Victoria Beckham (Denim, Dresses, etc.)

roland mouret anyone? oh sorry, already mentioned :smile:
i must say the presentation is neat even though we only have a preview.
agree on the simon fuller comment.
at this point i am quite intrigued to see the pieces in detail: fabric, label, etc.

It's Roland Mouret, even the description sounds like Roland Mouret's aesthetic. Not shocking since she loves his stuff.

However, I do love how someone with such questionable taste feels confident enough to tell people how to look.

Ditto.

She got some good reviews for a novice and only a dress collection:

September 9, 2008

Victoria Beckham presents her debut fashion collection 4711607Lisa Armstrong, Fashion Editor
There is something surreal about sitting in a suite in the historic Waldorf Hotel, slap in the middle of Park Avenue Princess territory, while a former Spice Girl presents her debut fashion collection. Not just any Spice Girl, but Victoria Beckham, a woman who, only recently, poured herself into a gold leather Roberto Cavalli bustier and matching leggings for the Spice Girls tour.

Yet there we were, a handful of fashion editors (her husband hadn’t yet seen it although he kept texting her for progress reports) and Victoria herself with newly spikey hair, perched on gilded Louis something sofas and sipping sparkling water while three models paraded past our knees. This was so ladylike it made the Windsors look common, so demure it made the scrum in Bryant Park, New York fashion week’s official headquarters, look like a hooligans’ rout at Millwall. Over and again, when describing each outfit (all of which were dresses), the novice fashion designer used the word “classy”.

And guess what? They were.

In fact ­ and I can’t quite believe I’m writing this ­ it was a very impressive, accomplished collection, with not a single dud. True there were only ten designs, in various colours, each adhering to the aesthetic the designer has favoured in her own wardrobe of late: slender calf-length fitted dresses with raised waists. But it was the fabrics (silk, wool and organza) and the attention to detail that impressed.

Light-weight internal corsetry and inner, inner gros-grain waistbands to make extra sure everything stayed in place, a tie neckline that could be flipped back at night (because she’d noticed that’s what David did sometimes with his bow ties “and it’s sexy”), folded tucks at the bustline to give a “classy” 40s look to strapless dresses and guarantee against wardrobe malfunctions, which would be “vulgar”.

One could quibble with her definition of what makes a perfect day dress for the average busy mother ­ apparently anything that could double up as a cocktail dress ­ and her notion that a black corset dress should be a staple in every woman’s life, but these aren¹t for the masses, retailing between £650 ­ £1900 and produced in tiny numbers (there will be no more than 400 of the first collection). There's certainly no arguing with her intimate knowledge of what makes a dress photograph as well from the back as from the front, what makes a corset bearable when worn for fourteen hours on the trot, and what constitutes an investment piece. These were what she called “Sucky sucky” dresses, “designed to hold you in, not challenge your body”. They will go up to a size 14 and she’d love to see Nigella Lawson or Dame Helen Mirren in them.

Reactions from retailers seems positive. “It’s very sophisticated, easy and commercial,” says Harvey Nichols fashion director Averyl Oates. “It will be interesting to see how it evolves”. But what of the designers whose clothes VB has worn over the years and who had clearly influenced her aesthetic, notably Roland Mouret, who is also backed by Simon Fuller, the Beckham’s manager and who is rumoured to have “assisted” with this collection?

“They’ve been very encouraging” says Beckham, insisting that while Mouret gave her some advice and helped her appoint her tiny London based team of four, she designed it on her own, fiddling with toiles at home in LA and emailing endless pictures back to the pattern cutter in London. “I’ve been working on this for 34 years,” she says. “I always wanted to be a fashion designer. Then along came the Spice Girls which opened a lot of doors for me. And, let¹s be honest, closed a lot. But those days are over. I was never going to be the world’s best singer, but I hope I can be a good designer.”

The Times

New York Fashion Week: Victoria Beckham launches fashion collection:

Hilary Alexander reports from New York Fashion Week

Victoria Beckham has launched her first fashion collection at New York Fashion Week based entirely upon her own personal style.
Esconced in the Royal Suite of the Waldorf Towers, she talked a select group of fashion press through what she called "my dream of a lifetime."

The collection, of just 10 styles, which will cost between £600 and £1,900, is based entirely upon Mrs Beckham's own style and owes more than a little to one of her favourite designers, Roland Mouret, inventor of the 'Galaxy Dress'.
Made in luxury fabrics such as silk organza, silk crepe, gazar, taffeta, wool stretch and fine cottons, in a subdued colour palette of black, navy, cream, cobalt and flesh-tone, each dress is cut, seamed and contoured to within an inch of its hourglass life and features a long pink-gilt zip snaking straight down the centre-back seam .
Interior corsetry, grosgrain waistbands, shoulder pads and ingenious 'nips and tucks' in the bust, waist and hip area, ensure that, as the fledging designer puts it "every woman who wears these dresses can have great posture and look great from every angle."
The dresses, in sizes 6-14, would be suitable for all ages, she said, singling out Nigella Lawson and Dame Helen Mirren as ideal customers.
Overall, the collection has a surprisingly modest, almost prim attitude with all hemlines ending at least three inches below the knee and some of the bow-neck, blouse-bodices having an almost governess feel.

victoriaa.jpg

But, as Mrs Beckham explained, these styles could always look more sexy with the bow undone, "like David (Beckham) undoing his bow-tie at the end of an evening."
The collection is being made in London with a small atelier staff of less than five people.
Only 400 examples of the entire collection will be sold worldwide and will be available from February.
"I know I have a lot to learn, but over the years I think I have worked out how women want to look," she said.

victoriab.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?xml=/fashion/2008/09/08/efbeckham108.xml

Victoria Beckham impresses on debut
Jess Cartner-Morley in New York
The Guardian, Tuesday September 9 2008

When Victoria Beckham announced that she had designed a range of dresses and would present them at New York fashion week, there was a rasp of Smythson pencils being sharpened, not altogether supportively, in the front row.

