Vogue Italia August 2019 : Stephanie Seymour & Claudia Schiffer by Collier Schorr

Collier Shorr is the most annoying photographer working right now.
When the whole Testino/Weber thing was happening she was commenting on every Instagram post to drag them through the mud, relishing on the possibility of occupying their spots. It's a sad time in snowflake-fashion when a naked photo of a supermodel has to be explained and justified with a pretentious text from a talentless photographer.

Horrible covers and concepts which is odd considering these two are among the most photogenic women in the world! A selfie would have been a great cover.

There's something obnoxious about VI under Farneti, from the photography, layout, creative direction, the choice of photographers, the accompanying texts... and I don't know what is gonna make me like VI again.

It looks like a tacky cover-try photoshoot from those next top model shows. They made claudia look like a sticker glued onto the cover.

I've seen worse covers, I've seen better covers.
I am more surprised that Collier Schorr gets all this work because her photography is the most boring ever. I am sure there are thousands and thousands of better photographers who should be given a chance instead of her.

''She [Collier] is first and foremost an artist, and her angle is very interesting'' I laughed a lot. I don't see the purpose of that mirror? Why is it there? Ruined the entire photo which wasn't even that good to begin with.

cover story Claudia Schiffer & Stephanie Seymour

Stephanie by Stephanie

What do we see in Stephanie Seymour? For one, a mystery. All great beauties are. They can hold our gaze in a way that asks us to look deeper, to uncover more and more layers, as if they were ours to see. But Seymour is not like other great beauties. After all, she is one of the greatest beauties, a member of a caste so élite its members—Cindy, Linda, Claudia, Christy, Naomi—required an entire new category: the Supers. It was these supermodels, and in the 90s they were superstars, to whom waking up for less than $10,000, as Linda Evangelista famously joked, was not an option (the equivalent today might be 100,000 likes, which is to say there is none).

And yet Seymour’s mystery is more profound, more powerful. She’s covered more than 300 magazines and yet we know only the sparest details about her. We know she was discovered at 15, when she entered modeling agency Elite’s Look of the Year competition, and was soon in New York, dating that company’s founder, John Casablancas. Her past is less of a model than a cipher for 1980s and 90s glamour, media and art. Her unmatched figure and all-American pout beyond pout went on to inspire Richard Avedon—who called her body “perfect”—and serve as muse to Azzedine Alaïa, while she booked million-dollar deals with Victoria’s Secret and L’Oréal. She turned things on their heads, making her way through Warren Beatty and breaking the heart of Axl Rose—the last living rock god—before ending up with billionaire art collector and financier Peter Brant, which whom she has 3 children. Even when things have gone south (she and Brant looked to divorce in 2009 and she was arrested for a DUI in 2016), the mystery stays shrouded: she and Brant reconciled with the year; the DUI was removed from her record. She acts less like a fashionista than fashion royalty—above it all, and yet human—which has driven the press insane. When paparazzi pictures of she and her son being affectionate on a beach became public, newspapers and websites fed on them for what felt like years. Seymour didn’t blink. In an age of oversharing, where personalities and personal branding are often indecipherable, Seymour is not so much an oddity as a revelation. Something totally unique. In a world when everyone wants you to know them, Stephanie is known not to care. The harder we look, the more interesting question isn’t so much what we see, but what she does.

Here, she looks into a mirror—past the image—and reflects on both the work and the life she has made. She tells Vogue Italia about Helmut Newton’s fake nipples, Avedon’s rage, the responsibility of motherhood, and her path from girl to woman (as well as the secrets she and Naomi can never tell). As Seymour looks deeper into the mirror, she reveals that it’s a trap, both full of endless possibility and equally bottomless pitfalls. She considers her reflection—she cannot escape it—but she also moves through it, embracing herself as a mother, friend, wife and business owner. Seymour shows us a woman. And then she goes off to tend her garden.

You are someone who is famously seen. We’re asking you to look at yourself in this shoot. Tell me what you see.

