The Business of Magazines

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Cicciolina, Mar 7, 2008.

1. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

All this editions will be running with no territory leadership just a regional? How this will work? It doesn’t make any sense.

2. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

I sure do hope not! My guessing is that despite all these editors departing Vogue, the main editors of the mega titles (like French and Italian Vogue) will remain in their roles for the foreseeable future. There's no way a magazine like Vogue Paris could be ran remotely.

3. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

Hearst selling Marie Claire to London-based Future Media

Guessing this is bad news for MC in print

4. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

I think it's mainly bad news for print magazines worldwide anyways; and it has been the case for years now and let's add the Pandemic to the mix which clearly hasn't helped to boost the sales. Clearly magazines are closing left and right and not just the indie ones, the big international editions of Elle, GQ, Marie Claire, Cosmo and so on. Vogue will remain for a while but afterwards (ESPECIALLY NOW with that bold move to unite contents and editors of many countries and editions) some Vogue will close: watch it. It will happen.

5. WeberFanatic

WeberFanatic Active Member

Everyone will be sharing content. Stories will be done at this tropical locations by let’s say Emma Summerton and a vogue UK editor. Money will spent and they’ll do let’s say 30 pages of content and then the international mags can piece together their own narrative from the tear sheets to produce their own stories with unique layouts and with one or two unique images that per publication has rights to. To make the story “exclusive”, a sad sign of the times to try to be cost efficient and also pretend that everyone is unified. Saying as a front how these smaller titles deserve larger talents inside to promote visibility.

6. caioherrero

So they will kill all editions. I hope it doesn’t effect the big four.

7. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Is there an article to read? Can you post it? Thanks

8. JPineapple

JPineapple Well-Known Member

Xone likes this.
  9. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Meet the first Black woman to be editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar

10. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Dylan IS leaving GQ. August issue will be his last.

11. conspicuousconsumer

^^ oh my goodness....have mercy...heaven help us...crying? Seriously?....Harper’s bazaar is doomed. Just pack it all up now. The magazine had a good run. I just can’t even.

liberty33r1b and tigerrouge like this.
  12. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict Well-Known Member

Benn98 likes this.
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Dear God, this is awful news. Many on here probably won't care much, but for UK GQ to exist as it currently does - a print magazine with website-style writeups and layout but WITH the rich journalism..... and featuring talked about subjects across the globe? There are no peers, not in the UK nor elsewhere. His GQ is not only profitable but also respected.

I don't think they'll turn this magazine into the US edition because plainly put the UK audiences don't have those tastes. We are too steeped in tradition.
    So I'm hoping they'll just continue in Dylan's direction? But I mean.....

[​IMG]

Giphy

14. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

For me, the age of fashion magazines is over. It was always in a slow decline, but then Covid came along and stamped out whatever embers were left, and now all the old names are leaving to be replaced by mediocre editors whose only concern (mainly to keep their jobs) is regurgitating current fashions in thought, while the clothes go mouldy in the closet. Meanwhile, the one person most responsible for the whitewashing we’ve seen on the pages over the past few decades is still in charge, and has managed to ascend even higher in recent times.

15. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

^Agree, I only believe in supplements such as M Le monde, T, WSJ, How To Spend It, etc.

They are not solely dependent on fashion advertisers and more creative freedom. The fashion approach is much more interesting than the regular fashion magazines. Those same supplements you can get your women's and men's editorials.

CN is doing wrong decisions after wrong decisions since the day they decided to ditch style.com

Xone, YohjiAddict and THD96 like this.
  16. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Just in: Hearst Netherlands, the Dutch publisher of Vogue, Vogue Living and Glamour will stop publishing those three titles because of a reorganisation. The reorganisation still needs to be approved by the works council though. That’s expected to happen by the end of the month. Conde Nast is looking for a new publisher to publish those titles.

For a statement (in Dutch) you can check hearst.nl.

caioherrero and MissMagAddict like this.
  17. aracic

aracic Moderator

This thread gets rapidly more depressing every time I open it. This is insane!

18. tipi1355

tipi1355 Active Member

MagFan likes this.
  19. Serend1pity

Serend1pity Well-Known Member

Really feel for all these editors. I think many will end up working in a consultancy tcapavity to businesses - magazines are dead

20. caioherrero

Omg, this is sad.