Theyskens confirmed at Nina Ricci - updated

zamb

Reaction score
page six of the NY post is a gossip column. but they often have stories that are true.
in todays paper it is said that Lars Nilsson was dumped to make way for a pitch at free agent Olivier theyskens.
i have my personal views on this but i dont really have time to share them now;
does anyone know anything about this. also the article said Nilsson may be on his way to Oscar de la Renta....................

Perhaps Olivier will become the gypsy of fashion... going from house to house until he totally revamps each one, then leaving (or getting fired)...

zamb said:
page six of the NY post is a gossip column. but they often have stories that are true.
in todays paper it is said that Lars Nilsson was dumped to make way for a pitch at free agent Olivier theyskens.
i have my personal views on this but i dont really have time to share them now;
does anyone know anything about this. also the article said Nilsson may be on his way to Oscar de la Renta....................

This is very interesting, zamb. It also sounds real to me...it makes perfect sense. I really hope that you can share your view on this. :flower:

Oh but I sort of liked Nilsson... Well as long as I can see him working for de la Renta.... And I'd love to see Theyskens back!

That would be toow weird though. I think theyskens is a bit more on the conservative side when it comes to design and Nina Ricci, from what I've seen, is more youthful. Both are compatible with colour palettes though.

theyskens heading to nina ricci could be a very real possibility...
as the gm of ricci is formerly of rochas...

but tricotinecat said in another thread that olivier is planning a pre-fall 07 presentation of his own collection...

i can definitely see nilsson doing something at de la renta...
they have a similar ladylike sensability...
and nilsson has a built in clientele, from when he was at bill blass and nina ricci...

i hope Olivier T. starts concentrating..
btw somewhere i heard that Nina Ricci will actually be going out of business, but i may be wrong

Nilson for De La Renta? why not? hee could do wonders for this label

kimair said:
theyskens heading to nina ricci could be a very real possibility...
as the gm of ricci is formerly of rochas...

but tricotinecat said in another thread that olivier is planning a pre-fall 07 presentation of his own collection...

i can definitely see nilsson doing something at de la renta...
they have a similar ladylike sensability...
and nilsson has a built in clientele, from when he was at bill blass and nina ricci...
My friend couldn't tell me yet under which name he would be making a comeback with, it could be for another house or his own, I personally hope he will revive his own name...

Rochas was a magical fit because it's reputation as a fashion house was pretty much non-existant in recent time, nobody knew what the house stood for. This is what allowed Olivier to freely create a new identity for the house with just some vague hints of the original Rochas identity (the bustier, the guepière, and the original Rochas chantilly lace) the tiered skirtsuits, bolero jackets with voluminous backs, threequarter sleeves... are in fact much rather hints to Christobal Balenciaga, than Marcel Rochas, at least that's what I felt.

Ricci would be a bad fit because the house already has a fashion reference lately through Nilsson's work... I am not a big fan of his, but it seems that he already had commercial success at Nina Ricci... so just in case that Olivier would take over, he would be in the difficult position to be comparable to what Nilsson did at the house. I don't think these are the circumstances under which he would do well in.

let's not forget the inventiveness of the cut of the sleeves for Olivier's dresses and jackets... even though he is best-known for his poetic, arty approach to fashion, Olivier is very strong with silhouette and architectural cutting. Just like Christobal was in his heydays.

tricotineacetat said:
My friend couldn't tell me yet under which name he would be making a comeback with, it could be for another house or his own, I personally hope he will revive his own name...

ah...
thanks for clarifying...:flower: (and sorry i spelled your name wrong!)

i'm personally hoping that olivier designs under his own name...

^ i second Theyskens building his own 'house'

i would want to see a lot of young designers being able to build their 'own' legacy instead of being obligued to re-interpret a house's heritage... the only valid reason why certain old companies are being kept alive is because a lot of jobs would be lost if the houses would be shut down consiquently after the designer's retirement... and who would want to, as all of these houses grew wealthy with outsourced fragrance/cosmetics production/licensing?

there certainly is a lot of money involved... as long as that is the case, all these old houses will be kept alive... it certainly isn't because of the heritage and their contributions to today's advanced fashion vocabulary (in that regard, balenciaga, vionnet, grès and all the other old masters are still alive in the work of other designers that pay hommage to their craft and technique... just have a look at people like Yamamoto or Roksanda Illincic - two designers of different generations that share the habit that they constantly revisit and reinterpret old couturiers in their OWN context).

Last edited by a moderator:
KhaoticKharma said:
Perhaps Olivier will become the gypsy of fashion... going from house to house until he totally revamps each one, then leaving (or getting fired)...

what a grim speculation.....:lol:

from wwd:

Olivier's Next Gig: Nina Ricci Said Close to Signing Theyskens
By Miles Socha with contributions by Jennifer Weil

PARIS — From Rochas to Ricci.

Less than six weeks after Olivier Theyskens found himself out of a job with the shuttering of the Rochas fashion house, the Belgian design star is zeroing in on a deal to become the creative director of Nina Ricci. This confirms a report in WWD Aug. 23.

According to market sources, the contract could be finalized within a week, putting Theyskens at the helm of another French house with couture roots, a substantial perfume franchise and a fledgling fashion business.

Neither Nina Ricci officials nor the designer could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Theyskens, 29, will succeed Lars Nilsson, who resigned after a three-year stint at Ricci to return to the U.S. It is understood Nilsson is close to securing a new fashion post in New York, but he has declined all comment on his intentions. Nilsson did not return phone calls on Tuesday.

However, Oscar de la Renta executives denied last week that Nilsson is joining the company, despite speculation that is where he is headed.

God,I hope that it isn't true. I concur and I reiterate....I REALLY hope he goes back to doing his own signature. He has the money now to restructure and really build his label back strongly....he'll be alot more financially stable than he was before,I think.

Oh and somebody said Theyskens is "conservative"? Where on earth did you get an idea like that? Sophisticated,yes but conservative is a bit of an extreme equation. His cutting techniques,alone,are hardly that at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody please stop Olivier... how could he deny Givenchy and then accept the first opportunity given at Nina Ricci several years later? I think he should simply just get some rest for a while and double-check all possible options...

What would Nina Ricci by Olivier Theyskens be like...Rochas No.2? he simply cannot continue doing the same just because it's also a Parisian couture house. He should DEFINITELY return to his own name or wait something very much different than Rochas is being offered to him.

good for both of them..
i hope it's true...
being unemployed (and poor) is very bad psychologically...

i don't wish it on anyone...
way too many people cannot find work these days...
so i'm just happy that they aren't suffering...

*the whole Rochas closing thing was probably already a huge blow...
he must have known it was coming long ago...but still..it can't be easy to feel like a failure...

It's wierd. Fashion designers work like bank executives. Mig mig and they change their offices. All the mysthic about "HC signature aesthetic" is gone.

But it is good:-)

yes nqth--well that is the current climate...

when it rains you use an umbrella...
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeybabe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->