UK Vogue January 2020 : Taylor Swift by Craig McDean

Very odd that Taylor got her second January cover when just this month Lizzo had to share with Emma.
I don't understand comments like this! Why is it odd? Every Vogue EIC does this, Shulman did it with many celebs, Wintour we all know has been doing it for decades! Also this could be just for the fact it fits with the timing of Cats promo, so it makes it even less odd. 2 years is not a short time, newsstands readers, unlike us, will not even notice it.

Also January, as we all know, is a dead month, so having someone like Taylor is a godsend, and a smart decision on Edward's part.

Very odd that Taylor got her second January cover when just this month Lizzo had to share with Emma.

Exactly. They could have given Lizzo the entire month of January!

The standard is higher for Edward because he voluntarily parades and prides himself as the beacon and guard of equality in Vogue.

^ Hahah you are so reaching, its not even funny. The standard is not the same for Edward because you guys don't like him, and what he is doing at UK Vogue. When in fact when comes to everything he "preaches" about, he also backs it up, in every single issue, so far!

...and everyone gets to express their 1001 different opinions whenever that happens, it doesn't go unchecked. So what makes it different this time around?

It's a comment, which you can agree with or not, or even ignore.
It makes it different because it is honestly comical at this point, how hard some of you try to criticize or find (read; invent) anything to put down Edward and his Vogue!

Oh and thanks, but i do understand how the forums work (been pretty great at ignoring everything from idiotic theories about him doing last minute covers with Lizzo.etc, lol when in fact she has been booked at the same time as Emma) , didn't even mean to check you personally, i just found it strange being mentioned as something unusal, when we all know it's not, really.

Last edited:
New Style, New Decade starts with Taylor and a Chanel suit? Okay, I must be missing something. New Style and New Decade should have started with a hot star, model or something less conventional than a successful white girl and as much as I love Chanel, definitely with something less conventional in its appearance and the idea behind it.

I like the way the cover does a good job of reminding me of the supermodel-in-Chanel looks you'd get in US Vogue in the early 90s. If the aim is a vintage feel, it works for me - it just seems inane to team it with a coverline of 'new decade, new style'.

If the 'new style' is fashion is telling us 'old is new again', with features about the best flea markets and vintage stores, and how to repurpose your old pieces, I would definitely find that interesting, but I would also wonder how long any such phase would last...

I like the way the cover does a good job of reminding me of the supermodel-in-Chanel looks you'd get in US Vogue in the early 90s. If the aim is a vintage feel, it works for me - it just seems inane to team it with a coverline of 'new decade, new style'.

If the 'new style' is fashion is telling us 'old is new again', with features about the best flea markets and vintage stores, and how to repurpose your old pieces, I would definitely find that interesting, but I would also wonder how long any such phase would last...

Not long as it is not in the interest of the industry... In fact, all the business about not buying many things and saving the environment is complete b*llsh*t. How do they imagine anyone remotely interested in fashion to just settle let's say for one new jumper even if it costs from £800 to £1400?

They'll have to inevitably sell those new Spring collections hitting stores and please their advertisers, so it's fair to say this phase is only good enough to tie in with a quiet retail month like January. It's back to business as usual come February.

Not long as it is not in the interest of the industry... In fact, all the business about not buying many things and saving the environment is complete b*llsh*t. How do they imagine anyone remotely interested in fashion to just settle let's say for one new jumper even if it costs from £800 to £1400?

Servicey magazines like Glamour and Marie Claire have been doing those edits for years where you can build a 7-day wardrobe around something ridiculous as 5 pieces. They may have been ahead of their time. Maybe it's time for the rest to latch onto this idea?
I know the Vogues won't, but they can start by building looks by incorporating hit pieces from two or so seasons ago and make it look 'now.' It's preposterous that fashion is expecting consumers to let their knee-length Celine boots gather dust next season when Slimane resurrects a new piece.

On the one hand, I applaud the use of an archival look for the cover. But on the other, I also know this will fuel counterfeit and fast fashion brands to rush the aesthetic into production for a quick quid.

I have mixed feelings about this cover. On the one hand, the styling kind of makes her look like she’s about to star in a prep school version of Mean Girls. On the other hand, the makeup and retouching have done her justice imo and added a little hint of sophistication to her, which counteracts her usual vibe.

Overall, I just don’t find her to be an interesting cover subject no matter how much she has going on or how successful she is. But I guess I like this as much as I possibly could.

Servicey magazines like Glamour and Marie Claire have been doing those edits for years where you can build a 7-day wardrobe around something ridiculous as 5 pieces. They may have been ahead of their time. Maybe it's time for the rest to latch onto this idea?
I know the Vogues won't, but they can start by building looks by incorporating hit pieces from two or so seasons ago and make it look 'now.' It's preposterous that fashion is expecting consumers to let their knee-length Celine boots gather dust next season when Slimane resurrects a new piece.

On the one hand, I applaud the use of an archival look for the cover. But on the other, I also know this will fuel counterfeit and fast fashion brands to rush the aesthetic into production for a quick quid.

I agree with you on all points. However, I cannot help but find this disingenuous. Also Taylor as a cover star bothers me - a white girl in Chanel? Does it get any more bourgeoise? Is that really a new era we are looking for?
No one bins their Chanel jacket anyway, it's like a timeless peace and you'll always grow old enough to look good in it again :-D

The ‘relevance’ of this cover and it’s timing will become all the more obvious very shortly.

It’s been immaculately timed for the award win, Cats and an announcement from her. January might be a dead month but it’s definitely the one her team wanted for her.

Horrible, she's too beautiful to have all this Photoshop ruining her and what annoys me most is that there was a potential that was lost, since Craig is an excellent photographer!

I think she will release all her songs again bc of the story with the former label

She said she isn't allowed to release them until November 2020, I think this is something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->