The Business of Magazines

This is ridicilous and it soo pisses me off, why the f**k didnt they sell POP to Conde Nast then? It is to good of a magazine to fold, and it shows they basically didnt give sh*t about it, so glad Katie is off to Conde Nast.

To me Grand is one of the best stylist's ever, her vision and love of fashion is amazing, and i will cherish all of her work she did with POP, LOVED IT!

But i am excited about her new mag, the title is perfect.^_^

This is ridicilous and it soo pisses me off, why the f**k didnt they sell POP to Conde Nast then? It is to good of a magazine to fold, and it shows they basically didnt give sh*t about it, so glad Katie is off to Conde Nast.

To me Grand is one of the best stylist's ever, her vision and love of fashion is amazing, and i will cherish all of her work she did with POP, LOVED IT!

But i am excited about her new mag, the title is perfect.^_^

I know, the title alone makes me excited and anxious to hear more about it.

Francesca Burns leaves ID magazine and joins Love magazine as Senior Fashion Editor At Large..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup sounds great for Love. i-D has always been one of the most creative and good fashion mags out there, just look at their recent covers :smile:

Katie Grand looking forward to Love

Katie Grand's forthcoming twice-yearly fashion and style magazine for Condé Nast now has a name - Love.

Grand edited style magazine Pop for eight years before the Condé Nast managing director, Nicholas Coleridge, lured her and her entire team from rival Bauer in September.

"We came up with the name together," Coleridge said. "It's just a great name. It's a very positive name denoting a love of fashion and a love of style," he added.

The £5 style magazine launches at the end of February and Coleridge said the nascent title had attracted a "very positive response" from advertisers.

Condé Nast has long desired a high-end style magazine and attempted to buy Pop from Bauer. A previous foray into style magazine territory did not last beyond one issue.

In July 2003 Conde Nast launched Trash, a contract title for Ministry of Sound, edited by former Dazed & Confused editor Rachel Newsome.

Love will be a bespoke size "slightly larger than most monthlies" and according to Condé Nast promises to be "edgy and experimental".

Grand made her name working on the launch of Dazed & Confused, and later moved to The Face, where she remained until 2001.

She launched the fashion and art magazine Pop in 2000 while still at The Face. The following year she left to work full-time on Pop, owned by Bauer. She resigned to join Condé Nast in September.

Condé Nast - which publishes titles including House & Garden, Tatler, The World of Interiors, Vanity Fair and GQ - is also planning to launch a UK edition of the American technology magazine Wired edited by the departing Jewish Chronicle editor David Rowan.
guardian.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
^thanks for the article.

Does anyone have any info about that 'Trash' magazine?

Yup, I'm a little interested too about Trash, since it comes out from Conde Nast, suppposedly the first high-end style magazine from them

UK Marie Claire editor Marie O'Riordan will leave at the end of 2008. Her replacement is yet to be announced, info from 'JournAlert Media News'.

Yup, I'm a little interested too about Trash, since it comes out from Conde Nast, suppposedly the first high-end style magazine from them

Trash folded after its first issue back in 2003. i remember Madeliene Blomberg had a great story in it by Corrine Day and Karl Plewka.

http://www.observer.com/2008/media/radar-shutting-down-again
Radar Shutting Down (Again) by John Koblin | October 24, 2008

Radar editor Maer Roshan convened his staff late this morning and announced that the magazine would be shutting down immediately. Staffers are expected to clear out their desks by the end of the day.
"The magazine is gone and the Web site is being reincarnated," said a Radar staffer who attended the meeting.
The web site has been sold to AMI and will be redesigned and rebuilt to "become a competitor to TMZ," our source said. David Pecker, the editor-in-chief of The National Enquirer will become the managing editor of the new web site.

Pop drops spring issue following Katie Grand's exit

Bauer has reaffirmed its commitment to style magazine Pop in the wake of editor Katie Grand's defection - but admitted that it will not publish a spring edition next year.

The company said that it was not under any pressure to publish an issue before an editor was appointed to replace Grand, who defected to Condé Nast last month to launch a rival magazine.

Bauer Consumer Media said that it is recruiting a new editor for Pop, who will relaunch the magazine in autumn 2009.

Pop is about to publish the last edition Grand worked on before her departure, a special 20th anniversary issue that will appear on November 18.

