The styling tips for different figures thread~

Reaction score
what to wear with my body type?

so i'm 5'3" and i'm slender for my size. for a rough estimate, i'm like nicole-richie's size. it's just that recently due to my "growing", my hips have gotten bigger and it makes the rest of my body look unproportioned. what can i wear to get rid of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing you wear or will find will "get rid" of the fact that you're growing.

I'm petite as well, so hopefully these tips can help you.

• Wearing an outfit of only one colour will make you look more streamlined- eg. black pants and a black blouse.
  • Also, large prints will make you seem a lot bigger, and especially as you're petite they tend to swamp your figure.
  • Horizontal stripes are also unflattering unless you're very thin, so I advise you to stay away from them. They'll exagerrate your hips.
  • A long, fitted coat is much more flattering than one that ends, say, at your hips. That type of coat just makes your hips look larger.
  • Try and buy skirts that end above the knee- longer ones will make your legs look shorter.
  • Shoes that have a strap around your ankle will automatically make you look shorter as they appear to shorten the length of your leg.
  • Pencil skirts are more flattering for larger hipped women.
But don't worry, the rest of you will grow soon and your figure will hopefully even out. Plus, as you get older you'll learn how to dress for your shape and hide what you perceive as flaws. Also, your hips are nothing to be ashamed of- most people would rather a woman had hips than a boyish figure. It's all a matter of taste.

I hoped I helped :wink:

^Great Info
I am very petite only 5' 1" and I do have similar problems, my hips is the widest part of my body. It doesn't help that I love wearing skinny jeans and to hide my hips, i like to wear tops that are pretty long so it grazes just below my hips.
Bias cut skirts also give illusion to smaller hips. Bermudas with length just grazing your knee can also look good.

my point in my other post was you can't get "rid" of your growing hips, you're growing into a woman. I prefer hips than an boyish figure, but it seemed like you weren't too happy with what is happening. Accept it, it's beautiful. Look at Jlo. Her hips are bigger than her top half and she is not hiding it. Bias cuts as stated above are great because they skim the body without being clingy and they don't make you look bigger either.

empire waist dresses or a-line skirts hide wide hips well.

instead of wearing super skinny stovepipe jeans,
try wearing pants in bootcut style or something with a bit of flare at the bottom to balance off the wide hips.

What to wear with this weird figure of mine?

Hello!

Now that I kind of accept my body I wonder what would be the most flattering things to wear for me.

I'm short, just 1,58m ( ca. 5'1), wear a size 8/europ. size 38/40 on the bottom and a size 6/ europ.size 38 on top.
My stomach is bigger than my breasts (75B)(yes, I do look pregnant:shock:), my arms are fat, not to mention my thighs and calves( I don't fit into a size 6 boot which is my shoesize , because my calves are too fat).

Most of the time I wear knee -lenghts skirts to hide my thighs. A lot of them emphasize my wide hips, though :blink:
Aside from exercising:doh:, what can you suggest me to wear to look better/more proportionate?

Attachments

• Kopie (2) von trucs shirt.jpg
    Kopie (2) von trucs shirt.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 24
Since you sound so conscious why don't you start your make-over with daily excercise? And, btw, you don't look half as bad as you say....:flower:

I have to agree - having read your discription I thought I would see a picture of a mini elephant. Instead you look healthy and well. One thing I would suggest try pattens, colors on your top half, stay with muted tones and color blocks on the bottom. To make a bust appear bigger you can add details like pins etc. And remember not evryone is model shaped.

Oh honey you look so lovely!! You're not disporportionate at all, but very womanly and adorable. :flower: (I think many men would agree B) )

I know your feeling though, I think 99% of us want to "fix" something about our figures. Have you looked in the "Curvy Thread" or the "Pear Shaped Thread"? There are some excellent suggestions there. You may want to check out the japanese street style thread too if you like that kind of thing; many japanese girls are basically petite and proportioned like you so you may get some ideas there.

