The 50 Book Challenge (2012)

Annu I think when it comes to The Bell Jar you kind of have to read it at the right time in your life... it just might not be the right time for you yet (or you just might never like it :P)

I personally read it twice...
thought it was ok the first time around and then when i reread it years later it hit me in such a different, much more profound way and I was really able to appreciate it

^it's one of my fave books ever, it's beautiful and although it's so huge, you'll want more once you've finished it. i didn't like the first 300 pages or so too much, but then i couldn't put it down:heart:

You are so right!! The book just keep getting better and better even thought I'm loaded with college work I always trying to find time to read it, I might even finish it this week. Isn't William the most dreadfull thing?

1. The Magus by John Fowles
2. Atonement by Ian McEwan
3. Ciuleandra by Liviu Rebreanu
4. Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez
5. Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin
-had to read it for school and it was really amazing! Loved it so much!! I'm going to reread it once again as soon as I have some free time.

Still reading:
6. Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (almost finished)

01. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman
02. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
03. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

04. Look at me by Jennifer Egan
05. Who Moved My Cheese? by Dr Spencer Johnson

1)The Vampire Diaries: The Return, Shadow Souls by L. J. Smith
2)La tete du chat by Βασίλης Αλεξάκης
3)The shadow of August by Sue Welford
4)The Runaways by Kristin Butcher
5)Gossip Girl: You know You Love me by Cecily von Ziegesar
6)The Vampire Diaries: The Return, Midnight by L. J. Smith
7)Gossip Girl: All I want is Everything by Cecily von Ziegesar

8)Desert Flower by Waris Dirie Cathleen Miller

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Apathy -- and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan. 5/5 (a favourite I've read a few times)
2. Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman 4.5/5

The only reason this was a 4.5 book...... a couple of essays didn't really interest me.... not even the author's fault... but some chapters blew my mind. Not only does about exactly the topics that I'd want to read about - current society, pop culture, technology - sometimes I felt like he was expanding my mind as I was reading. The last 2 chapters blew my mind. He really inspired me. I read 2 of his books last year, and finished one of his today, and I'm such a huge, converted fan now.

01. The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway)
02. Glue (Irvine Welsh)
03. The Demon (Hubert Selby Jr)
04. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
05. A Long Way Down (Nick Hornby)
06. Popism (Andy Warhol / Pat Hackett)
07. Brit Pulp (Jean-Marie Pottier)

01: No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
02: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
03: A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
04: Consider The Lobster by David Foster Wallace
05: Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
06: The Art Of Travel by Alain De Botton
07: The Beach by Alex Garland
08: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
09: A Dead Man's Memoir (A Theatrical Novel) by Mikhail Bulgakov

I am all over the place with my reading at the moment... Reading 4 books at once, which is not like me at all!

Annu I think when it comes to The Bell Jar you kind of have to read it at the right time in your life... it just might not be the right time for you yet (or you just might never like it :P)
I guess you are right. I have once recommended a book (Stardust I think) for my friend and I was so be deceived she didn't like it. I read it again, didn't like either anymore. After that I have tried not to recommended my favorite books to anyone if they end up to hate them :lol: It is interesting that sometimes even your favorite books seem to be stupid and boring, and sometimes after they are good again.

But when I read The Bell Jar and think about that so much, I started to watch Gilmore again, so maybe it was good to read it anyway.

01. The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway)
02. Glue (Irvine Welsh)
03. The Demon (Hubert Selby Jr)
04. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
05. A Long Way Down (Nick Hornby)
06. Popism (Andy Warhol / Pat Hackett)
07. Brit Pulp (Jean-Marie Pottier)
08. The Music Of Chance (Paul Auster)

1)The Vampire Diaries: The Return, Shadow Souls by L. J. Smith
2)La tete du chat by Βασίλης Αλεξάκης
3)The shadow of August by Sue Welford
4)The Runaways by Kristin Butcher
5)Gossip Girl: You know You Love me by Cecily von Ziegesar
6)The Vampire Diaries: The Return, Midnight by L. J. Smith
7)Gossip Girl: All I want is Everything by Cecily von Ziegesar
8)Desert Flower by Waris Dirie Cathleen Mille
r
9)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

^did you like the hunger games? I've bought the mockingbird yesterday.

I don't have much time to read for leisure anymore, because I am swamped with reading from classes (as an Art History and History double major). Last week I finished A Happy Death by Albert Camus. Now I'm trying to find time to finish The Castle by Franz Kafka. I love this thread. It makes me so happy to see so many people reading!

1.Never Let Me Go-Kazuo Ishiguro
2. The Virgin Suicides-Jeffrey Eugenides
3. The Great Gastby-F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. Bed of Roses- Nora Roberts
5. Affaire Royale- Nora Roberts
6. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy- John Le Carré
7. The Pillars of the Earth- Ken Follet

Its was soo soo good, I was sad when I finished it. Its such a great read and the characters are so rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
2. On Canaan's Side - Sebastian Berry
3. The Witches - Roald Dahl
4. Room - Emma Donoghue

Not sure what to read next! I think either The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time or The Orphan Master's Son.

Woow some of you guys are really devouring books, now i feel lame posting my list. Anyway... I finished my first book :D

1. "On The Road" by Jeack kerouac
I absolutely love it, specially in the beginning, although it got me a little bit bored in the middle of the book because it was more of the same trips and going from city to city, meeting new people and the same parties. But despite of that i really like it, i think it educated me a lot about the "Beat generation", and step out of the cliché vision that i had, i even started downloading some jazz music during the reading like George Shearing and other cultural tastes of the characters to get into the book a little bit more. It was really inspiring and it encourages me to travel more, probably not doing autostop btw :lol:

Now reading:
2. "Compassion" by OSHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->