How do you make your skin smooth and flawless? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, since I am not very well educated in cosmetic chemistry, I was wondering perhaps someone could help me to analyse the ingredients of this refreshing face tonic. What's good, what's bad? Thanks in advance :smile:

Aqua, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Potasium Carbonate, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, Allantoin, Parfum (Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool)

"Good" and "bad" are quite subjective, and imho also related to the price you are paying for it. I'm no cosmetic chemist either, but, general comments on the ingredeint list are:

Aqua - distilled water = expected top ingredient for a toner
Glycerine - humectant = good, underated, basic moisturiring ingredient at a maximum of 5% total product
Aloe Barbadensis - humectant, anti-inflammatory etc = moisturising ingredient that some people like, some people don't (I don't). Eitherway, it's placed after glycerine in the list so is probably included in an amount insufficient to do much good (i.e. likely <5%)
Potassium Carbonate - pH adjuster = used to balance the acidity level of the product so it's skin-friendly and doesn't make you feel dry
PG/Diaz.Urea/Methyl-&Poly-paraben - presevative = "Germaben II" preservative sustem, good basic all-round preservative if you're not worried about the alleged carcinogenic properties of parabens. Used at a maxiumum dosage of 1% final product I wouldn't worry about it too much although there are alternative preservatives with less publicity attached to their ingredients
Polysorbate 20 - emulsifier = used to mix the oil-based fragrance in this product with the water-based "main" ingredients
Disodium EDTA - chelating ingredient = used to isolate the metal ions which can accumulate especially in plant matter (the aloe & allantoin) to stop them from damaging the skin - used at 0.2% max
Allantoin - anti-irritant/inflammatory = nice soothing ingredient found in many dry/sensitive skin products however it generally needs to be in 0.5%-2% to do much good. Here, it's placed in the list after Disodium EDTA so probably <0.2% which doesn't do much good...althouth it may be more than that as most countries allow ingredients <1% to be listed in any order (not necessarily in descending order). In any case it can't physically be incorporated in a solution at > 0.5% so unlikely to have huge impact here
Parfum - fragrance = I see no need for a potentially sensitising ingredient in this; the other ingredeints shouldn't smell that bad to justify it

The ingredient cost must be maximum 50 cents (US) per 1 liter of product I guess, plus packaging cost on top of that. (Of course, it's reasonable to expect a company to add distribution, marketing, labour, legal etc etc etc costs on top of that).

So, if you like it and it's very cheap, great! otherwise, I'd probably skip it :flower:

HTH

Ever since I have been using German brand Sebamed I stopped having breakouts and major problems with skin. It calms down everything on your face and body. Deeply recommend people with skin allergies.

^ Hah, that's good for you! :smile: My skin broke out like crazy when I tried their products. :(

A product that really does it for me is md formulations continious renewal complex. After I started using that my skin is SO soft, it's amazing stuff.

I've been using sanoflore, an organic french and inexpensive brand while I'd ran out of my Natura Bisse moisturizer and my skin has never been better! Completely oily free and I'm usually very oily on my forehead. Now that I'm back on Natura, I see the difference and I really want to get the Sanoflore again. Still love natura AHA cleanser, that's the best.

^ Hah, that's good for you! :smile: My skin broke out like crazy when I tried their products. :(

Oh, you're the first person I've encountered that has some problems after trying Sebamed. What's the case? Ingredients or dryness? Sorry to ask, but I am very curious about the outcome. I'm so in love with this brand. Helped my to ease my lifetime problems with skincare.

Oh, you're the first person I've encountered that has some problems after trying Sebamed. What's the case? Ingredients or dryness? Sorry to ask, but I am very curious about the outcome. I'm so in love with this brand. Helped my to ease my lifetime problems with skincare.

I agree with you on Sebamed, it's cheap and very effective for my light acne.

