The Business of Magazines

Well, maybe we should give him a chance. IMO he has an amazing eye. It isn't much of a surprise that MAS is going to W. I'm more interested in seeing where Alex White lands.

Thanks for posting Flashbang :heart:

So will MAS be doing Vogue US, Italia & W...? I'm interested in seeing Nickerson back at Vogue, her older eds were beautiful. However she left for a reason and IDK how much freedom she'll be allowed there...as well as how often she'll style given that Edward and Marie (and Elissa) are also contributing editors.

You're welcome, MMA :blush:

(NEW YORK) It hasn’t been a happy April Fool’s Day for staffers at W. After yesterday’s announcement of his departure hit the PR wires, Dennis Freedman gathered his faithful this morning for the farewell meeting. Goodbye hugs and appreciations were the order of the day in what was a subdued conference meeting devoid of overt emotions. Today was Freedman’s final day after serving as W’s creative director since the early '90s. “At least we got to say a proper goodbye,” one staffer noted, referring to the day when Freedman’s alter-ego Patrick McCarthy disappeared just as the announcement about the end of his era was made to the senior staff two weeks ago. “Of course we're all upset over Dennis leaving,” one attendee told The Daily. “But I think everyone is more petrified over what’s coming next.”

And they likely should be. A massive top-to-bottom masthead makeover that started with McCarthy and Freeman now appears to be in motion. Alex White and Julie Belcove are next names that staffers worry about, while Camilla Nickerson is indeed moving her boxes and contact lists back into Vogue’s offices at 4 Times Square. Most uncertain are the youngest staffers who worked closely with Freedman, White, and Belcove.

Meanwhile, Stefano Tonchi’s trip to the Milan’s Furniture Fair this month will obviously be more about than chit chat with couch and table manufactures. As soon as he checks into Bulgari (his usual favorite) expect day to night meetings with heads of Armani, Gucci, Prada, Ferretti, and Dolce---just to name a few. The brand-new advertising derby has begun.

Still, as Tonchi commences his era at W, many positions will need to be filled. Anne Slowey, Cecilia Dean, Marie-Amélie Sauvé, and Armand Limnander are some of the key names that have been mentioned to fill the top jobs. Let the poaching begin!

At T, behind a press lockdown and shrouds of mystery, Anne Christensen is said to be ready to take a leading role at the magazine. Neither Christensen nor a rep from T has responded to our request for comment.
dailyfrontrow

It's been rather awful lately. And that whole Demi Moore thing...

as i don't know where to post about this, nor i am sure it's worth a thread ...

but i've just seen on Arte News that Peter Lindbergh is shooting a Classic Ballet from Germany (Staatsballet, Berlin) for Vogue - I assume it's Vogue Italia ...

It seems to be a beautiful story to come ... with dancers like Polina Semionova ...

I was surprised to hear from Peter's mouth that he didn't liked classic dance before very recently ... I always thought it was something he liked ...

^ It may be the story that run in April's German Vogue. Two weeks ago I saw the magazine at my newsagent, but I forgot to flip through. Maybe someone can confirm, please? thanks!

source | wwd.com

FOLLOWING THE TIDE: Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., publisher of Elle, has expanded its online presence with a new Web-only magazine focusing on style, beauty, relationships and home decor. The new site, Glo, was done in partnership with MSN and BermanBraun Interactive. Earlier this year, the two companies created and launched Wonderwall.com, a celebrity online news site that has more than 9.5 million monthly unique users.

Geraldine Coppola, head of digital, BermanBraun, said Glo was launched because the firms saw a hole in the marketplace. “There are no premium lifestyle destinations on the Web,” she said. Glo is aimed at 25- to 49-year-olds, with the majority married with children. And the average expected household income of a visitor to Glo will be north of $75,000.

“It has the look and feel of a magazine,” said Anne Weintraub, executive editor. Weintraub has held various positions at Elle, including group online director and creative director in marketing. “This will be a different online experience for women,” she said. The site will have a new cover image every day — similar in look to a print magazine — with clickable cover lines. Weintraub said a significant portion of the daily content will be original, with some borrowed from Hachette titles such as Elle, Elle Decor and Woman’s Day, as well as Web partners Sugar Entertainment, LimeLife, Modelinia and Remodelista. Glo also has iPhone and iPad apps in the works and will have a presence on Facebook and Twitter.

