The Business of Magazines

^ So depressing. I was never a fan of Out and just started reading it after Phillip's revamp, which turned the magazine into a thoughtful and well-written monthly that represented as much as it could of the community. But Pride media has its (many) issues and clearly Phillip's tenure there wasn't going to be sustainable. I wish him the best, and a job at a big lifestyle magazine soon - he's proven that he has the potential to be a great editor in my mind.

Yikes.

tho he is a terrible editor imo. From Teen Vogue to Out. The man was all hype.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/11/top-brass-at-pride-medias-out-the-advocate-magazines-abruptly-resign/

The top editors of two separate gay magazines — Out and The Advocate — abruptly resigned Wednesday as new troubles convulsed parent company Pride Media.

Pride Media CEO Orlando Reece also resigned, sources said.

It’s the second media company controlled by Adam Levin’s Oreva Capital to be jolted by woes in recent weeks. Hightimes Holding, which runs marijuana-themed events and publishes High Times magazine, said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing in November that it may not have enough financial resources to survive.

“I’m out at Out,” confirmed Phillip Picardi, the 28-year-old editor-in-chief who was recruited from Condé Nast a year ago, where he was seen as a rising superstar. So valuable was Picardi to Condé Nast, that his hiring by Out was announced in August despite Condé Nast refusing to release him from his contract running Teen Vogue and Them, the gay digital publication he started, until November, when he finally made the jump.

“It’s been the most rewarding work I’ve ever done in my career,” Picardi said of his time overhauling the magazine and website at Out, one of the leading magazines aimed at the LGBTQ community. “I’m deeply sad to be leaving, but I’m really proud of the work my team and I did the past year.”

Meanwhile, Zach Stafford, editor-in-chief of The Advocate, resigned. News of the departures was first reported by Women’s Wear Daily.

Troubles at Pride are nothing new. Several months after Picardi joined, a major uproar ensued when freelancers at Out claimed they were owed tens of thousands of dollars. Oreva’s Levin insisted that many of the debts had been accumulated under past ownership and were not his responsibility. Picardi at one point threatened to resign if all freelancers weren’t paid. Eventually Levin worked out a settlement plan through the National Writers Union, where freelancers ended up getting paid while it pressed a lawsuit against the previous owner.

But while freelancers got paid, other financial problems apparently persisted. Nathan Coyle resigned suddenly as CEO in April and was succeeded by Reece.

Levin, who reportedly is in Puerto Rico, could not be reached for comment.

Yikes.

tho he is a terrible editor imo. From Teen Vogue to Out. The man was all hype.

Same here, no tears from me. I've enjoyed one issue under him and that was the Art issue. The rest of his issues were basically Twitter in magazine format. You can say what you want about Attitude's toxic body image or the overt campiness of Gay Times, but they run on very strong identities with diverse content.

Engaña revista a muxes

Apparently, Vogue Mexico offered the main cover to the muxe members and they are upset that this cover never happened. That's the problem with mexican magazines they play the inclusivity card just to get clicks in their website and some news in the media.

This doesn't reflect very well on Karla and it's the second time a story like this is making the rounds.! So Estrella eventually never got the main cover like she was promised, but a fold-out? What difference would it have made? At face value it would still be a beautifully styled image, not sure it would have mattered to the impulse buyer.

It seems Vogue Mexico promised them the cover to bait them into doing the shoot.

This doesn't reflect very well on Karla and it's the second time a story like this is making the rounds.! So Estrella eventually never got the main cover like she was promised, but a fold-out? What difference would it have made? At face value it would still be a beautifully styled image, not sure it would have mattered to the impulse buyer.

It seems Vogue Mexico promised them the cover to bait them into doing the shoot.

Too bad! which one was the first time???

Thanks for the Fabien interview, Benn. He simply makes common sense as to why the print industry is gasping its last breath. It astounds me how the majority of editors cannot see what logical people can.

And this from WWD should be printed and hung on every creative’s space as a reminder to what fascism does to individuality:

WWD: We can blame President Trump for a lot. But this is coming from woke cancel culture. It’s not coming from the Trump side.

^ I don't entirely disagree with this to be fair.

A lot of truths spoken in Fabien's interview with WWD. And as much as it's upsetting to hear that he won't be working in print anytime soon, he has a totally realistic perspective on magazines at the moment. I knew that when he left Interview it would be game over for my own interest in them.

Although I don't really understand how you can use magazines from the 50s-90s as a feasible contrast for the very recent and current issue of mediocrity that is permeating print in 2019. That has only been occurring in maybe the last decade or so and has been particularly exacerbated in the last few. I'm talking losing major readership, copies sitting on the newsstand and people not really being there anymore - in addition to the desperate ties to every and each social media platform.

Thanks Benn98 :flower:.

Sports Illustrated is rapidly disintegrating. If it can happen to an institution like SI, it can happen to any US mag..

wwd.com
Hearst’s Latest Tactic to Thwart Unionization Efforts
Sindhu Sundar
3-4 minutes
In addition to other union-thwarting tactics, Hearst Magazines executives have another aggressive trick up their sleeves to prevent staff from unionizing on a large scale.

At a National Labor Relations Board Thursday, representatives for Hearst were expected to argue that the bargaining unit should be broken up into six smaller unions instead of a single one encompassing hundreds of employees across 24 brands that include Esquire, Elle and Cosmopolitan, according to a series of tweets by the Hearst Magazines Media Union.