I see a mother. I see a wife. I see all of the things I need to get done in a day. I see all of my responsibility. As you get older, you have a lot more responsibility as a woman. Taking charge of your life is really important. I try to think about not myself but the people I need to take care of, my children, my friends, my company, my husband. I am never one to think the world revolves around me.

That’s becoming so rare in our culture. I think about the selfie. Do you take them?

I don’t. It is fun to do selfies with your friends. But I am not sort of able to continue this sort of idea of self-promotion. I believe that was already done with my work. I prefer to let the work stand on its own.

What it was like to be discovered so young? You were a kid.

I sent my picture in to the Look of the Year and within a year and a half—I left school, I left my family, I left everything behind—I moved to New York. I was about 15. I didn’t really understand what I was doing, but my life completely changed. I think it was a really wonderful thing, and I think I was very blessed.

It was a lot of hard work. You had to work really hard at that time to get yourself noticed. You had to create a pretty thick skin for yourself. You had to learn that things were rarely going to go your way. People were going to promise you a lot of things. It teaches you a lot.

In the beginning, I was sort of a clothes hanger. I was really not included. I was whatever anybody needed me to be. After about 20 years, I really got it. I became inspired. And I really felt that it was a collaboration—great stylists, great hairdressers, great photographers, great models—all of us together creating beautiful images. When we were lucky. I made really good friends.

Like who?

All the girls, we always took care of each other. I always had difficulty doing shows. I can remember having horrible anxiety attacks backstage at the Dolce & Gabbana show in Milan. I was 19. I had lashes on and all kinds of make-up. I started crying. This was a period of time where all of the big girls did their own make-up. Linda and Naomi and Karen; they had their make-up boxes.Linda was really sweet. She took all of my make-up off and redid it. Linda is the best make-up artist of all.

As you became more well known, and then famous, did how you see yourself begin to change?

When models hit a period where they are very successful, they are still only a few years off from being a little girl and under the wing of your family. It is not really about what you see in the mirror. Nobody sees reality in the mirror. What you see in the mirror has nothing to do with who you are as a person. I think most of the girls who handled success well had strong families. I wanted to make my family proud. I wanted to make myself proud.

In general, I don’t think beautiful girls look in the mirror and think they are beautiful. They probably think the opposite. It is a shame. There’s that constant idea that what you look like is more important. But it isn’t what you look like, it’s who you are inside.

What was it like to shoot with Helmut Newton?

He had such a great sense of humor. And such a great eye for this restricted kind of dark sensual beauty. It was really interesting. He had these big rubber nipples. He liked to put them under the girls’ blouses so you would look like you had big hard nipples. I know that is really gross, but Helmut had it down to a science. He would come in with his glasses, and he would have you put them in your bra. It all seemed kind of bizarre. I don’t know if it entertained him or it really worked in the pictures, but I learned never to question the director. Some photographers you should question. But I would never, ever question him.

Even in the most sensual, dramatic pictures, there is often some kind of humor, something a schoolboy would laugh at.

My first job with him, we shot all day and at the end of the day, he said, “I’m taking some pictures of topless girls ironing. And I wondered if you could do a picture for me ironing?” The hairdresser put my hair in little braids, like the little German girls like he liked. I was in a little housekeeper’s outfit, but without a top. I was supposed to be ironing in the basement of this chateau. I said at the time, “Let’s take these pictures but you can’t use them without my permission.” By the time he got around to using them, I asked him not. He was so angry at me, so mad at me.

What is it like when Helmut Newton is mad at you?

It was horrible, devastating, to have him mad at you. What is it like when Avedon is mad at you? Ask me about that. He knew when to put you in a corner. He was gifted at controlling people, and he was a great director. I learned so much: I learned how to set my gaze. How to create intention in my eyes. I learned how to fall, how to jump. I may have thought I knew how to do those things before, but it was like going to school. Dick was a master of all of these things. He was a great model himself. He would show you exactly what to do. He could do it all. He would show you where to put your weight.

Almost like a choreographer.

Oh, he was a choreographer. And he did have choreographers come in and work with us from time to time: “Okay, I know your instinct is to put your weight on your right foot but put it on your left and raise your right arm.” Interesting things to change the movement of the photograph. He made you so important.