Even though Glo is being billed as a “premium lifestyle destination,” most of the products displayed within the editorial content will be low-priced rather than luxury. And most items will have a click-to-buy option. Vaseline, J.C. Penney and Fox Broadcasting Co. have signed on as launch advertisers.

source | wwd.com

A NEW LOCALE: After 17 years at the helm of Town & Country, Pamela Fiori, 66, will transition from editor in chief to editor at large, paving the way for House Beautiful editor in chief Stephen Drucker to take over. The new appointment, which takes effect April 20, ends months of conjecture over Fiori’s future with or without the magazine. In her new role, she will work on Town & Country books and editorial projects. Late last year, Assouline published Fiori’s book “In the Spirit of Capri.”

It was speculated that Drucker, 56, who has always been well-liked by Hearst management, was talking to Condé Nast about moving over to head Architectural Digest. He leaves House Beautiful after almost five years, and style director Newell Turner has been tapped as that title’s new editor in chief. Meanwhile, Hearst also said Tuesday that former Domino magazine style director Dara Caponigro will become the next editor in chief of Veranda.

Drucker said he planned to add new voices and ideas to the mix at Town & Country. It’s unclear whether he plans to redesign the title; Fiori unveiled her own redesign a few months ago. Drucker and Fiori did not respond to requests for comment by press time, and a spokesman declined comment beyond the company’s statement.

Town & Country’s total circulation last year was flat at 455,200, although second-half newsstand sales fell 18.9 percent to 31,100. The magazine last year posted a 45 percent decline in ad pages to 894. When Media Industry Newsletter published its first-quarter ad figures among fashion titles, it reported that through the March issue, ad pages at Town & Country fell 13 percent to 214 pages. Veranda also felt the pain last year, down 48 percent, to 486 pages. House Beautiful, meanwhile, has a circulation of 800,000 and ended the year down 16 percent to 649 pages.

INDUSTRIE magazine

Industrie is a magazine dedicated to the fashion industry itself – the image makers, the designers, the taste makers and their history.
Language: English language out of UK
Issue 1 on Sale: 10th May 2010
Format: Magazine, Full Colour, 196 Pages, perfect bound,
247mm x 370mm

Source : the publisher

Attachments

• industrie magazine.jpg
    industrie magazine.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 10
Interesting. Daria's shot looks like it's from an old GQ ed by I&V.

source | dailyfrontrow

(NEW YORK) Carol Smith has stunned tout New York by descending from her SVP, chief brand officer post at chic bible Elle (where she appeared atop two mastheads!) to a VP and publisher gig at two distinctly non-fashion Condé Nast titles. One is essentially mort (for now), the other is---let's face it---a delicious but minor book for those Newhouses.
Interesting that she reports to Condé superstar Tom Florio. This, to all you insiders, can only mean one thing---Smith is auditioning for the Vogue publisher position while the lifetime Condé superstar readies himself for a well-deserved move upstairs. (An excellent choice, Tom. If anyone can make Vogue a tout-media megabrand, she's the one. Remember Runway?)

As these developments unfolded this morning, Elle's editor in chief Robbie Myers made crabcakes with Olivia Palermo during a taping of The Martha Stewart Show.

source | nytimes

IN THE MIX Madonna descended on a dinner party given by Paper magazine and its co-editor, the enthusiastic Kim Hastreiter, left, for Pedro Almodóvar and Penélope Cruz and their film “Broken Embraces” at Casa Lever in October.

