The Business of Magazines

So Vogue actually reached out to her for a profile, and followed up with her 2 months later, adding that 'it might be a cover'? :sick::sick::sick:

Also, with friends like this Stephanie woman, who needs enemies?

This is quite embarrassing for Melania, and I don't think she's a reliable source here. Her "they don't like me because they're jealous" statement really paints a clear picture of how delusional this woman is. And everyone in this family is so press-hungry, there is absolutely no way on earth she wouldn't play ball with Vogue. Except that, of course, she's clearly lying and they didn't, in fact, suggest she'd get a cover. In the same breath she's both claiming she doesn't care about magazines/has rejected Vogue and also venting frustration that Vogue "will never do that" (re: giving her a cover). Make it make sense. Her husband sat down for hours and hours of interviews with Bob Woodward, for crying out loud. The lot of them will take every interview//cover/feature they're offered.

And yeah, Stephanie is pure trash and unless she actually has some newsworthy recordings, I wish CNN and the rest wouldn't give her a platform.

^ CN wants to get more money to repair the mess they did the past few years. And well as the whole industry they can only rely on the Chinese. Because they buy clothes, they buy magazine unlike.. us i would say.

I am tired of how China is still considered the cash cow by most of the industry.

But besides that, corruption was very present at CN China. It was a matter of time for Paco Tang. Covid 19 just delayed his departure I think.

what do you mean with the last parragraph? Can you explain please? Thanks!

Someone sent an email to some executives at CN China including Angelica cheung about Paco Tang doing corruption but not clear evidence of it.
There was also some sexual harrasment so many people left.

Many articles available if you want to know more like jing daily.

This is quite embarrassing for Melania, and I don't think she's a reliable source here. Her "they don't like me because they're jealous" statement really paints a clear picture of how delusional this woman is. And everyone in this family is so press-hungry, there is absolutely no way on earth she wouldn't play ball with Vogue. Except that, of course, she's clearly lying and they didn't, in fact, suggest she'd get a cover. In the same breath she's both claiming she doesn't care about magazines/has rejected Vogue and also venting frustration that Vogue "will never do that" (re: giving her a cover). Make it make sense. Her husband sat down for hours and hours of interviews with Bob Woodward, for crying out loud. The lot of them will take every interview//cover/feature they're offered.

And yeah, Stephanie is pure trash and unless she actually has some newsworthy recordings, I wish CNN and the rest wouldn't give her a platform.

It's just a cry for attention at this point.

Are there any magazines left other than Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle and their many many international editions?

Someone sent an email to some executives at CN China including Angelica cheung about Paco Tang doing corruption but not clear evidence of it.
There was also some sexual harrasment so many people left.

Many articles available if you want to know more like jing daily.

Thank you very much! Good 2021 for you!

Anyone know about the printing of independent magazines in Europe? I’ve heard they do it in China?, any names or useful info please? Thanks a lot...Healthy 2021 everyone!

Anyone know about the printing of independent magazines in Europe? I’ve heard they do it in China?, any names or useful info please? Thanks a lot...Healthy 2021 everyone!

I'm not sure that the printing of smaller circulation magazines in China would be cost-effective for distribution in Europe. There would be a tariff on each one imported into the country.

Book publishers do print in China for China for export to the US and other country.

I'm not sure that the printing of smaller circulation magazines in China would be cost-effective for distribution in Europe. There would be a tariff on each one imported into the country.

Book publishers do print in China for China for export to the US and other country.

Thank you! Yeah i thought so but i was curious cause independent magazines with little or no ads they keep releasing issues...so i thought maybe there was a way to do a cheap printing

What Will Chinese Fashion Publishing Look Like in 2021?
by Tianwei Zhang

LONDON — A round of changes at Condé Nast last year, which included the exit of Vogue China’s founding editor Angelica Cheung, Condé Nast China president Sophia Liao and group publisher Paco Tang, has had profound impact on how the Chinese fashion media landscape will look in 2021 and beyond.

It is the first time in 16 years that someone else besides Cheung, who was generally regarded as the most powerful person in the Chinese fashion industry, will take the lead in the fast-changing Chinese fashion publishing market, where brands are gearing up to allocate a big chunk of advertising spend this year.

