The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of Uniqlo knitwear have you been buying, ladies? Cause I have to say that I haven't been very pleased with the merino sweater I got there in August. It has already gotten several small holes and generally look worn. In comparism my old Benneton lambswool sweater lasted me 2 winters where I wore it every day more or less. Maybe I should have gotten the cashmere one grom Uniqlo?

^Thats too bad:( The merino sweaters are not very fine knit, and they can snag easily I think. I kind of treat them like t-shirts - essential, but I know I won't have them forever... However, mine have not gotten holes (this far...). I have gotten snags before, but I managed to pull the threads back into place.

The Cashmeres are much thicker and mine have not snagged, despite my cat occasionally using them as a toy when I am not looking...

Was the Benetton sweater not available any more?

^Thats too bad:( The merino sweaters are not very fine knit, and they can snag easily I think. I kind of treat them like t-shirts - essential, but I know I won't have them forever... However, mine have not gotten holes (this far...). I have gotten snags before, but I managed to pull the threads back into place.

The Cashmeres are much thicker and mine have not snagged, despite my cat occasionally using them as a toy when I am not looking...

Was the Benetton sweater not available any more?

I didn't expect it to last forever, but definetely more than just a few months. I could have just gotten the Benneton one again, but I wanted to see if there was something better out there. Also it was a bit too long for my likings.

Now I've bought another one from Benneton instead. A bit more expensive than the other one, but way nicer as well. Unforunately it is not a part of their regular line, but I Hope it will be a part of the fall collection this year as well. Otherwise I might try Uniqlos cashmere sweater.

^Considering how well the uniqlo wool sweaters sell, you'd think Benetton would make it part of their permanent collection! I wish more stores sold good basics as a part of their regular line. Hopefully your new sweater will last you as long as the previous Benetton sweater:flower:

Today I ran to Filippa-K and bought the scarf Fewormany recommended for me. I was so worried it would be gone and I was completely prepared to pay full price for it - I needed that scarf! I got it, and it was actually 30% off now!:D

I am wearing it now, and I have a feeling that for the next few months I won't be taking it off except to shower and sleep^_^ It also looks great with my tan/orange leather gloves:smile: I really love it:heart:

mmda3m.jpg

my own picture

I finally took a picture of the 2 vintage scarves I bought in October. I am really pleased with them, and I expect to get a lot of wear out of them when the weather gets a bit warmer.

345eu0k.jpg
ly980.jpg

my own pictures

I discovered a new wardrobe combination today, and it put a black blazer back at the top of my wishlist. I realized that I can layer a wool blazer under my grey COS coat for extra warmth... Why didn't I think of this before?:doh: I could have saved myself so much pain:rolleyes:

Top priorities for S/S:
- Black blazer - made of natural materials/wool blend and not too office-y.
- Basic t-shirts - preferably a white v-neck and grey crewneck.
- Black Porsellis
+ Take in my tobacco brown trousers

I am really happy with my current wardrobe though:smile:

Thanks again Fewormany, that scarf felt like the cherry on the top of the ice cream:wink:

You're welcome, great to hear you enjoy scarf so much already! :flower:

Nice job, fewormany! The scarf looks very nice, and I also like the vintage ones.

Barbara, I like your yellow sweater with the bow! Agree about miniskirts ... nothing elegant about a flash of (especially non-matching!) underthings! Agree that we have plenty to worry about without adding to the list.

My blouse arrived today (had it shipped so I could get triple points) ... but it's far too cold to wear it. Hopefully we'll have some nice days in February when I can break it out. Some black and white espadrilles would be fun! Also part of my shoes & hose order that isn't heavy enough to be shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't expect it to last forever, but definetely more than just a few months. I could have just gotten the Benneton one again, but I wanted to see if there was something better out there. Also it was a bit too long for my likings.

Now I've bought another one from Benneton instead. A bit more expensive than the other one, but way nicer as well. Unforunately it is not a part of their regular line, but I Hope it will be a part of the fall collection this year as well. Otherwise I might try Uniqlos cashmere sweater.

That's interesting, I have a completely different experience. The black and olive green wool sweaters I got from Benetton had to be disposed, while Uniqlo merino wool cardigan is as good as new and I didn't expect such quality (I also don't hand wash it, I never do that with knitwear). The Benetton ones were totally ruined after just a season. I bet they would fit a 7 yo kid. :shock: And the texture became felt-like. Is there any english word for it? We have it in our language though.

Eizhowa, that scarf is perfect for you, congrats! :flower: Must be something related with the karma of this thread, since we all got some amazing scarves lately. :cool:

I ordered my first item for spring today, the Hudson's! :woot: Can't wait till their arrival and I really hope they will fit this time. I think they will look very nice even a bit worn out.

office

Attachments

• H by Hudson.jpg
    H by Hudson.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 2
^Thank you! Congrats on finally getting the patent shoes you wanted!:flower:

We have a word for felt-like wool as well...According to Google, the word is "felted"... The Norwegian word is so much better though:P

^ Yep, you beat me to it ... felted is the word. I have curtains made of felted sweaters in my bedroom ... they were felted deliberately :wink: I believe it is done with multiple washings in hot water.

Very funny about the scarf karma ... it does seem to be quite true :wink:

Hope the brogues fit well. Patent seems to wear well. I clean it with the same cleaner I use on my counters (I use all gentle cleansers).

