US Vogue August 2014 : Blake Lively by Mario Testino

You're one of my favourite posted happycanadian but I have to disagree with almost everything you're saying. Blake Lively has achieved pretty much nothing in the movie industry. She's just known for Gossip girl and that ended years ago. The only movie she's received raves for was The Town and she only had a small role in that film. I mean she's promoting a website and not a movie which hardly screams success.

She is a C-list actress at best and if you compare her to other actresses in her age group such as Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway, Shailene Woodley, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, she has achieved nothing. Not even a Golden Globe nom. She only appears to get roles that every A-lister has rejected and she's not the go to girl for the hottest scripts. That's why so many people are confused at her landing so many Vogue covers and it has nothing to do with jealousy. And Green Lantern might have grossed over 100 million dollars, but it's seen as a flop for a superhero movie hence why it never even got a sequel and why Ryan Reynolds still hasn't happened.

If you want to talk about successful actresses, then any of the women listed on the cover would've been great. Amy Adams just received back to back oscar nominations and has 5 in total. Jessica Chastain is expected to have another big year with a few movies coming out and she's already received raves for The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby. And Julianne Moore is having a great comeback with success in The Hunger Games and winning the Cannes best actress award for Maps to the Stars. These are all successful women who are known for their work and actually lead movies or have substantial roles and who go out and work for them.

If they wanted a successful blonde for the cover, then Scarlett would've been perfect as she's having an amazing year with raves for Don Jon, Under the Skin and for her voice work in Her. She won critics awards just for her voice work whereas Blake couldn't get anything. And more importantly, her new movie Lucy is on track for a 40 million dollar opening and hardly any women led movies open that big. That is major news! Very few women have had movies sold on their name open that big.

If some of you have a problem with people using the word deserving than just swap it with the word likeable.

I am not surprised that this is already her third Vogue cover. Having Harvey Weinstein as her "mentor" certainly helped a lot. Congrats!

Looks like Blake is following Sarah Jessica Parker´s lead, not doing something meaningful as an actress but because of her RC style and her tv show´s costume designer still gets magazine covers and contracts. It´s not a bad thing imo, nobody slams SJP for it, do they? I personally don´t care about either of them and I don´t want to read their interviews but I haven´t bought a Vogue issue since ages ago so I can´t really "demand" anything when I get the magazine for free online, can I? :lol:

SJP is a little different in the respect she was an actress long before her actual major success came along and Sex And The City was a whole different kettle of fish to Gossip Girl. I'm not hugely familiar with her career but she'd been working for a long time, doing much more than Blake has before she was landing contracts and covers.

I'm just not sure they're the best comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite thing about this entire issue is that one of Jansson's photos is captioned "Back to the Fuchsia". I live for that sh!t.

SJP is a little different in the respect she was an actress long before her actual major success came along and Sex And The City was a whole different kettle of fish to Gossip Girl. I'm not hugely familiar with her career but she'd been working for a long time, doing much more than Blake has before she was landing contracts and covers.

I'm just not sure they're the best comparison.

I´m comparing because nowadays SJP is doing nothing worth promoting (big movies, awards) and yet she gets covers and exposure. She´s still riding the S&tC wave (which ended 10 years ago!).
So Blake got the cover because she´s promoting her site, I don´t find it interesting at all but she´s not the first person -nor the last- to get covers because of her long gone success.

Blake's father is an actor and her mother is a talent manager, so there was probably little trouble for her to get into the industry. It's all about connections and how beautiful you are, to be honest. Talent is sadly on the low end of things on the radar in the film/tv industry. Now that Blake is famous, she doesn't really have to do anything to get covers.

Btw, I like her cover and editorial. I guess.

She is a C-list actress at best and if you compare her to other actresses in her age group such as Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway, Shailene Woodley, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, she has achieved nothing. Not even a Golden Globe nom. She only appears to get roles that every A-lister has rejected and she's not the go to girl for the hottest scripts. That's why so many people are confused at her landing so many Vogue covers and it has nothing to do with jealousy. And Green Lantern might have grossed over 100 million dollars, but it's seen as a flop for a superhero movie hence why it never even got a sequel and why Ryan Reynolds still hasn't happened. She is a C-list actress at best and if you compare her to other actresses in her age group such as Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway, Shailene Woodley, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, she has achieved nothing. Not even a Golden Globe nom. She only appears to get roles that every A-lister has rejected and she's not the go to girl for the hottest scripts. That's why so many people are confused at her landing so many Vogue covers and it has nothing to do with jealousy.
I love Blake and I agree with your post. She was the replacement for Jennifer Lawrence (scheduling conflict with the Hunger Games in Savages and Katherine Heigl (attitude issues) in the Age of Adaline. Most of the press Blake receives nowadays is mostly about her red carpet style and her marriage. She's a C-List Actress that receives A-list attention from the fashion industry.