Paper Magazine Editor is Powerful, but no Power Snob

Does anyone remember that, long before Madonna was a zillionairess with a fake British accent, she used to dance at the Roxy with a posse of Latino b-boys? Kim Hastreiter does. Are there many who recall when Jean-Michel Basquiat’s paintings, created in a basement on manic cocaine binges, were being sold for $200 on the street at what his dealer termed a fire sale? Well, there is Ms. Hastreiter. Are there two people alive who celebrated the bicentennial by driving cross-country from California in a Dodge truck called the Dragon Wagon to storm New York City with Joey Arias riding shotgun? There is just one.
The coolest person in New York may well be a large 58-year-old woman who wears cherry-colored glasses and a linen smock, and is planning a hip replacement. That is hip, as in orthopedics, not as in “tragically.”
If Kim Hastreiter is most familiar as one of the two editors of Paper (the other is David Hershkovitz), the downtown magazine in its 26th year, she is less publicly visible as one of the genuine connectors in a city where power is often measured in terms of social circuitry.
To say that Kim Hastreiter knows practically everyone who matters in the cultural life of this city is an understatement and, anyway, does her no favors. A lot of people here know practically everyone, or anyway claim they do. What separates Kim Hastreiter from the run of ordinary power people is that no imaginary velvet rope cordons off her cohort of acquaintances and friends. Like a lot of this town’s celebrity brokers and society hostesses and fame wranglers, she keeps a mental list of interesting types. Unlike the average power snob, though, she shares her list freely and it is never closed.
“Kim isn’t just about big guys or big guys versus little guys,” Sally Singer, the fashion features director of Vogue, said of Ms. Hastreiter. “You could be Madonna or Beth Ditto or the next big thing in art or design,” Ms. Singer said. “But you could just as easily be some adorable, highly androgynous club creature that’s going to be a fun person to have at a party for a year before you go home to Duluth.”
Ms. Hastreiter is excited by any of the above. She is excited, period. “She’ll call and say, ‘I found this thing, this person, this girl who does letters,’ ” Ms. Singer said, specifically referring to the artist Tauba Auerbach, now an art world fixture (she is featured in the current Whitney Biennial) but a San Francisco unknown when Ms. Hastreiter first cottoned to her stylized experiments in typography.
“She’ll call you,” Ms. Singer said, “and say, “You have to see this artist, her work is sick!’ ”
Sick is a carryall word in Ms. Hastreiter’s vocabulary; it packs in everything good. It is “sick” when she spots an artist whose work excites her, and “sick” when the cabaret wonder Joey Arias shows up in a slick pompadour and “sick” when Madonna descends on a dinner party Ms. Hastreiter is holding at Casa Lever for Pedro Almodóvar, a friend of many years and, oh, by the way, Penélope Cruz.
Sick becomes an outright heart attack when something truly thrills Ms. Hastreiter. Even better than cardiac arrest, linguistically, is death. It practically killed Ms. Hastreiter last month when she learned of her selection by the Council of Fashion Designers of America as the recipient of its prestigious Eugenia Sheppard Award.
“I died,” she said. “I’m like an artist, like an outsider person,” and not one of the fashion cognoscenti, she explained recently, sitting in her modest office at Paper, anomalously located in a section of Midtown that could be called Garment District Adjacent.
“Put me in a room with 30 billionaires and one artist and I’ll find the artist,” Ms. Hastreiter explained. “I have zero ability to smell money. But I’m a heat-seeking missile,” for talent. And the talents that kill her are so wildly assorted that a Paper party can sometimes seem like a social mix-tape run amok.
Doubtless she would protest the comparison, but in a sense Ms. Hastreiter is the successor, however unlikely, to society hostesses like Pat Buckley who once gathered at their tables a regular segment of the city’ s social gratin. Elites take on different contours in Ms. Hastreiter’s hands, though, and rather than Henry Kissinger at her dinner table you are more likely to find the apparition called Ladyfag, a woman who dresses like a man dressed in drag.
It is true that at Ms. Hastreiter’s table at Indochine one may bump into the occasional It girl or social X-ray. But it is far more likely that one will encounter her latest intern or artistic discovery, or Shaun White, the snowboard god (who just turned up at the Paper offices in late February, fresh from his gold-medal-winning performance at the winter Olympics) or the artist Ruben Toledo attempting to chat with John Waters across the platinum-blonde palisade of Lady Bunny’s wig.
There are so many parties and so many stories. Thelma Golden, the director of the Studio Museum in Harlem, was introduced to her future husband, the Nigerian designer Duro Olowu, at one of Ms. Hastreiter’s wingdings. Liza Minnelli appeared as the surprise guest performer at another Paper party, on an anything-goes bill that also included the Virgins. Ms. Hastreiter once took over the Ukrainian Embassy and invited uptown socialites like Ann Slater to meet the social arbiters of life below 14th Street, who happen, in most cases, to be men whose preferred undergarments are corsets or Spanx. “She’s got this gift for making that which is indie seem commercial and that which is commercial seem indie,” Ms. Singer said.
Kim Hastreiter, said Steven Kolb, the executive director of the Council of Fashion Designers, is one of “these unsung personalities in our industry who isn’t often associated with accolades. She just trudges through it all and has done amazing things for the industry and for young designers and not in a public way.” Among the designers whose cause she has championed over the past several decades are Isabel Toledo, Heatherette, the collective AsFour (now known as threeASFOUR), Mr. Olowu and also Geoffrey Beene, the legendary and legendarily prickly designer whose one-time fan letter to Ms. Hastreiter resulted in a friendship that went on to span decades.
Ms. Hastreiter draws few lines between cultural disciplines, perhaps because she began her career as a painter and only accidentally strayed into fashion and then publishing. Art and design and fashion occur everywhere, in her view, not just in academia and the Bryant Park tents. It was, after all, at places like Club 57, the Pyramid and the Mudd Club that an entire generation of Ms. Hastreiter’s contemporaries — artists, designers and performers — came into its own.
“Kim comes from the counterculture, and the counterculture is an important part of the fashion culture, a fact we don’t recognize enough,” said Stan Herman, the designer and former president of the Council of Fashion Designers. Mr. Herman added that, “unfortunately, this is not the countercultural time.”
But hold on. A 2007 profile of Ms. Hastreiter in The New Yorker asserted that the continued success of Paper, which has a circulation of about 100,000, is built on a fantasy it projects of a scrappy New York bohemia and an idea of downtown that gentrification has all but routed.
Is downtown really dead? Sure, the Mudd Club is long gone and many of the brilliant names of the era died untimely deaths or went on to become names in the high school art curriculum. Yet if you ask Ms. Hastreiter — a woman so unconcerned with seeming cool or ironic that she actually talks about taking life’s lemons and making lemonade — whether all that is great and thrilling about New York City actually came to an end, as some fogies insist, around 1985, she snorts. “I hate when people say everything was so much better back then,” she said. “I live for the combustion that occurs when you bring together unlikely combinations of people and that’s the same as it ever was.”
She cites the example of a recent Los Angeles pop-up gallery sponsored by Paper where the “Rodarte girls were next to the people from the Mollusk Surf Shop in Venice; who were next to Mr. Cartoon, this genius Mexican tattoo artist; who was next to a drag queen; and, God help me, everybody was excited to work with people that, in a ghettoized place like Los Angeles, they would never meet in a million years.”
This very week, Ms. Hastreiter noted, “this genius art collective called the Family “is opening a monthlong pop-up gallery at 70 Franklin Street in TriBeCa, where they plan to do something pretty close to what Ms. Hastreiter does in Los Angeles. “They’re going to curate everything from readings to music to art to live stuff,” Ms. Hastreiter said. “What I love most about it is that it’s not just 20-year-olds, it’s not about age, it’s not about limitations, it’s about community.” Community and creativity, “always trump shallowness and hype in the end,” Ms. Hastreiter added. “I die for that.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Source : the publisher