He taught me what the word collaboration really meant. Only once I had someone really treat me like that, a great artist, pull me in. He would allow me to sit and help him edit photographs from the day before. He would call me in and say, “Let’s do this together. Help me.” He might say, “I don’t like any of these. Look at them and agree with me that we have to reshoot.” And I would think, we just spent six hours shooting. But I had to agree that he was always right. It was a gift to have someone like that put energy and interest into me.

I wonder when you look at the fashion landscape now, do you see anyone working on a similar level?

I don’t think I could really say. I would love to see more of what is going on. I know that my son Harry is really excited about the shoot we are doing for Italian Vogue. I kind of defer to the younger people now.

Tell me how you got to know Gianni Versace.

Before Gianni, there used to be show models and fashion models. They were a completely different set of girls. Gianni loved the girls who did the shows but wanted the other girls too. Linda, Naomi, this girl, that girl. I never made myself available to do shows because they made me very nervous. He wasn’t going to take no for an answer. He called my agency, offered me a lot of money to do a show. When my agent told me, I said, “He knows I don’t do shows, right?”

I had a relationship with Versace I didn’t have with anyone else. I would go to Milan to do Versace, but I didn’t do any other shows. They always knew how to take care of the girls way beyond anyone else. All of a sudden, you were in the best hotel. I already had my son Dylan, and I would arrive to flowers in the room and toys for him. A car to pick me up and take me to work every day, wait for me outside, and take me home. You were taken into someone’s arms. You were under the Versace wing.

And working with Versace altered your career path.

Versace always worked with the best people. Avedon did all of their campaigns. I started doing a lot of the campaigns with Dick. Nobody did campaigns like that. They were incredible. There were no rules. Gianni would say “Whatever you want to do, Dick. That’s fine.” They would talk on the phone every morning. He’d send them the pictures from the day before. Gianni knew how to get everyone to come in and keep everyone close. That’s a very special thing.

What was your personal relationship?

He was always all about work until he fell in love. Everything changed. He started collecting art. He smiled more. And then he was taken from us, and that was such a tragedy. The last couple of times I saw him, I couldn’t believe how happy he was.

That time of the Supers and Versace--do you have a favorite memory, something you might kick around at a cocktail party?

I never kick anything around at a cocktail party. I’m very guarded about my life. I have a lot of good memories, and they are probably all with Naomi. We went through our teens, twenties and thirties together. I wish I could get into detail. Certain people would never forgive me.

How have you evolved since then, as a person, as a woman?

I started modeling when I was 15 and I’m 51 now. If I haven’t had a multitude of evolutions over these years, there would be something wrong with me. I am always trying to be a better person. Can I learn more? Can I be a better mother? Can I be a better friend? Can I be a better wife? The evolution is very complex. Things happen. They change you, but you really end up coming back to your core values and striving for those same things over and over and over again.

What about physically—how has the relationship with your own body changed?

I’m accepting. I can accept that I don’t look the same, that my body is not the same. I don’t always like what is looking back at me, that I’m older or heavier. I try to keep a mantra going. The mantra is that keeping your mind active and busy is much more important than looking at yourself in the mirror and picking on yourself. Women look beautiful at every age of their life. I try not to get caught up in what I used to look like or what girls look like now. If I put more of my focus on things that make me feel good, gardening—I am growing a lot of lavender and tomatoes—or designing my line, spending time with my children, it’s a very different life.

Your lingerie line, Raven & Sparrow, is a celebration of women’s bodies. You’ve said that it challenges the idea of lingerie being made for men.

Exactly. You would go around and look for lingerie and a lot of what you find is really more what an old woman wants to sleep in, or what men would like. There was nothing in between. Men want things that are completely not reasonable: the garter belts and stockings, totally uncomfortable to wear out or to sleep in. Men actually like a lot more than they know they like. I like to push these things on men. It’s like when a girl wears an oversized t-shirt, the morning after, how sexy that is. Who would sell that? I would sell that. But we are specializing in is sleepwear, nightgowns, peignoirs, loungewear.