PS Would appreciate any recommendations for rose gold hoops. I was thinking about some texture, but I don't think I've seen any like that in rose gold. I've been looking at local jewelers' and stores' websites mostly, and what I had in mind--a large, possibly textured, statementy, 3D hoop--I have only seen in yellow gold--and not many of those. For some reason the rose gold hoops seem to be tiny, and often have diamonds, which I prefer to avoid.

I need a dimensional hoop because of the angle of my ears. A skinny hoop can visually disappear when looking at me head-on, which I find disconcerting.

I think rose gold is very popular amongst Etsy sellers. I don't know if Etsy is "your thing" though.

I remember making (incredibly homemade-looking) felted wool slippers as a child. We rubbed the knitted wool with dish washing soap before throwing it in the wash. It was such tedious work... and the slippers were so ugly:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ OK, thanks, I'll take a look ... haven't really looked at jewelry on Etsy before, though I use it for other things.

I once ordered some felt slippers for myself, and they fit like boats :lol:

Great scarf from Filippa-K eizhowa, can totally see why you love it and I can visualize it looking great on you. Very good suggestion from Fewormany. :flower:

Love your Hudson's Jinadaze. I'm looking for something similar, difficult to find the perfect oxfords, I'm also looking in the mens section. :D

fashionista-ta Herve van der Straeten at Neiman Marcus has some structured hoops, but no rose gold unfortunately. Most hoop earrings are indeed rather nondescript. Maybe take a design you like and let them be made in rose gold at a good jeweler/goldsmith? I'm contemplating that myself with some earrings I have seen, but my reason is that I think it will be much cheaper than the original.

Eizhowa I like your scarf!! How will you combine it. With which colour. I was thinking about maybe buying the navy colour.

Great scarf from Filippa-K eizhowa, can totally see why you love it and I can visualize it looking great on you. Very good suggestion from Fewormany. :flower:

Love your Hudson's Jinadaze. I'm looking for something similar, difficult to find the perfect oxfords, I'm also looking in the mens section. :D

fashionista-ta Herve van der Straeten at Neiman Marcus has some structured hoops, but no rose gold unfortunately. Most hoop earrings are indeed rather nondescript. Maybe take a design you like and let them be made in rose gold at a good jeweler/goldsmith? I'm contemplating that myself with some earrings I have seen, but my reason is that I think it will be much cheaper than the original.

Thanks for the ideas. Neimans' website has been where I have had the best luck so far ... it's not my favorite store, but what can you do. I pinned some of the ones I like. Next time I'm over there, I need to go by and try some on, see how they look. The yellow gold is kind of the look for the brand I've been looking at ... but I should look at their own website and see if they make anything else.

You might try Lanvin for oxfords ... they make a lot of them, and the ones I returned made me feel like I had shopped in the men's department :wink: That was really the only reason I returned them, they were a bit too literal for me. Otherwise very nice ... I think they had ribbon ties, which I like.

Eizhowa I like your scarf!! How will you combine it. With which colour. I was thinking about maybe buying the navy colour.

Thank you!

I am really loving combining the brownish orange shade with greys/blacks. I prefer using different materials/patterns (herringbone/breton) to add interest to an outfit.

I will try to post a picture in the other thread tomorrow. It was already dark when class ended so I had no time today.

I really like navy, but I prefer it on others. It looks really great on brunettes.

Caramel: I forgot to thank you for the measurements! Thank you! I will compare it to my other tops:smile:

I think J crew only carry Petite sizes online (and not in London), becuase the demand is not as great. However, last year, J crew had a free shipping + free returns + 30% off sales items (and they have a LOT of items on sale), just before christmas. That means no taxes, no duties and no shipping costs to Norway, and you can return everything that doesn't fit!:D The only limit is your bank account:wink: I am hoping they will do this again this year.
Currently J Crew has 40% off on the perfect fit tee I would like to buy, but no free shipping and still taxes applied. Any idea if they are going to offer a higher sale percentage and/or free shipping and/or no taxes? Tia! :flower:

So much activity here - very nice!

@Barbaraa: glad you liked the sweaters! Love the colour of the pale pink one.

@Eizhowa: lovely scarf - and just "your" colour :flower: PS: I really wanna know what the Norwegian word for felted is :D In Danish it is very similar to the English word, we call it "filtet"

@Jina: so weird. Sounds like the way sweaters get when they are washed the wrong way, but I bet you know how to wash a woolen sweater properly, so thats is probably not the reason. Love the shoes!

Still going strong in regards of not shopping (thankfully, if I can't handle 9 days I am not sure how to deal with 3 months..). I do think I have found the item I want to spent the gift certificate I got for christmas on. I have always liked this cardigan from my favourite knitwear brand Sibin Linnebjerg, and the store that I have the gift certificate for should get it in navy by the end of this month. I think it will be a great addition to my black/white/grey wardrobe and look very well with stripes (important!).

They will also be getting some other knits from this brand as well though, that I might want to take a look at, before I make a decission.

0c5595a44f.jpg

pic via slopkisten.dk

^ I think the Norwegian word for 'felted' is 'tovet'? Unless there is another word that I don't know about, perhaps eizhowa can confirm. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->