The Official Harry Potter Thread

DH2 revceived a Rotten Tomatoes Award for being the best reviewed film of 2011:clap:

^The film has also been long-listed for the 2012 BAFTAs (Supporting Actor, Outstanding British Film, Costume Design, Special Visual Effects, Original Music, Sound, Make Up & Hair, Cinematography, Production Design, Adapted Screenplay, and Editing) and a Visual Effects Oscar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen this article on the BBC website? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the first book was set in the early 90's? :unsure:

Yes it was set in the 90s. Sorry for the oncoming hp geekiness but it wouldn't have been possible to use google at Hogwarts or in a magical environment as magic stops electrical stuff from working.
Posted via Mobile Device

AFI recognizes 'Harry Potter' film series with special award :D

afiawards1.jpg

afiawards6.jpg

mugglenet

I'm rereading PS for the first time in years, and one thought keeps recurring: JKR is overly fond of the word "said." It doesn't matter what the characters' moods are, she always appendages what they say with "said." I'm like "Where was your editor?" Surely someone could have suggested these terms: asked, inquired, mused, giddily proclaimed, exclaimed, wondered....

(Then again JKR has openly said in interview she ignored her editor...)

Also, it's very apparent how much she loves Harry. Even Ron and Hermione has to work on themselves (Ron: for misjudging Hermione, Hermione on her know-it-all streak). Meanwhile Harry is nearly a Gary Stu. (I LOL at the non-description of how Harry caught the snitch on his way down during the first quidditch match.)

Those annoying things aside, I still love the book.

Imo, the first book was very childish and not very well-written...But I think JKR's writing was just getting better and better in each book and the difference in her writting is very clear when you compare the first and the last book.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, JKR's writing matures as the story and characters mature.
So the first book is very much a children's book. It's not until Prisoner of Azkaban when her writing really starts to excel.

And as for Harry, most of the internal conflict and growth he experiences starts in Chamber of Secrets. In book 1, he's just being introduced to this world and these characters along with the reader. :smile:

I can't take Philosopher's Stone any more because of the plot holes in it. As more is explained later in the series it makes the action in HPPS a lot more inconceivable.

Well, it might be a plot hole, but I don't think it is one, given what we later find out about Snape: Harry overhears Snape telling Quirrell that students know about the PS. Now, Harry only told Hagrid he knows about this and he (and H and R) only said this in the confines of Hagrid's hut. Hagrid doesn't seem the type to blag. So that only leaves the possibility that Snape was peeking into Harry's mind even back in that first year. (Well, we're never actually told in the series that Snape had read Harry's mind prior to OOTP--and that only as a means to teach Harry to close his mind--, but I suppose it can be inferred.)

I think I'm the only Potterhead annoyed that JKR hasn't written anything new. Non-Potter related. Everybody else is like "I want more!" and I'm like "show me you can do more than JRR Tolkien yourself." I mean, I'm glad about Pottermore and I'm glad she's giving us more backhistory, but a part of me can't help but think she's milking it. (Plus, Pottermore came out years after DH was published. The appendix and The Simarillion were basically written alongside LOTR because Tolkien knew not everything he wanted plotwise to explain the interlocking plots and backstories couldn't be included in LOTR.)

I do agree JKR improves vastly in the later books.

^Oh trust me you aren't the only Potterhead who wants JKR to write something else. I LOVE HP, I truly do. But I really want to see what other fabulous idea's JKR has for stories. I hope she's not a one trick pony. But also, I can understand she's under a lot of pressure to write something good. And what if the best thing she ever writes is HP? I think a lot of people feel this way, like that they already did the best thing in their career, so why try to match up to this? It's this idea which a lot of people have said happened to Harper Lee (whether this is true or not remains to be seen). And so at the same time I respect JKR and hope she makes the right choice for herself.

Every writer has their good and bad books though. And are under pressure. Pearl S. Buck solved her problem by using "John Sedges" to write books about America when critics said she could only write about China/readers expecting only Asian-oriented books. After her JS books were successful and had gone through several printings, she announced she was the writer. (It was known that JS was a fake name, but nobody knew who it was until she confirmed it.)

JKR mentioned using a publishing books under a fake name as a possibility years ago so I don't see why she can't use that route. If it bombs, nobody will know (at least not right off the bat) and if it's good, she can say "see, I told you so!"

^I really hope she doesn't, but I can understand why she would want to use a pen name.

As for plot holes, I can't think of any major ones, but they are there. They're kind of unavoidable when you write a story that complex that spans over so many years. JK Rowling even had a continuity editor, whose main purpose was to catch plot holes and to make sure if Harry was wearing a blue t-shirt in chapter 3 that the shirt is still blue come chapter 4, etc. The book with the most continuity errors is OOTP.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 received 4 Bafta nominations: Production Design, Sound, Special Visual Effects, and Make Up and Hair

Ralph Fiennes reads 'Potter' Erotic Fan Fiction :lol:

While promoting his film Coriolanus on the Watch What Happens Live show hosted by Andy Cohen, Ralph Fiennes - the actor who portrays Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter film series - gets a shocking introduction into the other side of the Harry Potter fandom: Erotic Fan Fiction.

To begin with, Ralph is shown an illustrated title piece called Harry Squatter and the Sorcerer's Bone. Then Ralph is asked to read from a selected piece of Fan Fiction, which features a different sort of Harry and Voldemort relationship! This even had Voldemort himself laughing out loud!

There is a video available of him reading the selected piece right here!
mugglenet

Deathly Hallows Part Two has been nominated for Three Academy Awards: Visual Effects, Makeup, and Art Direction. These three nominations bring the series total nominations to 12.

I don't think Potter will win any of them, because the films have never been a favorite with the Academy, but maybe the Academy will honor the series overall like the BAFTAs did last year.

I'm actually really ticked off that Harry Potter has never garnered any major wins at the Oscars, or other major movie award shows, because it's done SO much for the industry. Look at how much money it's grossed, and how many people the films have employed, let alone how many lives its touched. It's gotten awards at the BAFTA's but never American award shows. I get the feeling that the Academy doesn't like HP very much. Which is a shame because Alan Rickman really deserves a nom for his portrayal as Snape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->