The issue features Drew Barrymore holding a white rabbit on the cover.

Bauer is sending out a flyer to advertisers today launching the 20th anniversary issue and announcing that the following issue will be published in the autumn next year.

"Katie and her team have been utterly professional in producing a fantastic 20th anniversary issue, but now we want to move on to appointing a new editor for the next chapter of the Pop story," a Bauer Consumer Media spokeswoman said.

"It is inevitable a new editor will bring a new vision to the brand, but we are not prepared - nor under any pressure - to rush out an interim issue for the sake of it," she added.

"We would rather invest time in relaunching in the fall 2009 with a magazine that will create a real difference to the fashion industry.

"Pop was, is, and will continue to be, a valuable member of our portfolio and we are really excited about what the future holds for the brand. The new era of Pop launches fall 2009."

Last year, Pop magazine increased its frequency from two issues a year to three and will do so again this year.

But a spring 2009 edition, for which planning would have to commence now, will not appear.

Grand has left Bauer to launch a rival style and fashion magazine, named Love, at Condé Nast.

She defected last month after editing Pop for eight years
guardian.co.uk

Elle Accessories Goes on Hiatus
Anne Slowey-helmed title to presumably return next fall; four staffers available for hire
Friday, October 24, 2008

(NEW YORK) ELLE's profile is quite high this week, given the premiere of Stylista on the CW network. However, parent company Hachette Filippachi has decided to suspend publication of ELLE Accessories, effective immediately. The publication will allegedly return in Fall 2009. Anne Slowey, editor of the title, has lost four key staffers: Linnea Olson-Scwartz, fashion market director; Anna Kojuharova, senior market editor; Betsy Breen, assistant market editor; and Jaclyn Kaminski, fashion assistant. Slowey has set up a Gmail account where interested parties may get in contact with the newly-available editors.
ASHLEY BAKER

From Fashionweekdaily
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6621180

Oh so POP will not fold, hopefully they get a great competent new eic and the mag stays around with good content.

More about the Nov 08 issue of L'Uomo Vogue from The Times:

L'Uomo Vogue's Africa issue

One might assume, given the competitive nature of magazine publishing, that the decision of L’Uomo Vogue to devote an entire issue to Africa was a canny marketing ruse. Riding, perhaps, on the provocative wave of its sister title, Vogue Italia, which earlier this year published its “black” issue featuring only black models. “Not so,” says Franca Sozzani, the editor-in-chief of both publications, whose commentary on some of the images appears below. “I actually started thinking about this way before the black issue when I began speaking to the philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy about his work in Darfur.”

The result is a reportage-style tribute to the continent as seen through the eyes of international writers, humanitarians and actors involved in cultural and social programmes that benefit Africa. “We read so much about Africa and its many interesting projects but there don’t appear to be many official channels. Everyone knows what George Clooney gets up to because he is media friendly but no one realises that a company like Luxottica has given away millions of pairs so people can read.

She is prepared for the criticism that she is using Africa to make a fashion statement. “That’s why I decided to give 50 per cent of the advertising revenue to various African aid organisations. We will not be making a profit from this.” Given the economic climate, that’s a pretty substantial gesture. The issue goes on sale on November 1.

- Franca Sozzani on Nelson Mandela, photographed by Anton Corbjin “How could I not include Mandela in this issue. He is an icon of Africa, the father of Africa and the best person to wave the flag. We had him shot in this traditional outfit and I think this picture is a peaceful, positive image.”

- On Forrest Whittaker, photographed by Francesco Carrozzini “He is a person who has such a universal appeal, a Hollywood actor of the highest quality but also very involved in Africa via charities such as Hope North, something that isn’t as well-documented.”

- On Bernard-Henri Lévy, photographed by Don Miller “It was while talking to him that the whole issue came about. And he has collaborated enormously on the editorial of this issue. I was very interested in his perspective as a philosopher and his past work in Darfur.”

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article5029921.ece

Sounds interesting - but I hope they won't just focus on humanitarian issues.

I wonder if Nelson Mandela will be on the cover :shock:

Katie and her team have been utterly professional in producing a fantastic 20th anniversary issue, but now we want to move on to appointing a new editor for the next chapter of the Pop story," a Bauer Consumer Media spokeswoman said.

I didn't know that POP is already 20 years old very intersting :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brier Bunny
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->