The Business of Magazines

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Cicciolina, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

Alt's Vogue Paris vision was boring, repetitive and way too jeans focused LOL so I'm happy they fired her. Just this sentence alone clearly shows what I think: ''A noted fashion stylist, Alt was named editor-in-chief in 2011 when she succeeded Carine Roitfeld, after spending seven years as her deputy. However, her tenure was more noted for its longevity than its creativity. In fact, both Roitfeld and the previous incumbent, Joan Juliet Buck, were seen to have edited far more visionary magazines.''

However I agree: it's shocking to see someone as talent-less like Farneti stay over good editors of Vogue international editions. I have to say though this new transformation of Vogue titles across the world is interesting to watch. I have said it MANY TIMES: the future of print is not bright and I am sure many Vogue titles will disappear forever with this new CEO's plan.

2. Rigida

Rigida Well-Known Member

What Conde does is dramatic but it's inevitable. Print magazine is like CDs/DVDs now.. over time it will become obsolete and only become a niche product. They can't keep the old business model. I believe they already have long term plan for this. Previously it was print first then digital (with print content appeared on their website weeks after the magazine is released), now its the other way around.. we already see the print magazine contents on their website even before the magazine hits the news stand.

I feel that over time, they will start closing the regional Vogue (or other titles) websites too.. and in the end they will only have like 1 or 2 "Main" Vogue website (presumably US Vogue and Vogue China) with all global contents consolidated into one website.

It's sad.. i'm not even sure if we are still going to see any print issues of Conde titles in the next decade, the days of their print products is certainly numbered.

3. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

EIC of Porter Magazine Sarah Bailey will leave the magazine to join Vogue Greece.

GERGIN and gunsnroses like this.
  4. thekijken

thekijken New Member

she was doing a good job, printed Porter used to be a very readable magazine. you can tell by how many ppl are requesting the magazine to be printed again in the comment section

#6204 thekijken, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  5. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Left Net a porter for a International at large job in Vogue Greece, are they paying more?

6. aracic

aracic Moderator

Not sure how much of a score this is conisdering the whole CN Europe thing, but Porter Magazine truly was amazing. Can't say I'm too familiar with the contents of Vogue Greece, but they do produce interesting covers/cover stories that we see on here and I'd love to see what else they have to offer - especially now.

7. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

In other CN news

Condé Nast plans September return to 1WTC amid rent dispute

8. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

Stefano Tonchi, Condé Nast Lawsuit Update – WWD

9. conspicuousconsumer

^My goodness how the mighty have fallen...and quite sad really.
    Are the Newhouses on drugs or incapacitated? You spend over $2 billion on random junk companies but can’t take care of a $10 million bill for your most important asset not to mention a pantheon of cultural legacies?
    Why on earth waste that kind of money on an educational software or two-bit sports company? Condé Nast has really gone downhill since Si Newhouse died and Charles Townsend left.
    The more I think about this the more I want to hit something.

10. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Imagine, the poor poor billonaires can't even afford EIC's salaries other than Edward's and Anna's...priorities

11. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Condé Nast is doomed....they are gonna destroy what's left....They need to get rid of Anna Wintour asap...those American Vogue issues are embarrassing...

12. thestylisha

thestylisha New Member

Magazines continue to decline in popularity. In the age of fast internet, and a growing dependancy on social media, how can print magazines, like Vogue, survive? Will they survive?

Personally, print is forever. It has and will remain unparalleled to any other form of media in the sphere of fashion. But, it is evident that magazines are surrendering to the internet when it comes to creating moments that has enabled it to prevail for so long in the past.

Print will forever have its place, but with magazines becoming lazier in their approach, its place becomes more and more uncertain everyday. I personally would hate to see magazines die, but a part of me already hates what they have become in recent years.

LoveFashion25 and Fiercification like this.
  13. thestylisha

thestylisha New Member

British Vogue is too wishy washy now. There is little to no direction in the covers, and the articles lacklustre. Conde Nast need to consider the forbidden 'R' word- redesign.

kiev journal likes this.
  14. LoveFashion25

LoveFashion25 Member

Honestly I've been reading the comments and it makes me wonder what's going on with Conde Nast? They are the pillar of fashion so is Anna Wintour? Honestly this shows me there's need to be a change/overhaul in the industry. I foresee an upcoming fashion expert coming along and change the game in fashion and at Conde Nast.

15. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Condé Nast is doomed but Anna is not the issue here.
    It’s maybe our issue because we care about the artistic vision but IRL, the issue is more business related in a industry that is forced to change and adapt.

Anna Wintour remains not because her Vogue is fabulous but only because the model she has found for her Vogue to exist in this new era is the most efficient yet.

We are witnessing the end of magazines like we used to know. They have to reinvent themselves.
    They won’t get rid of Anna now because Anna is still the Authority of fashion and from her public persona to what she had transformed the Met Gala into, she brings advertisers, celebrities and pushes for contents to be created to somehow make the Vogue brand relevant.

Of Course it’s obvious that Newhouse has a strategy to push Edward closer to the big job but I’m concerned in which strategy he has to maintain his group.

It’s both sad and telling to see how dependent of Anna they are...

aracic, THD96, JPineapple and 3 others like this.
  16. LoveFashion25

LoveFashion25 Member

"but any power the Vogue brand has, it stems entirely from the important position the print magazine once held and the respect that people accorded it."

- Current gens doesn't care about Vogue like those gens before them so it makes sense. I think their position in fashion is slowly dying anyways. Just got expedited by a global pandemic. Also the industry itself is a shell of its former self anyways.

17. LoveFashion25

LoveFashion25 Member

Why are the Newhouse pushing Edward? Possible replacement to Anna?

Also; "Anna is still the Authority of fashion"- Sure in the industry but publicly its not the case. Influencers have taken over. I do agree without her the Met Gala wouldn't be as successful as it is, also she does bring advertisers, celebrities, and latches on to whats current to stay relevant, but ultimately the Anne "era" is slowly going to die esp with how Conde Nast is operating.

18. thestylisha

thestylisha New Member

The reason the current gen seem to care less about Vogue is because Vogue fails to cater to them. They don't care about the 'top 10 emerald accessories for the season' which seems to be Vogue's forte at the moment (this is especially the case for their websites).

LoveFashion25 likes this.
  19. thestylisha

thestylisha New Member

Conde Nast need a fashionista- a knowledgeable authority in fashion who is also admired in the social sphere. Someone who will keep the Met Gala a subject of frenzy, someone who is loved by designers and fashion fanatics alike. Influencers come and go. A true force in fashion prevails.

LoveFashion25 likes this.
  20. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Influencers have no authority in fashion. Influencers don’t have access to the designers the way a major editor can, influencers don’t have influence over the strategy of a brand, influencers don’t have access to Bernard Arnault, François Pinault, Bruno Pavlosky.
    Indeed, influencers are similar to magazines. But they aren’t BTS. The power and the influence are BTS, always...

The Anna era of Vogue is going to die because she will at some point Vogue but what is going on in the industry right now will not end. People are now adapting to the times.

Maybe what’s going on in the pages of Vogue will change for the better but don’t expect the industry to turn around just because Anna leaves.

During the peak of the lockdowns, people called for a revolution, a slower world, less consumption, less collections and stuff. The moment everybody opened it was back to normal...