The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread #2

^i get you, we do have silk almond milk here but you can find only in one supermarket, and the individual portion (250ml) costs more than 2 dolars! when regular individual milk costs you less than a dolar!

I personally think the ideology of my country is not completely changed to the fact that there exists alternative and probably even healthier ways of feeding yourself, that's why it is so hard to find soy or almond products and when you do they are extremely expensive (my best friend is just starting to veganism and she says people should totally do it, but is not that easy when you don't have enough money to buy all this expensive products as she does) i have only come across one soy yoghurt on one supermarket and yes, it is expensive.

i really hope because i'm sure my country is not the only one, that other ones would open themselves to this alternative and healthier food, instead of letting other stuff like McDonalds get in their houses feeding them with cheap and unhealthy food.

i do feel there is people wanting and trying to become vegetarian or vegan, but sometimes they can't because they don't have enough money to afford it? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
as you mention mcdonalds. i really hope they start to sell (more) vegetarian food.
we have a veggy burger here. but there was nothing for me to eat at mcdonalds florida.
but not only mcdonalds. i hope all those fast food chains will start to sell vegetarian food. it was really hard to find food in florida. i think it´s a lot easier in germany.
i have been to nyc in 2010 and 2011 and it was super easy to find food there. but then again.. it´s nyc! i can´t wait to be back there this year!

for me it goes a bit further than that, i mean yes in my country the only veggie thing you can buy at mcdonalds is the McWrap (and some stores don't even sell it because people don't buy it:judge: ) for me goes to the fact that we should just stop going to mcdonalds (that probably answers my question of why people don't buy the veggie McWrap:lol: ), because other than them selling meat, it's the unhealthy way of selling stuff that's way to high on fat and carbs.

one of the main reasons i decided to stop eating meat was because i've disliked meat since i was a kid and because i personally love eating lots of vegetables and healthy food other than a burger or a hot dog, it was unnecesary, unhealthy, untasty and against my love for animals to keep on eating meat (i hope someday i'll begin with proper vegetarianism and hopefully veganism one day...)

I'd looove to try silk almond milk, but we don't have that brand here :doh: we only have very few almond milk brands and they're 2-3 times the price of soymilk :shock: it's a shame bc I think almond milk is so delicious, but it's just too expensive to buy every week... need to make my own at some point!
Same here! I wish we had silk almond milk in my country too. Tho we have silk tofu and it tastes delicious in smoothies!
I don't know how much do almonds cost in your country but I did some calculations and it is cheaper for me to buy almond milk than to make it myself.

for me it goes a bit further than that, i mean yes in my country the only veggie thing you can buy at mcdonalds is the McWrap (and some stores don't even sell it because people don't buy it:judge: ) for me goes to the fact that we should just stop going to mcdonalds (that probably answers my question of why people don't buy the veggie McWrap:lol: ), because other than them selling meat, it's the unhealthy way of selling stuff that's way to high on fat and carbs.

one of the main reasons i decided to stop eating meat was because i've disliked meat since i was a kid and because i personally love eating lots of vegetables and healthy food other than a burger or a hot dog, it was unnecesary, unhealthy, untasty and against my love for animals to keep on eating meat (i hope someday i'll begin with proper vegetarianism and hopefully veganism one day...)

I know. but... you know sometimes you are in a country you don´t know and can´t find a supermarket, then it´s so easy to just stop by a fast food "restaurant". or you are driving long time and need a rest so you stop by them (in germany we have fast food "restaurants" and other unhealthy restaurant-chains near the highways).
I hardly ever go there. but for example. we just arrived in newark and there was no supermarket. so we went back to the airport and all you could get to eat was fast food. and then they don´t sell vegetarian stuff.

But i also think if they would sell vegetarian or even vegan food more people would decide to eat it. it would be available everywhere. i think vegetarian food is just too hard to find (for those who don´t cook by themselves). If it would be available people would buy it.

I read today that the European Union is banning all animal-tested cosmetics! :woot: L'Oreal stated that it will "no longer sell in Europe any finished product with an ingredient that was tested on animals”, effective today. It seems that although products that were previously tested on animals can remain on the shelves, any new products must be conducted without any forms of animal testing. Therefore, alternative testing methods must be formed which hopefully can assist in the persuasion of having other countries around the world follow these methods and eliminate animal testing altogether.
A big step for animal welfare :D

Wow that is awesome news! :clap: Major kudos to them for taking the initiative, I hope other nations follow suit!

Same here! I wish we had silk almond milk in my country too. Tho we have silk tofu and it tastes delicious in smoothies!
I don't know how much do almonds cost in your country but I did some calculations and it is cheaper for me to buy almond milk than to make it myself.

wow you're right, buying almond milk is still cheaper than making your own even though it's 2-3 times more expensive than soy milk here, that's so depressing :doh: given that you need about 2 cups of almonds to make just 1 litre of almond milk...

I made my own oat milk this weekend, it's so good and easy to do and cheap! I may never go back to soy milk now.

I;d love to hear how you did it :smile: Oat milk costs about the same as almond milk here in the stores, so I would love to save a little cash

I;d love to hear how you did it :smile: Oat milk costs about the same as almond milk here in the stores, so I would love to save a little cash

It is so easy:
Put 3 cups of water in a blender with a cup of oats ( i used basic rolled oats) and a pinch of salt.
Let this steep for as long as you feel, 20 minutes, to overnight.
Blend it, and then strain it repeatedly til you get most of the solids out of it, then add some maple syrup or agave to sweeten. It will settle in the fridge, I keep mine in a bottle with a lid so I can shake it before pouring it in to my tea.

:flower:

has anyone made a vegan/vegetarian version of curried chicken salad?

i'm on the fence about purchasing vegenaise. i'm not sure i would even use a whole bottle of it...

It lasts forever, but you could always use nonfat yogurt, soy sour cream, mashed avocado, or pureed silken tofu for the dressing instead. I personally dislike mayonaise it's so oily.

Thanks a bunch Dauphine!
I am going to soak some oaks overnight, :flower: lotsa karma for you ^_^

Ever since I became a vegetarian/dipping into veganism at times, I've learned that I can save so much money especially buying tofu and soy milk and almond milk which last heaps longer than meat, cheese and regular milk. And ever since I stopped eating meat and occasionally milk and eggs, I've noticed my skin get significantly better. It was never bad, a spot or two on occasion but it really has been looking extra nice in the past year. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

good point, i get the big half gallons of silk soymilk and they last two weeks.

if i'd bought regular milk or cream for my coffee/cereal i'd have to dump it in a week or less.

And ever since I stopped eating meat and occasionally milk and eggs, I've noticed my skin get significantly better. It was never bad, a spot or two on occasion but it really has been looking extra nice in the past year. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

Sure, that's very common, especially when eliminating diary products.

My skin is so much better when I don't overdo it with dairy, I think it's from hormones in the milk. When I eat cheese/dairy I am usually not paying attention to if it's organic or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->