The Business of Magazines

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Cicciolina, Mar 7, 2008.

1. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

This is quite embarrassing for Melania, and I don't think she's a reliable source here. Her "they don't like me because they're jealous" statement really paints a clear picture of how delusional this woman is. And everyone in this family is so press-hungry, there is absolutely no way on earth she wouldn't play ball with Vogue. Except that, of course, she's clearly lying and they didn't, in fact, suggest she'd get a cover. In the same breath she's both claiming she doesn't care about magazines/has rejected Vogue and also venting frustration that Vogue "will never do that" (re: giving her a cover). Make it make sense. Her husband sat down for hours and hours of interviews with Bob Woodward, for crying out loud. The lot of them will take every interview//cover/feature they're offered.

And yeah, Stephanie is pure trash and unless she actually has some newsworthy recordings, I wish CNN and the rest wouldn't give her a platform.

2. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

what do you mean with the last parragraph? Can you explain please? Thanks!

3. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Someone sent an email to some executives at CN China including Angelica cheung about Paco Tang doing corruption but not clear evidence of it.
    There was also some sexual harrasment so many people left.

Many articles available if you want to know more like jing daily.

Xone and GERGIN like this.
  4. MON

MON Well-Known Member

It's just a cry for attention at this point.

5. VBE

VBE Member

Are there any magazines left other than Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle and their many many international editions?

6. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! Good 2021 for you!

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  7. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Anyone know about the printing of independent magazines in Europe? I’ve heard they do it in China?, any names or useful info please? Thanks a lot...Healthy 2021 everyone!

8. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

I'm not sure that the printing of smaller circulation magazines in China would be cost-effective for distribution in Europe. There would be a tariff on each one imported into the country.

Book publishers do print in China for China for export to the US and other country.

Xone likes this.
  9. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Lindsay Peoples Wagner left Teen Vogue to became EIC of the cut

10. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Thank you! Yeah i thought so but i was curious cause independent magazines with little or no ads they keep releasing issues...so i thought maybe there was a way to do a cheap printing

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Huge loss for them. Her name alone kept TeenVogue on everyone's radar.

12. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Why is even Teen Vogue a thing??

caioherrero and THD96 like this.
  13. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

wwd.com

Benn98, MON and GivenchyAddict like this.
  14. MON

MON Well-Known Member

My goodness me, just get someone with a strong vision.

Angelica, despite my strong dislike of her recent work, HAD a very strong vision. She knew the market and led it. She was respected and will be remembered for that. She’ll surely go down as one of the formidable editors of Vogue. And the fact that her next move is LVMH? Very telling of that.

I don’t wanna see big names. I want to see a risk-taker and someone who will deliver. Someone who will break the norm and gamble it. These bigger names tend to use the magazine as something to fill their egos, nothing more nothing less.

And the first name listed? Goodness, really? It looks more of a partnership than employment.

Alex Sun looks good though, my type. But experience wise? CN could do better.

And for goodness sake CN, ENOUGH with the “the future is male” narrative. Gender has nothing to do with taste. Vogue Italia can attest to that. Of all the male appointees for Vogue, only Edward delivered. And that’s coming from someone who is constantly overwhelmed with Edward’s work.

Benn98 and caioherrero like this.
  15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I don't think Fan Bingbing needed much 'persuading' to appear on that cover....

Filling this position will be like filling Anna's role at US Vogue, it won't be easy. They can't just look for a creative person, must be someone with a business mind who would be able to juggle all those advertisers. And it will have to be a Chinese person with presence in the Mainland. The same way the editor of UK Vogue had to be English. It's just one of those things. Just look at the response to the Kendall cover and that's just a cover. Now imagine a serious role like the EIC. America is the only country where a foreign editor can run an American magazine without backlash.

Anna is wasting her time with those Singapore, Taiwan and HK candidates, VC readers won't accept them.

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  16. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Thing is, I don’t even believe this to be true. At the dawn of the everything pro-China sentiment, I highly doubt they’re even considering a Singaporean/Taiwanese/HK editor. Lol, nice try CN.

I just hope it’s a formidable editor.

With regard to the US Foreign editor, I still believe that we’re at a point in time that CN US will choose a pro-American stance.

17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Again, know you think it will be a woman but Edward ticks this box as well, lol. Remember last month's Biden coverline? Plus he has clout with America's biggest pop stars who already appear on his covers. It's really a no-brainer. He'd just be better there!

Speaking of foreign editors, I wonder how VP readers responded to JJB at the time? Such an interesting tenure because I don't think of JJB as very fashion-forward yet she ran the most fashion-forward magazine in the world. LOL. I know after she left everyone said that VP was 'too intellectual' which in magazine speak is usually code for someone who focuses more on written than fashion content, lol.

caioherrero likes this.
  18. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I liked JJB's version of French Vogue, where having an interest in fashion wasn't frivolous, it was part of being well-informed about cultural matters in general.

That said, I have a soft spot for the magazines produced under the editorship previous to that, under Colombe Pringle, they seem so formal and serious and ancien régime in terms of what magazines are like today. That period was my introduction to the edition, and I still remember the awe of a teenager being introduced to a whole new world through the pages of that magazine.

Benn98 and mikel like this.
  19. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

I read the Vogue China article it seems like a big task to do, im wondering how CN find those candidates? I don’t think through normal channels right? It’s more like people who are working on other magazines...

i agree with MON would like to see an Editor with a great sensibility of the chinese market and not just throw a Kendall cover.

20. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Why not the editor of bazaar or Elle China?