It is more about what we like to call the ritual of dressing for bed. I like to go to sleep in something that makes me feel good so that when I wake up in the morning, I feel good about that too.

That idea of feeling good when you see yourself, it makes me think of my first question, of what you see in the mirror. After all this reflection on your career, on your life, can you look in the mirror and tell me what you see?

A woman, not a girl anymore. Only a woman can know what that means. It does accompany a lot. It is pretty heavy stuff, but I’ve actually had to take that burden on. I look in the mirror and say, “Alright now, let’s get through another day. You are a woman now. You can do this.”

Claudia on Claudia

“So, where are we going to do this?” Claudia Schiffer has spent the day being photographed by Collier Schorr for Vogue Italia. The shoot has run late, just over an hour or so, while model and photographer nailed a few last looks.

Yet while Schiffer may be on a schedule, she will not be rushed. Both in Schorr’s shoot and in this interview, her role is supposed to be that of the subject. She is the story, not the author: whether through Schorr’s lens or a writer’s pen, Schiffer’s image is being defined by another perspective. Right?

Wrong, wrong, wrong: Schiffer is both the master of that image and her own body of work. Her famous physical form - the reason Schiffer, now 49, was first scouted in a Dusseldorf disco back in 1987 - remains outrageously beautiful. Since the very beginning her blondeness, her ski-slope bone structure, and her phenomenally philtrumed lips have reminded her beholders of other archetypal beauties. Gilles Bensimon once said of Schiffer that “she is more Bardot than Bardot was”, an observation of which she says: “It was odd to be compared to someone so iconic, but I quickly realised what a huge compliment it was.”

Inarguably even odder has been her regular comparison with Barbie, an (albeit iconic) piece of plastic. In true Schiffer tradition, she has turned this projection on its head by embracing it. First, in 1994, she worked with Ellen von Unwerth (the photographer who launched her career, and whose own career Schiffer was instrumental in launching) on the famous Claudia: The Real Barbie editorial for Vogue Italia. Remembering that shoot, Schiffer says: “It was everything you could imagine, PVC dresses and enormous hair that kept getting bigger and bigger. Aside from the fact everyone kept touching my hair, so that I genuinely started to feel like a doll, what was memorable is how Ellen had me inhabit the role as we reconstructed classic Barbie poses. The irony of the shoot wasn’t lost on me: here was a model playing at being a mute mannequin, but conversely what it underlined was how recognisable we’d all become: it poked fun at the idea that the only thing we did was pose and dress up.”

In 2017, her 30th year in the business, Barbie created a special “Claudia Schiffer Barbie”, a 29 cm high reproduction of the model wearing almost the same gold Versace chainmail dress she would wear in that September’s memorable runway return (her first since Dolce&Gabbana’s A/W show in 2009) for Versace alongside her fellow first-generation supermodels Cindy Crawford, Carla Bruni, Naomi Campbell and Helena Christensen. That moment created the sensation of the season - especially for those of us who never saw the supermodels walk the first time around - and had an audience that included Pierpaolo Piccioli, Alessandro Michele and Anthony Vaccarello on their feet cheering and applauding in raptures. Yet Schiffer firmly says she has no plans for another catwalk cameo - although she is careful not to rule the notion out entirely: “it would have to be something very special.”

The more time I spend with Schiffer, the more it dawns on me that her often-cited shyness - which she says was the product of her youthful self-consciousness at being so startlingly tall in her home town of Rheinberg, and which made her at first reluctant to graduate from editorial shoots to the runway - has been comprehensively kicked to the curb. In its place is an aura of complete calm and total self-control. She pays very careful attention to the questions put to her, and even more so to her answers. Her gaze is sometimes unreadable, sometimes warm (especially when we discuss her home life) and sometimes passingly sardonic: it gives me the unsettling sense that it is not she being interviewed, but me.

