US Vogue September 2024 : Blake Lively & Hugh Jackman by Baz Luhrmann

Oh, I didn't know Nicolas had a hot daddy lol.

Everything looks extremely boring so far. The Meisel story is quite lame.

Justine Triet + Baz Luhrmann, Meisel + Grace.
Vogue tried this time. (albeit results)
want to read Ghesquiere's article.

I don’t have many positive things to say about the cover, the cover story, Nicolas in the pool (?), Nicolas and his partner with the dogs…
I like the fact that The Vuitton Ed is about movement, something that Sims failed to do.

That’s a terrible September issue. But I’m waiting for Nicolas’s article.

Meisel's ed looks AI generated, it's so artificial. I wonder if it was even photographed by him or he just delegated one of his assistants.
If the fashion editorial was shot by one of his assistants, I do not think that it would be credited as Steven Meisel. However, I think that is nonsense. The editorial looks like a typical studio work by Meisel. I do not think that it is terribly retouched and I love it!

I felt completely fine with the first cover (except for the odd hand placement to promote expensive jewelry). When Vogue magazine tried to highlight high-end jewelry on its cover, this cover did justice.
12-18saffron.jpg
vogue.co.uk

On the other hand, for the second cover, this is the more suitable logo alternative for that picture.
20240809_055924.jpg

I honestly dont mind this over the generic content that we see full of Kpop and reality stars. It's campy but still more interesting than some sleepy studio editorial with sleepy teenagers. This will look striking on the news stands though would have worked better for a large format publication like W to give it a movie poster feel. The text should have also had that cinematic vibe.
Glad to se jumping models in Vogue too.

Vogue US is giving Meisel some of their best assignments recently. Between this LV story, the Met and Galliano for Margiela piece... hoping Anna has put their past spat behind them and ready to give him the Avedon era he deserves. Maybe she recognizes his influence during Edward's tenure and knows she needs him to stay relevant. I'm here for it.

Is Meisel here for it? I'm not so sure.

I would be very surprised if we ever see anything that approaches the level of his work from the 90s and 00s, at best, we'll be lucky if we get another retrospective volume out of the upcoming Vogue Italia anniversary, and like the Linda book, that'll be a modern reminder of glory days that are never coming round again.

As for having his name credited on his editorials as representing proof of anything - in some issues, he doesn't even get that. French Vogue had no problem recently mislabelling him as 'Steven Klein'.

That action shows they couldn't care less who's taking the pictures, they're not even invested enough to check the names. The people handling the pages can't tell the difference between one man's work and the other. Conde Nast now cares so little about details of that nature, they'll have no interest in being straight with readers as to whether Meisel takes the pictures or he delegates to a team.

Is Meisel here for it? I'm not so sure.

I would be very surprised if we ever see anything that approaches the level of his work from the 90s and 00s, at best, we'll be lucky if we get another retrospective volume out of the upcoming Vogue Italia anniversary, and like the Linda book, that'll be a modern reminder of glory days that are never coming round again.

As for having his name credited on his editorials as representing proof of anything - in some issues, he doesn't even get that. French Vogue had no problem recently mislabelling him as 'Steven Klein'.

That action shows they couldn't care less who's taking the pictures, they're not even invested enough to check the names. The people handling the pages can't tell the difference between one man's work and the other. Conde Nast now cares so little about details of that nature, they'll have no interest in being straight with readers as to whether Meisel takes the pictures or he delegates to a team.
The difference is that French Vogue made the error not US Vogue. I believe that Anna Wintour cares who's taking the pictures inside of her magazine. She knows the difference between Meisel's and Klein's photography style. As a result, this typo did not happen in US Vogue.

Last edited:
If the fashion editorial was shot by one of his assistants, I do not think that it would be credited as Steven Meisel.
He has done "remote shoots" and was still credited as the photographer so it doesn't mean anything.

He has done "remote shoots" and was still credited as the photographer so it doesn't mean anything.
However, Meisel must have worked on overseeing the direction and results of the photographs and that means something.

Last edited:
The difference is that French Vogue made the error not US Vogue. I believe that Anna Wintour cares who's taking the pictures inside of her magazine. She knows the difference between Meisel's and Klein's photography style. As a result, this typo did not happen in US Vogue.
Given that the editions are now photocopies of each other, and most of them no longer have actual editors of their own, someone has to assume overall responsibility for a fleet of magazines which have to follow orders from a central source.

God knows I love magazines and have done so for decades, but I'm also not interested in making excuses for companies which have massively lowered their standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arshdaddy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->