The Official Harry Potter Thread

I'm sad that Alexandre Desplat wasn't nominated for his score, it was truly briliant.

i think this year's nominations are largely a joke.
and i'm only a little pissed that it didn't get nominated when a crappy movie like the third LOTR won some awards (and don't get me wrong, i like the LOTR movies, but the last one was sh*t and only got nominated/awards to honor the whole series).
i think it's because HP is so British that the Academy thought it's not "their business" :rolleyes:

Video: Theatrical trailer for short film 'The Battle of Hogwarts'

Sunnymeade Films is creating a short film that shows other areas of Hogwarts as the Final Battle took place.

Deathly Hallows: Part 2 wins Excellence in Fantasy Film at 2012 Costume Guild Awards :clap:

The 14th annual Costume Designers Guild Awards took place on Tuesday evening at the The Beverly Hilton hotel in Los Angeles, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 received recognition in the Excellence in Fantasy Film category. Jany Temime, costume designer for the Harry Potter series since Prisoner of Azkaban, was on hand to receive the honour - one that has not been bestowed upon the Harry Potter saga since the first installment, Sorcerer's Stone, in 2001. Photos of Temime with the award can be seen below.

mURI_temp_181d138d.jpg

mURI_temp_7e16271c.jpg

Harry Potter VFX head talks Deathly Hallows: Part 2

On changing Voldemort’s death:

Tim Burke: We were designing end shots for the death of Voldemort a couple months before we delivered the film. There were certain areas of the film unresolved and because of the virtual environments, [David Yates] realized we could recreate shots quickly.

The key thing that changed was the death of Voldemort. That happened after we had locked cuts. We had done some screenings and realized we needed a more epic ending. So we redesigned the sequence and thankfully with the digital assets we could recreate the environment.

We projected some elements of Ralph Fiennes onto geometry of him and added those to the shots, and for a couple shots had to use a full CG Voldemort. It happened way past the 11th hour. The shoot had finished 12 months earlier, so it was long past the point of pick-up shots. We had to take materials from other shots and recreate him.

On the shield (force field) protecting Hogwarts:

Tim Burke: As Voldemort arrived with his army on the hillside, the teachers went into the areas of the courtyard and created a magical shield that enveloped and protected the school. It took a long time to create the magical shield. Then Voldemort bombarded the school and destroyed the shield. We wanted to give that an epic scale.

We referenced the Hindenburg airship disaster, when it went up in flames, to get the scale of the flames and burning materials. That was the reference for pieces of cloth-like fire that dropped down onto the school. It was magical – not in a Harry Potter sense. It was beautiful and shocking at the same time. Those shots were completely CG and had a big design aspect, which is rewarding.

On the Gringotts dragon:

Tim Burke: We had to emphasize and feel sorry for this 60-foot dragon through pure performance. We found reference from badly treated real animals and translated that body language into our character. He was trapped. Unable to fly. Partially blind. And he had been down there his whole life. It was important to emphasize that so you wanted him to escape and when he did, he flew with majesty and pride. That was a lovely story to roll into the character of the dragon.

On the decision to create a virtual Hogwarts:

Tim Burke: We didn’t use any miniatures for Hogwarts. It was the first time we did away with the 24th-scale model. We used a third-scale viaduct for the sequence with the giants. We scaled the architecture they were running on to make the actors look taller. But we didn’t use miniatures to recreate Hogwarts.

It was a big change, a big decision that we made before starting the film. We were still working on the sixth film [Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince] and in discussions with the director and producers. All we had was the book. No script. We realized how much a part of the film and the story the school had become. David [Yates] wanted the freedom to fly the camera outside the school, inside the windows, explore the school as part of the developing battle.

Having worked with miniatures in the past, one big 24th-scale and bespoke models at different scales for key areas, we knew it would be a daunting task to build all those miniatures and nest them into wider shots. Double Negative had technology that we had used successfully on Half-Blood Prince to rebuild the whole of London. It was time to throw away the model.
snitchseeker

not really fitting here, but i guess most people here are also interested in this...i can't even process this yet:buzz:

JK Rowling to pen first novel for adults

Author JK Rowling has announced plans to publish her first novel for adults, which will be "very different" to the Harry Potter books she is famous for.
The book will be published worldwide, although no date or title has yet been released.
"The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry's success has brought me," Rowling said.
The writer published seven Potter books, which have sold more than 450 million copies around the world.
The books, about a boy wizard, became a worldwide phenomenon and were turned into eight blockbuster films starring Daniel Radcliffe.
When the final instalment of the book series went on sale in 2007, thousands of copies sold in minutes.
'Logical progression'
All the Potter books were published by Bloomsbury, but Rowling has chosen a new publisher for her debut into adult fiction.
"Although I've enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world," she said, in a statement.
"The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry's success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher.
"I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life."
Little, Brown's David Shelley said the company were "thrilled, honoured and proud" to be publishing Rowling's latest novel.
"For me, quite simply, it is a personal and professional dream come true to be working with JK Rowling."
bbc

It's about time! I was seriously beginning to think she was going to spend the rest of her life milking Potter.

I'm very curious about what she'll write about. She could go in any direction. From HP, we know she can handle humor, fantasy, politics and drama. I'm really excited for it.

Now, if only Pottermore would get out of beta and be open to everyone...

Ahh... I'm so excited! :woot: You bet I'll be waiting in line at my B&N the day this book is released! I'm so curious to see what sort of adult novel J.K. has written. Honestly, I think I would read anything J.K. has written, which is saying something because I'm not a fan of certain genre's but I feel like she could make anything interesting. I think I spot another bestseller.... ^_^

^She said awhile back that she was working on two different books: one was a political fairy tale for children. The other was an adult, detective novel.

So, I would guess it would be something in the "detective/mystery" genre, which is awesome. JK Rowling is VERY good at mystery, twists, suspense, etc.

^my friend (who also loves HP) said she would be excited about anything JK has written unless it's a thriller/crime novel:lol:
but i'm sure JK can turn everything into an amazing story, no matter the genre

davidheyman.jpg

David Heyman receives Showmanship Award - presented by Gary Oldman

Yesterday marked the International Cinematographers Guild 49th Annual Publicists Awards celebration in which Hollywood publicity and marketing executives, producers, studio and network executives, celebrities and press attend the event.

During the event, Best Actor Oscar nominee Gary Oldman - the actor who portrayed Sirius Black in the Harry Potter franchise and is nominated for the Actor in Leading Role Oscar for his performance in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - presented the Motion Picture Showmanship Award to Harry Potter executive producer David Heyman.

Gary Oldman's presentation:

"This year, we honor the producer of the most successful film franchise of all time. We're delighted to recognize the person responsible for a collection of films that represents the best example of what can be accomplished with creative and smart publicity and promotion."
mugglenet

A tweet from JK Rowling about her new book:

"As you may have heard, I have a new book out later this year. Very different to Harry, although I've enjoyed writing it every bit as much."
mugglenet

I didn't realize it was coming out this year!!!!! :buzz:

^^ now that you think about it... is that a plot loophole or something?

not sure. did the map actually show the bedrooms? In HBP Harry was obsessed with Draco and virtually stalked him, but I don't think he ever mentioned Draco being in his bedroom (?)

I just finished rereading PoA and it does specifically say that every part of the castle is seen. So it is a loophole.

Harry Potter: Wizard's Collection available for pre-order

However, the "hours" of new bonus material is only 5 hours total, at least according to all the reviewers who have gotten hold press releases. It's basically fancy repackaging for the blu-ray/theatrical/ultimates versions all in 1.

I was planning on getting this, but given that lack of extras (5 hours, FIVE hours...), I think when I splurge to get it, I'll get the UK version of this set, which is cheaper AND region-free. (Although the French box set of it is sorely tempting due to the box itself. Except I don't own a wand or ever plan to get one.)

Author JK Rowling has announced her first adult novel will be called The Casual Vacancy.

The Harry Potter writer revealed in February that she was working on the book, and said it would be "very different" from her previous material.

The book will be published worldwide in hardback, e-book and as an audio download and CD on 27 September.

"The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry's success has brought me," Rowling said.

The story is centered around the death of Barry Fairweather, whose unexpected passing shocks the local villagers of Pagford.

Publishers Little, Brown & Co said: "Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war."

The company describes the tale as being "blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising".

More than 450 million copies of Rowling's seven Potter books have been sold worldwide.

The novels, about a boy wizard who survives the attack that kills his parents, became a worldwide phenomenon and were turned into eight blockbuster films starring Daniel Radcliffe.

When the final instalment of the book series went on sale in 2007, thousands of copies sold in minutes.

I cannot wait to read this.

source bbc.co.uk/news

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->