Schiffer’s job, after all, is to be watched, and she has long-honed her technique for using the startling physicality that is her raw material to shape the scrutiny it so magnetically attracts. This she bends to her own design, or that of the people she is working with. During her career she has lent that skill to service many of the greatest photographers in the world, working with them to create some of the most impactful imagery in the fashion canon. Her shoot today with Shorr is the first time the two have collaborated, and as she discusses Shorr’s technique it becomes clear that the focus Schiffer receives from her photographers is returned. “The older generation of photographers I worked with in the 90s, such as Herb Ritts and Richard Avedon, they didn’t do much retouching - they never needed to, because they were geniuses at lighting, so when you saw the pictures they were all pretty much perfect. The new generation tends to be different - there is less time spent on the lighting and more spent working on the images in post-production. So it is a completely different style. But interestingly Collier is exactly like Avedon in that her lighting is immaculate. It’s amazing.”

At today’s shoot the collaborative rapport between her and Schorr has been so synchronised that some of the images were shuttered by Schiffer. “Yes, there were several where I took the picture, obviously after it had been set up by Collier. She is first and foremost an artist, and her angle is very interesting - it comes from a completely different direction - and it has edge.” For one of those images, says Schiffer, “I was trying to laugh hysterically, as if I was crazy, delirious, just ridiculously over the top. I was imagining myself alone, completely unselfconscious to add that key ingredient that elevates the result from being just a straight look to the camera, and click.” That level of involvement means that some of these images are effectively Schorr-curated self-portraits: Claudia on Claudia.

When Avedon first shot Schiffer, he commented “this girl is a dream”. His practice was to shoot alongside a mirror turned to the subject that allowed that subject to see themselves as Avedon did: it was an invitation to participate in the image’s creation. Today - via the digital equivalent of a mirror - that invitation was extended by Schorr as well. “As long as the screen is turned towards you, as it was today, you can get a good idea of what is working, what isn’t, and what you can change to make it better.”

And how does Schiffer work to make the images better? “It’s very varied, depending on the context and what we are working to get. But basically I am entertaining myself as I am working. So I’m going from being perfectly serious to hilariously ridiculous... you go through a whole range of emotions within the shot… and maybe all decorum goes out the window: it is about concentrating on exactly what the photographer is saying and then taking that guidance, combining it with how you are feeling, and then expressing it. And that is the most important part, the thing that inspires photographers to want to work with girls over and over again. What they need is pure concentration.”

To become attuned to the photographer and fluid enough to help shape the image they want to capture, Schiffer says she projects herself into “a state of silliness”. She explains: “It’s something I learned that from Ellen von Unwerth, who was a model before she was a photographer and understands it from both sides. You go back to how you were when you were a kid: just silly, and free, with no worries and no self-consciousness. It looks cute, and if you are an adult - depending on what you are wearing - it can look sexy too. But you mix hilarity and seriousness, up and down, up and down, until you find that point of contact that connects with the photographer to create an image that you will remember because it evokes an emotion. And I think photographs can only evoke an emotion if there has been an emotion on set as well.”

Finding that revelatory moment of emotion - a moment of creative congress that connects model and photographer - is the factor that Schiffer believes makes the difference between a so-so image and an unforgettable one. She says: “There are pictures which are deemed iconic and then there are pictures which are just deemed fashion shots. They show the fashion, and that’s it. So you look through them and think “oh that’s pretty” and then you move on and you pretty much forget them. You might even actually look at them again and maybe not remember that you’ve already seen them before. That is one side. Then the other is photography so striking that you will always remember that you saw it in a magazine and when you saw it because it evoked that emotion: it is a photograph in which something special happens.”

As Schiffer describes it, the working practice of the many different photographers who have been drawn to capture her image varies hugely. Take Steven Meisel, with whom Schiffer first collaborated under the flag of Vogue Italia for a 1990 Per Lui cover story. “I still remember that shoot very well, and that it was incredible. We worked in the studio and also outside in New York. Steven is such a strong photographer partly because he oversees every tiny detail. Everything, down to hair and make-up, is exactly as he wants it. Other photographers allow themselves to be open to the input of the rest of the team, but Steven has a total vision that is already in his head before the shoot of how the image is going to be.”