interesting ...
but who's fund this ?
looks like this NY based magazine ... the one by J Roitfeld friends ...

the typo and everything is very influenced ...

but I want to see this !
really ! This seems to be the first magazine that understands what fashion freaks want to see and read those days ...
sure it's gonna be a must among the tFSers
^_^

will it be sale for public ?

(NEW YORK) It's Stefano Tonchi's first official day on the job as editor-in-chief of W, and even though he's currently in Milan for the Salone Internazionale del Mobile, he is rumored to have already made his first hire. Lawrence Karol will emerge on the very top of W's masthead as executive managing editor. Karol, a Conde Nast veteran, most recently served as managing editor at Gourmet, where he also penned stories.
ASHLEY BAKER

4/13 UPDATE: An earlier version of this article indicated that Andrew Wilkes, formerly of Allure, was rumored to take this role. Tonchi has confirmed that Karol has accepted the position.
FWD via fashionologie

I probably sound like a broken record about this for those who have read my comments before, but has Numero Korea officially ceased publication?

source | wwd.com

NATURAL BEAUTY: Peter Lindbergh is continuing his campaign against the practice of retouching in fashion magazines. Having shot actresses including Sophie Marceau and Charlotte Rampling au naturel for French Elle last year, the German photographer has trained his lens on top models in a similar spread this week. Claudia Schiffer appears on the cover of the French weekly, while an eight-page black-and-white spread features Nineties models Cindy Crawford, Nadja Auermann and Helena Christensen with no artificial tricks. The model portraits had already been published in U.S. Harper’s Bazaar in September 2009, but a growing number of French magazines are adopting the natural look. French Marie Claire’s April issue contained a large number of images with the mention “Photos not retouched.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->