US Vogue August 2014 : Blake Lively by Mario Testino

"Clash Mob"
Model: Caroline Trentini
Photographer: David Sims

Wow, an editorial like this without a single Celine item. Margiela is almout in every outfit (sponsored for sure) and Saint Laurent in 3 outfits (6 items). :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one hell of a nauseating interview.

I literally cannot understand the vitriol aimed at Blake in this thread.

It reeks of jealousy and envy and insecurity. Not calling you personally any of those things, pixiedust, I just cannot seem to find any other explanation as to why people feel so self-righteously disdainful towards a woman who is living her life to the fullest, doing precisely what she wants to do and is passionate about. I don't have any time whatsoever for all the "she's not deserving of a cover" nonsense. She has massive contracts with fashion companies like Gucci and L'Oreal, she's always a red carpet favourite and she's clearly developed a ton of admirers within the fashion community.

I also apparently had the exact opposite reaction to most of you, with regards to the story itself. I always felt a bit "meh" about Blake Lively. When I saw the thread title, I thought to myself, "meh." Then I saw the cover and editorial and thought, "Ok, she's actually quite beautiful and the styling suits her perfectly, though I would've preferred to see Bruce Weber's take on this. But, yeah, fair enough - it's a beautiful cover and she looks great in the edit." Then, reading the interview, I actually found her to be FAR more compelling than I ever did before. She is accomplishing a lot with her life, likely more than most of us who are commenting in the thread. And she's following her heart and passion and working hard to build the life she aspires to have for herself and her family. And I say, good for her!

Having once had the job of being the person who produces that sort of content for publications, I never believe a word of it. For me, it's all a fiction, and if someone likes or doesn't like the sound of the story, that's simply a matter of personal taste.

This cover story is a commercial product, and people get to have an opinion about a product, and whether they feel convinced to buy (into) it.

It reeks of jealousy and envy and insecurity.

Or perhaps people see right through her bs and the image she tries to cultivate for herself with so much dedication. Blake knows how to hustle, I'll give her that.

that could be true, Melancholybaby, but it's such a cynical way of viewing it.

and, yeah i totally agree - tigerrouge - folks get to have whatever opinions they'd like to. i'm just baffled that my opinion is so wildly different from everyone else's.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I've read quite a few stories from people about how she behaves in real life, which is why I can't take anything from the article seriously.

When the attention and hype of an actress isn't proportionate with her achievements people are going to wonder who she's screwing or blackmailing. It doesn't mean anyone hates Blake or is wishing her ill will. Everyone is just scratching their heads at why a tarty valley girl whose biggest claim to fame is some teenybopper show on the CW is being handed Vogue covers and luxury contracts. She suddenly went from tacky blonde on the red carpet with her boobs out at every chance to Chanel model and people are rightfully confused.

It reeks of jealousy and envy and insecurity. Not calling you personally any of those things, pixiedust, I just cannot seem to find any other explanation as to why people feel so self-righteously disdainful towards a woman who is living her life to the fullest, doing precisely what she wants to do and is passionate about. I don't have any time whatsoever for all the "she's not deserving of a cover" nonsense. She has massive contracts with fashion companies like Gucci and L'Oreal, she's always a red carpet favourite and she's clearly developed a ton of admirers within the fashion community.

I also apparently had the exact opposite reaction to most of you, with regards to the story itself. I always felt a bit "meh" about Blake Lively. When I saw the thread title, I thought to myself, "meh." Then I saw the cover and editorial and thought, "Ok, she's actually quite beautiful and the styling suits her perfectly, though I would've preferred to see Bruce Weber's take on this. But, yeah, fair enough - it's a beautiful cover and she looks great in the edit." Then, reading the interview, I actually found her to be FAR more compelling than I ever did before. She is accomplishing a lot with her life, likely more than most of us who are commenting in the thread. And she's following her heart and passion and working hard to build the life she aspires to have for herself and her family. And I say, good for her!
As someone said already, one's response to the vogue profile on her is entirely subjective. There is nothing in the interview that makes me feel jealous, insecure or envious towards her, in fact it makes me want to roll my eyes and pat her on the head. For example, I consider myself to be someone who is interested in discussions about gender, therefore her outdated comments on her partner being the perfect patriarch were exasperating.

She's a pretty girl with decent style and amazing hustle but that's all there is.

These jumping studio editorials, half of them starring Caroline Trentini, are embarrassing. The broken robot pose (1st and 6th shot of Caroline's ed) and those "whistling/O-shaped mouth" expressions are painful. A grin or smile would be refreshing and look natural...

