured it was worth a shot.

@Ta-ta: I am effective like that :wink: In regards of men, I don't aggree 100%, since I like 'em tall :lol:

-----

I have concluded my fall list and have purchased 14 pieces (including the cardigan that I got with the gift certificate I got for christmas). My goal was 12, so I am quite satisfied. I am really happy with all of my purchases.

There is still two months left of the AW season though, but I am planning on not purchasing anything until April 1st. Hope I will be able to do it. I will need to buy a new bra and a pair of work-out pants and a sportsbra, but that is not things I count on my list anyhow.

All left on my wishlist now is a black or grey 3/4 sleeved drop-waist dress, a cotton breton blouse, a Mulberry Agenda and the Mulberry Willow bag. The bag is still not happening anytime soon, and I think I will save the calendar for a special occasion.

(my picture, can be enlarged)

Attachments

• aw14.jpg
    aw14.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 17
First of all, happy 2015 to all! :lucky:

Both the Acne sweater and chinos that I ordered on sale fit perfectly, and both work with everything that's already in my closet. The trousers really fit perfectly, something I rarely come across since I'm pretty slim-waisted. I'm going to keep their trousers in mind when I need a new pair, I really like their styles.
I'm at the point where I can grab pretty much every combo of top+bottom and they go together. Working within a color scheme really pays off. ^_^

453629_mrp_in_l.jpg
453620_mrp_in_l.jpg

mrporter.com

Happy new year to you too! I keep hearing that this is the year when everything changes ... yay!

Only two months left of winter, huh? :wink: Here, there's usually the first of 'spring' warm weather in mid-February, when I can wear my new purchases if I have any, and then it's back to winter for awhile.

Last night I braved the mall again (I didn't realize how awful it was New Year's Eve) and tried my blouse on in the proper size. It works well, and now that I'm not sick, I'm not sure it really needs a necklace. I also got some eyeshadow. There was a frenzy of people getting their makeup done.

How did everyone's outfits work out last night? I was happy with mine ... though I wasn't thrilled to be wearing the heels at the mall. Everyone had their husbands and sons parked in the chairs, and as I walked by, this kid commented that my shoes were not made for walking :lol: Indeed they were not. I ended up not going beyond Nordstrom and their coffee shop (thank goodness I used enough hairspray that I could haul things over my head & my hair was still fine!). I usually stop by the Aveda store for a touchup (they have a hair station) if I need one when I'm going out after, but I didn't want to walk down there. The wrap provided a bit of drama to my outfit (of the positive kind--no fires or anything like that!!), and I was warm. Our table was next to a picture window with the curtains wide open, and it was cold at first.

I have also been thinking about some jewelry ... it's been quite awhile since I've bought anything. I was thinking maybe about some new earrings ... gold hoops? Or rose gold? Maybe hammered?

Attachments

• polka dot.jpg
    polka dot.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
^That blouse looks so nice!:o I don't think it needs a necklace, but it would look good with the right one:smile: You can't possibly have been the only one over-dressed for the mall? Right before the stores close here at 18, they are filled with men in suits who have forgotten various stuff:lol:

I had someone take a picture of my outfit, but I haven't recieved it yet. Will post in the outfit combination thread later:smile: I actually wore my patent pumps for 8 hours straight with no pain! I must be a witch too, Caramel:wink:

Nymphaea: Lovely sweater! It definitly needs someone tall though, like I though:wink:

Btw, I once calculated that I was taller than 20% of men in the UK:smile: Ah, normal distribution... hours and hours of fun:P

Betina: Thanks for the link. I can see that the shape looks good, but I am looking for a different neckline. Either a deep V-neck or high crew-neck. I tried on a Samsøe Samsøe tee that looked perfect, but they were too oversized:( Such a bummer.

Trenchcoat: Looks like a nice list of basics. Which shade of rust did you try on? They vary from very red, to very orange to very brown. I prefer the orange-browns. It might be that they are all wrong for you. You could try darker, or cooler browns. They look very nice with navy and olive, I think. Clemence Poesy combined a lot of navy/brown/olive before, you could check that out for inspiration:flower:

^ Thank you :flower: I really like the sleeve design.

I wasn't the only one overdressed, but as I passed it was probably obvious the shoes weren't working so well for me in the mall. My feet have shrunk in the cold, and my right one (half size smaller) didn't want to stay in the shoe. I was totally amused by his comment!

You have interesting ideas of fun :wink: I am taller than some men here, but not too many (without heels).