There are rumors floating about Cheung potentially joining LVMH China or launching her own label. And sources told WWD that Anna Wintour, who was promoted to chief content officer at the company in December, has been interviewing editor in chief-type candidates in Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan for Cheung’s replacement.

Many in mainland China see this as a worrying sign that the new editorial director of Vogue China, who will be reporting to Wintour, may not be able to keep up with the pace and direction China’s publishing sector is heading.

In recent years, China has moved away from Hollywood, K-Pop or even the Western fashion system, and has created a unique ecosystem that caters to Chinese consumers’ increasing demand for local celebrities and a resurgence of Chinese aesthetic that reflects their own identity.

Putting international supermodels on the cover of a magazine, which was a selling point for Vogue China at the beginning, no longer resonates as strongly with the audience. The magazine’s February issue, the first one under Wintour’s direction, featuring Kendall Jenner wearing a Gucci floral dress in a garden on the cover, was met with criticism on both Instagram and China’s microblogging site Weibo.

Weibo user Zhengpailicha said he would cancel the magazine subscription because of this abrupt change in visual direction, while fashion influencer Fashion_Bangz, with 4.31 million followers on Weibo, commented “oops……” on Vogue China’s post.

One editor that many are looking to fill the power vacuum is Chuxuan Feng, the founder of Huasheng Media. The group is the publisher of the Chinese editions of T Magazine, The New York Times Travel Magazine, Kinfolk, WSJ. Magazine, Wallpaper, Nylon, Drift and Fathers Magazine, has played a crucial role in the emergence of the China-centric aesthetic by collaborating with local creative talents, such as photographer Leslie Zhang, stylist Jeff Li and Audrey Hu, on productions, as well as putting a mix of local actors, directors, influencers and advocates of the covers to generate buzz on social media.

For example, T Magazine China was the first magazine to convince actress Fan Bingbing, who has made a strong comeback in 2020 from her tax evasion scandal, to appear on the cover together with her little brother Fan Chengcheng, who is a member of the popular boy band NEX7, wearing outfits from Loewe’s spring 2021 collection. The Weibo hashtag of them appearing on the same cover recorded 43 million views.

“The print publications are only part of the fashion media matrix, and a large part of the Chinese readers start to know about the publications through social media, offline events, videos and creative projects these days,” Feng told WWD.

“I have always believed that the quality of content is the foundation of any successful publication. Through fashion publications, Chinese readers no longer see it as a catalogue or a shopping list, or a place to read success stories. You have Tmall or Xiaohongshu for that. What they are looking for now is in-depth reporting, or more specialized content, such as a story about a kind of exquisite fabric, or an explainer of the cultural logic behind consumer products,” he added.

In 2021, Feng believes that the biggest challenge in the industry will continue to be how to deliver resonating content across all platforms, including print, Weibo, WeChat, TikTok’s Chinese version Douyin, social commerce platform Xiaohongshu and video community Bilibili.

While some media outlets attribute the demise of the influence of print publications in China to the rise of influencers, such as Gogoboi, Mr. Bags, Austin Li, and Rita Wang, Feng said their relationship with print media is in fact more aligned than in the West, and both are playing key roles in the market.

On top of creating more memorable moments for the Chinese fashion community, such as the well-received January-February issue of Wallpaper China, featuring Chinese model Zhao Lei and Du Juan on the cover, photographed by Leslie Zhang, while catering to luxury brands’ desire to effectively influence the consumers, the company also has plans to expand beyond publishing.

It opened a bookstore specializing in architecture and design at Aranya Art Center in Qinhuangdao, a popular coastal city in Hebei province where affluent Beijing residents escape to for weekend getaways. This year, it plans to open specialty bookstores for children, art galleries in universities, a boutique hotel and invest in a European perfume brand.

As COVID-19 rocked most of the power players in China, including Modern Media, Hearst and Condé Nast, Huasheng Media has taken in a number of media veterans to spearhead the development of its media brands. To name a few, Anita Chang, a founding member of both Condé Nast Taiwan and China divisions, joined the company as chief operating officer. Baojian Li, former publisher of Vogue China and fashion director at Elle China, took on the role of group editorial director, general manager and editor in chief of WSJ. Magazine China, and Anson Chen, former fashion director at GQ China, is now its fashion director and deputy editor.