I think what you're wearing in the photo is the perfect idea; darker and longer silhouettes on the bottom, accentuate the decollete and bust. In addition to what Alliecat says, I also think patterns could work very well on the lower half; usually medium-sized darker patterns are good but with patterns you really have to try it out first. Empire silhouettes with the higher waistline and flowy lower half are so flattering too, as are wrap dresses. I hear diagonal/ V-shaped stripes on skirts can be slimming for hips but I've never tried it myself...what else...heels can work wonders...flared pants rather than skinnies...wear a big bold necklace to elongate the look...lots of ideas...have fun!

Ah...figure schmigure......you look fab! I think you're already wearing the right things as Melisande said. Wrap tops are very flattering. You could wear wrap dresses as well. The great thing is you have a lovely bust so I say flaunt what you got and wear low v-necks - def. no polo/turtle necks! Tops with flutter sleeves will also slim your arms.

On bottom, I don't think you're all that big at all. I've seen larger women wearing skinny jeans and still rocking them. So don't fret! But yes, flared/bootcut trousers are v. flattering, especialy when worn with heels. Rather than go for looser sillhouettes, I think it would work in your favour to go for more form fitting stuff - like pencil skirts worn with a empire line top.

I have a friend who has that problem with the boots......she gets her's from a store that does variants in calf sizing so that they fit her small feet as well.

(Btw...question to Melisande....are Japanese girls proportioned like theraindrops....thought they were all teensy and twig like? I'm always v. jealous of their figures when I go to Tokyo.........)

Thank you for your suggestions and opinions:smile:
I do exercising, just not daily.
I always thought being "curvy" describes an hourglass-figure, for which my waist is not small enough and my breasts are too small.
I tried empire dresses and tops, esp. in the summer and while I like the fact, that the fabric doesn't "cling" to my belly the silhouettes make me look pregnant.
I feel comfortable in my 2 H&M " Mama" longsleeves, though. They're not exactly empire but loosely cut around the tummy.

Hi susi_bubble!

Yes, I agree, most Japanese girls look soo tiny and fatless. My mom looked like them before giving birth to me. I guess it's the european eating habits that made me so "big". That is why I will look "alien" to native asians (when I visit asian countries).
I will never wear skinny pants, it's just so unflattering on me. Even bootcut looks "straight cut" on me so I have to wear flared pants.
And I love V-necks! I also believe that form fitting clothes would be best. Very loose-fitting stuff looks best on very skinny girl which accentuates their "petiteness"/cuteness.
Thank you:smile:

Hi Susie and raindrops! Haha, figure schmigure is right, you are not big at all! :P I agree, v-necks and flutter-sleeves are great.

Well, you're right, most Japanese girls are teensy and twiglike, what I meant was that when they are womanly, it's like raindrops. The proportion is the same...petite and small-boned...a softer, feminine look...hard to explain! :P Anyway I think it's lovely.

...Susieee~~, silly girl you have nothing to be jealous about! :P

figure= beautiful.

not wierd. accept and then move on to the more trivial things, like clothes :-)

(though that wrap top looks fabulous on you! And bootcut jeans with heels are universally flattering, in my opinion. Good luck with finding some shapes you love)

size 8/6 british? those are small sizes!! you do not look bad at all.

how bout some sweatpants and head to the gym?

im sorry but i cant stand people like this...if you're unhappy about your body then CHANGE it, don't try and come up with ways to cover it up or avoid putting in the necessary effort to get what you actually want!

She says that she accepts her body and she's asking for advice on flattering articles of clothing.... I think your comment was nasty and unnecessary liquid fire.

And for the record I think you look great raindrops, make the most of your chest for definate :wink:

Amerie said:
She says that she accepts her body and she's asking for advice on flattering articles of clothing.... I think your comment was nasty and unnecessary liquid fire.

And for the record I think you look great raindrops, make the most of your chest for definate :wink:

well said!:flower:

I used to think like you, liquid fire. Hated it, when people complained about their body (I thought it was soo superficial and conformist).
However, I'm not complaining, I'm just being realistic.
I live now and that's why I want to wear flattering things now and not in the future:D
Thank you all for your opinions, melt, woodenhouse, Amerie, tifa ( I mean US size 6/8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annejudy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->