“They want us to be divided into six completely separate unions,” one of the tweets said. “In some cases, they split people working for the same magazine into two different groups. The other divisions would be by geography. There are also whole groups of us they don’t want to be able to vote at all.”

If successful, the strategy could complicate the unionization process by giving the company more avenues to try to dissuade workers from forming a union, and potentially prevent some staffers from being able to vote.

Many Hearst employees have opposed the move. Justin Kirkland, a staff writer at Esquire, was one of a number who have taken to social media to express their dismay at Hearst’s dealings with the unionization efforts.

“Six parts is not undivided — it’s a way to splinter a community that is very proud to stand in solidarity with one another. The rights of my colleagues in other departments are as important as mine. #HearstUndivided,” he tweeted.

A representative for Hearst did not immediately respond to request for comment on the dispute, or confirm if Troy Young, president of Hearst Magazines, attended Thursday’s hearing.

Ever since editorial, video, design, photo and social staff across 24 of New York-based Hearst’s digital and print brands revealed their intentions last month to unionize with the Writers Guild of America, East, executives have been trying to dissuade them, including by setting up an anti-union web site.

The media company’s refusal to recognize the union resulted in the Hearst Magazine Media Union filing for a union election with the federal NLRB, the federal agency that oversees disputes related to workplace organizing.

When management does not voluntarily recognize their employees’ move to join a union, the decision may come down to an NLRB-supervised election where employees can formally vote to unionize.

The NLRB was due to hear both sides’ arguments Thursday and help resolve the dispute on who can vote, and how. The vote would then take place within a month after the NLRB’s decision. In the meantime, Hearst is free to continue its campaign to dissuade workers from voting for the union.

What a mess

Sad, I thought she was doing such a great job with the digital content in recent years. Really pushed Vogue as a brand into a new territory.

All the OGs are slowly but surely leaving the magazine...

thecut.com
Sally Singer Leaves Vogue
Matthew Schneier

The upper echelons of Vogue are shifting once again: Sally Singer, the magazine’s creative digital director, is departing, the Cut has learned. Staffers were informed last week.

In the world of Vogue, Singer was a kind of bohemian counterweight to the ranks of the diaphanously fabulous. Her literary bona fides — she previously, famously, worked at the London Review of Books — didn’t telegraph “Vogue” clearly enough to bear easy caricaturing in The Devil Wears Prada. She preferred cowboy boots, was an early adopter of Batsheva Hay’s frumpy-chic prairie dresses, and lived until recently at the Chelsea Hotel.

And yet Singer was a Vogue stalwart, who joined the magazine in 1999 — after a brief stint at New York Magazine, where she introduced readers to the not-yet-mononymic model Gisele. Except for a two-year tenure editing T: The New York Times Style Magazine from 2010–2012, Singer had worked at Vogue since 1999. (Her T, while it lasted, was grittier, younger, and more literary than Stefano Tonchi’s glossy, megabucks version, which made it a tougher sell to the luxury advertisers who were its lifeblood.)

“Sally and I have been talking about this for some time,” said Anna Wintour, the editor-in-chief of Vogue and the artistic director of Condé Nast. “She’s ready for a change, and as sad as I am as a colleague and as a friend to lose her, I am so excited to see what she does next. She is nothing less than a creative force and her contributions to the world of Vogue — print, digital, video and everything else — have been immeasurable.”

Singer declined to comment.

Singer had been the magazine’s fashion features-news director, championing young designers and midwifing careers over several generations of fashion’s high-turnover cycle. When she returned to the magazine, in 2012, it was as creative digital director, and she was given a broad mandate to make the website a must-visit. During her tenure, Vogue absorbed Style.com, the Condé Nast–owned runway website which had, for years, run Vogue’s online content as well as independent content of its own. Vogue made inroads into video, transforming its best-of-the-season picks into surreal short films starring the Hadids or the models of the moment, and shoehorning Celine Dion into couture when the season had barely concluded. The magazine has branched out on new digital platforms; 25.5 million people currently follow it on Instagram.

Though many powerful gatekeepers in fashion have passed through the halls of Vogue or its little sister, Teen Vogue — including Amy Astley, the editor-in-chief of Architectural Digest, a Wintour protégée; Samira Nasr, the fashion director of Vanity Fair; Eva Chen, the director of fashion partnerships at Instagram; and Phillip Picardi, until last week the editor-in-chief of Out — the top of the mothership’s masthead had remained remarkably resistant to change until recently. Grace Coddington, one of Wintour’s first hires when she arrived at Vogue in 1988, moved to an at-large position in 2016; Tonne Goodman, its longtime fashion director, and Phyllis Posnick, its former executive fashion editor, who predated even Wintour at Vogue, switched to contributing positions last year.

Meanwhile, a new hire to run the website was announced today following The Cut’s initial report: Stuart Emmrich will be the new editor of Vogue.com, a different position from Singer’s. According to a press release, he will oversee all digital content, and report directly to Wintour. Emmrich, a veteran of the New York Times, ran its Styles section for seven years before decamping for the L.A. Times in 2018. (Disclosure: I worked for the Styles section of the New York Times from 2014–2019.) Emmrich resigned from that paper, and that coast, in September.

xw8xM983.jpg-medium.jpeg
From Stuart Emmrich's twitter account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"