The Business of Magazines

Omg. She just left the position of fashion director for this? I don’t understand...

Didn’t she leave Vogue together with Phyllis back in 2018? Then came back as contributing editor?

I also love how they kept mum about it. No press release.

No wonder she’s taking part of the PR rounds for the January issue

Why so cynical? At least their trying to do something about sustainability... would it be better if they kept pretending nothing existed?!

Didn’t she leave Vogue together with Phyllis back in 2018? Then came back as contributing editor?

I also love how they kept mum about it. No press release.

No wonder she’s taking part of the PR rounds for the January issue
She left and became contributing editor, made all the covers since then. Now is back at this crazy position

British Vogue‘s creative director Johan Svensson leaving, with the current February issue being his last:

Thank God. He’s terrible!!!
He was CD of Vogue Paris under Carine, right?

Yes. Its exactly why UK Vogue feels like mix of a cheaper version of Carine’s VP and W Magazine.

Not bothered by his departure whatsoever. He brought nothing to the magazine. Excited for a better creative director. This is one area where UK Vogue is seriously behind.

But as @Melancholybaby has predicted, nepotism will be at the forefront of this succession

Yes. Its exactly why UK Vogue feels like mix of a cheaper version of Carine’s VP and W Magazine.

Not bothered by his departure whatsoever. He brought nothing to the magazine. Excited for a better creative director. This is one area where UK Vogue is seriously behind.

But as @Melancholybaby has predicted, nepotism will be at the forefront of this succession
My dream is Karl Templer

Personally, I am still set on Avril Mair or someone else from Hearst taking over from Justine - and the magazine not moving on much from what it is now. Someone mentioned Carine Roitfeld taking over, but I think that is unlikely with Roitfeld already between Paris and New York.

Given that it's January and we've heard no more news about who's taking over at UK Bazaar... Avril Mair featured a lot in the new issue of Bazaar, which made me wonder if she's the contender.

Oh God no, please. Not Carine! I love the woman, but this job needs a businesswoman, a journalist, someone attuned to English culture. There's nothing remotely English about her and she's got very few ties to the country. Of course, there's Tisci.
Justine's replacement will be English or at least someone based here. Has to be. She's done a spectacular (or awful, if you're asking the likes of @Melancholybaby or @Miss Dalloway ) job of steering this magazine away from Lucy's HF set and more to the moneyed upper-class society, and in the process awoke a sense of fantasy and mysticism which I never imagined would ever return. I would go so far as the say that the Harper's reader from Lucy's era moved along years ago after they've caught on that the only bit of scraps which got thrown their way each month was a front section editorial so lacking in imagination that it made H&M's campaigns look novel. So whoever will take over must either raze this magazine to the ground and build from scratch or continue where Justine left off. An in-betweener won't make any impact.

It's a real pity Jo took on that job at FT. She would have been my first choice.

I'm more concerned about Town & Country. Justine was the launch editor there and I doubt a new direction would wash well. Then again, look at how Dennen is winning at Tatler.

Carine needs to stay away from magazines for the time being.

He is the CEO of L'officiel Italia...

They promised him a big check he will never get as L'Officiel is known for not paying people.

“The rules of the game are changing…we have to define our positions,” Tonchi said. “Nothing is what it used to be.”

I wouldn’t underestimate him. As editor he globalized The New York Times
T Style brand. Tonchi is an excellent curator. He’s a visionary type so he should be able to coordinate the global voice of L’Officiel. It will be interesting to see how he does it with both print and web. Tonchi has always been one of my favorite editors. I wish him the best.

They promised him a big check he will never get as L'Officiel is known for not paying people.

I've never heard of that....this problem (the no paying) is in all the countries? or just Italia. It's difficult to picture Stefano not getting his money after his dramatic exit at Condenast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->