US Vogue April 2024 : Coco Gauff by Annie Leibovitz

I'm looking forward seeing Bella Hadid's editorial in this issue. I hope she covers another edition, too.

If she's important for what she does and is a public figure, I guess is not bad to her scoring a Vogue cover. Plus, I think it's nice to promote sports as a form of life to younger generations. Athletes are not my cup of tea either, I have zero clue about sports because isn't the way I use my time, but I don't find this cover like a bad sign.

The main problem I have with magazines nowadays covering 'normal' or plus sized bodies is that they don't seem to take them as seriously as the usual bordering to hospital anorexia skinny. It's like photographers aren't taking these models seriously. I believe it can be done better, I really do, but they never seem to get it right. Of course, it's obvious that photographing someone slim is much easier than with more curves, but you could at least try.

vogue stylists struggle with styling muscular women. I can see they tried to accomodate her figure. I wouldve put her in Tom Ford and some simone rocha x jpg. Lots of figure defining pieces because shes an athlete !

1709911149907.jpeg
LAUNCHMETRICS SPOTLIGHT

Tom-Ford-Spring-Summer-2024-Milan-Fashion-Week-16.webp

Fashiontography

Last edited:
Anna is shameless with her tennis bias. Nobody cares THAT much, Anna. I know she celebrates other athletes, but sometimes I feel like she throws them a bone just so she can focus on the tennis players. 😂

Since sports figures are nothing new to Vogue, I’m not actually mad about this, but the cover image is so unflattering. It’s not even one of those inspiring movement shots… like where you feel the physicality and joy of the moment? I dunno. Hard pass.

Flipped through this issue yesterday. It was 130ish pages. Bella has a fairly long solo editorial. As does Ayo and Lila. There's the Coco Gauff story and a story on Andrew Scott. A story on Luca Guadagnino and Jonathan Anderson working together on costumes. And a story on the new Cabaret on Broadway. Ummm maybe some other stuff? Not a bad issue, by today's standard (which is to say it's not very good, but I didn't throw it down in disgust either)

CHASING PERFECTION
Photography:
Annie Leibovitz
Styling: Tabitha Simmons
Hair: Lacy Redway
Make-up: Raisa Flowers
Model/Athlete: Coco Gauff

US Vogue Digital Edition

Reading that, I'm now picturing they're in a secret relationship where the ending is a suicide pact.

In an alternate timeline of internet drama.

She's beautiful, but really, who cares about them? this covers really sell?, I'd rather buy a cover with a model or celebrity instead of a tennis player.

I live in the US and have literally no clue who this was until I read here.
The editorial is beyond boring and looks like something we have seen already.

Even though I haven't see the Bella edit. I feel like Bella on the cover would sell more.

Is tennis perceived as a posh sport in the US?

In the UK, while there's nothing stopping a person from playing whenever they like at their local leisure centre, the main tennis social calendar in England is more of an "upper class person has a day out" thing. It's socially aspirational, if you're that way inclined.

(In contrast, something like F1 is very much a rich man's sport - but not necessarily posh.)

So I tend to see Anna's obsession with tennis as coming from the same place as fashion's love affair with aristo models like Stella Tennant, Cara Delevingne, Jean Campbell etc.

But in repackaging it for an American market, what does tennis mean to that audience? Achievement, certainly, but does it come with other significance? Is there still the sense that an interest in tennis might not come from a love of sport - but from what the sport represents?

Is tennis perceived as a posh sport in the US?

In the UK, while there's nothing stopping a person from playing whenever they like at their local leisure centre, the main tennis social calendar in England is more of an "upper class person has a day out" thing. It's socially aspirational, if you're that way inclined.

(In contrast, something like F1 is very much a rich man's sport - but not necessarily posh.)

So I tend to see Anna's obsession with tennis as coming from the same place as fashion's love affair with aristo models like Stella Tennant, Cara Delevingne, Jean Campbell etc.

But in repackaging it for an American market, what does tennis mean to that audience? Achievement, certainly, but does it come with other significance? Is there still the sense that an interest in tennis might not come from a love of sport - but from what the sport represents?
Oh wow, she's always looked the role but I had no idea about the background of Lady Campbell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->