Me neither. People all over the internet are so over the top and malicious to a girl who has never shown to be anything but sweet. There are many fan encounters with pictures that talk about how sweet she is and people in the industry always have pleasant things to say about her. She has never said anything horrible or extremely offensive. It's crazy that someone people claim is so boring, vanilla and irrelevant can inspire so much intense vitriol. People are so cynical about her too. Is it really that unheard of for a pretty blonde to be into baking and fashion? I mean, really? She's sadly just the go to girl for woman to all collectively hate on and project their insecurities onto tbh...

Is it really that unheard of for a pretty blonde to be into baking and fashion? I mean, really? She's sadly just the go to girl for woman to all collectively hate on and project their insecurities onto tbh...

Is it really impossible to believe that people want to read about/see people who are actually interesting? Who are doing interesting things with their careers/lives? Especially if they are given the cover of such a "prestigious" magazine? I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care about Blake Lively because she's boring and bland and offers nothing of substance, not because I'm insecure or jealous of her. :mellow::ermm:

Is it really impossible to believe that people want to read about/see people who are actually interesting? Who are doing interesting things with their careers/lives? Especially if they are given the cover of such a "prestigious" magazine? I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care about Blake Lively because she's boring and bland and offers nothing of substance, not because I'm insecure or jealous of her. :mellow::ermm:

I never said anything like this :lol: I don't care who you like or find interesting and I certainly don't expect people to find Blake Lively interesting. I was simply commenting how ridiculous it is that someone so "boring and bland" gets people so riled up or why people are so intensely cynical toward her. She's like the least controversial actress in Hollywood yet she causes so much controversy.

Wow, an editorial like this without a single Celine item. Margiela is almout in every outfit (sponsored for sure) and Saint Laurent in 3 outfits (6 items). :huh:
The stylist of this editorial is styling the Margiela show as well. Gotta #represent I guess :lol: At least MAS is doing it subtle unlike Rizzo and his bff Vanderperre :wacko:

I guess what people consider "interesting" and "of substance" wildly varies. I guess I find a globe-trotting, fashion-loving, successful actress who's married to an even more successful moviestar husband, who's now launching a website that will shine a light on all kinds of small-batch artisans .... well ... interesting.

Not sure where the comedy is in that statement. If you have any actor friends, i'm sure they'll be happy to inform you that basically 90% of actors are forever scrounging for work, auditioning constantly for day-player roles in whatever tv show or movie their agent can get them in the room for. the VAST majority live this way until they either give up or somehow get a break.

Blake Lively was the lead protagonist on an extremely successful mainstream television series that rain for 6 (?) seasons. She was earning $60,000 per episode (so well over $1 million per season). And she's been in films that were both critically and commercially successful, like The Town & The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. And other ones that, even if not successful, were still major films with high visibility, like The Savages and Green Lantern. No, she hasn't won and Oscar or any such thing. But I'm sure there are plenty of actors who would trade places with her in a heartbeat. So, yeah, I really fail to see what's so funny about calling her successful. (Unless you were laughing at my calling Ryan Reynolds a moviestar. Well - he has 28 film credits and they total $2.7 BILLION in box office ... so... he's doing alright, i reckon)

You're all going to think I'm some Blake Lively stan, but the truth is I don't think I've ever once posted in her thread. I just feel like someone has to defend the girl and give her her dues.

Not sure where the comedy is in that statement. If you have any actor friends, i'm sure they'll be happy to inform you that basically 90% of actors are forever scrounging for work, auditioning constantly for day-player roles in whatever tv show or movie their agent can get them in the room for. the VAST majority live this way until they either give up or somehow get a break.

Blake Lively was the lead protagonist on an extremely successful mainstream television series that rain for 6 (?) seasons. She was earning $60,000 per episode (so well over $1 million per season). And she's been in films that were both critically and commercially successful, like The Town & The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. And other ones that, even if not successful, were still major films with high visibility, like The Savages and Green Lantern. No, she hasn't won and Oscar or any such thing. But I'm sure there are plenty of actors who would trade places with her in a heartbeat. So, yeah, I really fail to see what's so funny about calling her successful. (Unless you were laughing at my calling Ryan Reynolds a moviestar. Well - he has 28 film credits and they total $2.7 BILLION in box office ... so... he's doing alright, i reckon)

You're all going to think I'm some Blake Lively stan, but the truth is I don't think I've ever once posted in her thread. I just feel like someone has to defend the girl and give her her dues.

If you're going to compare her with every unemployed actress working as a waitress, then of course she's successful. But those Traveling Pants movies 5 years ago and a flop CW show that ended 2 years ago do not a successful actress make. She's mostly known for being an it-girl and a red carpet fixture (thanks to that GG costume designer) but I've never read anything about her amazing acting skills. But it's still admirable that she lives an A-list life with a C-list name and Z-list talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rearjepaj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->