For Schiffer the craziest heights of fame came after she had already established herself - via her very earliest work with Von Unwerth - as an editorial model. Despite her success in print, she was hesitant about making the transition to the catwalk. As previously mentioned it seems difficult to credit today, but the reason was shyness. It took the encouragement and mentorship of Karl Lagerfeld to help her make the first step that would catalyse her rise to the rank of supermodel. Schiffer says: “Karl taught me about fashion but also about longevity in fashion. And he made me understand the power of confidence and being yourself. And clearly because he was one of the most powerful people in the fashion industry for him to be supporting me - for him to be saying “you are the one” - that makes for an amazing seal of approval when you are very young and just finding your feet. My very first show was for Karl and Chanel and that was a pivotal moment in my career - it transformed me from a shy teenager into a supermodel. So I will always be grateful to Karl because his support and belief in me is what led to my long career in fashion.”

The week before this meeting, Schiffer had returned to Paris for Lagerfeld’s memorial celebration, Karl Forever, at the Grand Palais. She says: “it was a beautiful event for everyone who had a connection with him. Karl was a driving force in fashion for so long, but a lot of people in the business only stay in it for 10 years or so, and this was a chance to see Karl at all the evolving stages of his life. It was very interesting, and touching, and funny… everybody knew Karl as such a powerful and stern character - that was part of his image - but he was so funny too, and that really came out.”

Lagerfeld’s patronage helped propel Schiffer to supermodel status, and Schiffer gamely recalls both highlights and lowlights of that “intense and amazing” time. Highlights included walking for Gianni Versace to a Prince soundtrack, only to see Prince himself sitting on the front row. Or a shoot with Arthur Elgort in Rome based on La Dolce Vita in which, while posing on a hotel balcony, hundreds of fans in the piazza below were changing her name. Even the lowlights are hilarious: “there was the time I went backstage after a show only to find that all my underwear had been stolen. So from then on I had to have a bodyguard guard my underwear.” Of her fellow supermodels she says: “We always had a sense of community, which is why when we meet up today it feels like a school reunion. We were on the cover of every magazine and in every campaign and whilst we were definitely competitive, we always looked out for each other too. And we were never afraid to speak up which is why we developed unprecedented control over our careers.”

Schiffer started to step back from fashion’s front line when she met her husband, the film director Matthew Vaughn, and they started to build their family. Now, she says, she focuses on working on “collaborations which are relatively short-lived - typically between three to five years - and which allow me creative input, involve working with people whom I admire, and which give me the time for family life. I’m proud of the products I’ve been involved in creating. And even though these collaborations are made with different companies they all have a common design aesthetic: put them together on a shelf and they look like they are part of the same brand, with the same language.” She adds: “I have had some great partners in the past like TSE, Aquazzura, and Rizzoli for my coffee table book and I’m always thinking of new ideas, whether that’s when I’m travelling or looking at shows. At the moment I’m the face of Chanel’s J12 watch campaign and Ba&sh. I’m also developing a ceramics collection and a new fashion collaboration for next year.”

She is extremely assiduous in defending the privacy of the home life.The ability to retain a sense of privacy - a life unscrutinised - is she believes one of the biggest challenges of our time. “I love sharing fashion moments of my life on Instagram, but I also miss the clear line of the public figure versus the private one. In the 90s you didn’t feel pressure to share everything with everybody, you could still have a private life and create a mystique around you.”

Today, says Schiffer, her closest creative confidant is Vaughn, with whom she shares a workspace at their country home. “We are together all the time so if he needs an opinion I can give it, and equally if I need an opinion I will ask him. We have a very productive back and forth that, works really well. Some people can't work together and also be a couple but we are very good at it.” Although they had previously met in passing, Schiffer and Vaughn got together after being set up on a blind date in Los Angeles. During that date Schiffer mentioned that she liked tortoises, and Vaughn - very cleverly - took this as his cue to declare a romantic intention. Schiffer recalls: “A week later a tortoise appeared at my front door. And so, wherever I am in the world I try and find a tortoise. She adds that the original tortoise is “still going strong 18 years later” and was later joined by two more real-life tortoises “because we thought the first one might feel lonely.”