It's interesting that many of the countries known for being tall are in cold climates. Perhaps keeping one's nose above the snow was an evolutionary advantage? :lol:

@Fewormany: lovely things - I really like the print on the sweatshirt and the colours of the chinos - the shade seems a bit different than the standard beige.

@Ta-ta: calendarwise :wink: my b-day is in April, and I have had both nice summery-weather and snow on that day..

I love that blouse you got! Cute sleeves. I wouldn't wear a necklace with it - perhaps only something discrete. I think it is very statement-y on its own.

I think rose-gold hoops would be nice with your wardrobe.

Your outfit sounds lovely - despite the non-walkeable shoes :wink: I ended up wearing the red dress (that I cannot find pictures of anywhere) with black opaque tights, black pumps and my YSL mail clutch. I was very happy with it and got a lot of compliments.

@Eizhowa: shame! I was looking for something with a higher neckline, so I was very happy.

@fewormany: Nice purchases! I really like the print on the sweater!

@Ta-ta: Love the blouse you got! I agree that it doesn't really need a necklace, perhaps just something very subtle?

@Betina: Your outfit sounds very nice! I wish I felt comfortable in red, because I love how it looks on other people.

For NYE I went with the outfit I mentioned, black skirt w/slight tulip shape, white silk wrap blouse, black tights and heels. I also wore a large gold sunburst necklace that I've had for years but hardly ever worn before. It doesn't work with any regular type of necklines (it's just a little too bold for me, I think), but it looked really nice peeking out beneath the wrap v-neck. And of course the new bag, which added some texture and gold too. I ended up wearing the leopard wrap just as a scarf going to and from the party and out on the balcony for watching the fireworks, but it wasn't really a big part of my outfit. It did look quite nice though.

I've been looking through 2014 clothing budget and reviewing my purchases. I bought more than I normally would last year, but I feel like I've started to build a really nice foundation for my wardrobe, and I made very few unsuccessful purchases. These were my favourites from the year:

* Black patent ballerina flats (Bloch) - January sales purchase (50% off)
* Black and gold belt (H&M) - not the greatest quality, but it's kind of statement-y and adds a lot to my basic jeans-outfits.
* White, and white/blue button down shirts (Uniqlo) - from London in February. I've lived in these all year.
* Beige basket stitch biker-cardigan (Jigsaw) - from the same London-trip. Possibly my favourite item of all the clothes I own. :heart:
* Breton-top (Saint-James) - impulse purchase from Paros, Greece in August. Stripes always seems to be a success for me, and I think I've preached enough about this top. :lol:
* Jeans (one black, one navy, from Diesel) - finally found a go-to jeans model this autumn, after searching for years.
* Navy dress (FWSS) - love this much more than I thought I would and have worn it on several occasions this fall and winter. It's easy to style and I always feel pulled together when wearing it.

My least successful purchase was an ivory cable knit cashmere sweater from Ralph Lauren that I bought second-hand this time last year. I remember the january-cold and being desperate for some nice knitwear. The sweater itself is really nice, but it's not the right white shade for me, and a little too tight and warm so I always feel a little suffocated in it. Will probably be getting rid of it this year.

And finally, the wildcard of the year was the burgundy cashmere cardigan that I got from Uniqlo in February. It felt like a mistake almost as soon as I left the store, and it stayed unworn at the back of my wardrobe for months while I considered giving it away. I pulled it out one day in September to donate, put it on to try one last time and suddenly it worked perfectly for me! I've worn it lots this autumn and winter, so it ended up as a success afterall. ^_^

What were your favourite pieces from 2014? :flower:

Caramel: Great about the uniqlo cardigan! It is so great when pieces just suddently work!

I really like the idea of doing a recap of favourite pieces bought! Here are mine:

- Damson Porselli ballet flats (January)
- Vintage damson paisley silk scarf (January)
- Topshop leigh jeans grey/black (January/July)
- Uniqlo mens cashmere sweaters grey/black (March/May)
- Balenciaga chelsea boots (July)
- COS herringbone coat (July)
- Black patent cap toe Chanel flats (August)
- Black oversized wool turtleneck (November)

I have a lot of favourites, but I think these have gotten the most wear. I have some pieces I love, but won't be able to wear until spring (I bought them at the very end of the season). Untill I have a chance to wear the pieces, I won't really know whether they were good purchases.

I suppose my least successfull purchase was a olive v-neck cashmere sweater I bought at uniqlo. I should have gotten the crewneck...:( I gave it to my sister who likes it, so it is not all bad:smile:

I looked over my bad purchases, and the majority of the flops were Ebay purchases... I will try to limit my use of Ebay to buying duplicates of tried and tested pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->