But yesterday afternoon, the select band of buyers and editors who viewed the collection changed their tune. "Beautiful", "desirable" and "classy" were among the words bandied about.

Top boutiques and department stores have already begun squabbling over the right to sell the first collection of dresses with "Victoria Beckham" in the label, left, when it hits stores in February.

With only 400 dresses being made in the first season, the range looks destined to be a sellout, even with retail prices starting at £650.

The 10 dresses are all immediately recognisable as signature Victoria Beckham. They are figure-hugging, cut to maximise curves, although with a modest below-the-knee hemline and come in sizes six to 14.

Couture-type fabrics - organza, silk gazar, taffeta - and restrained shades of black, navy, oyster and ivory (with one shot of electric blue) are offset by full-length rose gold zips running from the nape of the neck to the back of the knee.

The high standard of the collection prompted many to question whether Beckham, who has no design training, could take credit for their creation.

The influence of Roland Mouret, whose dresses Beckham often wears, is very visible in the collection, but Beckham said yesterday that she designed the entire collection with no assistance from Mouret or anyone else.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/09/celebrity.fashion

I am glad she got great reviews! I really like the way the dresses look, i think she has a great taste and a great sense of style.

Wow, such great positive reviews. I love the dresses, they are simply gorgeous! Thanks hun.

"I know I have a lot to learn, but over the years I think I have worked out how women want to look," she said.

not THIS woman...

:lol:...

Looks like a watered down version of Roland Mouret's work...
The black dress esp.

As far as celeb lines go, at least this looks like actual fashion. But it's definitely Roland Mouret and L'wren Scott's bastard child....a good looking one, but a bastard none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
not THIS woman...

:lol:...
Well that is quite harsh, there is plenty of women like me who agree with that sentance and appreciate her style, and how easy it is to take something out of the context like this and hate on it?!:rolleyes:

I think its awsome she also actually mentioned there that she has still alot to learn, i never saw J.Lo or Gwen say something like that.

And as soon as her collection is available in UK, hopefully i will get to try that first dress out when i am there.

Full collection>
Victoria Beckham Unveils Her Dress Line

Victoria Beckham Unveils Her Dress Line
by WWD Staff
Posted Monday September 08, 2008
From WWD.COM

Skeptics take note: Victoria Beckham just might be as savvy about her fashion career as she is serious. This week she is unveiling her latest product addition, a dress line, not in a high-hype celebrity show, but in a series of one-on-one meetings in a suite at the Waldorf Towers. Which makes perfect sense, given the tight group of 18, each looking very Posh. Make that post-Posh. Because these are not flashy pop-princess fare, but sleek, chic dresses with a sensuality derived from cut — long, lean, curvaceous — rather than bareness. “To me, ankles and collarbones are what’s sexy,” Beckham said. And dresses that suit a range of women are what’s smart. Thus, every look can be worn with a bra, some have sleeves and most, inner corsetry that Beckham insists is comfortable. “I didn’t want to make this challenging,” she explained. “I want it to be sexy and flattering, but in a way women will find sexy.” Her challenge, she acknowledged, is to get women willing to ante up — the line wholesales from $600 to $1,400 — past whatever preconceived notions they might have regarding her former cheesy pop-star status to take a frock or two in the fitting room. “When they get into the dresses,” she said, “they’re going to love them.”

victoria01.jpg

victoria02.jpg

victoria03.jpg

victoria04.jpg

victoria05.jpg

victoria06.jpg

victoria07.jpg

victoria08.jpg

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/victoria-beckham-unveils-her-dress-line-1759039?module=today#/

I've heard a lot of people saying good things about this. It looks pretty decent to me. Celebrity designer comments aside, I will give her that she's involved enough in fashion (in terms of constantly shopping, purchasing and trying things on) that I'm sure she has a good eye for detail, fabrics, fit, etc. I'm not a fan simply because it's not really my aesthetic. It's very 'her'. I think the best pieces are the ones with a separate look/fabric from top to bottom because the solid color dresses show the boning a bit. but otherwise, it looks nice.

Roland Mouret and Narciso Rodriguez called, they want their dresses back, Vic!!!

thanks so much for posting these. this is absolutely her style and she's done a solid job. i love the blue one, great color.

i'm particularly fond of the black and white dresses with the dipping neck line. i love the shapes of those dresses.

they're much more simple than i thought they'd be. but simple works here. really really nice first line. i'm happy for her.

I am not a dress girl myself but I love seeing women in dresses and no one rocks a dress better than VB, IMO! I think she's done a great job with this collection. I also like the fact that she actually stands behind her product 100% and wears EVERYTHING she puts out there - she is a walking ad for her brand and I :heart: it!

Well, it looks well made, I have to give it that. And it's definitely the most "fashiony" of all the celeb lines.

(I secretly love the iridescent blue/black cap sleeved dress :ninja:)

I agree Spike, that's one of the strongest and the most original. I also agree that the line is heavily influenced by the designers she wears and RM does stand out. But there is some originality in there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->