And thats ALL that she needs to be on the cover of a FASHION magazine. She does not need to promote a movie, is Vogue not the Oscar´s program. If the fashion industry loves her, she´ll be getting more contracts, covers and front row seats at shows... Even if she decides not to do another movie in her life!

This discutions reminds me to the March cover, im starting to want Khloe Kardashian as a Sept cover girl just to read all the reactions a hate! LOL

#3 - Fire Starters (10 pg)
PH: Annie Leibovitz
Style: Grace Coddington
Models/Celebs: Julianne Moore & Liv Freundlich (her daughter), Jessica Chastain, Domnhall Gleeson, Amy Adams, Karen Elson, Lily Cole, and Florence Welch

I'd like to make a correction to my review and state that Lily Cole is NOT part of this editorial. The actress is actually Madison Stubbington, a Lily Cole look-a-like. Sorry for the confusion! Not like anyone noticed since we're all hating on Blake Lively....

Blake Lively may not be much of an actress (I thought she was decent enough on GG and good in The Town, but obviously not something to write home about) but like another poster here mentioned, when did it become a rule that only Oscar winning actresses can be on the cover of Vogue? This isn't Entertainment Weekly or Variety. Acting talent has nothing to do with how much you "deserve" a fashion magazine cover. Blake has a reputation for being a nice person who is easy to work with, so I don't find it shocking that the people over at Vogue choose to work with her. She is a tall, slim, beautiful, a well-known figure, famous for not using a stylist but still (sometimes) wowing on the red carpet. She's endorsed major brands and now she's promoting a new website that most likely will involve fashion. Why is she less "deserving" of a cover than any other random actress or singer with something to promote? And to anyone complaining she doesn't have a film to promote, were you complaining last month when Lupita was on the cover? True, three covers is quite a bit, but she hasn't had one in over 4 years and she must get along well with Anna and I'm sure she has a great publicist. It's not exactly shocking that a well-regarded, very famous, very beautiful, "all-American" type of girl who moves with the right crowd is on the cover of a major fashion magazine. This happens more often than not when the new Vogue cover is revealed every month. We should all relax about something that shouldn't be taken too seriously, imo. A girl you don't care for getting a Vogue cover 4 years after her previous one isn't the end of the world. In a month, there will be someone else on the cover.

I can't wait for the day when Instagram queens like Jen Selter and Paige Hathaway start getting Vogue covers.

Blake Lively may not be much of an actress (I thought she was decent enough on GG and good in The Town, but obviously not something to write home about) but like another poster here mentioned, when did it become a rule that only Oscar winning actresses can be on the cover of Vogue? This isn't Entertainment Weekly or Variety. Acting talent has nothing to do with how much you "deserve" a fashion magazine cover. Blake has a reputation for being a nice person who is easy to work with, so I don't find it shocking that the people over at Vogue choose to work with her. She is a tall, slim, beautiful, a well-known figure, famous for not using a stylist but still (sometimes) wowing on the red carpet. She's endorsed major brands and now she's promoting a new website that most likely will involve fashion. Why is she less "deserving" of a cover than any other random actress or singer with something to promote? And to anyone complaining she doesn't have a film to promote, were you complaining last month when Lupita was on the cover? True, three covers is quite a bit, but she hasn't had one in over 4 years and she must get along well with Anna and I'm sure she has a great publicist. It's not exactly shocking that a well-regarded, very famous, very beautiful, "all-American" type of girl who moves with the right crowd is on the cover of a major fashion magazine. This happens more often than not when the new Vogue cover is revealed every month. We should all relax about something that shouldn't be taken too seriously, imo. A girl you don't care for getting a Vogue cover 4 years after her previous one isn't the end of the world. In a month, there will be someone else on the cover.

agreed 100% people need to chill with that deserving and interesting debate. What's interesting to you may be a snoozefest to me. Having an actress talk about her passion for her craft and how modestly she lives may not be the most interesting thing and tbh most fashion magazine interviews are rather boring and pretentious no matter who it is.

Fire Starters

Photographer : Annie Leibovitz
Style : Grace Coddington
Models/Celebs : Julianne Moore & Liv Freundlich (her daughter), Jessica Chastain, Domnhall Gleeson, Amy Adams, Karen Elson, Madison Stubbington, and Florence Welch

fashionscansremarstered.net

Every single pic could make a decent cover , why Blake ?

'Fire Starters' is stunning! That Madison girl looks like a da Vinci drawing. Also love Florence, Karen and Amy's shots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->