UK Vogue May 2010 : Gwyneth Paltrow by Mario Testino

gwenyth paltrow gets on my last nerve; her cover is not cute. how is she still relevant? exactly. she's not.

She's spending holidays with Spielberg in the Hamptons and dining with Valentino and Stella. She's relevant alright, in HER circles which are infinitely removed from... well, mine for sure.

I do like Gwyneth. She puts her mouth where her money is. If she says she despises "these stupid romantic comedies" she ain't doing them. You won't catch her pretending to be romanced by her co-star with his finger in her **** either.

A rare Gwyneth fan, but she looks shocking here... Is it a buy in?

I hate the way it looks like she is smirking on the cover. I hate that Paltrow smirk. It drives me insane.

Besides, UK Vogue is not what is used to be in terms in brilliant and inspiring covers. I miss the days of the early 2000's. Now those were some great covers! :innocent:

Ugh.I loved her 1998 cover for them.
295s8xk.jpg

iconography

I don't mind her at all... but let's face it this cover is awful...
the problem is that they use same faces over and over again... and this are not necessarily people who can do different things... but again even great model like Kate Moss can look uninspiring when same magazine uses her over and over again like at least 2 times an year...
I think they should respond to all interests and all readers and try to work with different people from differen league, age, etc...

What a bad cover. Doesn't matter if it's Gwyneth or a HF-model. It's bad, boring and bland.

I like Gwyneth. She gets a lot of hate, but I find her very talented, and really quite beautiful. That being said, I don't love the cover, but I really don't believe it's as terrible as the thread would make it out to be. I've seen far worse.

And I thought Kate Moss was boring. On this cover, she looks like the type of person who'd host a TV show called "Healthy Living with Gwyneth!"

I know! I wish I could cancel my subscription.

When this is the kind of sentiment a mere cover evokes in the subscribers of a magazine, it's time to start rethinking and thinking fresh. Seeing this dated cover, now is the time, if ever. Because, although not the case with every publication, to me the covers of UK Vogue reflect well what's to be expected of the issues' inside contents. Which, based on this month's cover, isn't a lot.

Gisele's recent US Vogue cover may also have had a certain '90s vibe about it, but at least the execution looked more polished and expensive than this. I was going to say this cover brings to mind a poor man's Allure, but come to think of it Allure does better make-up on their celebrities even on their bad days.

Nothing against Gwyneth, though. I barely know who she is, let alone what she's famous for. :lol:

Oh, wow. If it didn't say 'Vogue' at the top it would register to me as a magazine for the over 50s. And look at the cover lines - "What kind of shopper are you?" "SUMMER GIRL" "The coolest dresses for the hottest nights" Really... seriously? Is that the best you can do? I know they have to sell magazines but those cover lines belong on primitive magazines.

I mentioned earlier that I felt it wasn't a patch on her earlier covers - here's October 2002 and February 1998, both by Testino. I really like the 2002 one, despite the wording 'sex aid' - a most unfortunate phrase to place on the front of a magazine (vogue.co.uk:(

VoguecoverOct02_XL_320x421.jpg
VoguecoverFeb98_XL_320x421.jpg

More Dash Than Cash
Model : Julia Nobis
Fashion Editor : Emma Elwick & Gillian Wilkins
Photographer : Jacob Sutton

A Life Less Ordinary (Couture Editorial)
Model : Dorothea Barth-Jorgensen
Fashion Editor : Lucinda Chambers
Photographer : Paolo Roversi

Lust for Life
Model : Gwyneth Paltrow
Fashion Editor : Lucinda Chambers
Photographer : Mario Testino

From Sheer to Eternity
Model : Constance Jablonski
Fashion Editor : Miranda Almond
Photographer : Regan Cameron

Born in the USA
Model : Karlie Kloss
Fashion Editor : Kate Phelan
Photographer : Alasdair McLellan

Super Eight
(Set around the launch of Louis Vuitton's mega store on bond street, with 'eight women to watch')
Models: Clara Pagent (Actress/Model), Kinga Burza (Film Maker), Leah Weller (Model),
Daisy Coburn (Singer), Zoe Zimmer (Photographer) Eleanor Hardwick (Photographer)
Josephine De La Baume (Actress), and Felicity Jones (Actress)
Fashion Editor : Miranda Almond
Photographer : Matt Irwin

Pop Culture (featured around the brit awards)
Photographs by Anders Overgaard
Features : Cheryl Cole, Lily Allen, Florence Welch, Alicia Keys, La Roux, Pixie Lott,
Kylie Minogue, Robbie Williams, Dizzie Rascal, and Courtney Love

an Article Entitled 'The Tragedy of McQueen'
Features his Portrait from the October 2009 issue,
an Image of Gemma Ward in the centre piece from the S/S 99' show (worn by shalom)
several other editorial images featuring McQueen and another Portrait by David Bailey

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a million for the review, Chanelcouture09. Can't wait to see From Sheer to Eternity. The title is very appealing and I happen to love Constance.

^ so many text and not even a word on MCQUEEN???
I would buy it just for his article but from the review this is an avoid issue.
Thanks for review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->