As she riffs on her reptilian love tokens, Schiffer’s eye flickers almost imperceptibly down towards her Chanel-encircled wrist. It is the first moment in the interview when she has seemed less than totally focused on her answers, and it is a signal. The time has come for her to step off the set and return to Vaughn, the kids, the dogs and the tortoises: real life.
vogue.it

''She [Collier] is first and foremost an artist, and her angle is very interesting'' I laughed a lot. I don't see the purpose of that mirror? Why is it there? Ruined the entire photo which wasn't even that good to begin with.

Collier is in almost all pictures of this editorial, she wears styled looks, like she's modeling. It looks so forced.

I like the main editorial is a thousand times better than the cover. And nothing has to do with a Helmut Newton tribute... I didn’t see Helmut’s work ressemblence in Collier pictures.

Being said, the only Helmut Newton tribute that matters is what Vogue Spain did this month with Adriana and Irina. That’s all.

The fact that they decided to run that DIRECTIONLESS editorial is very telling of the current taste of this magazine

Once upon a time this magazine was the shining light in fashion. Something EVERYONE looked towards for inspiration and adoration. Now it's the laughing stock and each month that goes by I'm astounded by how low the content gets. Everytime I think "can it get any worse", it manages to exceed my now very low expectations.
I know it will never be the torch it once was but the powers at be at Conde Nast must surely be aware that this simply doesn't work. What must Farneti do to be relieved of his role???

Collier injecting herself in the cover shoot leave such a bitter aftertaste. I can't believe I never picked up on her ego because now that I think of it, Krow Kian was also styled after her, and shot by her, for L'uomo a few months ago. How could Vanessa have agreed to this? Of course Farneti would because the guy is clueless!

Enough has been rightly said about the sad state of affairs with these covers, but I must say all Stephanie's shots leave me cold. Some of Claudia's only work because of her beauty, but her poses too are so underwhelming.

@grimm For CN and Farneti it's actually working. He's not going anywhere, sadly. As long as he's got a trending cover every now and then with a 80s/90s model or a Jenner/Hadid, he's safe. He's also been rebranding Milan FNO, there'll likely be another 'Make Italy Great Again' cover next month, and he's still pushing for more frequency of L'uomo. Plus he's running a few art/design/retail initiatives for the magazine.That's sadly what makes a great editor for CN in 2019. Not how the actual magazine looks, but how much the EIC can expand the Vogue brand beyond the magazine.
It's not that he's an awful editor, it's that just not a right fit for this specific magazine. If he's got a vision, I simply can't see it AT ALL.

What must Farneti do to be relieved of his role???

Basically the opposite of why his covers are SAFE. He’s avoiding a scandal/negative publicity. Gone are the days where an editor can get away with an editorial with Lara Stone in (quasi) blackface, or a Gisele cover which people found to be reminiscent to a King Kong poster. The final nail in the coffin of Carine was the controversy surrounding the child editorial she made. Heck Vogue Arabia fired an editor for copying the mood for her inaugural issue, Ukraine fired the editor for plagiarizing her editors letters. The common denominator? All were publicized and went against the CN image. This is exactly why Farneti’s choices have been safe borderline boring.

Basically the opposite of why his covers are SAFE. He’s avoiding a scandal/negative publicity. Gone are the days where an editor can get away with an editorial with Lara Stone in (quasi) blackface, or a Gisele cover which people found to be reminiscent to a King Kong poster. The final nail in the coffin of Carine was the controversy surrounding the child editorial she made. Heck Vogue Arabia fired an editor for copying the mood for her inaugural issue, Ukraine fired the editor for plagiarizing her editors letters. The common denominator? All were publicized and went against the CN image. This is exactly why Farneti’s choices have been safe borderline boring.

So is he to blame? Or the people that basically complain about everything?

This is so sad. They don't have any idea of creativity or direction. Stephanie and Claudia are two legends and not deserves this mediocrity. Currently, the worst magazine of the big 4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->