The Business of Magazines

maybe the magazine really is shutting down?

Vogue Paris Editor in Chief Set to be Axed as Condé Nast Culls Europe Teams

Looks like Alt is out along with the French GQ editor and Vanity Fair France editor.

What? No! How utterly disturbing that the only great editor is getting fired, it's blasphemous. I am in complete disbelief!! What on earth are they (re)organizing? Their own funeral? Please. Give the chop to Anna and the editors that are actually crappy at their job, whose idea was it to lose the one that's actually good at what they do?

God, what a devastating period for Vogue.

Dear God, this is awful news. Many on here probably won't care much, but for UK GQ to exist as it currently does - a print magazine with website-style writeups and layout but WITH the rich journalism..... and featuring talked about subjects across the globe? There are no peers, not in the UK nor elsewhere. His GQ is not only profitable but also respected.

I don't think they'll turn this magazine into the US edition because plainly put the UK audiences don't have those tastes. We are too steeped in tradition.
So I'm hoping they'll just continue in Dylan's direction? But I mean.....

GQ will be led globally by American GQ editor Will Welch while Adam Baidawi, previously editor of GQ Middle East, has been named as his deputy and will move to London to take up the role. The brand currently has about 20 international editions.
source | pressgazette

On the bright side. The one good thing that might end up coming out of this would be Farnetti's exit.

Between here's the full article on Emmanuel Alt:

Vogue Paris Editor in Chief Set to be Axed as Condé Nast Culls Europe Teams

LONDON — Condé Nast is chopping and changing its mastheads across Europe, with France the next country to witness a series of high-profile exits following that of Dylan Jones, editor in chief of British GQ.

Industry sources said three top editors are set to lose their jobs as part of a reorganization of Condé’s structure worldwide.

Editors in chief Emmanuelle Alt of Vogue Paris and Olivier Lalanne, of the French edition of GQ, are set to exit, as is Joseph Ghosn, editorial director of Vanity Fair France. WWD has reached out to Condé Nast for comment.

As reported last week, job losses are in the pipeline at Condé Nast U.K. as part of a broader strategy set by Roger Lynch, Condé Nast’s chief executive officer. He has been seeking to streamline the company overall and to integrate the U.S. and international businesses as part of an ongoing turnaround plan.

Alt has been with Vogue Paris for more than two decades, and began her career there working alongside her predecessor Carine Roitfeld. She was named editor in chief in 2011.

Lalanne joined GQ last summer, having previously worked with Roitfeld and Alt at Vogue Paris. He also spent part of his Condé career at the head of Vogue Hommes International.

For the February issue of the magazine, he put Simon Porte Jacquemus, Roschdy Zem and Ichon on three separate covers of the magazine. The issue was meant to set a new “design and focus for the publication.”

Ghosn succeeded Anne Boulay as head of Vanity Fair in 2018. His title was editorial director.

The first high-profile exit in the U.K. is Dylan Jones, who has confirmed that the August 2021 issue of Britsh GQ will be his last. He said he had a “brilliant time” working for Condé for the past 22 years.

A Condé Nast U.K. spokesperson said last week that as the company continues “to bring together our European business and transform our global operations, we are entering into a collective consultation process to evolve some of our teams, roles and capabilities. We are fully committed to supporting employees during this time.”

As reported, some, but not all, editorial and commercial teams in the U.K. will be impacted by the planned cuts, including AD, GQ, Wired, Vogue and CN Traveller.

Condé’s overarching aim is to grow its titles’ audiences globally, and to build local stories into the globally distributed content. As part of that strategy it has centralized global control of each of its titles on one editor in either the U.S. or U.K., which resulted in a stream of longtime Condé editors in chiefs in several European countries heading for the exit.

Im all for the departure of Alt but the end of VP is quite shocking! It’s a flagship title and considering that the biggest advertisers are French, I wonder why destroy such a force!

In the French landscape, Vogue is the biggest title or at least the most iconic. There’s literally no equivalent here so I’m kinda puzzled...

But it’s fair to say that the 100th anniversary issue will be her last I guess.

While I understand the idea of consolidating and sharing costs for shared editorials, etc, etc, blah blah

Practically speaking what does this mean for cover choices? Will Edward be approving all of them in Europe? Leslie in Asia? Will there be less local content? Surely they still need someone to tailor each edition to the local audience since I cannot imagine that either editor has a firm pulse on what is happening in each country.

Someone mentioned that the Vogues that publish through a license will be unscathed. Can someone compile a list of these?

While I understand the idea of consolidating and sharing costs for shared editorials, etc, etc, blah blah

Practically speaking what does this mean for cover choices? Will Edward be approving all of them in Europe? Leslie in Asia? Will there be less local content? Surely they still need someone to tailor each edition to the local audience since I cannot imagine that either editor has a firm pulse on what is happening in each country.

Someone mentioned that the Vogues that publish through a license will be unscathed. Can someone compile a list of these?
In Asia, Vogue Korea, HK, Thailand and Singapore

Did they say out loud their plan while briefing? Because I did and it sounded stupid and ridiculous.

Basically a bunch of European Vogue editions without an EIC but just Edward Enninful at the top. This latter supervising a list of editors. He will be focused on having the best content for his Vogue and then scatter some crappy leftovers to the others.

Vogue Paris needs full force and glory. This situation just shows that losing money makes people even dumber than they usually were.

Emmanuelle will be insanely busy by being freelance I have no doubt. I can see her doing Chanel, Lonchamp, Marant, Celine, Bidermann, Chloé and so on.

P.S : Poor Lalanne doing some improvements at GQ just to be axed few months later.

What is this news?! This is insane, I can't express how shocked I am with what's happening. I mean, we all knew things were going bad, but this bad? Quality and individualism in the fashion world are officially over.

Did they say out loud their plan while briefing? Because I did and it sounded stupid and ridiculous.

Basically a bunch of European Vogue editions without an EIC but just Edward Enninful at the top. This latter supervising a list of editors. He will be focused on having the best content for his Vogue and then scatter some crappy leftovers to the others.

Vogue Paris needs full force and glory. This situation just shows that losing money makes people even dumber than they usually were.

Emmanuelle will be insanely busy by being freelance I have no doubt. I can see her doing Chanel, Lonchamp, Marant, Celine, Bidermann, Chloé and so on.

P.S : Poor Lalanne doing some improvements at GQ just to be axed few months later.
You forgot that Edward and Leslie is regional under Anna, so the money is with her.

Somehow I'm not surprised by all these changes, but it's still sad to see them becoming a reality...

For me fashion mags definitively died when Fabien finally gave Interview the sack (after not receiving any payment for over a decade, I mean...) and I can totally see why people like him so heavily associated with the print realm are now embedding themselves at huge international powerhouse brands like Zara, where the money (and creative freedom) is. No doubt some of these editors may follow in this direction and we may see even more of a trickle up effect from mega brands.

Emmanuelle for Missguided? Farneti for Primark :lol:?

So devastating....and the Newhouses are just going to let this happen. And what happens when Anna Wintour croaks? This is really putting to much power and not to mention work load onto one person.
It looks like Hearst is not doing this? So far? The problem is magazines gave in to the digital world to easily. Should have demanded from designer houses back in 2007/2008 to not let bloggers into the shows. And limit online coverage. So many other things they could do or should have done. Bunch of nitwit blankety blanks. Are we allowed to curse on here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->