A former employee for a decade at Lifestyle Media, the publisher of the Chinese edition of Madame Figaro, So Figaro, Wonderland and OK Magazine, Feng secured financial support from Ruigang Li, founder of China Media Capital, one of the largest media conglomerates in China with strong ties to Beijing, and launched Huasheng Media in 2017. Feng also holds the position of vice president at the parent company.

Another standout in the turbulent landscape in 2020 was the Chinese edition of Marie Claire. With former Condé Nast Traveler China editorial director and GQ China lifestyle director Alex Sun taking up the role of editor in chief, the magazine, which was sold to China’s largest apparel brand Heilan Home and a group of private investors from Hearst China in 2018, managed to continue building a distinctive visual narrative while staying true to the needs of a new generation of modern Chinese women.
wwd.com

My goodness me, just get someone with a strong vision.

Angelica, despite my strong dislike of her recent work, HAD a very strong vision. She knew the market and led it. She was respected and will be remembered for that. She’ll surely go down as one of the formidable editors of Vogue. And the fact that her next move is LVMH? Very telling of that.

I don’t wanna see big names. I want to see a risk-taker and someone who will deliver. Someone who will break the norm and gamble it. These bigger names tend to use the magazine as something to fill their egos, nothing more nothing less.

And the first name listed? Goodness, really? It looks more of a partnership than employment.

Alex Sun looks good though, my type. But experience wise? CN could do better.

And for goodness sake CN, ENOUGH with the “the future is male” narrative. Gender has nothing to do with taste. Vogue Italia can attest to that. Of all the male appointees for Vogue, only Edward delivered. And that’s coming from someone who is constantly overwhelmed with Edward’s work.

I don't think Fan Bingbing needed much 'persuading' to appear on that cover....

Filling this position will be like filling Anna's role at US Vogue, it won't be easy. They can't just look for a creative person, must be someone with a business mind who would be able to juggle all those advertisers. And it will have to be a Chinese person with presence in the Mainland. The same way the editor of UK Vogue had to be English. It's just one of those things. Just look at the response to the Kendall cover and that's just a cover. Now imagine a serious role like the EIC. America is the only country where a foreign editor can run an American magazine without backlash.

Anna is wasting her time with those Singapore, Taiwan and HK candidates, VC readers won't accept them.

Anna is wasting her time with those Singapore, Taiwan and HK candidates, VC readers won't accept them.

Thing is, I don’t even believe this to be true. At the dawn of the everything pro-China sentiment, I highly doubt they’re even considering a Singaporean/Taiwanese/HK editor. Lol, nice try CN.

I just hope it’s a formidable editor.

With regard to the US Foreign editor, I still believe that we’re at a point in time that CN US will choose a pro-American stance.

With regard to the US Foreign editor, I still believe that we’re at a point in time that CN US will choose a pro-American stance.

Again, know you think it will be a woman but Edward ticks this box as well, lol. Remember last month's Biden coverline? Plus he has clout with America's biggest pop stars who already appear on his covers. It's really a no-brainer. He'd just be better there!

Speaking of foreign editors, I wonder how VP readers responded to JJB at the time? Such an interesting tenure because I don't think of JJB as very fashion-forward yet she ran the most fashion-forward magazine in the world. LOL. I know after she left everyone said that VP was 'too intellectual' which in magazine speak is usually code for someone who focuses more on written than fashion content, lol.

I liked JJB's version of French Vogue, where having an interest in fashion wasn't frivolous, it was part of being well-informed about cultural matters in general.

That said, I have a soft spot for the magazines produced under the editorship previous to that, under Colombe Pringle, they seem so formal and serious and ancien régime in terms of what magazines are like today. That period was my introduction to the edition, and I still remember the awe of a teenager being introduced to a whole new world through the pages of that magazine.

I read the Vogue China article it seems like a big task to do, im wondering how CN find those candidates? I don’t think through normal channels right? It’s more like people who are working on other magazines...

i agree with MON would like to see an Editor with a great sensibility of the chinese market and not just throw a Kendall cover.

I read the Vogue China article it seems like a big task to do, im wondering how CN find those candidates? I don’t think through normal channels right? It’s more like people who are working on other magazines...

i agree with MON would like to see an Editor with a great sensibility of the chinese market and not just throw a Kendall cover.
Why not the editor of bazaar or Elle China?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florencie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->