I used their Clear Face-range for about 4 months and it dried out my skin really badly. First of all the toner have alcohol denat. in it and my skin do not go well with alcohol. My mom loves their Moisturizing Cream though, I tried it out for my self and after two weeks of using it my skin got crazy again. But it contains petrolatum and I always break out when products contains that.

After coming across this site I started cleansing my face with honey about a week and a half ago and it's working great, my skin appears much smoother with less noticeable pores. When I started I also had some problem spots due to it being a certain time of the month :innocent: and these healed much more quickly than before.

I recently started to use "Tea Tree Blackhead Exfoliating Wash" from The Body Shop and it's the only product I've ever tried that I am completely satisfied with. It really does miracles to my skin - my pores are much much less noticeable.

lately i use Nivea jelly. Vaseline jelly also has a similar effect it makes your skin glow and looking healthy

After coming across this site I started cleansing my face with honey about a week and a half ago and it's working great, my skin appears much smoother with less noticeable pores. When I started I also had some problem spots due to it being a certain time of the month :innocent: and these healed much more quickly than before.

I will try this, too! Why I had forgotten all the benefits of honey?? When I was younger, I used to use honey as a mask in the sauna, not a single cosmetic product has ever made my skin so soft.

And I just got two jars of organic honey (produced in 20 km from my home), so it must be good for this B)

I am so going to try the honey thing. I often have spots (more so during my period, which sucks) and I want an overall more healthy and glowing face. Not just glowing due to having an oily skin. :lol:

I often use plain honey as a face mask in the morning, just for 5 to 10 minutes. It makes the skin feel and look very soft and healthy.

I was surprised too. Just wash your face with some water afterwards and you'll be fine.
Did anyone else experience the skin getting kinda ''itchy'' afterwards? I might have not heated up the honey enough and it wasn't the clear fluid as it probably should have been, but it's not like my skin immediately felt more soft or something. But going to try it out more. Is there like a preferred kind of honey?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's all about keeping your skin barrier in tact. that keeps the skin healthy, hydrated, and protected from outside stuff.

if your skin barrier is out of whack you will break out and have very sensitive skin.

i suggest cleansing with something very very gentle. oil cleansing with baby oil works...getting unscented online is better.

and gently wiping off with distilled water. i dont trust the faucet water i have...with the chlorine and what not...so i use distilled. it's only 99cents...

and then after that moisturize with the baby oil...

and get something with niacinamide that will help heal the barrier even further...you can make your own niacinamide toner...mix in capsules w/ the powder into distilled water...and put on skin...then top with baby oil...

it will help :smile: it has helped my extremely dry dehydrated skin...take care& God bless

Does anyone have any experiences with microdermabrasion (sp?) ?
I have an appointment for a treatment on monday but Ive been a bit hesitant, among others because of what reverberates just wrote. I have very sensitive skin, so I fear it might destroy the natural barriers or at least irritate it. The dermatologist told me its very gentle and there are no irritations to be expected but in the end, she obviously wants to sell her treatments.

^It's very gentle indeed. So gentle that for me it had no more effect than a slightly more intense scrub. I don't know if it was the woman doing it or if I was expecting too much but I was very disappointed. I hope you have better experience and I'd be happy if you shared it!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's all about keeping your skin barrier in tact. that keeps the skin healthy, hydrated, and protected from outside stuff.

if your skin barrier is out of whack you will break out and have very sensitive skin.

i suggest cleansing with something very very gentle. oil cleansing with baby oil works...getting unscented online is better.

and gently wiping off with distilled water. i dont trust the faucet water i have...with the chlorine and what not...so i use distilled. it's only 99cents...

and then after that moisturize with the baby oil...

and get something with niacinamide that will help heal the barrier even further...you can make your own niacinamide toner...mix in capsules w/ the powder into distilled water...and put on skin...then top with baby oil...

it will help :smile: it has helped my extremely dry dehydrated skin...take care& God bless
Thanks for the tips, but I don't know if I should clean my skin with all the oil? It's pretty oily and shiny on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->